ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 8: You're Killing Me Smalls

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 8: You're Killing Me Smalls 

Post#1921 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:48 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boston?

No, we don't have any cash at all to sign both of em, unless they both agree to the vet min. I think we renounced his rights, if I'm not mistaking(Marcus')?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1922 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:49 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I don’t think a lockout will solve anything.

We are in a new era of pro basketball where all these players view each other as pals from a young age and are quick to leave their teams because they don’t want to waste their career. LeBron’s move away from Cleveland changed the NBA forever. He basically said **** you Cleveland I’ll do my own thing in Miami and won two titles.

Ill be shocked if the owners dont demand a franchise tag in the next CBA

Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

Then the lockout will persist until the 99%ers of the league realize they value a paycheck more than they care about the 1%ers being impacted by a tag.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#1923 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:50 am

Even if Kawhi doesn’t sign with Lakers, the mere fact that he decides if NBA is ruined for me for another 5 years is enough. Lock out until agents lose power over league. Owners need to play hard ball here and I never take their side. In fact, I am not taking players or owners side. I want lockout for the fans who spend so much money on games, merch, shoes etc. that supports this league. Or else I want to see NBA teams fold.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#1924 » by Darthlukey » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:58 am

Theocy wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:yup. So many super teams created by free agent super stars teaming up and leaving the small market teams to get wrecked. Something will change and the players won't like it.

Yep. Charles Barkley predicted a future lockout back in February and I agree with him whole heartedly. A good 20+ teams just basically have no shot of ever winning and Id expect the owners to change this.

If the NBA is loosing value and I think it is players will soon be impacted. This whole lakers charade is just too much. One of the worst run organisations in recent years is one step from becoming an unprecedented powerhouse. That's a spit in the face of all franchises that have been struggling to grow players only to loose then for nothing.

On the other hand imposing limitations to where one can play might have bad reprecasions.

Agreed. It's about making all teams attractive, not restricting movement as such. It's gotta be done with the carrot, not the stick
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#1925 » by TA42 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:59 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Then the lockout will persist until the 99%ers of the league realize they value a paycheck more than they care about the 1%ers being impacted by a tag.

What if they just got rid of player options on contracts? Would get rid of the scenario of guys signing 1+1's and would allow the team at least one more year of control.

Maybe you go down the road of draft pick compensation for teams that lose a player that was on an all-star or all-nba team the previous year? You can sign Kyrie from us but in exchange you must convey an unprotected pick.

Maybe teams that lose an all-star or all-nba player in free agency receive some type of cap exception that would allow them to sign someone as long as they're not presently above tax apron?
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1926 » by Edug27 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:00 pm

Random, but us Celtics fans spent the season downplaying the Kyrie & Lebron “phone call” and the Kyrie and KD tunnel conversation during All Star weekend where he seemed to say “2 max spots”.

In hindsight it seems both of those were huge. I do feel Kyrie was committed to Boston until mid season. And Im sure during that phone call Lebron provided guidance and mentioned finding happiness and “going home”. It was also mentioned that KD wanted NY with or without Kyrie.. and at first wanted the Knicks and was sort of convinced into BK since Kyrie was set on going there. I’m sure Kyrie was working that magic throughout All Star weekend.

Just a rant. But def worthy of a 20 for 20 episode in a few years. Lol.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#1927 » by FeedReed » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:03 pm

hope kat for tatum is still in play. c’s are contenders if that move was to be made. sorry, but tatum is a total fraud to me, and they already have enough wings.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#1928 » by BigTrade92 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:03 pm

I need some Cousins rumors today
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1929 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:04 pm

TA42 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

What if they just got rid of player options on contracts? Would get rid of the scenario of guys signing 1+1's and would allow the team at least one more year of control.

Maybe you go down the road of draft pick compensation for teams that lose a player that was on an all-star or all-nba team the previous year? You can sign Kyrie from us but in exchange you must convey an unprotected pick.

Maybe teams that lose an all-star or all-nba player in free agency receive some type of cap exception that would allow them to sign someone as long as they're not presently above tax apron?

None of these really fix the problems:

-players are colluding to get themselves to one of 4 or 5 locations and the owners have limited ability to do anything about it

-a good 20 teams have to be flawless to have a chance at a title. Another 3 or 4 have to be near flawless. Another 3 or 4 have to be just pretty good. And a final 2 or 3 can completely **** up without repercussions.

The tag is the only way to really fix this.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,037

Post#1930 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:09 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Hmmm sort of a microcosm for something else...but that would be pretty off topic

But yes something needs to be tweaked in the next CBA and I don’t have the perfect answer. Something like a franchise tag but maybe somehow more player friendly than the NFLs maybe?

It’s a fine line between rights of the players and competitiveness. I think a bigger incentive to stay with current team for players could help.
Sign here
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1931 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:10 pm

FeedReed wrote:hope kat for tatum is still in play. c’s are contenders if that move was to be made. sorry, but tatum is a total fraud to me, and they already have enough wings.

Minnesota isnt trading KAT. People really need to move on from this pipe dream.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1932 » by jmr07019 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:11 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Even if Kawhi doesn’t sign with Lakers, the mere fact that he decides if NBA is ruined for me for another 5 years is enough. Lock out until agents lose power over league. Owners need to play hard ball here and I never take their side. In fact, I am not taking players or owners side. I want lockout for the fans who spend so much money on games, merch, shoes etc. that supports this league. Or else I want to see NBA teams fold.

This 1000%. More fans should have this attitude.
Show Love Spread Love
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#1933 » by TA42 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:13 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
TA42 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

None of these really fix the problems:

-players are colluding to get themselves to one of 4 or 5 locations and the owners have limited ability to do anything about it

-a good 20 teams have to be flawless to have a chance at a title. Another 3 or 4 have to be near flawless. Another 3 or 4 have to be just pretty good. And a final 2 or 3 can completely **** up without repercussions.

The tag is the only way to really fix this.

So essentially - the best way to rebuild your team is to clear cap space and know who's friends with who. Have enough cap space to sign two max guys and hopefully already have one of their friends on the team.
Green White Red
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#1934 » by Green White Red » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:13 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Even if Kawhi doesn’t sign with Lakers, the mere fact that he decides if NBA is ruined for me for another 5 years is enough. Lock out until agents lose power over league. Owners need to play hard ball here and I never take their side. In fact, I am not taking players or owners side. I want lockout for the fans who spend so much money on games, merch, shoes etc. that supports this league. Or else I want to see NBA teams fold.

or go the other way, owners and front office that are not part of the of that small circle that fail their way to the top, lay down.
Start appeasing to every whiny player, agent, friend, family etc
gift everything to those franchise, take their bad contracts etc etc
make the league even a bigger joke :wave:
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1935 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:13 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
FeedReed wrote:hope kat for tatum is still in play. c’s are contenders if that move was to be made. sorry, but tatum is a total fraud to me, and they already have enough wings.

Minnesota isnt trading KAT. People really need to move on from this pipe dream.

Agreed, plus Enes is here!!!!!!!
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#1936 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:16 pm

Can fans unionize ;). Mostly joking, we are addicted and will take what they give us.
Sign here
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#1937 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:17 pm

Have the Celtics completely moved on from Clint Capela? I know the Rockets idea was to clear space for Butler, but what if we offer a more raw but way less used Jaylen Brown? Adding RW3 & Yabu gets it done from a salary matching standpoint. Some may find it selling low on Brown but I don't necessarily agree, plus he's due for a big time raise.

Walker / Edwards
Smart / Langford
Hayward / Ojeleye
Tatum / Williams
Capela / Kanter

If it's not Capela, another defensive minded center works too. This just balances the roster so much more & it's certainly a team I can get behind.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1938 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:18 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I don’t think a lockout will solve anything.

We are in a new era of pro basketball where all these players view each other as pals from a young age and are quick to leave their teams because they don’t want to waste their career. LeBron’s move away from Cleveland changed the NBA forever. He basically said **** you Cleveland I’ll do my own thing in Miami and won two titles.

They need to raise the max contract, so guys teaming up with two other stars have to take a serious paycut to get it done. We'll see how much they want to play with their buddies then.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1939 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:28 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boston?

No, we don't have any cash at all to sign both of em, unless they both agree to the vet min. I think we renounced his rights, if I'm not mistaking(Marcus')?

The twins are in LA right now.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,676

Post#1940 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:28 pm

So i wake up this morning and yet leonard still hasn’t made a decision? Doesn’t look good for Toronto or the clippers .

Return to Boston Celtics