ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 8: You're Killing Me Smalls

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 8: You're Killing Me Smalls 

Post#1941 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:30 pm

3D Chess wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Ill be shocked if the owners dont demand a franchise tag in the next CBA

Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

They need to raise the max contract, so guys teaming up with two other stars have to take a serious paycut to get it done. We'll see how much they want to play with their buddies then.

This is all it would really take. If the cap is $110 million, and you raised max contracts to 50% of the cap, then Lebron would have been making $55 million/year. Add in AD, even at his current contract of $21 million and that brings the Lakers to $76 million. Good luck trying to convince Kawhi to settle for $34 million/year when the Raptors are offering him $55 million/year.

Oddly enough, the players association might even shoot this idea down because moving more of the money towards superstars means less money for all of the JAGs.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1942 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:30 pm

3D Chess wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Ill be shocked if the owners dont demand a franchise tag in the next CBA

Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

They need to raise the max contract, so guys teaming up with two other stars have to take a serious paycut to get it done. We'll see how much they want to play with their buddies then.
No they need franchise tags and to enforce rules that agents cant discuss free agent business until after the free agency period is lifted.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1943 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:32 pm

KGboss wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

No they need franchise tags and to enforce rules that agents cant discuss free agent business until after the free agency period is lifted.

That horse has bolted man, absolutely no chance.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1944 » by greenroom31 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:34 pm

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:So i wake up this morning and yet leonard still hasn’t made a decision? Doesn’t look good for Toronto or the clippers .

Based on what I've read and am guessing, he met with Lakers first, Clippers last night, meeting with Toronto today and will likely announce his decision tonight or tomorrow after those meetings.

Lakers seems to be the most likely destination at this moment but that could also be based on leaks from their FO that the meeting "went well" in an effort to freak out LAC and TOR.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#1945 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:37 pm

3D Chess wrote:
KGboss wrote:
3D Chess wrote:They need to raise the max contract, so guys teaming up with two other stars have to take a serious paycut to get it done. We'll see how much they want to play with their buddies then.

Then this league is going to get more and more stupid and if you dont happen to be in the spot that some star wants to play in for the next decade then oh well.

Teams like Minnesota will never win a championship at this rate.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1946 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:37 pm

Speaking of leaks - that Laker insider on reddit turned out to be Jeannie Buss' nephew. LOL. If the Raptors were smart, they'd be wise to point out their organization is pretty good at keeping secrets - something which Kawhi apparently values.
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#1947 » by greenroom31 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:39 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Can’t ever see the players agreeing to that.

This is all it would really take. If the cap is $110 million, and you raised max contracts to 50% of the cap, then Lebron would have been making $55 million/year. Add in AD, even at his current contract of $21 million and that brings the Lakers to $76 million. Good luck trying to convince Kawhi to settle for $34 million/year when the Raptors are offering him $55 million/year.

Oddly enough, the players association might even shoot this idea down because moving more of the money towards superstars means less money for all of the JAGs.

Well the other issue is that it's not super hard for these billionaire owners (and even the top few super wealthy players) to funnel money to players without having to dip into "team money".

Two examples. LeBron and the Lakers got AD to waive his $4M trade kicker. Would you say no to $4M that is contractually yours? I wouldn't. So how do they fix it? Hey AD, come be in my movie and dunk on some CGI aliens -- how does $4M sound?

Second example: Dirk taking less in Dallas. Mark Cuban can pay him in the form of some "Mavs Ambassador for Life" job instead of having to put it through the team.

Basically my point is that if these guys want to circumvent the rules in order to play together they will figure out a way to do so.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1948 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:39 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Speaking of leaks - that Laker insider on reddit turned out to be Jeannie Buss' nephew. LOL. If the Raptors were smart, they'd be wise to point out their organization is pretty good at keeping secrets - something which Kawhi apparently values.

lol, links please. How did this come out?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1949 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:41 pm

KGboss wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
KGboss wrote:No they need franchise tags and to enforce rules that agents cant discuss free agent business until after the free agency period is lifted.

Then this league is going to get more and more stupid and if you dont happen to be in the spot that some star wants to play in for the next decade then oh well.

Dude, Minnesota was tampering with D-Lo too. If there is anything these past 2 days has taught us - it is the fact that EVERYONE has been tampering. Even Ainge hinted at it with his "I wish I could tell you guys what I know, but there are many players dying to play for us" statement before the draft last week.

And again - it's not the tampering that is causing players to team up. Its the fact that you can jam 2-3 max contracts under the salary cap that allows for it.
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,286

Post#1950 » by watsonthedragon » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:43 pm

Kemba-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Kanter line up is pretty damn exciting. If Hayward returns to form they can compete with anyone in the east.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#1951 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:44 pm

KGboss wrote:
3D Chess wrote:That horse has bolted man, absolutely no chance.

Dude, Minnesota was tampering with D-Lo too. If there is anything these past 2 days has taught us - it is the fact that EVERYONE has been tampering. Even Ainge hinted at it with his "I wish I could tell you guys what I know, but there are many players dying to play for us" statement before the draft last week.

And again - it's not the tampering that is causing players to team up. Its the fact that you can jam 2-3 max contracts under the salary cap that allows for it.
Someone better than me at business and finance can figure it out but I think we all agree whats about to happen in LA and what we've had to deal with with golden state needs to end.

How about a rule that if you make an all NBA first team 2 years in a row you cant team up with more than 1 all NBA player.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1952 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:48 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
3D Chess wrote:They need to raise the max contract, so guys teaming up with two other stars have to take a serious paycut to get it done. We'll see how much they want to play with their buddies then.

Well the other issue is that it's not super hard for these billionaire owners (and even the top few super wealthy players) to funnel money to players without having to dip into "team money".

Two examples. LeBron and the Lakers got AD to waive his $4M trade kicker. Would you say no to $4M that is contractually yours? I wouldn't. So how do they fix it? Hey AD, come be in my movie and dunk on some CGI aliens -- how does $4M sound?

Second example: Dirk taking less in Dallas. Mark Cuban can pay him in the form of some "Mavs Ambassador for Life" job instead of having to put it through the team.

Basically my point is that if these guys want to circumvent the rules in order to play together they will figure out a way to do so.

Kyrie waived his trade kicker to get to Boston. Does that mean Wyc and Danny showed up with a gym bag full of unmarked bills?

Following a paper trail of money involving millions of dollars is easy, IMO. If the NBA can't track millions of dollars, then they are a trash organization.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1953 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:51 pm

KGboss wrote:
KGboss wrote:Then this league is going to get more and more stupid and if you dont happen to be in the spot that some star wants to play in for the next decade then oh well.

Someone better than me at business and finance can figure it out but I think we all agree whats about to happen in LA and what we've had to deal with with golden state needs to end.

How about a rule that if you make an all NBA first team 2 years in a row you cant team up with more than 1 all NBA player.

Even if you took every GM's, players, agents' cellphones and locked them up in a giant safe and said "Guys, you'll all get your cellphones come June 30th, 6 PM EST!", there's still no way to stop these guys from contacting each other.

As for your last idea - good luck selling that idea to the players' union and limiting player movement.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1954 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:54 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boston?

No, we don't have any cash at all to sign both of em, unless they both agree to the vet min. I think we renounced his rights, if I'm not mistaking(Marcus')?

Just my idea and I’m not sure about the cap required but I’d bet klutch has Mook waiting to see what happens with kawhi and if it doesn’t happen Mook will be a laker. If it’s possible to get kawhi and then Mook I wouldn’t be shocked st that either.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1955 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:55 pm

3D Chess wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Speaking of leaks - that Laker insider on reddit turned out to be Jeannie Buss' nephew. LOL. If the Raptors were smart, they'd be wise to point out their organization is pretty good at keeping secrets - something which Kawhi apparently values.

lol, links please. How did this come out?

It was on reddit. All of the threads are a barren wasteland now, but a bunch of users (presumably angry Raptors fans) decided to doxx that RDAmbition account. Started off with the discovery that he was a Trump supporter. Ended off with them putting 2 and 2 together - RDAmbition stands for Riley Drexel.

The lesson to be learned here - if you ever start up a burner account, don't include your real initials in the screen name.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1956 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:55 pm

Was there any legit or accuracy to the boogie rumors? Or just bs
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1957 » by cloverleaf » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:56 pm

KGboss wrote:
3D Chess wrote:That horse has bolted man, absolutely no chance.

What Danny referenced of course isn't necessarily tampering. E.g., Kemba could tell Tatum, I would love to be able to play with you in Boston and Tatum could in turn tell that to Danny.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#1958 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:57 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Was there any legit or accuracy to the boogie rumors? Or just bs
Smitty is saying on Twitter its BS

nickgammon
Pro Prospect
And1: 873

Post#1959 » by nickgammon » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:57 pm

KGboss wrote:
KGboss wrote:Then this league is going to get more and more stupid and if you dont happen to be in the spot that some star wants to play in for the next decade then oh well.

I think there should be a system where you can only have sign one player on a max contract that wasn’t drafted by your team. And it only has to be a max contract at the time the contract was signed. So you wouldn’t get the 08 Celtics or the LBJ Heat, but you would still get the KD Warriors. While it was a weak move by KD, that was also great GM work by Bob Meyers to put his team in that position.

That being said, KD and Kyrie both took less than the max to sign with Brooklyn. That’s a potential loophole that may need to be figured out. Or, if guys are willing to take that much of a pay cut, let them play wherever they want. As much as it sucks for small market teams, teams like the Lakers doing well is good for the NBA from a financial and marketing perspective. It may not be fair, but life’s not fair
greenroom31
General Manager

Post#1960 » by greenroom31 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:00 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Kyrie waived his trade kicker to get to Boston. Does that mean Wyc and Danny showed up with a gym bag full of unmarked bills?

Following a paper trail of money involving millions of dollars is easy, IMO. If the NBA can't track millions of dollars, then they are a trash organization.

That was a weird situation in that he was trying to force his way out and pick a destination to land. That's actually another example of a player using the system to help push him where he wants to go.

As for tracking the money, that's not the hard part. It's proving that it was unfairly gifted.

Return to Boston Celtics