ImageImage

Bucks sign Robin Lopez!!!!

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,718

Re: Bucks sign Robin Lopez!!!! 

Post#301 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:19 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:John Henson used to drain outside shots in practice and warmups all the time. He actually had a pretty solid touch for a guy who never took them in game. I have faith RoLo will play good D, get buckets inside, drive the opposing center crazy (we needed a guy who can be an enforcer) and pop off some unexpected threes. Love the signing.

He was 36% from three before he got hurt last year. 11/31
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#302 » by SirChurros » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:39 pm

For what it's worth, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, RoLo defended Embiid really well last year.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#303 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:47 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:I don't really think there was any point last season where I was thinking "man if only we had another bulky center on our roster" which is why I'm not really crazy about this deal. But it is good to remember that Brook was uncharacteristically healthy this season and it'll be nice to have a competent big if/when he has to miss some time. This could easily be one of those "whatever" moves that ends up being huge down the road (like signing Connaughton).

I thought that a lot. Basically everytime Brook wasn't on the floor.

He's not only an awesome back up for Brook, but a great insurance policy. I thought we were pretty lucky most of our key pieces avoided major injuries.

I also love this from a chemistry standpoint. I've always been impressed with his attitude on the other sideline when his team is getting destroyed, always encouraging his teammates, playing hard. The fact that we have the Lopez Towers is just icing on the cake.

This is going to be another really fun year.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,123

Post#304 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:51 pm

Ersan also could end up involved in some kind of trade. Essentially he was the backup 5 last year. This is insurance on that as well. Big pic, you got a guy who would've gotten a much larger contract elsewhere for very cheap due to the situation. Value was there no matter what and I expect him to shoot 3s next year.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#305 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:51 pm

Giannis having to matchup with Horford pretty much trashed his back and made him beaten down before the Toronto series.

Philly....with Embiid and Horford are currently the roadblock to Bucks path to the NBA Finals.

Robin Lopez is here to help lighten the load on Giannis having to guard guys he shouldn't be guarding.

Adding RoLo will prove invaluable....during the regular season and especially during the playoffs.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#306 » by old skool » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:57 pm

The Bucks don't need Robin to be a 3-point shooter. They need him to defend and rebound when Brook is off the court. The Bucks would have been in big trouble if Brook had been out for any extended period last year. They were very thin at backup center. Asking Ilyasova to guard Embiid for even a few minutes was pretty ridiculous.

Offensively, Robin has a better low post inside game than Brook. I think he expands the Bucks offensive versatility in a good way, without any outside shooting.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#307 » by SirChurros » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:00 pm

old skool wrote:The Bucks don't need Robin to be a 3-point shooter. They need him to defend and rebound when Brook is off the court. The Bucks would have been in big trouble if Brook had been out for any extended period last year. They were very thin at backup center. Asking Ilyasova to guard Embiid for even a few minutes was pretty ridiculous.

Offensively, Robin has a better low post inside game than Brook. I think he expands the Bucks offensive versatility in a good way, without any outside shooting.

Bolded couldn't be further from the truth. Brook was one of the best low-post players in the league for years. He's not now simply because we refuse to ever use him in that capacity.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#308 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:03 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:
old skool wrote:The Bucks don't need Robin to be a 3-point shooter. They need him to defend and rebound when Brook is off the court. The Bucks would have been in big trouble if Brook had been out for any extended period last year. They were very thin at backup center. Asking Ilyasova to guard Embiid for even a few minutes was pretty ridiculous.

Bolded couldn't be further from the truth. Brook was one of the best low-post players in the league for years. He's not now simply because we refuse to ever use him in that capacity.

Beat me to it. Not that I even think Robin is bad necessarily, but he's not better than Brook there.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 513

Post#309 » by Isocleas2 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:08 pm

I saw a few Bulls games last year (2 in person) I think Robin's 3 pt shot looked fine, he hardly takes them but I think he has the form to do so. The Henson comparison is accurate imo, shooting 35% from 3 considering how many open 3's he should have won't be surprising.

Robin also has a scrappy inside game, I don't think he has alot of dominate post moves but he does have a couple. He's like Ersan in that he'll clean up the offensive boards and get putbacks but he's a bigger player so he's able to also bully smaller power forwards/centers for easy baskets that way (something Ersan can't really do).
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#310 » by raferfenix » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:10 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Giannis having to matchup with Horford pretty much trashed his back and made him beaten down before the Toronto series.

Can't minimize this if it's real.

Haven't seen it reported I don't think but could see it being something that people in the know were made aware of.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#311 » by raferfenix » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:11 pm

Swan Vox wrote:So from what I understand, RoLo is just as big and strong and unmovable as Brook, but actually can switch out on and defend the perimeter? Sign me up. That’s going to be huge when we play mobile 3pt shooting bigs.

Are that stats that show it or where is this coming from?

Certainly seems like a big upgrade over Thon and DJ alike.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#312 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:20 pm

Mods, can we reduce the exclamation points in the thread title from four, to two? One would probably be even more appropriate. Im excited for Robin as our backup center. But c’mon.
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#313 » by MiltownHawkeye » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:21 pm

DingleJerry wrote:Ersan also could end up involved in some kind of trade. Essentially he was the backup 5 last year. This is insurance on that as well. Big pic, you got a guy who would've gotten a much larger contract elsewhere for very cheap due to the situation. Value was there no matter what and I expect him to shoot 3s next year.

I don't like the idea of trading Ersan just to trade him at this point. His contract is totally fair and we can't afford to lose more spacing. I'd really like a big wing to come off the bench, defend 3-4, and hit some 3s but not sure who fits that description and is available for Ersan.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#314 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:28 pm

raferfenix wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:Giannis having to matchup with Horford pretty much trashed his back and made him beaten down before the Toronto series.

Can't minimize this if it's real.

Haven't seen it reported I don't think but could see it being something that people in the know were made aware of.

He explicitly stated this in the Athletic piece from Eric Nehm

“I didn’t expect him to be so physical,” Antetokounmpo said after the series. “It was a physical series. It was more physical than Detroit for sure. In Game 1, I kind of realized, ‘OK, he’s going to hit me, so I can hit him back.’

“Game 2, I was a little bit more ready, but still there were a lot of guys that would come and help him from behind or come swipe and stuff like that. But I knew if we both stayed physical this way, he’s not going to outlast me.

“I think definitely in Game 3, I put my shoulder into him. … It was like bang, bang more because he didn’t try to take a charge.”

However, the physical battle took a lot out of Antetokounmpo and he could be seen holding his back near the end of the Bucks’ Game 3 victory. After the series, he told The Athletic Wisconsin he wondered if he could handle the beating he was taking but leaned on some comfortable knowledge about his counterpart Horford.

“If my back is hurting, I’m daaaaaammmn sure his back is hurting,” Antetokounmpo said. “And then in Game 4, I was driving the ball and there was a lot of … .”

Antetokounmpo stops here to show what he was seeing. He pretends to defend, but not actually get his feet in front of the offensive player driving and instead opting to put his arms out and reach as a driver gets past him to the rim.

After seeing Horford relent in Game 4, Celtics coach Brad Stevens started backup center Aron Baynes the next game and assigned him to Antetokounmpo.

“And that’s when I was like, ‘OK. I got it. It’s over. Not the series. But I got the matchup.’ Because sometimes it’s not going to be just the one game,” Antetokounmpo said. “Or the second game. It’s gonna be all the time. And his coach showed that. He (Horford) doesn’t want to take that contact anymore. And he’s a great defender.”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,229

Post#315 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:30 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:Mods, can we reduce the exclamation points in the thread title from four, to two? One would probably be even more appropriate. Im excited for Robin as our backup center. But c’mon.

PP25 dream come true. If anything there should be more
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,123

Post#316 » by DingleJerry » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:32 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Ersan also could end up involved in some kind of trade. Essentially he was the backup 5 last year. This is insurance on that as well. Big pic, you got a guy who would've gotten a much larger contract elsewhere for very cheap due to the situation. Value was there no matter what and I expect him to shoot 3s next year.

I don't like the idea of trading Ersan just to trade him at this point. His contract is totally fair and we can't afford to lose more spacing. I'd really like a big wing to come off the bench, defend 3-4, and hit some 3s but not sure who fits that description and is available for Ersan.

I'm not either. I'm one of the more vocal Ersan supporters here. But, combined that we don't really have a backup 5 since Ersan was a stretch in that role and that it could work out that Ersan's traded to save money and/or due to needing an expiring contract to match this provides good insurance in both cases.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#317 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:46 pm

old skool wrote:The Bucks don't need Robin to be a 3-point shooter. They need him to defend and rebound when Brook is off the court. The Bucks would have been in big trouble if Brook had been out for any extended period last year. They were very thin at backup center. Asking Ilyasova to guard Embiid for even a few minutes was pretty ridiculous. .

The other guy we haven’t mentioned is Marc Gasol. This move also was done to help there. There were times against Toronto where you could just see Ersan grimace that he had to body him up.

As much as people like the idea of Giannis playing center, I don’t think Giannis cares for that idea.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#318 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:48 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:For what it's worth, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, RoLo defended Embiid really well last year.

I know big centers are on the way out, but this is where having both Lopez's will be extremely valuable. Assuming Kawhi goes to LA, Philly and Milwaukee feel like the clear cut top 2 teams in the East. You're going to need both of them to deal with Embiid and Horford.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#319 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:53 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:

I'll always have a soft spot for Ersan, but at some point you have to invest in young guys. It's time for DJ to get regular minutes, whether that means moving Ers down the depth chart or trading him for younger, cheaper depth elsewhere.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#320 » by raferfenix » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:55 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
old skool wrote:The Bucks don't need Robin to be a 3-point shooter. They need him to defend and rebound when Brook is off the court. The Bucks would have been in big trouble if Brook had been out for any extended period last year. They were very thin at backup center. Asking Ilyasova to guard Embiid for even a few minutes was pretty ridiculous. .

The other guy we haven’t mentioned is Marc Gasol. This move also was done to help there. There were times against Toronto where you could just see Ersan grimace that he had to body him up.

As much as people like the idea of Giannis playing center, I don’t think Giannis cares for that idea.

Hadn't seen the Nehm article until ESBF posted excerpts above.

“If my back is hurting, I’m daaaaaammmn sure his back is hurting,” Antetokounmpo said. “

It's also a good point that Horford and Bayens in Boston is one thing, Gasol + Siakam + Ibaka flanked by Kawhi is another.

Sure the Raptors could be out if Kawhi goes.

Either way the Sixers swapping Butler for Horford + Josh Richardson (basically) with Embiid in tow does not make Giannis' job easier.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks