ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,689

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh? 

Post#41 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:26 pm

When KL goes to the Lakers they will have 3 of the 5 best players in the NBA. Won't matter what the Celtics do, or any other teams do. This is the warriors all over again.

Unfortunately the Silver loves super teams so guys teaming up will never change
*Insert witty signature here.*
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#42 » by Half-Full » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:27 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Id Rather get an established vet who played in the nba than take a chance on another guy whose never played in the nba before but that’s Just me

Here's the thing, though. At the money we have available to spend, is there an NBA vet who plays that position, and who is a better player? Poirier is a big, young body who has established himself as one of the best centers in the Euroleague. That doesn't mean that he would be one of the best centers in the NBA, but I would imagine that he would certainly be better than some NBA journeyman, or fading, older player who would be willing to sign for minimal money.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,689

Post#43 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:27 pm

Roddy wrote:Image

Sorry Kyrie....even Vegas think that we are better without you :naaa:

Vegas always knows.
*Insert witty signature here.*
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#44 » by BigTrade92 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:31 pm

The entire league is being held hostage by Kawhi and he knows it.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#45 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:32 pm

I'll be happy if the Poirier signing comes to be. Between him and Kanter, nobody will be bullying the Celtics, and I HATE soft front court players. Loved that video of Kanter abusing Embiid to the tune of something like 30 pts, 22, rbds.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#46 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:32 pm

KGboss wrote:
fallguy wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Basketball will be tough to watch, if Kawhi becomes a Laker, especially after LA's tampering to get AD. This is what Adam Silver wants though. Lakers = ratings.

SWC made a good point about a potential lockout if Kawhi ends up in LAL. There will be some owner rage at that.
Said it in the previous thread that it needs to happen. Even the nets signing kyrie, Durant for less money and DJ going there for pennies leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The very fact that he could - and 90% of players in league absolutely would in his shoes - should be enough to lead to lockout. If lockout cripples league and lasts for years....good! The NBA has sucked since 2012 with the only bright light being the Warriors before Durant. Toronto winning it all thanks to season ending injuries to Durant and Klay in back to back games is not the “surprise” upset you look for as a fan. There was never any hope for anything but a GS 3 peat until Durant injured his ACL.
prov1ml
Starter
And1: 2,157

Post#47 » by prov1ml » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Weren’t we told last summer that Carter is close with Kawhi’s camp?
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#48 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:33 pm

Wheres the tweet for Poirier signing? What is the deal he signed if anyone has the info.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#49 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:34 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:The entire league is being held hostage by Kawhi and he knows it.

Not really. Everyone else of consequence has already signed. He is holding both LA teams hostage, and Toronto to a lesser extent, as they were unlikely to be FA players even if he walked on day 1. Clippers and/or Lakers are going to miss out on their big fish (Kawhi) and have now missed their shot at a Jimmy Butler type plan B. The rest of the league are just watching, but not being held hostage since nobody has cap space.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,941

Post#50 » by CelticsPride18 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:34 pm

prov1ml wrote:
Read on Twitter

The other day he said its between Lakers or Raptors. Nobody knows ****.
prov1ml
Starter
And1: 2,157

Post#51 » by prov1ml » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Can this douche bag please just go away? What an embarrassment.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by Half-Full » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:36 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Getting even younger compared to last season so far. Not too many vets yet.

Last season we only had six guys who were not on their rookie contracts. Only two guys older than 30.
So far, we have four guys who are not on their rookie contracts -- Kanter, Kemba, Gordon, Smart. No one above 30. Hayward is our senior citizen :o

Offseason not yet over. We can't head into the season with an inexperienced bench.

Barring a trade, we have to look for who we can sign for vet minimum. Among the players that might be available in that pool is James Ennis. An experienced player who has been around (with Pistons, Heat, Grizzlies, 76ers, Rockets, and Pelicans). A good guy to round out our bench.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#53 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:38 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:The entire league is being held hostage by Kawhi and he knows it.

Read on Twitter
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#54 » by Edug27 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:40 pm

prov1ml wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep and he was wrong on everything last year with Kawhi. Even went as far with to say Kawhi may not even report to the Raps following the trade.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#55 » by RickyDizzle » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:40 pm

Half-Full wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Getting even younger compared to last season so far. Not too many vets yet.

Last season we only had six guys who were not on their rookie contracts. Only two guys older than 30.
So far, we have four guys who are not on their rookie contracts -- Kanter, Kemba, Gordon, Smart. No one above 30. Hayward is our senior citizen :o

Offseason not yet over. We can't head into the season with an inexperienced bench.

Barring a trade, we have to look for who we can sign for vet minimum. Among the players that might be available in that pool is James Ennis. An experienced player who has been around (with Pistons, Heat, Grizzlies, 76ers, Rockets, and Pelicans). A good guy to round out our bench.

Didnt Ennis sign with the knicks?
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#56 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:41 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:Wheres the tweet for Poirier signing? What is the deal he signed if anyone has the info.

Read on Twitter
aim2please
Starter
And1: 3,255

Post#57 » by aim2please » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:42 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.

Preach brother. Feel the same way. Only ones who think super teams are cool are casual fans and fans of the team that got the super team.

It's just a different world these days. I'm a young person by age but sometimes feel like an old man when I read how someone like KD can't wrap his head around why people are not in awe of him joining the best team in the league and winning the tittle with little to no resistance. Does he realize that legends are made when you're tested and have to push it to the limit to break through?

Instant gratification era made people taking shortcuts a norm, while persevering and leaving yourself with the option to fail is considered foolish. Nowitzki winning in Dallas > all of these 'lets group up and win without ever being tested'. But 'kids' will say, he only got one, Lebron GOAT.

Unfortunately, it's like that in real life as well. Everything is not 100% perfect for you? Dump your gf/wife and move on. Why compromise and try to make it work?

When you say this you sound salty, but I really don't want another season in which, unless a miracle happens, we know the winner. But fools like me don't matter, this is entertainment and bottom line is the most important thing. Super teams are money making machines and the league will not do anything to stop them.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#58 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:42 pm

prov1ml wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can this douche bag please just go away? What an embarrassment.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by Half-Full » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:42 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:Regardless of whether Kawhi goes there or not, the NBA needs to make serious changes. Small market teams have to be 110% perfect, while the Lakers can be a top 3 incompetent organization and get players because they just want to go there.

I’ve said it a million times, there needs to be one major max contract per team that is worth 40-45% of the cap with the next highest contract being no higher than 20-25%. Still allow teams to keep their drafted players at any price to reward good drafting. Unfortunately my suggestion wouldn’t have stopped KD to the Warriors but whatever. That was incredible management; I can’t fault them for that. This would prevent whatever is going on with the Lakers, though.

There seems to be less imbalance in the NHL. What are they doing right?
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#60 » by Scoonie » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:43 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:Wheres the tweet for Poirier signing? What is the deal he signed if anyone has the info.

Read on Twitter

Nice!
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.

Return to Boston Celtics