ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh? 

Post#81 » by Ben-N1ce » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:15 pm

Froob wrote:Any interest in Danny Green? Not the biggest need or the most consistent player but he is good.

He's taking the most money unless he tries to repeat if Kawhi resigns.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#82 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:15 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Just a B/R article & I've definitely seen the idea floated around before but they suggest Love for Hayward & a couple first rounders. I'm not sure the 1sts are really necessary but I do think it is a deal that could make some sense.

Hayward's deal is shorter than Love's so they can clear out their cap space sooner than anticipated. Love would provide some of what Al gave to us, minus the defense, obviously & we can give all the wing minutes to Brown & Tatum, balancing our roster a bit.

Walker / Smart
Brown / Langford
Tatum / Ojeleye
Love / Williams
Williams / Kanter

Several firsts from the Cavs for that nasty contract Love's on. And hell NO. Love has 3 years guaranteed on the deal and he's 4 years older than Hayward. Awful value.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,925

Post#83 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:16 pm

Froob wrote:Any interest in Danny Green? Not the biggest need or the most consistent player but he is good.

I think Dallas is pursuing him hard. They're saying he's just waiting for Kawhi's decision. If he comes back to TOR, Green also stays there.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#84 » by Taget » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:17 pm

prov1ml wrote:
Read on Twitter

Weren’t we told last summer that Carter is close with Kawhi’s camp?

Two ways to look at it. People speculating and jumping the gun and it's still wide open. Or it's a case like Hayward where he was embarrassed by leaks and felt a need to extend out announcing the choice we know he had already made.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

aim2please
Starter
And1: 3,255

Post#85 » by aim2please » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:17 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
aim2please wrote:
Banks2Pierce wrote:Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.

Preach brother. Feel the same way. Only ones who think super teams are cool are casual fans and fans of the team that got the super team.

It's just a different world these days. I'm a young person by age but sometimes feel like an old man when I read how someone like KD can't wrap his head around why people are not in awe of him joining the best team in the league and winning the tittle with little to no resistance. Does he realize that legends are made when you're tested and have to push it to the limit to break through?

Instant gratification era made people taking shortcuts a norm, while persevering and leaving yourself with the option to fail is considered foolish. Nowitzki winning in Dallas > all of these 'lets group up and win without ever being tested'. But 'kids' will say, he only got one, Lebron GOAT.

Unfortunately, it's like that in real life as well. Everything is not 100% perfect for you? Dump your gf/wife and move on. Why compromise and try to make it work?

When you say this you sound salty, but I really don't want another season in which, unless a miracle happens, we know the winner. But fools like me don't matter, this is entertainment and bottom line is the most important thing. Super teams are money making machines and the league will not do anything to stop them.

It sucks because it is the Lakers, and KD's will always be a beta move, but don't we have something like 15 titles from Celtic super teams? What about the Red Sox?

I guess you don't make a difference between GSW' team that included Curry, Klay and Green, OKC's team that had Russ, KD and Harden, old C's teams etc.. from the ones who are made by colluding and involved literally zero sound basketball decisions.

Maybe the difference isn't important and shouldn't matter, but to me it does. If a team makes smart decisions in terms of cap management, drafting etc.. and organically builds an amazing team, I'm cool with that.

Otherwise, why do the draft and all other transactions even matter when all it takes is for 2 or 3 top 10 guys to sit on a banana boat and say 'lets go to Miami'.

It used to be: 'Well, the team I'm on has a terrible FO so I had to leave to get a chance to win'. Now these guys are leaving good and even great situations (KD in OKC, 50+ win every year, KL just won a freaking ring) to form 'can't lose' scenarios and that alone trumps everything any smart team can do.

So basically, having connections with powerful agencies and have a great weather = having a dynasty.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#86 » by Half-Full » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:21 pm

With the addition of Vincent Poirier and Enes Kanter, we are a lot better off than we were two days ago. Poirier looks pretty good, and looks like a good pick and roll guy to pair with Kemba. Here are some Poirier highlights from last season.

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#87 » by sam_I_am » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:22 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
aim2please wrote:
Banks2Pierce wrote:Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.

Preach brother. Feel the same way. Only ones who think super teams are cool are casual fans and fans of the team that got the super team.

It's just a different world these days. I'm a young person by age but sometimes feel like an old man when I read how someone like KD can't wrap his head around why people are not in awe of him joining the best team in the league and winning the tittle with little to no resistance. Does he realize that legends are made when you're tested and have to push it to the limit to break through?

Instant gratification era made people taking shortcuts a norm, while persevering and leaving yourself with the option to fail is considered foolish. Nowitzki winning in Dallas > all of these 'lets group up and win without ever being tested'. But 'kids' will say, he only got one, Lebron GOAT.

Unfortunately, it's like that in real life as well. Everything is not 100% perfect for you? Dump your gf/wife and move on. Why compromise and try to make it work?

When you say this you sound salty, but I really don't want another season in which, unless a miracle happens, we know the winner. But fools like me don't matter, this is entertainment and bottom line is the most important thing. Super teams are money making machines and the league will not do anything to stop them.

It sucks because it is the Lakers, and KD's will always be a beta move, but don't we have something like 15 titles from Celtic super teams? What about the Red Sox?

Actually no. We have never had 2 MVP candidates on the same roster at the same time except maybe 1 year in 1987 when McHale had his career year. In fact, only 1984-6 did we even have the best player in the league. To have 3 guys at that level at their peak abilities - at same time is just not great for fans. If Kawhi goes to LAC or Toronto the NBA will be wide open and LA will be prohibitive 2-1 favorites to win it all. If Kawhi goes to Lakers.... Duke vs. a division 2 team will be more fun to watch than NBA.

If that’s what players and exec’s want....enjoy. If the Celtics had that....I would probably ignore the entire regular season and first 2 rounds of playoffs because it would be so boring. I’m out if it happens to Lakers. What makes pro sports even watchable is not knowing who is going to win. WWF wrestling would be more fun next year. NBA is already a waste of my time and energy as it is ...
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,137

Post#88 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:22 pm

aim2please wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
aim2please wrote:

I guess you don't make a difference between GSW' team that included Curry, Klay and Green, OKC's team that had Russ, KD and Harden, old C's teams etc.. from the ones who are made by colluding and involved literally zero sound basketball decisions.

Maybe the difference isn't important and shouldn't matter, but to me it does. If a team makes smart decisions in terms of cap management, drafting etc.. and organically builds an amazing team, I'm cool with that.

Otherwise, why do the draft and all other transactions even matter when all it takes is for 2 or 3 top 10 guys to sit on a banana boat and say 'lets go to Miami'.

It used to be: 'Well, the team I'm on has a terrible FO so I had to leave to get a chance to win'. Now these guys are leaving good and even great situations (KD in OKC, 50+ win every year, KL just won a freaking ring) to form 'can't' lose scenarios and that alone trumps everything any smart team can do.

So basically, having connections with powerful agencies and be placed in a city with great weather = having a dynasty.

Yes at its core this is the issue now. Players are leaving smart organizations now. When it’s not enough to be smart anymore, we have issues. When that happens, all bets are off.

I’ve been on the player’s side over the owners almost every time, but things need to be reeled in a bit here. I feel this way even though Boston does benefit from its history still. I feel for the small market teams tbh.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#89 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:23 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:

The Lakers are rumored to pursue him (and others) in the event they don't sign Kawhi and decide to split their max slot between multiple players. Plus, he might follow Kawhi regardless. He's probably waiting for that situation to sort itself out.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,534

Post#90 » by NuckyPowell » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:24 pm

Half-Full wrote:With the addition of Vincent Poirier and Enes Kanter, we are a lot better off than we were two days ago. Poirier looks pretty good, and looks like a good pick and roll guy to pair with Kemba. Here are some Poirier highlights from last season.

I definitely would like the signing if true, but I haven't seen anything outside that Euro tweet. Nothing from the U.S. confirming it. I hope it's true, though.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#91 » by Froob » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:25 pm

threrf23 wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:

The Lakers are rumored to pursue him (and others) in the event they don't sign Kawhi and decide to split their max slot between multiple players. Plus, he might follow Kawhi regardless. He's probably waiting for that situation to sort itself out.

I’ve heard that, but Lakers would be minimum or room exception. I don’t think Green has made much money in his career.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,417

Post#92 » by Scarletfire81 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:26 pm

Half-Full wrote:With the addition of Vincent Poirier and Enes Kanter, we are a lot better off than we were two days ago. Poirier looks pretty good, and looks like a good pick and roll guy to pair with Kemba. Here are some Poirier highlights from last season.

Have we actually signed Poirier?
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#93 » by Froob » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:27 pm

Surprised nothing on Noah. I bet Detroit or somebody stupid maxes him and ruins it for everybody. Could also see Lakers with the LeBron rivalry ties.

I’m guessing we expect a lot outta Robbie Williams if we don’t end up with a reliable defensive center. I love Kanter but Giannis and Embiid are going to feast.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#94 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:27 pm

This dude is a hook shot extraordinaire. I love him
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#95 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:28 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:

I definitely would like the signing if true, but I haven't seen anything outside that Euro tweet. Nothing from the U.S. confirming it. I hope it's true, though.

Yep haven’t seen anything and the $$ quoted on that tweet didn’t make sense.

I assume We would see confirmation if true.
Sign here
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#96 » by BigTrade92 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:44 pm

Rather sign Poirier and cut Theis at this rate.

Theis simply can't defend physical bigs.

Give me one of Cousins/Noah/Nene in his place....preferably Cousins.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,115

Post#97 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:48 pm

In a heartbeat but I don't know why he'd sign here
prov1ml
Starter
And1: 2,157

Post#98 » by prov1ml » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol:
g5781
Freshman
And1: 133

Post#99 » by g5781 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#100 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:50 pm

Saw Kyle O'Quinn signed with Philly for the minimum. Surprised Ainge wasn't in on him. One of the better bigman defenders. would have been a nice Baynes replacement (possibly even an upgrade)

Return to Boston Celtics