Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Summer League Thread 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:31 pm

Summer League starts today
vacation is over
Interested in some of the potential 2-way contract players ( I think Dean Wade already has signed one of them)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
MorleyGrape1
Ballboy
And1: 23

Re: SL watch 

Post#2 » by MorleyGrape1 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:45 pm

I don't think Garland is playing but I hope KPJ is playing.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#3 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:56 pm

Any way to watch the game if you don't have NBA TV outside of going to a bar that might?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:41 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Any way to watch the game if you don't have NBA TV outside of going to a bar that might?

nba tv and espn online buffering is terrible...It drops all of the time.
I'm guessing that bar is best bet assuming they would turn on sl over other more popular options.
If it were me I'd just pop in a friend who you know is a diehard Cavs fan and is injured or a couch potato, no chance that guy doesn't have nba tv.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#5 » by substancej » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:45 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Any way to watch the game if you don't have NBA TV outside of going to a bar that might?

You can get lucky on YouTube searches
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Summer League 

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:04 pm

Neither Garlad nor KPJ are playing tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:08 pm

looks to be a pretty lowkey summer league for Cavs. Nobody is playing.
substancej
Junior

Re: Summer League 

Post#8 » by substancej » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:09 pm

Dean Wade is looking like a steal out there
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:10 pm

Windler, Wade, and Naz looking pretty solid out there.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:13 pm

looks like we got 2 sl threads
substancej
Junior

Post#11 » by substancej » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:17 pm

Forgot about this thread. To me, it seems like the coaching is so much better already.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:looks like we got 2 sl threads
I'll merge them later. It's hard to do on the phone.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:58 pm

ok Windler I see you . Damn this kid is one smart mf on the court
substancej
Junior

Post#14 » by substancej » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:03 am

This one announcer really wants us to think Windler is a scrub
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:41 am

substancej wrote:This one announcer really wants us to think Windler is a scrub

meh they don't know crap lol sl announcers are probably interns
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#16 » by Richfield » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:37 am

substancej wrote:This one announcer really wants us to think Windler is a scrub

Like the other commentator said it sounded exactly like what was written in the scouting report. The guy either had just read the scouting report or wrote it himself. Either way he was way too loud about it and treating it like it was gospel. That's how guys like that get jobs though, he has to sell himself, and project that confidence in his ability to talk about stats and trends.

I appreciated the other commentator, former player, lowering that noise. The naysayer was mostly all negative comments, and you could tell his head was strictly into analytics and stats and nothing else. He wasn't considering exceptions to what stats suggest at all.

The former player was stressing the positives, pointing out guys in the league who beat similar analytic trends, talking about what Windler can do, and why he could find success in the league.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#17 » by Richfield » Tue Jul 2, 2019 5:02 am

Enjoyed the game!

Only so much conclusion can be drawn but there was definitely stuff to like! Stuff I liked:

Windler - Sweet shot, good instincts. So long. Legs/core and right arm have to get stronger. When he was forced into a position where he needs to pass with his right arm, not enough zip on the pass. Needs more zip on passes in general. That shot from deep shows this dude has serious range.

Wade - Similar to his highlight tape, just showed a lot of good all around things. Probably adjusting to pace, but was pretty versatile out there, good use of body weight/strength, and like I mentioned before good quick decisions.

Mitrou-Long - Perfect PG for this summer league team. Made plays. Has some nice ability and rhythm to create for others. Good call by the Cavs.

Williams - Nice strength backing guys down. Amazingly strange free throw form, but it went in.

Bolden - Heck yeah! This guy had an excellent presence down low. His long strong arms remind me of Kendrick Perkins, but Bolden's got better touch and a little more mobile. Good overall size. Was in right place at right time a lot. When he puts the ball up on the glass, he gets it up above his head so quick for a guy that big and heavy. Really good signs from him and the Cavs.

Cavs Bench - Great to see Garland, Porter, and Sexton on the bench together and to see lots of smiles. Another player mentioned Sexton has been helping talk to guys a lot. Overall good vibes coming off the bench. Garland's 3rd quarter interview, said good things about "Coach B" and had a positivity about him I didn't know was there, bodes well for our backcourt, good to see these guys' personalities.

Coach B - The Cavs played in a way where the ball was in the backcourt a lot, but with a lot of movement, things happening. We will be milking the talents of our guards and wings, so that's exciting to me. Maybe more going on next game down low, or during the season when K Love is there. I enjoyed the movement and Cavs managed to get shots off without too much problem. The ball being back there a lot also created some nice gaps down low to be taken advantage of with cuts and rolls, just need the personnel out there to do it. I think Wade doing what he did at times showed that KLove will have some nice opportunities in this offense too.

Summer League - Cool, they're installing this red buzzer thing, for referee challenges, like the challenge flag in football. I like the idea. Don't know all the details, what it costs if wrong(a timeout?), or whether the league will have it in the NBA this upcoming season. I got the feeling it was Bickerstaff that challenged that foul/charge. Close call but just missed that one. Had to give it a try.

Looking forward to more summer league Cavs!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:55 pm

WIndler is who he is and there is a lot to like,but I cannot gauge much new information in sl about his transferring to the next level compared to college for most of these players since the majority of them on all these teams ( undrafted) are not starter caliber prospects so the competition is not nba level and the game plans are not well executed when you have a lot of kids fighting to get up stats to make a roster.
Whatever the case may be, I get the holding out of lottery picks early to let the fringe canton recruits and potential gems play a couple games in Utah, I expect Sexton may not play in SL at all, but would expect barring medical restrictions Garland and KPJ will play in Vegas.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: Summer League Thread 

Post#19 » by gflem » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:43 pm

Bolden, Windler and to some extent Wade looked like they know how to play. Thats what I am looking for in SL games. Bolden looks like he could be a decent shot blocker with good length and timing. Also moved well around the basket on both sides of the floor.
I am looking forward to see Porter and Garland (hopefully) in later SL games.
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: Summer League Thread 

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:22 pm

gflem wrote:Bolden, Windler and to some extent Wade looked like they know how to play. Thats what I am looking for in SL games. Bolden looks like he could be a decent shot blocker with good length and timing. Also moved well around the basket on both sides of the floor.
I am looking forward to see Porter and Garland (hopefully) in later SL games.

lol they all know how to play chief. It's being able to transfer their skill to a level of better athletes

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers