Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Clippers Sign Rodney McGruder to 3 Year, $15M Deal 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:29 am

Read on Twitter

The Clippers own McGruder's bird rights and still maintain enough room for a max contract signing.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Clippers Sign Rodney McGruder to 3 Year, $15M Deal 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:42 am

I don't get it.

Keep him? Build his value and use as a trade chip?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#3 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:47 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I don't get it.

Keep him? Build his value and use as a trade chip?

Sure, but we also need legitimate SFs.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#4 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:51 am

is it bad that I just heard of him for the first time ever ? :(

I understand the bird right part, but is what he bring to the team more than a guy on a vet minimum would bring? I feel the same way about Harkless.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Post#5 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:22 am

donemilio21 wrote:I understand the bird right part, but is what he bring to the team more than a guy on a vet minimum would bring? I feel the same way about Harkless.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Basically, McGruder is a hard-working Good Samaritan player. He doesn't produce any highlight reel plays or stands out (you could even say he's a weak player in terms of talent and skill), but he's never worried about the numbers, is not afraid of getting dirty, and will not be a bother in the locker room. That's what role players do, and McGruder is one of them.

My hunch is, McGruder is the Clipper's Willie Green. In games where Leonard rests, he'll see minutes. Otherwise, he's a garbage time player.

EDIT: Here's McGruder's BBall Ref Profile. In the 2017-18 season, he was ruled out with a stress fracture in his left leg, delaying his debut until February 27, 2018. He did play in the playoffs that year, but due to his injury he only saw garbage time.
Clipp312s
Ballboy
And1: 59

Post#6 » by Clipp312s » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:42 am

Solid signing. I remember watching him in Miami, the kid can score. He started a bunch of games as a rookie but then got hurt and fell in the depth charts because they brought in a bunch of guards. I remember when the heat waive him and we picked him up earlier in the year, but he wasn't eligible for the playoffs. He would have been a nice asset in the playoffs. Great signing! Now let's give Zubac the same contract!
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#7 » by Ben » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:18 am

Clipp312s wrote:Solid signing. I remember watching him in Miami, the kid can score. He started a bunch of games as a rookie but then got hurt and fell in the depth charts because they brought in a bunch of guards. I remember when the heat waive him and we picked him up earlier in the year, but he wasn't eligible for the playoffs. He would have been a nice asset in the playoffs. Great signing! Now let's give Zubac the same contract!

Hi guys, I'm interested in further info on this deal. I'm one of many fans who hope that Kawhi goes to the Clips this offseason, and I'm trying to figure out this otherwise puzzling move in the context of Kawhi. I'm sorry, but even if McGruder is a solid player, there's no way that it's a "solid signing" at the price and length (3/$15M) that we're being told. Against whom were they bidding? Proven vets have been signing vet minimum contracts today and tonight. Is there something that we don't know? Is McGruder friends with Kawhi, or that sort of thing? Would appreciate any leads that you folks might have.

Best of luck in the Kawhi sweepstakes.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:19 pm

We lock him in at that price, so it’s all upside for us and he’s a fit for our “culture” which we are big on.

He gets security and to set his family for life at age 28. He’s undrafted. Why wait an entire season to get to free agency? There’s a risk of injury and if your his caliber, is there a much more significant pay day out there?

Probably can wait to ink the deal to keep our Kawhi hopes open.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#9 » by QRich3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:27 pm

It does seem a bit over what I expected the market would give him, but he's a good player and he's exactly the type of guy that this FO likes, selfless two way player that works hard and does all the necessary things that don't show in the boxscore. Similar deal than other guys like Temple or Carroll, only he's younger and could improve his value. I'm ok with it.

Signing him this early also helps free some capspace to potentially signing Kawhi to the max without having to renounce Wallace or Thornwell, since you don't have to keep his qualifying offer ($3M) and can just retain his normal cap hold ($1.4M) cause you've already agreed with him and you have no risk he comes with an offer sheet from another team.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#10 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm not even going to pretend to understand this offseason outside of the team putting all their hopes on KL.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

McGruder Thanks Heat and Cap Ramifications 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#12 » by mkwest » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 am

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#13 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:04 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

his numbers certainly don't justify the $$
and although a 3-year vet. he turns 28 in a couple of days
he's no kid
not a "prospect"

but a contending team--esp with load management minutes to fill in the regular season--need guys who do the right thing at the right time and don't screw up the other 4 guys on the floor

a pro, and we assume a solid one

In Jerry We Trust
big investment

this would be Jerry's thing, watching game after game on TV with the eyes of a surgeon
it's not like we were out scouting Miami
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#14 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 am

I’m not familiar with his game, but I assume they wanted him to serve as an athletic wing off the bench. I also wonder if they’re planning on packaging him with Zubac and/or Harkless in a trade for somebody like Marc gasol or Steven Adams
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#15 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

People say he's a 3.

He's 6'4".
Are his arms long? Does he play bigger/ stronger than the typical 6'4" guy?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#16 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:56 am

Remember him from 2016 summer league in Orlando.
We were trying to move the ball to the halfcourt with michineau and kendall marshall while this dude and josh richardson were killing them with pressure. Heat easily won that game and 3 years from then, michineau still playing that summer league while rodney make his money for the A team. Good riddance.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#17 » by TheNewEra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 am

5mil to be load management insurance
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Fitting in with Team 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:57 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip

Return to Los Angeles Clippers