Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Community Thread LXI: The President We Deserve 

Post#1481 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:22 pm

casey_glory7 wrote:Hey guys, I am currently a huge raptors fan but I developed an infatuation with Kawhi Leonard. With more new leaks pointing at high probabilities of Kawhi signing with the Lakers, I was wondering if you can accept me to your sub-forum. I don't like the clippers so we already have something in common!

Sure, as long as you don't come in talking about how Kawhi's better than Kobe, Magic or Kareem... Then come on down... You would not believe how many bandwagon fans we have to run of for being delusional, and disrespecting our legacy. :rofl:
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
spicy4MVP
Sixth Man
And1: 1,963

Post#1482 » by spicy4MVP » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:51 pm

Kilroy wrote:
casey_glory7 wrote:Hey guys, I am currently a huge raptors fan but I developed an infatuation with Kawhi Leonard. With more new leaks pointing at high probabilities of Kawhi signing with the Lakers, I was wondering if you can accept me to your sub-forum. I don't like the clippers so we already have something in common!

Sure, as long as you don't come in talking about how Kawhi's better than Kobe, Magic or Kareem... Then come on down... You would not believe how many bandwagon fans we have to run of for being delusional, and disrespecting our legacy. :rofl:

No, I think Kawhi is a system player. his stats will drop down similar to Chris Bosh's in miami once he joins them
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1483 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:29 pm

"But, Ref! I was fouled! She stuck a finger in my Aaaasss!!"
"Yeah, but which finger was it!? This one or this one?!!"

Kawhi thing making me stupid...
And I was really into the women's world cup until they turned it into a big anti-trump thing... I mean, you do know you're basically a walking American flag when you put on the uniform, right?
Do you take a knee when you fix your hair in the mirror before the game?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#1484 » by hermes » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:14 pm

just make sure to fill out the application and sign the waiver for the hazing process

and no basketball talk in this thread is the only rule i think you need to care about
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 475

Post#1485 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:25 am

Welcome!
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1486 » by tugs » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:49 am

hermes wrote:

just make sure to fill out the application and sign the waiver for the hazing process

and no basketball talk in this thread is the only rule i think you need to care about
Literally violated the 1st rule, written in the third line of the first page.

Still, welcome!
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#1487 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:13 am

Kilroy wrote:Image

And I was really into the women's world cup until they turned it into a big anti-trump thing... I mean, you do know you're basically a walking American flag when you put on the uniform, right?

If your going to play on a countries national team....you prob aught reconcile your issues with said country first, or else not play for them. If you can't sing a countries anthem....what the hell are you doing wearing it's jersey?
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 20,996

Post#1488 » by Chandan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:17 am

The Regime wrote:
hermes wrote:they don't have the internet in arkansas?

were you on a middle of nowhere farm or something?

i was in osceola, just do a quick google search and you'll get an idea of what i had to deal with

they have a pizza hut, Subway AND a taco bell for a town of 7000 people?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#1489 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:31 am

Chandan wrote:
The Regime wrote:
hermes wrote:they don't have the internet in arkansas?

were you on a middle of nowhere farm or something?

i was in osceola, just do a quick google search and you'll get an idea of what i had to deal with

they have a pizza hut, Subway AND a taco bell for a town of 7000 people?

It's on I55 and 20 mins away from Blytheville which is an industrial town.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1490 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:40 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Image

If your going to play on a countries national team....you prob aught reconcile your issues with said country first, or else not play for them. If you can't sing a countries anthem....what the hell are you doing wearing it's jersey?

Has the strong scent of hypocrisy on it... Play for the personal accolades on your country's team, but bitch about your country's policies the whole time...
This isn't Tommie Smith and John Carlos in '68, protesting Jim Crow... This isn't even Kaep risking his paycheck and damaging his professional sports team's brand, to protest... This is placing yourself deliberately in a position to create controversy and improve your brand, at the expense of your nation, all under the guise of political protest... "I wonder what she'll say on Ellen."
You don't like Trump... Well that's the great thing about America, you can vote about it... Don't be a sore loser. You're wearing that jersey and fighting for your country, for exactly those qualities...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1491 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:29 am

Political protest, irrespective of when and where has been a constitutional right in every democracy and that's the great thing about America or any other democratically governed nation. I'm pretty sure she voted about it but her desire to express her beliefs doesn't stop every 4 years until the next election cycle.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1492 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:23 am

Slava wrote:Political protest, irrespective of when and where has been a constitutional right in every democracy and that's the great thing about America or any other democratically governed nation. I'm pretty sure she voted about it but her desire to express her beliefs doesn't stop every 4 years until the next election cycle.

Bigger protest... Don't wear the uniform.

Aside from that, I'm fairly certain political protest isn't a 'Constitutional Right' in every democracy... But that's splitting hairs...

If you're profiting from the very thing you're protesting, you protest is tainted and hypocritical...

And here's the thing about the great rights of a democratic state... There always there, but we don't always see them or acknowledge them...
Things like the The USA olympic teams or the US Soccer teams, on a macro scale... Or the Pledge of allegiance and National Anthem, on a micro scale...
Represent one of the few times we come together in unity as a nation and express our admiration for those rights... So when you stage your protest in those arenas... You take a knee during the Pledge, or you protest in the uniform of a team representing this country on a world stage... You're not only protesting the country, but also the very right to protest, you're expressing...

If you were a thinking mammal, you'd protest the other 99.995% of the time be stand up the tallest and sing loudest during the pledge or the Anthem... Because that's when we come together, across racial, cultural, political, socioeconomic, or sexual identity bounds, and acknowledge the fact that while it isn't perfect... It's not free from problems or strife... It is at least a nation that allows us to express our displeasure with those things.

Protesting the flag or the national anthem/pledge just seems wrong-headed to me... Like hating dinner but protesting the Chocolate Cake...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1493 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:34 am

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:Political protest, irrespective of when and where has been a constitutional right in every democracy and that's the great thing about America or any other democratically governed nation. I'm pretty sure she voted about it but her desire to express her beliefs doesn't stop every 4 years until the next election cycle.

Aside from that, I'm fairly certain political protest isn't a 'Constitutional Right' in every democracy... But that's splitting hairs...

If you're profiting from the very thing you're protesting, you protest is tainted and hypocritical...

And here's the thing about the great rights of a democratic state... There always there, but we don't always see them or acknowledge them...
Things like the The USA olympic teams or the US Soccer teams, on a macro scale... Or the Pledge of allegiance and National Anthem, on a micro scale...
Represent one of the few times we come together in unity as a nation and express our admiration for those rights... So when you stage your protest in those arenas... You take a knee during the Pledge, or you protest in the uniform of a team representing this country on a world stage... You're not only protesting the country, but also the very right to protest, you're expressing...

If you were a thinking mammal, you'd protest the other 99.995% of the time be stand up the tallest and sing loudest during the pledge or the Anthem... Because that's when we come together, across racial, cultural, political, socioeconomic, or sexual identity bounds, and acknowledge the fact that while it isn't perfect... It's not free from problems or strife... It is at least a nation that allows us to express our displeasure with those things.

Protesting the flag or the national anthem/pledge just seems wrong-headed to me... Like hating dinner but protesting the Chocolate Cake...

Is standing up for the national anthem a more patriotic act than paying your taxes, respecting the rule of law and being an honest upstanding citizen like Megan Rapinoe is, while being a role model for thousands of young girls playing soccer around the world? Then how do you draw a line there for a symbolic gesture and then ignore all the more meaningful ways she is an upright American citizen? I find that flag and pledge line incredibly foolish and hypocritical.

It makes sense to protest for your beliefs when people of all races, sexual orientations and religions are together because it would mean you have a bigger audience and you are telling every marginalised person that you are standing up for them and their rights. That's just common sense.

I don't think not wearing the uniform is appropriate protest, you can still represent your country and protest the government. They are two separate entities. How you choose to do it is a personal choice.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1494 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:59 am

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Is standing up for the national anthem a more patriotic act than paying your taxes, respecting the rule of law and being an honest upstanding citizen like Megan Rapinoe is, while being a role model for thousands of young girls playing soccer around the world? Then how do you draw a line there for a symbolic gesture and then ignore all the more meaningful ways she is an upright American citizen? I find that flag and pledge line incredibly foolish and hypocritical.

It makes sense to protest for your beliefs when people of all races, sexual orientations and religions are together because it would mean you have a bigger audience and you are telling every marginalised person that you are standing up for them and their rights. That's just common sense.

I don't think not wearing the uniform is appropriate protest, you can still represent your country and protest the government. They are two separate entities. How you choose to do it is a personal choice.

Paying taxes isn't a right... It's a requirement... Respecting the rule of Law also isn't a right... It's a requirement... And also, neither of those things is inherently American...

The Pledge and the Anthem are celebrations... I think I'll take a knee for the Pinata because I hate birthdays.
I think you might not understand the origin of that ritual.

Being a celebrity, makes her a role model to thousands of young girls... Being a Celebrity, getting paid a lot of money for it, and paying her taxes, does not necessarily make her an upstanding American... It just keeps her out of jail.
Being an American, allows her to be a bigger Celebrity, and make more money and keep more of it by not having to pay as many taxes as other countries...

Again... Not saying she shouldn't protest the government or the USA or whatever she chooses... But if she is protesting the USA, why is she profiting from representing it?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1495 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:12 am

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Paying taxes isn't a right... It's a requirement... Respecting the rule of Law also isn't a right... It's a requirement... And also, neither of those things is inherently American...

The Pledge and the Anthem are celebrations... I think I'll take a knee for the Pinata because I hate birthdays.
I think you might not understand the origin of that ritual.

Being a celebrity, makes her a role model to thousands of young girls... Being a Celebrity, getting paid a lot of money for it, and paying her taxes, does not necessarily make her an upstanding American... It just keeps her out of jail.
Being an American, allows her to be a bigger Celebrity, and make more money and keep more of it by not having to pay as many taxes as other countries...

Again... Not saying she shouldn't protest the government or the USA or whatever she chooses... But if she is protesting the USA, why is she profiting from representing it?

Its not like she wouldn't be where she is today if she was born in England or France and what she makes in terms of salary from the national team is probably a pittance compared to what she earns playing for her club and through her endorsement deals for Nike and Samsung. She was a successful college athlete and even if she had never played for the national team, she would have very successful employment.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1496 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:27 am

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:

Its not like she wouldn't be where she is today if she was born in England or France and what she makes in terms of salary from the national team is probably a pittance compared to what she earns playing for her club and through her endorsement deals for Nike and Samsung. She was a successful college athlete and even if she had never played for the national team, she would have very successful employment.

Women's sports are different than Men's... No one would know who she was if it wasn't for the national team... No Nike, no Samsung, no endorsements... Hell, maybe no club.
The USWNT put US Women's soccer on the map. Without it and their success, there's a real possibility, there would be no US Club league for women... The endorsement deals certainly wouldn't be there.

But say your right... Say she doesn't need the national team... Say like you are saying that she doesn't even need America to be where she is... Super big leap of logic, but OK.

Then why do it? Why go out of your way, risk injury and all those endorsement dollars, just to represent a Country you don't need, or agree with?... Was it just to take a knee during the anthem?

Because she does need it... Because the protest is at best a hollow gesture, and at worse a contrived one, designed to elevate her brand.
USWNT is where all the endorsement money is for women's soccer. They can become global stars on that stage...
Which again, makes you wonder about that protest... Playing to the foreign audience?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1497 » by Slava » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:46 am

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:

Women's sports are different than Men's... No one would know who she was if it wasn't for the national team... No Nike, no Samsung, no endorsements... Hell, maybe no club.
The USWNT put US Women's soccer on the map. Without it and their success, there's a real possibility, there would be no US Club league for women... The endorsement deals certainly wouldn't be there.

But say your right... Say she doesn't need the national team... Say like you are saying that she doesn't even need America to be where she is... Super big leap of logic, but OK.

Then why do it? Why go out of your way, risk injury and all those endorsement dollars, just to represent a Country you don't need, or agree with?... Was it just to take a knee during the anthem?

Because she does need it... Because the protest is at best a hollow gesture, and at worse a contrived one, designed to elevate her brand.
USWNT is where all the endorsement money is for women's soccer. They can become global stars on that stage...
Which again, makes you wonder about that protest... Playing to the foreign audience?

I don't understand why you accuse her of having an ulterior motive for playing with the national team. Its perfectly reasonable to want to play in a world cup or the olympics because they are the pinnacle of their respective sports. East German athletes participated in the Olympics under their flag even if they weren't entirely happy about the soviet administration. As a sports person you have a shelf life.

She is 33 now and she has been appearing for the U16 team at USA level since 2002 so she wouldn't even be able to change nationalities and then go through a probation period if she wanted to change national representation.

She has been protesting with the anthem since 2015 even when she represents her club so its not even Trump related or playing up to an international media. She's also been vocal about equal wages for female athletes and fought the USWNT for it and won. She clearly feels strongly about the challenges to the rights of people like her and she chooses to protest it. It doesn't mean she hates the country.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#1498 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:57 pm

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:

I don't understand why you accuse her of having an ulterior motive for playing with the national team. Its perfectly reasonable to want to play in a world cup or the olympics because they are the pinnacle of their respective sports. East German athletes participated in the Olympics under their flag even if they weren't entirely happy about the soviet administration. As a sports person you have a shelf life.

She is 33 now and she has been appearing for the U16 team at USA level since 2002 so she wouldn't even be able to change nationalities and then go through a probation period if she wanted to change national representation.

She has been protesting with the anthem since 2015 even when she represents her club so its not even Trump related or playing up to an international media. She's also been vocal about equal wages for female athletes and fought the USWNT for it and won. She clearly feels strongly about the challenges to the rights of people like her and she chooses to protest it. It doesn't mean she hates the country.

Indeed.

"I think that I'm particularly and uniquely and very deeply American. If we want to talk about the ideals that we stand for, all the songs and the anthem and sort of what we were founded on, I think I'm extremely American. I think for the detractors, I would have them look hard into what I'm actually saying and the actions that I'm doing. Maybe you don't agree with every single way that I do it, and that can be discussed. I know that I'm not perfect.

"But I think I stand for honesty, for truth and for wanting to have the conversation. And for looking at the country honestly and saying, yes, we are a great country and there are many things that are so amazing -- and I feel very fortunate to be in this country. I'd never be able to do this in a lot of other places.

"But also, that doesn't mean that we can't get better. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't always strive to be better. I think that this country was founded on a lot of great ideals, but it was also founded on slavery. And I think we just need to be really honest about that and be really open in talking about that, so we can reconcile that and hopefully move forward and make this country better for everyone."

I'm thrilled to have somebody as principled and courageous as Megan Rapinoe represent me. The fact that she's a total bad-ass who always comes through when it matters is a distant second to those qualities.

Also, that clip about her not wanting to visit the White House -- hey, join the club there -- was recorded months ago, and only released during the Cup.

Also II, the USWNT is setting records for jersey sales, so clearly not too many people care to begin with.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1499 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:05 pm

Slava wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:

I'm saying there's clear duplicitous-ness there... Call it an ulterior motive or whatever you want... Like you said, she wants to have her cake and eat it too... She wants to play for the USA National Team, but she wants to Protest USA while she does it... She sacrifices nothing for her protest, in fact I think it's likely that she actually benefits from it.

I'm for protesting what you disagree with... She should definitely continue to do that if she truly believes in it, but I think doing it in the the Team USA uniform weakens her protests validity. It opens her up to the criticism I outlined here...

Like working for Sea Shepard and eating whale meat tacos, because they're good and you don't want to give them up.

That said, my sentiments weren't really focused on Rapinoe alone... She's maybe the trigger for it, but I just think this team has sort of lost the point of what they're doing there... They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.

So watching them win, just isn't all that interesting anymore.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#1500 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:10 pm

Kilroy wrote:They seem all about personal attention rather than recognizing how much their fans place their national pride in them... It's not just a USWNT thing either, it's kind of become a problem for all our national teams. Like all the players want to distance themselves from US policy but still want the fun of playing for the US team.

what are you talking about ...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers