ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyler Herro

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,858

Re: Welcome Tyler Herro 

Post#81 » by unowen85 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:04 am

I’ll be happy if he can become an Eddie House type player. Someone who can come in off the bench and provide a quick offensive spark, knocking down a couple threes to get the offense rolling again. And if he can do anything more than that, I’ll be surprised. The lack of athleticism and short wingspan, to go along with a middle school aged boy body means the odds are stacked against him. But I’ll be rooting for him.
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,431

Post#82 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am

Bhut Jolokia wrote:I’m worried that Herro’s shorter wingspan could cause him problems as a full time SG. He might be better off as a PG if he can improve his quickness. Maybe that’s something he can work on if possible.

I've been thinking about him at PG as well.

I'm not sure he can become a full time PG, but If he works on his already good court vision and handle, I see no reason he can't be half of a back court duo that initiate offense. He'll need a bigger guard next to him, someone who could take some ballhandling and defensive pressure. Someone like Justise might work, with Herro guarding the PG of other team.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Bhut Jolokia
Pro Prospect
And1: 828

Post#83 » by Bhut Jolokia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:13 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Bhut Jolokia wrote:I’m worried that Herro’s shorter wingspan could cause him problems as a full time SG. He might be better off as a PG if he can improve his quickness. Maybe that’s something he can work on if possible.

I've been thinking about him at PG as well.

I'm not sure he can become a full time PG, but If he works on his already good court vision and handle, I see no reason he can't be half of a back court duo that initiate offense. He'll need a bigger guard next to him, someone who could take some ballhandling and defensive pressure. Someone like Justise might work, with Herro guarding the PG of other team.

https://www.hothothoops.com/2019/6/25/18758578/kevin-durant-on-miami-heat-tyler-herro-you-gotta-have-skills-if-you-want-to-last-nba-draft

Kevin Durant likes Herro’s skills and thinks he can play point guard too.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,198

Post#84 » by rate_ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm

I don’t care what position Herro plays as long as he is allowed to run the offense at times. I am presuming they will use him primarily as a spot up shooter like in Kentucky. During the introductory press conference, they also acknowledged he can be used as a primarily facilitator, in P&R (98th percentile).
DrHeat
Junior
And1: 617

Post#85 » by DrHeat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:23 pm

I few observations on Herro after watching some full Kentucky games

Besides the obvious: Very competitive, good shooter with potential to be great shooter ( due to exceptional FT shooting), not afraid of the big moment

Gets really good elevation on his jumper, he is great at shooting off the dribble (a glaring weakness in our roster since other than Dion nobody can really do it) and very high BB IQ at relocating and finding open space in the court ala Steph curry and Ray Allen (this is actually his most impressive skill)

He will a good player after some adaptation period to NBA defenses and when he gets physical stronger and can absorb some contact.

Now to become a borderline star or all start ...

He needs to tighten his handle and show that he can create for others and he needs to improve shooting during hand offs on the move (like Reddick, Ellington and Korver)

His first step I am not really worried about... He seems athletic enough and when you are a good to great shooter you can do very well without an explosive first step.. Steph and Klay don't have great first steps and seem to get to the rim a lot
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,735

Post#86 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 pm

One thing I feel that Tyler will supply that we desperately need is that killer instinct. He has some moxie. Like the anti-Rich.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,735

Post#87 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Can't believe I'm enthralled watching him shoot FTs right now. Boy misses once a month. Insane.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,458

Post#88 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:56 am

DayofMourning wrote:One thing I feel that Tyler will supply that we desperately need is that killer instinct. He has some moxie. Like the anti-Rich.

Would be cool if we could use him like Brook Lopez, tuck him deep in the corner and jus phuck with everyone's defense

If he could be an off-the-dribble threat from that distance he'd be really useful
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,198

Post#89 » by rate_ » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 am

Bishop45 wrote:
Spoiler:
DayofMourning wrote:One thing I feel that Tyler will supply that we desperately need is that killer instinct. He has some moxie. Like the anti-Rich.

Would be cool if we could use him like Brook Lopez, tuck him deep in the corner and jus phuck with everyone's defense

If he could be an off-the-dribble threat from that distance he'd be really useful

Off the dribble jumper by points-per-possession (2 or more possessions-per-game):

Herro .991
KPJ .979
Ponds .978
J Poole .960
Jerome .950
C Edwards .907
Morant .872
Langford .864
Barrett .859
NAW .797
Culver .779
THT .649
White .629
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#90 » by SlowPaced » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm warming up to Tyler. Not nearly as upset as I was when he was first picked.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#91 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 am

CrossOver wrote:Herro's negative wingspan concerns me more for the defensive side of the ball. By all accounts, Herro was a solid defender when he was engaged at Kentucky but that lack of length can make it that much more difficult to guard SG/SF in today's NBA. Spo's propensity to want to go with guys that aren't a big liability on defense could impact how he develops.

Initially, I was really upset that they didn't go with Little, Langford or Sekou but just sort of digging through stuff on Herro a bit more I do see the potential of how he can be a strong offensive piece to the core of Winslow, JR, Bam and DJJ. I think the goal is to get that core to continue developing and when the cap space opens up you find that star to put them over the top.

Herro is like worlds better than those guys

Herro is going to be the Heat best player in like 3 years
No-Man
RealGM

Post#92 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 am

he is not the same type of player aesthetically but his impact and game cons/pros is very similar to CJ McCollum, he is obviously rawer, 2.5 years younger than CJ was when draft, but that's kinda what you should groom him to be, a CG
No-Man
RealGM

Post#93 » by No-Man » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:08 am

unowen85 wrote:I’ll be happy if he can become an Eddie House type player. Someone who can come in off the bench and provide a quick offensive spark, knocking down a couple threes to get the offense rolling again. And if he can do anything more than that, I’ll be surprised. The lack of athleticism and short wingspan, to go along with a middle school aged boy body means the odds are stacked against him. But I’ll be rooting for him.

Herro is a good athlete, he is not elite, but he is good
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,458

Post#94 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:30 pm

The few concerns with him playing PG or being a handler shown here and there, but his 3pt shot and versatility out there was nice

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#95 » by Rock Hardy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:52 pm

That boy can shoot. I like that. The coaches can work with him on his handle. Lord knows they helped Mario Chalmers to stop being a complete liability on the ball, and his foundation coming out of college wasn't as good as Herro's.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#96 » by Heat3 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:43 pm

Missed some layups. Already ahead of schedule.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#97 » by heat4life » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:04 pm

Yeah, he dribbles a little to high and needs to handle better. I also saw him struggle at the rim and little lost defensively. First game in the league and nothing that he can't get better at with hard work and time. You do see the "cojones" to shoot from anywhere and against any defense. He looks very comfortable on the break and has good recognition of the play when on offense. Looks promising for sure.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#98 » by GameTime_3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:50 pm

Herro to me wont be a star but he can be a valuable shooter on the floor that isnt afraid of the moment. The league is changing and Herro is a solid piece. Yes, you can see the handles and he needs to improve but does anyone remember how Justise was in the first year? Herro is much further along in that category.
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,862

Post#99 » by Paz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:00 pm

I had no idea who Herro was before the HEAT selected him, as I’m not a big college basketball fan but I really like what I’ve seen from him since I started looking into him. He’s a high motor player that has a killer instinct with shooting mechanics to match. Sure he can definitely work to polish his game but he’s far from raw and I can see him making a positive impact from game 1 of the rs. I’m super excited we got him. HEAT draft scouting has been trending positively these last few seasons, finally.
Seabass777
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,723

Post#100 » by Seabass777 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:03 pm

Welcome White Drip, the next Devin Booker.
"Til the last second...Til the last man... We Fight! We Fight! We Fight!"-Together We Rise. #HEATLifer...

Return to Miami Heat