ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 - 2021 Free-Agents

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Who will be a member of the Clippers this summer?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:58 pm

Patrick Beverley
22%
Jimmy Butler
22%
DeMarcus Cousins
No votes
Kevin Durant
No votes
Al Horford
22%
Kyrie Irving
No votes
Kawhi Leonard
33%
Klay Thompson
No votes
An Ex-Clipper (Harris, Jordan, Aminu, Green, Temple, etc.)
No votes
Someone acquired by trade
No votes

Total votes: 9

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Re: 2019 & 2020 Free-Agents 

Post#981 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:15 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:By the way much worse stuff was said about Zach Randolph as a Knick but he turned in to an asset later on the Grizzlies playoff teams. Sometimes a change of scenery does work. Not often but sometimes.

I think the difference with Cousins is also that he is tough to coach, besides being a headache in the locker room. But people change, and there is proof problem children finding the right situation and flourishing.
A cheap, one-year deal with Cousins could be something we can look at. If we can't be productive and/or causing problems, you can trade him or simply waive him. It is a risk/reward situation.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#982 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:20 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:By the way much worse stuff was said about Zach Randolph as a Knick but he turned in to an asset later on the Grizzlies playoff teams. Sometimes a change of scenery does work. Not often but sometimes.

I think the difference with Cousins is also that he is tough to coach, besides being a headache in the locker room. But people change, and there is proof problem children finding the right situation and flourishing.
A cheap, one-year deal with Cousins could be something we can look at. If we can't be productive and/or causing problems, you can trade him or simply waive him. It is a risk/reward situation.

That is my thinking. If cheap enough you can take a high reward high risk chance. You can always say bye if it doesn't work out. Zach had as bad a reputation as anyone as a Knick. This was a video of him over dribbling before shooting a long air ball that many pointed to in that time.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#983 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:41 pm

Have to agree with QRich3 and TucsonClip here. Big issue here is that Cousins' injury amplified his weaknesses; getting back on D, switching and help play. Those were never good; now they're really bad. Maybe it was mental before, maybe not. Now it's physical too. I don't see him overcoming that.

To me, it's addition by subtraction. We've got a 22 year old C that played well for us last year. We've got a legitimate 6MOY caliber player who plays more at C coming off the bench. We know those guys git in with our culture and other players. Every minute that Cousins plays takes minutes from those guys. I don't see the plus in that. (Now, if Boogie was a PF ... that might be a different matter. Maybe. But he isn't.)
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#984 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:18 pm

Boban agreed on a two year deal with Mavs.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#985 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:42 pm

Tobias Harris Is Heartbroken Over Boban Marjanovic Going To The Mavericks

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tobias-harris-reaction-boban-marjanovic-mavericks-free-agency/2/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#986 » by Young Sterling » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:46 pm

esqtvd wrote:Tobias Harris Is Heartbroken Over Boban Marjanovic Going To The Mavericks

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tobias-harris-reaction-boban-marjanovic-mavericks-free-agency/2/

*WE are heartbroken over him going to the mavs too... Watching Tobi and Bobi's twitter is like watching to puppies from the same litter get separated at an adoption fair.. truly heartbreaking. :lol: :lol:
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#987 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:05 pm

Okay, since we’re waiting to hear about Kawhi, here’s my plan for something else we should do. Get ready to laugh.

Offer Luol Deng a 1 year/$2.5 million deal. Hilarity ensues!

Except it’s kind of a great idea, IMO. It counts as essentially nothing against our cap; $2.56 million is a vet minimum contract for a player who has played over 10 years—and only the amount for a second year minimum player counts against team cap space. So the league would actually pay over a third of Deng’s salary, and he'd count for close to a minimum player amount on our books.

And he’s a good locker room guy. Last year in Minnesota, he worked with younger players, and they were pretty upfront about how much they appreciated it. They also mentioned how he was always at practice early and hustling. That rubs off. It also kinda fits in with our current team culture and players.

Plus—and here’s the wild thing—he can still kinda play a little. He’s not the guy who averaged 13 and 6 in 33 mpg with Miami for a couple of years … and he’s not the guy who averaged 9 and 4 in 24 mpg in 10 games in February. Wait—he is that second guy. He’s old now and is more of a PF—but he still works hard and can play and defend both forward positions. Picking up a guy like that who could give us 500-1000 quality minutes, maybe a few more, at positions we could use help at for a minimum level salary would be a smart move.

And, c’mon. Deng would love to stick it to the Lakers. That’s a plus in my book too.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Iggy Unlikely to Be Bought Out 

Post#988 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Crazy Things to Think About in Free Agency 

Post#989 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 4, 2019 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,141

Post#990 » by og15 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:22 am

donemilio21 wrote:

What about problem 29 year olds?
Ranma
RealGM

Making Preparations for Pipedream 

Post#991 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:49 am

mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: Making Preparations for Pipedream 

Post#992 » by mttwlsn16 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:22 am

Ranma wrote:

Lol Giannis to the Knicks has the same chance of happening as LeBron and KD did. Zero. At least not until Dolan sells.
Ranma
RealGM

Greek Freak and Real-Deal Beal 

Post#993 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:36 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:Lol Giannis to the Knicks has the same chance of happening as LeBron and KD did. Zero. At least not until Dolan sells.

I agree but that's a different story for the Clippers should Antetokounmpo and/or Beal become available in the summer of 2021. One would think that the Bucks would readily hand Giannis the supermax, but if they hesitate or become reluctant to pay him $50 million a year over 5 years as a small-market club, he'll likely become a free agent. Likewise, if Washington still doesn't figure things out, they'll have to eventually accept trading Bradley or risk losing him for nothing once he hits free agency.

This is exactly why smart organizations don't spend salary-cap space just for the sake of spending or fall back to a Plan C or D to be the default Plan B just to do something when Plan A doesn't work out and Plan B becomes unavailable. It's the reason why the Knicks have always been the Knicks and why Brooklyn finally learned to do things the right way.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#994 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 5, 2019 3:46 pm

Anybody know the deal with Willie Cauley-Stein?

Is he just a Warrior now? Done deal? Do the Kings have an opportunity to match?

What are his contract numbers?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#995 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:51 pm

I believe they renounced him so he became UFA.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#996 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:37 pm

wco81 wrote:I believe they renounced him so he became UFA.

Good pick up if you ask me. One I mentioned for the Clips earlier this season.

If Klay is back by Mid-January/February and can get the regular season reps, I have the Warriors as the favorites....

If though.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#997 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:03 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
wco81 wrote:I believe they renounced him so he became UFA.

Good pick up if you ask me. One I mentioned for the Clips earlier this season.

If Klay is back by Mid-January/February and can get the regular season reps, I have the Warriors as the favorites....

If though.

I have no idea how Deangelo or Stein will work out but I respect that GS did not just lay back and say well we had our run but now that KD is gone and Klay hurt we will just move on. Boith could be bad fits but at least they took a swing and got guys that could also have trade value if they don't work out. Guess they will play some 3 guard sets when Klay comes back.

I was surprised so many teams would sign guys like KD and Klay coming off major injuries. 3 decades ago that would not happen.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,241

Post#998 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:05 pm

I know ACLs aren't as devastating as they used to be.

But rushing back is risky. I still remember Jerry Rice got reinjured within first year of being back from ACL.

Jabari Parker also got a second ACL.

If the team is just a marginal playoffs team, maybe not bother bringing him back, unless Curry is on track to break his 3-point record or something.

Team getting into the lottery for the first time in 8 years wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, unless they traded next year's pick for Russell sign and trade.

It's really tough for Klay, never seen him shoot so well, way over 50% for the Finals I believe and he was shooting many of them over Kawhi and Siakam.
Ranma
RealGM

Clips Interested in Taking a Holiday 

Post#999 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:01 am

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#1000 » by donemilio21 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:52 pm

Can somebody post a clear picture of what our cap space looks like at the moment? I assume we can sign Kawhi, wait to resign Bev, Zubac, Green and then do the trade. We should still have room, right?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers