Minutes Rotation

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Minutes Rotation 

Post#1 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:17 am

Assuming 1 game vs an averaged 2020 nba team with a winning record, no garbage time:

Conley (32) / Mudiay (16) / Wright-Foreman
Mitchell (34) / O'Neale (14) / Exum [until we see if he can play, could take Mudiay's minutes]
Bogdanovic (32) / Ingles (12) / O'neale (4) / Oni
Green (24) / Ingles (16) / Niang (8) / Brantley
Gobert (32) / Davis (16) / Bradley

I'm rooting for Brantley to take Niang's minutes. I want a bigger body for defense and rebounding, and we already have Joe and Bojan doing what Niang does, only better.

What do you got?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Re: Minutes Rotation 

Post#2 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:47 am

Niang is much more proven. Brantley is going to get grayson minutes this yr.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#3 » by pickIBL » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:53 am

Ingles, bojan, and conley spacing the floor for spida. Watch out league
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,337

Post#4 » by DelaneyRudd » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:37 am

We’re prepared to have small injuries and *gasp* rest healthy players.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#5 » by Tom349 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:19 pm

Conley (30) - Mudiay (18)
Mitchell (30) - Exum (18) - Kidd
Bogdanovic (30) - O’Neale (18)
Green (17) - Ingles (26) - Niang (5)
Gobert (30) - Davis (18) - Bradley
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:29 pm

RS

G Conley (33) - Exum (15)
G Mitchell (33) - O'Neale (15)
F Bogdanovic (10) - Ingles (28)
F Green (20) - Bogdonovic (20) - Niang (8)
C Gobert (33) - Davis (15)

PO

G Conley (38) - Mitchell (10)
G Mitchell (28) - O'Neale (20)
F Bogdanovic (12) - Ingles (36)
F Green (24) - Bogdanovic (24)
C Gobert (38) - Davis (10)
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#7 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:30 pm

KqWIN wrote:RS

G Conley (33) - Exum (15)
G Mitchell (33) - O'Neale (15)
F Bogdanovic (10) - Ingles (28)
F Green (20) - Bogdonovic (20) - Niang (8)

PO

G Conley (38) - Mitchell (10)
G Mitchell (28) - O'Neale (20)
F Bogdanovic (12) - Ingles (36)
F Green (24) - Bogdanovic (24)
C Gobert (38) - Davis (10)

Those PO mins look deadly.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#8 » by KDBG » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:54 pm

It's interesting, Tony Jones is saying Green will be the starter at the 4, but David Locke tweeted out the rotations, and had Bojan as the starting 4.

We'll see what happens.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#9 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:56 pm

Trying to make a rotation is more difficult than listing the minutes. Do you think we stagger Conley and Mitchell?

Also, I think in a normal game starters plan on playing more minutes than we're all putting down. For example, Rudy and Donovan will go into a game with 36 in mind...but their season average will be much lower than that.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#10 » by stitches » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:18 pm

KqWIN wrote:Trying to make a rotation is more difficult than listing the minutes. Do you think we stagger Conley and Mitchell?

Also, I think in a normal game starters plan on playing more minutes than we're all putting down. For example, Rudy and Donovan will go into a game with 36 in mind...but their season average will be much lower than that.

The answer is kind of obvious but IMO it would depend on how much we can rely on our backup PG. How confident are we in Exum/Mudiay? Do we still think Exum is a PG even? Honestly... I think taking a shot on Mudiay is alright, but he has not been good... like ever. People **** on Exum all the time, but Mudiay has never even approached the level of play Exum showed after returning from his shoulder injury. I honestly don't think I would be happy putting Mudiay on the floor if he doesn't improve on what he's shown in the league so far(the last season was a bit of an improvement but still not great).

The thing I wonder about is... do we do Ingles-Bogdanovic rotation in the fashion we did Favors-Gobert last year? Not because I don't think it will be good, but in order to save them for the playoffs and not overload whoever is going to have to guard the PFs. So... my idea would be - start them both... but make the quick sub out after 5-6 minutes for a PF(Green) and then repeat in second half... with the only wrinkle being - only add minutes to that combo if we are in the clutch and we need shooting. Otherwise don't overplay it - keep it for the playoffs... less chance for opponents to scout it, less wear and tear on Ingles and Bogdanovic. Then unleash it to full effect in the playoffs.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#11 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:23 pm

stitches wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Trying to make a rotation is more difficult than listing the minutes. Do you think we stagger Conley and Mitchell?

The answer is kind of obvious but IMO it would depend on how much we can rely on our backup PG. How confident are we in Exum/Mudiay? Do we still think Exum is a PG even? Honestly... I think taking a shot on Mudiay is alright, but he has not been good... like ever. People **** on Exum all the time, but Mudiay has never even approached the level of play Exum showed after returning from his shoulder injury. I honestly don't think I would be happy putting Mudiay on the floor if he doesn't improve on what he's shown in the league so far(the last season was a bit of an improvement but still not great).

The thing I wonder about is... do we do Ingles-Bogdanovic rotation in the fashion we did Favors-Gobert last year? Not because I don't think it will be good, but in order to save them for the playoffs and not overload whoever is going to have to guard the PFs. So... my idea would be - start them both... but make the quick sub out after 5-6 minutes for a PF(Green) and then repeat in second half... with the only wrinkle being - only add minutes to that combo if we are in the clutch and we need shooting. Otherwise don't overplay it - keep it for the playoffs... less chance for opponents to scout it, less wear and tear on Ingles and Bogdanovic. Then unleash it to full effect in the playoffs.

I'd rather have Ingles or Bogey run than show than Exum or Mudiay. I don't want Mudiay to be playing at all to be honest.

I'm running through some rotations patterns...it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Lot's of options. It might make more rotation sense to start Bogey and Ingles together. I'll run some more and report back on what I think is best.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#12 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:56 pm

I'll tell you what, it might make most sense to start Royce. The one combo I keep trying to avoid is Exum-Royce. Hard to do that when they are both coming off the bench.
TO11
Senior
And1: 297

Post#13 » by TO11 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:00 pm

stitches wrote:

I like this idea a lot and wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Ingles and Bogdanovic start then sub out Ingles for Green around 7 minute mark, just like you said. Then sub Ingles in for Conley at the end of the first and have Ingles, Oneale, Bogdanovic, Green, Davis or maybe even Gobert to end the first...IDK something like that. Who knows maybe Quin will switch starters between Ingles and Green depending on the matchup...IDK it will be fun to see what Quin does.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#14 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:53 pm

KDBG wrote:It's interesting, Tony Jones is saying Green will be the starter at the 4, but David Locke tweeted out the rotations, and had Bojan as the starting 4.

We'll see what happens.

I think that about the only thing annoying me about the Jazz offseason (other than losing Favs) is the Jazz PR machine trying to spin that a SF/SG is somehow going to be a starting PF. Makes no sense. Even the Pacer people I've heard on the radio discussing him, say that there's no way he's playing the Four.

Maybe it's just because the Jazz haven't had the chance to sell Ingles on being a 27mpg bench player/second unit point-forward yet, but come'on.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#15 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:08 pm

Really, at the end of the day there are more than 48mpg at each position because it's inevitable that players miss games (giving other players more minutes), overtime, etc.. Still, on a 48 minute restriction, here are my thoughts. (I think PF will be all over the place, with all sorts of players playing minutes in that spot depending on who's hot & match-ups.)

PG Conley (32) - Exum (11), Mitchell (5)
SG Mitchell (30) - Mudiay (15) Ingles (3)
SF Bogdanovic (29) - Ingles (14), O'Neale (5)
PF Green (23) - Ingles (10), O'Neale (11), Niang (4) .... perhaps Davis on occasion instead of Niang

10 man rotation + Niang getting spot minutes; Mitchell (35), Gobert (33), Conley (32), Bogdonavich (29), Ingles (27), Green (23), O'Neale (16), Davis (15), Mudiay (15), Exum (11), Niang (4)

Like I said above, their minutes will be higher. O'Neale, particularly will likely be 20+ due to his versatility. Pretty much if anyone on the roster goes down (other than Rudy), he'll be able to pick up some of those minutes.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:21 pm

Both Ingles/Bojan will close. Who is the four is just a semantics argument that doesn't matter. Ingles is better on the perimeter, Bojan has more strength to fight in the post.

There really isn't a big PF on a good team that the Jazz should worry about defending. Alrdrige and Zinger will likely close at C. Millsap is probably the toughest matchup. But if Bogey can "guard" LeBron, don't see it as a huge issue to guard Millsap.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#17 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:36 pm

KqWIN wrote:Both Ingles/Bojan will close. Who is the four is just a semantics argument that doesn't matter. Ingles is better on the perimeter, Bojan has more strength to fight in the post.

There really isn't a big PF on a good team that the Jazz should worry about defending. Alrdrige and Zinger will likely close at C. Millsap is probably the toughest matchup. But if Bogey can "guard" LeBron, don't see it as a huge issue to guard Millsap.

I think it it more than semantic. As it stands, the question is who is more rugged and capable of guarding the bigger player? But we can make it a more specific question. He's the list of 4s and 5s we'll be facing this year from good team (4s bolded):

Lakers - James, Davis, Kuzma
Nuggets - Millsap, Jokic
Blazers - Collins, Nurkic, Whiteside
Rockets - Tucker, Capela
Warriors - Green, Looney, Cauley-Stein
Thunder - Grant, Adams (Noel?)
Spurs - Aldridge, Poeltl, Gay
Pelicans - Zion, Favors
Kings - Bagley, Dedmon, Bjelica

Sixers - Horford, Embiid, Harris (Simmons)
Bucks - Giannis, Lopez
Pacers - Sabonis, Turner
Raptors - Siakam, Gasol, Ibaka
Celtics - Morris?, Kanter
Knicks - Entire roster.

That's a lot of big bodies getting a lot of minutes at the 4. The question is about how are we going to square up on defense with our personnel. Who's going to guard that 4, and for how long, and it that a good idea?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#18 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:53 pm

KqWIN wrote:Trying to make a rotation is more difficult than listing the minutes.

I agree. But I think my level of description will actually be more predictive about season minutes than trying to work through an actual rotation for a particular game (which is why I chose an averaged game at the outset), with all of the synergies involved. (It's the same kind of prediction error effect we see from individuals trying to guess which state will go to which candidate, and adding it all up in the end, vs making a general prediction about the outcome. The latter is much more accurate for individuals making guesses.) But by all means, go for a specific rotation if you'd like--that's fun to do in a different way.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#19 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:15 pm

KqWIN wrote:I'll tell you what, it might make most sense to start Royce. The one combo I keep trying to avoid is Exum-Royce. Hard to do that when they are both coming off the bench.

I think we will start Royce a lot this year. Give I goes a break. Give Royce the toughest wing defensive assignment. Let Joe become 6th man of the year.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#20 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:45 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I'll tell you what, it might make most sense to start Royce. The one combo I keep trying to avoid is Exum-Royce. Hard to do that when they are both coming off the bench.

I think we will start Royce a lot this year. Give I goes a break. Give Royce the toughest wing defensive assignment. Let Joe become 6th man of the year.

Alternatively, I think Exum doesn't make the regular rotation. If we've learned anything since drafting him, it's that one shouldn't plan around him being good or healthy.

Return to Utah Jazz