Read on Twitter
?s=20
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,026

Re: Pacers sign TJ McConnell 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:37 pm

Likely the Room exception? But there's the more "pure" style of PG. All kinds of flexibility of guys playing up and down the roster.

And another TJ :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's quite a bit less than the room exception, so it could be coming out of cap space.

I really like this signing at baseline, at these numbers. But, if we then use the remaining $2-3m in salary cap space to front load the Brogdon/Lamb signings, or even make them flat salary across the life of the contract, I love it even more. Then, the room exception for the guy that can truly defend the wing/stretch 4 we're looking for (like a RHJ), and a vet minimum on an old guy for the locker room? Top notch.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#4 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:39 pm

Here's more confirmation:

Read on Twitter

didn't I read somewhere that he wasn't used much in the playoffs because he isn't much of a shooter?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:42 pm

Wizop wrote:Here's more confirmation:

Read on Twitter

didn't I read somewhere that he wasn't used much in the playoffs because he isn't much of a shooter?

Better shooter from deep than CoJo. But yeah, he's not tremendous there. He is a defender, though not quite a CoJo there.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#7 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:44 pm

Don’t like this unless he’s not cutting into Holiday and Sumner.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:46 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Don’t like this unless he’s not cutting into Holiday and Sumner.

I think Sumner will get his early season minutes at 2. in any event, we needed two signings to get to minimum roster side and all posts, tweets, and articles said it would be a point guard and a big.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:50 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Don’t like this unless he’s not cutting into Holiday and Sumner.

I see Holiday fluid at the 1 and 2. I see Brogdon being fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. I've seen the Indystar list Lamb as fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. Warren at 3/4. I could see Dougie as a 2/3. Vic as our 2. McConnell as a 1. Alize as a 3/4/5.

I think with rest and proper game planning, it can work out just fine. Though, I think TJ is clearly the 3rd PG in pecking order. Maybe a bit more money, or an extra year, to sign on for a year over a lesser role?
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:17 pm

Very good choice IMO

Pass first point guard, plays hard defensively.

Ideally, he is the Kyle O'Quinn of this season and doesn't play much because our youth can handle it, but will be ready to play when otherwise.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#11 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:21 pm

I like this, quite a bit actually. He's a player that I've considered would he a good addition to the new roster. Bonus points for signing him away from 76ers, who really don't have a bench now

The only awkward thing is, Pacers now have 8 deserving players trying to split time at 1-2-3: Vic, Brogdon, Warren, Lamb, Doug, Holiday, McConnell, Sumner

I have no idea how they are going to allocate the playing time, especially knowing that Nate favours a tight 8-man rotation; even if he were to go with a 10-man rotation, someone's still getting left out (we have those 8 players I mentioned just now, plus 3 more in Myles, Domas, Leaf, or 4 if you include Goga)

Maybe we'll see the Pacers run a 12-man rotation :lol:

Has that actually been done before? Can it actually be done?

Anyway, McConnell's probably getting KoQ type minutes, but at PG - meaning we probably won't see him play unless injuries crop up or something

That's good, as Bucks fans have talked alot about Brogdon and his foot, so we have an insurance in McConnell now, someone who is cheap and effective, so I like this a lot

Oh, meanwhile, in Pacers gym...

Nate: "Hey, TJ!"

Warren & Leaf & McConnell: "Yes coach?"
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:57 pm

Lost in all of this is that our only free agents at year's end will be Sabonis and Alize. We have 11 guys under contract for next year, and likely no 1st round pick next year (due to the Brogdon S&T). We also will have around $36m under the luxury tax for next year based on where it's projected (cap at $117m and tax at $142m). I bet we'll have plenty of room to re-sign Dom, and either use the full room exception (or remainder of cap) this year, or a good chunk of the full MLE next year ($10.66m).
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Lost in all of this is that our only free agents at year's end will be Sabonis and Alize.

McConnell could be waived economically to create a spot. in fact, if we make the playoffs, we'll need to do that just to create a spot for our draft choice unless we Euro stash or Alize doesn't earn a spot or we renegotiate with Milwaukee.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:09 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Lost in all of this is that our only free agents at year's end will be Sabonis and Alize.

McConnell could be waived economically to create a spot. in fact, if we make the playoffs, we'll need to do that just to create a spot for our draft choice unless we Euro stash or Alize doesn't earn a spot or we renegotiate with Milwaukee.

Reports are McConnell's deal is guaranteed, so waiving him wouldn't help, unless you want to stretch waive him which then goes into Vic Oladipo's pay raise years.

We also won't need a spot for our draft choice as it's going to Milwaukee. If you mean a 2nd? Maybe we sell it again? Or, it's our 15th spot next year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Reports are McConnell's deal is guaranteed, so waiving him wouldn't help, unless you want to stretch waive him which then goes into Vic Oladipo's pay raise years.

We also won't need a spot for our draft choice as it's going to Milwaukee. If you mean a 2nd? Maybe we sell it again? Or, it's our 15th spot next year.
reports say he can be waived for 1mm the day after the draft.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#17 » by MNPacersfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:42 pm

I think that what's really been lost in this is that the Pacers have now acquired all the TJ's in the league.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#18 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:19 pm

MNPacersfan wrote:I think that what's really been lost in this is that the Pacers have now acquired all the TJ's in the league.

We cornered the market on CJs a few years back too, so maybe it's our thing.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#19 » by pacers33granger » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:20 pm

I definitely like this signing. Would not have been shocked if we went after him as our backup PG, but looks like he'll be 3rd string, which is great. He's not anything special, but he'll be a good vet who should be able to step in if needed and do a decent job.
Sixerfan86
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#20 » by Sixerfan86 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:29 pm

Sixers fan here, very jealous of the Pacers right now. TJ has his physical limitations and is isn’t a great outside shooter (despite what numbers show). He has a good midrange game. But more importantly, his intangibles are unreal. He guards full court which is unheard of in the NBA, and probably steals more inbounds passes than any player in the league. He was definitely the mostly popular teammate of every sixers player. There will definitely be a few “TJ games” where he wins you guys games with his energy and smarts. He can be very streaky with his shooting, so don’t go crazy when he’s going through a few week slump

Return to Indiana Pacers