ImageImageImage

Welcome Jevon Carter! (traded for JJ/Melton/2nd's)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Welcome Jevon Carter! (traded for JJ/Melton/2nd's) 

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:19 pm

"The Suns are trading the No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft, underachieving forward Josh Jackson, to the Grizzlies with guard De'Anthony Melton, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 conditional second-round pick, league sources said. The Suns will also receive guard Jevon Carter, sources said."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27114612/sources-suns-waive-korver-jackson-deal

If they do something really good with the cap space they create then fine but otherwise Yuck. They traded 2 2nds to clear a small amount of cap space. Does not really make sense, teams would have taken Jackson without a pick despite the charecter issues.

If they sign someoene awesome with the space this is ok otherwise bad trade.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Re: Josh Jackscon, Melton 2 2nd's traded for Korver who is waied 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:22 pm

Spin Move wrote:"The Suns are trading the No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft, underachieving forward Josh Jackson, to the Grizzlies with guard De'Anthony Melton, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 conditional second-round pick, league sources said. The Suns will also receive guard Jevon Carter, sources said."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27114612/sources-suns-waive-korver-jackson-deal

If they do something really good with the cap space they create then fine but otherwise Yuck. They traded 2 2nds to clear a small amount of cap space. Does not really make sense, teams would have taken Jackson without a pick despite the charecter issues.

Half of what they cleared is just to sign Rubio. I think they cleared $5.5 million and needed like $2.8 million more to sign Rubio, so not much left.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:"The Suns are trading the No. 4 overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft, underachieving forward Josh Jackson, to the Grizzlies with guard De'Anthony Melton, a 2020 second-round pick and a 2021 conditional second-round pick, league sources said. The Suns will also receive guard Jevon Carter, sources said."

Half of what they cleared is just to sign Rubio. I think they cleared $5.5 million and needed like $2.8 million more to sign Rubio, so not much left.

Then definitely yuck, I don't mind the Rubio signing but they over paid nobody who would have wanted Rubio had over 10m in cap space.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:28 pm

Spin Move wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Then definitely yuck, I don't mind the Rubio signing but they over paid nobody who would have wanted Rubio had over 10m in cap space.

Yeah, I didn't think he should get more than $12-$14...wasn't even sure there would be much of a market for him.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:30 pm

So we gave away Melton and 2 2nds to overpay Rubio, I think Jackson will stick in this league as a rotation guy, I get the crime and family law stuff were a bad look but they didn't need to pay this much to get rid of him 2 2NDS was too much
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#6 » by Revived » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:37 pm

Spin Move wrote:So we gave away Melton and 2 2nds to overpay Rubio, I think Jackson will stick in this league as a rotation guy, I get the crime and family law stuff were a bad look but they didn't need to pay this much to get rid of him 2 2NDS was too much

No he’s not, you need some form of skill to stick in this league and he has nothing besides being athletic.

He’s worse than Archie Goodwin who at least did great in summer league while Jackson was awful in that too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:37 pm

Spin Move wrote:So we gave away Melton and 2 2nds to overpay Rubio, I think Jackson will stick in this league as a rotation guy, I get the crime and family law stuff were a bad look but they didn't need to pay this much to get rid of him 2 2NDS was too much

Yeah, you could say we used our existing cap space (we had around $10) to add Saric and Baynes, and then we traded TJ, JJ, Melton and 3 2nds to clear the space to overpay Rubio.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:49 pm

Melton was good on D at least, he had potential to be a good backup, don't like this at all.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#9 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:52 pm

Mmmh...

I don't know if I must expect a lot of moves from now on. I'm a newbie follower and I'm not used to PHO's Front Office habits.

Do you think the roster is near to be locked? (I mean meaningful guys for the rotation).
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,453

Post#10 » by Stix » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:04 pm

Damn, that's not a good deal. Looks like we will have to include 2nd rounders in any future trade now, since it seems to be becoming the norm.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,076

Post#11 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:08 pm

ZER0 wrote:Damn, that's not a good deal. Looks like we will have to include 2nd rounders in any future trade now, since it seems to be becoming the norm.

Call the Suns and walk away with a 2nd round pick! lol :x
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:16 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

I don't know if I must expect a lot of moves from now on. I'm a newbie follower and I'm not used to PHO's Front Office habits.

Do you think the roster is near to be locked? (I mean meaningful guys for the rotation).

Well the entire roster is overturned. We don't have anyone but Booker left from our team prior to last summer. And only our 3 draft picks and Tyler Johnson from last year in addition to him. If we keep Oubre, that will be the 6th guy that remains. Other than that, everyone else is new. We did add a guy late in the year, Ray Spalding, who might be back...I think he's on our summer league team.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#13 » by Flying Colors » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:18 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

Most likly, If there is any move left, its probably for a third string big, but otherwise, this is it
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#14 » by Wilber85 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:33 pm

Damn y’all mad about everything

I don’t care if Jackson goes and scores 20 ppg in Memphis

He was the odd man out and was not a smart player. He wasn’t going to make us a contender , neither was Melton. I liked Melton too but we are better , and now more balanced
schnakenpopanz
General Manager
And1: 2,570

Post#15 » by schnakenpopanz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:52 am

I called out hedo, shannon brown, beasley and jackson from the start that they were trash. sad to see I was right.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk
free steve nash!
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,044

Post#16 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:02 am

Wilber85 wrote:Damn y’all mad about everything

I don’t care if Jackson goes and scores 20 ppg in Memphis

He was the odd man out and was not a smart player. He wasn’t going to make us a contender , neither was Melton. I liked Melton too but we are better , and now more balanced

If Jackson gets the minutes to make 20 ppg in Memphis then they are without a doubt the worst team in the league next year :lol:
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#17 » by Wilber85 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:22 am

schnakenpopanz wrote:I called out hedo, shannon brown, beasley and jackson from the start that they were trash. sad to see I was right.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

That is common sense
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,609

Post#18 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:30 am

Spin Move wrote:Melton was good on D at least, he had potential to be a good backup, don't like this at all.

Didn't like we gave up Melton but I think Carter/Melton are a bit of a wash. Both are solid defenders, Melton had a bit more size but Melton is a better shooter.

With the moves the Suns have made, seems pretty clear defense isn't a priority while shooting is. Take it how you will
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#19 » by hollywood6964 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:41 am

I don't like virtually any of the moves. We're playing give away. At some point Sarver has to realize the value of a good general manager. I don't know what that point is, looking like maybe never.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#20 » by darealjuice » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:44 am

I mean, the guys we're giving away were rotation players on a 19 win team... I liked Melton, but Carter is about the same defensively with more polish on offense.

Return to Phoenix Suns