ImageImageImage

who will they keep

Moderator: ijspeelman

Which 3 unsigned summerleague prospects have best odds to get a contract on Cavs 15 man roster

Osetkowski
14%
M-A-A-Rahkman
No votes
Booth
No votes
Cohen
14%
Hudson
No votes
Lawrence
No votes
Naz
43%
Williams
No votes
Zoosman
29%
Newman
No votes

Total votes: 7

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

who will they keep 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:00 pm

I like the option of bringing back Blossomgame , but if not I would offer Zoosman or Hudson a contract.

Remember Bolden and Wade already have the 2-way contracts!

EDIT apparently Bolden has not signed a 2-way contract yet.
**** reporters
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,070

Re: who will they keep 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:26 am

The answer is none at this point. You're adding three rookies drafted in the first round and two guys on two-way deals. That's 5 out of 15 right there.

Zizic, Nance, Love, TT, and Henson. Four centers and one PF.

Sexton, Clarkson, Cedi, Knight, and Delly. Four combo guards and one SF.

That's 15 players assuming JR is cut.

Hopefully, we can trade or buyout one or more of TT, Henson, Knight, Clarkson, or Delly because I'd really like to bring Nwaba back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#3 » by substancej » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:55 pm

None of the summer league roster players are better than Nwaba who we need to sign again. I think Naz will eventually end up on an NBA team though.
Kevin Love finna get traded
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The answer is none at this point. You're adding three rookies drafted in the first round and two guys on two-way deals. That's 5 out of 15 right there.

Hopefully, we can trade or buyout one or more of TT, Henson, Knight, Sexton, or Delly because I'd really like to bring Nwaba back.

Right my assumption is maybe 1 of them will get a spot on the roster if they just cut Smith.
The other possibility is Wade or Bolden gets their deal changed to one of the 15 and the Cavs use the then open 2-way spot for one of these prospects.
I don't think they have any reason not to bring in another rookie at this point in the rebuild.
I'd be shocked if they drafted Garland to replace Sexton( notice you included him as a trade option) and they definitely are not trading Sexton so they can keep Nwaba who by all accounts probably doesn't want to be here at this point.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The answer is none at this point. You're adding three rookies drafted in the first round and two guys on two-way deals. That's 5 out of 15 right there.

Hopefully, we can trade or buyout one or more of TT, Henson, Knight, Sexton, or Delly because I'd really like to bring Nwaba back.

Right my assumption is maybe 1 of them will get a spot on the roster if they just cut Smith.
The other possibility is Wade or Bolden gets their deal changed to one of the 15 and the Cavs use the then open 2-way spot for one of these prospects.
I don't think they have any reason not to bring in another rookie at this point in the rebuild.
I'd be shocked if they drafted Garland to replace Sexton( notice you included him as a trade option) and they definitely are not trading Sexton so they can keep Nwaba who by all accounts probably doesn't want to be here at this point.
We have 15 players under contract even if we cut JR. If we trade JR, we'll have 16 players under contract.

Edit: I meant to say Clarkson not Sexton re trade or buyout.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

We have 15 players under contract even if we cut JR. If we trade JR, we'll have 16 players under contract.

Edit: I meant to say Clarkson not Sexton re trade or buyout.

yeah that makes more sense.
I thought they had 11 guanteed not including the 3 1st round rookie guaranteeds making it 14 before Smith is moved.
+ the 2 rookie 2-way players in Wade and Bolden who are 16 and 17 respectively with 15 still unused unless they bring back Nwaba or Blossomegame or sign one of these sl roster prospects.
Maybe I have missed something?
1 Love
2 Sexton
3 TT
4 Smith
5 Clarkson
6 Henson
7 Delly
8 Nance
9 Osman
10 Knight
11 Zizic
--
12 Garland
13 Windler
14 KPJ
---
----
2-ways:
16 Wade
17 Bolden
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:42 am

The moment you call one of the guys on the two way deals up, they go on the clock. If you keep them up, you've got to cut someone else.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 5, 2019 9:51 am

jbk1234 wrote:The moment you call one of the guys on the two way deals up, they go on the clock. If you keep them up, you've got to cut someone else.

i love the 2way contract advantage as an avenue
to develop someone the first half of the season in Canton and move them up where they can finish out the season in a cavs jersey where they remain on the 2 way without eating a standard contract roster pisition...but if they cant do that not much point other than player rights imo
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#9 » by Trailbreaker » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:25 pm

Did we let go of Nwaba or did his contract expire? From the games I saw with him, I seem to recall he was a solid defender.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:03 pm

I say this every year, but players on other team's rosters will be up for grabs too.

That being said, Bolden, Naz, and Wade are playing well. Has Bolden already signed with another team? If so, who?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I say this every year, but players on other team's rosters will be up for grabs too.

That being said, Bolden, Naz, and Wade are playing well. Has Bolden already signed with another team? If so, who?

I had read somewhere since the draft that Wade AND Bolden had signed 2-way deals with CLE, but more recent articles say only wade was signed to a 2-way with Bolden & Booth signed only to a summer league deals and given Bolden has struggled with injuries throughout his 3 years at Duke is prob. only a candidate to sign for Canton or some other g-league roster to prove he can stay healthy first.The article also says Blossomgame should be offered a QO if not already and is the highest value target for the other 2-way contract unless he finds a better job elsewhere.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:20 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Did we let go of Nwaba or did his contract expire? From the games I saw with him, I seem to recall he was a solid defender.

They didn't offer him the QO ...so he's UFA
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:05 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Trailbreaker wrote:Did we let go of Nwaba or did his contract expire? From the games I saw with him, I seem to recall he was a solid defender.

It was implied he could still return for the right price ... he just won't have RFA hanging over his head, so, if he comes back cheap - he will at least know he got his market value.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

It was implied he could still return for the right price ... he just won't have RFA hanging over his head, so, if he comes back cheap - he will at least know he got his market value.

Yeah just read Blossomgame also isn't getting a QO..
I think the Cavs are moving on from both these guys after drafting Windler and Porter.
Nwaba and Blossomgame both brought solid defense to a roster devoid of it though so retaining '
at least one of them probably isn't a terrible idea unless they have to keep a spot open for a Smith trade
in the next 7 days, then maybe they bring one of them back on a sep. deal after
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#15 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:They didn't offer him the QO ...so he's UFA

I think the Cavs are moving on from both these guys after drafting Windler and Porter.
Nwaba and Blossomgame both brought solid defense to a roster devoid of it though so retaining '
at least one of them probably isn't a terrible idea unless they have to keep a spot open for a Smith trade

tbd, but I'm just not sure there's a place on the team for a wing that doesn't shoot well (maybe not even a big).
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

tbd, but I'm just not sure there's a place on the team for a wing that doesn't shoot well (maybe not even a big).

Right with Beilein at least 10 guys have to be efficient reliable cutters, passers and shooters. Getting players like that that also play lock down defense is going to be difficult when they are drafting knock down shooters that don't defend at all at 5,26 and 30.

I think the goal is to be an elite offensive unit that is so good the defensive weakness' won't matter.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#17 » by Trailbreaker » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:27 pm

Stillwater wrote:Right with Beilein at least 10 guys have to be efficient reliable cutters, passers and shooters. Getting players like that that also play lock down defense is going to be difficult when they are drafting knock down shooters that don't defend at all at 5,26 and 30.

I think the goal is to be an elite offensive unit that is so good the defensive weakness' won't matter.

In today’s NBA this might be the best strategy.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#18 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah just read Blossomgame also isn't getting a QO..

Right with Beilein at least 10 guys have to be efficient reliable cutters, passers and shooters. Getting players like that that also play lock down defense is going to be difficult when they are drafting knock down shooters that don't defend at all at 5,26 and 30.

Yes, but I presume it's more a matter of emphasis. Of course defense matters, but putting even one weak link on the floor can compromise an offense. The same can be said of a weak link on defense, but team defense is something that can be constantly worked on and improved pretty readily as long as the desire exists.

Or to just steal from recent history, the Cavs owned the East with a pretty simple formula. a) Have a player who demands a double-team, b) Surround him with shooters, and c) Cheat off the other team's weakest offensive player and let him try to beat you.

Now, LeBron is a pretty special player. Double teaming him was pretty much the worst thing you could do to try to slow him down. That's probably not the case with Garland, Sexton, Porter Jr, etc, but that's why we will need more than one guy who can create with the ball in his hands.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yes, but I presume it's more a matter of emphasis. Of course defense matters, but putting even one weak link on the floor can compromise an offense. The same can be said of a weak link on defense, but team defense is something that can be constantly worked on and improved pretty readily as long as the desire exists.

Or to just steal from recent history, the Cavs owned the East with a pretty simple formula. a) Have a player who demands a double-team, b) Surround him with shooters, and c) Cheat off the other team's weakest offensive player and let him try to beat you.

Now, LeBron is a pretty special player. Double teaming him was pretty much the worst thing you could do to try to slow him down. That's probably not the case with Garland, Sexton, Porter Jr, etc, but that's why we will need more than one guy who can create with the ball in his hands.

good points and I think Garland and KPJ definitely are above avg when it comes to creating for themselves. KPJ was severely slept on to fall to 30 with his elite baseline skill as an isolation player. I would not be surprised if turns out as the #1 option for CLE down the road.
Garland however is a ridiculous shooter with Curry like range which will draw defenders and if players like Cedi improve his shooting along with Sexton continuing to defy early opinions and hit over 40% from deep this roster should raise some eyebrows pretty fast.
BUT... I have zero confidence in the same players that are the best options offensively are high ceiling defenders. avg defenders at best.
Cavs will need to add some wing length to exploit high level offenses in the playoffs in a couple years and they still need an elite rim protector/rim runner
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:17 am

Windler is so much better than a std. 26th picked player. I could see him playing the 2 and 3 in Beileins system

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers