ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1501 » by Mecca » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:14 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:The new king of New York

FLYGOD BACK

https://music.apple.com/us/album/bautista/1471016947?i=1471016950

Imma be real it was ight. Disappointing a bit. I was feeling the Dreamville album more. Both are still great projects though.

It was a mixtape so I didn’t expect it to go crazy. Production is stupid though, alchemist, Pete rock and Madlib, sheesh. Smino and JID/Earthgang stole the show on Dreamville tbh
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1502 » by E-Balla » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:28 pm

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

FLYGOD BACK

Imma be real it was ight. Disappointing a bit. I was feeling the Dreamville album more. Both are still great projects though.

It was a mixtape so I didn’t expect it to go crazy. Production is stupid though, alchemist, Pete rock and Madlib, sheesh. Smino and JID/Earthgang stole the show on Dreamville tbh

Buddy? How you not gonna mention Buddy. Man not even Dreamville and might've been on the most songs along with JID.

Also I forgot if anyone ever posted it in here but Down Bad is so crazy to me. JID murders it and Bas follows up with a verse that might honestly be better.

My disappointment is obvious tho... LUTE didn't show. Man turned in two verses for this **** I'm heated. This man hates making music. Still had time to drop gems like "Pistol grips get to squeezing, wish a **** would like Liam Neeson. I don’t even need a reason, loyalty over treason" and a verse where he keeps the same rhyme scheme going the whole time (which is one of those things I love that not many dudes can do, Busta probably being the #1 all time).
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1503 » by Mecca » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Imma be real it was ight. Disappointing a bit. I was feeling the Dreamville album more. Both are still great projects though.

Buddy? How you not gonna mention Buddy. Man not even Dreamville and might've been on the most songs along with JID.

Also I forgot if anyone ever posted it in here but Down Bad is so crazy to me. JID murders it and Bas follows up with a verse that might honestly be better.

My disappointment is obvious tho... LUTE didn't show. Man turned in two verses for this **** I'm heated. This man hates making music. Still had time to drop gems like "Pistol grips get to squeezing, wish a **** would like Liam Neeson. I don’t even need a reason, loyalty over treason" and a verse where he keeps the same rhyme scheme going the whole time (which is one of those things I love that not many dudes can do, Busta probably being the #1 all time).

Forgot about the Buddy track, too many songs to process in a few hours. Buddy album top 5 of 2018. Dude got that dark soul lol

I 1000% agree w you on LUTE bc I really liked his last project and these verses were lame
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1504 » by E-Balla » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:53 pm

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Forgot about the Buddy track, too many songs to process in a few hours. Buddy album top 5 of 2018. Dude got that dark soul lol

I 1000% agree w you on LUTE bc I really liked his last project and these verses were lame

Well remember how they made this album (and the various projects that will undeniably come from that session). Tons of producers and artists in a single house with 4 booths jumping on whatever they overheard for 10 days. They said Buddy got 20 verses in his first 3 days. Doing something like that it makes sense why tons of the verses seemed like they were done in no time.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,859

Post#1505 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:42 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
E-Balla wrote:The single Bandana isn't on the album and would've been by far the worst song on the album if it was.

balla. you were right. the bandana song doesn't even belong on bandana. this record is fire. gibbs is in the zone all the way through. and he and madlib make a much better pairing than i expected. i'm thinking they need to just keep that going.

You never heard Pinata??????

That's the mixtape that made me a Gibbs fan.

Gibbs and Madlib are already a top 5 producer/emcee pairing in the game off 2 projects.

i actually haven't. will go back for that one. i've liked gibbs since i first started hearing about him in like 09. but i never followed his releases consistently.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1506 » by King of Canada » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:48 pm

New video by Halifax legend Classified. He's been at it since the early 90s. Mostly old school Halifax emcees in this one.

Also - going to see Common on Tuesday!

BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#1507 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1508 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:43 pm

listened to the first few cuts off that dreamville.

i had no idea da baby could go in like that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1509 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:47 pm

j4remi wrote:

i didn't realize there was new cool kids music being made.

anything alchemist is producing will work for me. :lol:

this is def darker than the childish super fun hypebeast stuff they were making a decade ago. this is more my speed. but i guess the tradeoff is they had more energy before. sound a little... washed-ish. hate to say it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1510 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

FLYGOD BACK

i REALLY liked FIAAG. and westside gunn's voice is usually too much for me to take. too shrill. but it was pretty good on this one, and i really felt how it all came together artistically.

but that could be because i'm wayyyyy deep in on the griselda wave as a whole. really liked plugs. excited for conway's debut full-length.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1511 » by King of Canada » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Common was great live. He performed for about 2 hours. Nice mix of stuff from all of his albums. He kicked a great freestyle to Come Close.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1512 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 pm

King of Canada wrote:New video by Halifax legend Classified. He's been at it since the early 90s. Mostly old school Halifax emcees in this one.

that was dope. :lol:

bubbles!

i really liked the pimp guy on the leadoff.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1513 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 pm

King of Canada wrote:Common was great live. He performed for about 2 hours. Nice mix of stuff from all of his albums. He kicked a great freestyle to Come Close.

he is a true showman. love that he still gives his all on stage. you can tell hip-hop is his truest love.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1514 » by King of Canada » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
King of Canada wrote:New video by Halifax legend Classified. He's been at it since the early 90s. Mostly old school Halifax emcees in this one.

bubbles!

Do you know Classified at all? If not I'll take you down a rabbit hole. Really nice guy and worked his ass off to make a career out of this. One of my best friends has been in his inner circle of artists since the 90s, so I've seen him really come up.
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1515 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 pm

King of Canada wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

bubbles!

Do you know Classified at all? If not I'll take you down a rabbit hole. Really nice guy and worked his ass off to make a career out of this. One of my best friends has been in his inner circle of artists since the 90s, so I've seen him really come up.

i know the name, but haven't ever heard any content. i have extensive BC hip-hop knowledge. know some guys from saskatchewan and alberta. knew the ontario guys before drake. never got up on the nova scotians. i would see classified's name thrown around on the nerd hop sites back in the day, but never got plugged in.

def all swordsmen there. respect.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1516 » by King of Canada » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

bubbles!

i know the name, but haven't ever heard any content. i have extensive BC hip-hop knowledge. know some guys from saskatchewan and alberta. knew the ontario guys before drake. never got up on the nova scotians. i would see classified's name thrown around on the nerd hop sites back in the day, but never got plugged in.

def all swordsmen there. respect.

I’ll post some stuff that’s worth a listen
BAF Pacers

Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,962

Post#1517 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Mecca
RealGM

Post#1518 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Mecca wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Imma be real it was ight. Disappointing a bit. I was feeling the Dreamville album more. Both are still great projects though.

i REALLY liked FIAAG. and westside gunn's voice is usually too much for me to take. too shrill. but it was pretty good on this one, and i really felt how it all came together artistically.

but that could be because i'm wayyyyy deep in on the griselda wave as a whole. really liked plugs. excited for conway's debut full-length.

Pete Sake & Gunnlib are FIRE
Brooklyn Nets
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,866

Post#1519 » by Context » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:29 pm

E-Balla wrote:So is hip hop back?

YOO!!!! I heard Dame and Bagley was battling and I laughed it off...I finally decided to enter this thread- started listening to
different things and -I said **** it let me hear this wack **** bagley did and - the **** fire! Bagley can flow...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1520 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 am

Context wrote:
E-Balla wrote:So is hip hop back?

YOO!!!! I heard Dame and Bagley was battling and I laughed it off...I finally decided to enter this thread- started listening to
different things and -I said **** it let me hear this wack **** bagley did and - the **** fire! Bagley can flow...

yooooooooooooooooooooooooo
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks