2019 Free Agency

Moderator: G R E Y

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Re: 2019 Free Agency 

Post#21 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:52 am

Russell to GSW???
Like I said, they still might be the most formidable team around.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,904

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:08 am

^ Plus a couple of other players, but they move Iggy, his book tell-all tour, a pick with three years of protections to get it done. They're younger, and even if they put the ball into Russell's hands, he'd have to become more of a facilitator in a way that fits their movement-oriented system. They'll maintain their run & gun with him, but when Klay returns, will he then be a 3? Just strange on a first look. They also take an asset away from West teams ie/Lakers, Wolves with whom he'd have fit very well. I still think they're way more vulnerable than they were before.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:15 pm

What?
Read on Twitter

By which I mean, hmm interesting, could set him straight, or could be a powder keg in the making. He's had a rep of being difficult to deal with, and with the injury it's all the more about risk / reward. I'm actually less concerned about on-court production than I am about fit - in the locker room, with Pop getting on him, with his temper, etc. It's not like we've signed him or anything, but we are looking for a back-up big, so we'll see how things turn out and with whom.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:55 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:By which I mean, hmm interesting, could set him straight, or could be a powder keg in the making. He's had a rep of being difficult to deal with, and with the injury it's all the more about risk / reward. I'm actually less concerned about on-court production than I am about fit - in the locker room, with Pop getting on him, with his temper, etc. It's not like we've signed him or anything, but we are looking for a back-up big, so we'll see how things turn out and with whom.

Definitely interesting. I'm more concerned about his extremely low basketball IQ than his attitude because I'm sure if there was even a thought about him signing here the team would make it clear about his actions. Also he has been around long enough to know what he would be getting in to here.

As far as on the floor if he can give us filler minutes and perhaps get a bucket or two in those small 2-6 minute timeframes when we usually cannot score to save our lives some nights he could help. I'm not sure his low bb IQ can ever be helped at this stage but I'm sure Pop wont put him in positions to blow games.

Also, as far as a cheap backup big goes... If all else fails I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Gasol back for the minimum. Or even Motiejunas. Or another guy who is a terrible defender but can definitely score and also suffers from low BB IQ, Greg Monroe
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:34 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:By which I mean, hmm interesting, could set him straight, or could be a powder keg in the making. He's had a rep of being difficult to deal with, and with the injury it's all the more about risk / reward. I'm actually less concerned about on-court production than I am about fit - in the locker room, with Pop getting on him, with his temper, etc. It's not like we've signed him or anything, but we are looking for a back-up big, so we'll see how things turn out and with whom.

Definitely interesting. I'm more concerned about his extremely low basketball IQ than his attitude because I'm sure if there was even a thought about him signing here the team would make it clear about his actions. Also he has been around long enough to know what he would be getting in to here.

As far as on the floor if he can give us filler minutes and perhaps get a bucket or two in those small 2-6 minute timeframes when we usually cannot score to save our lives some nights he could help. I'm not sure his low bb IQ can ever be helped at this stage but I'm sure Pop wont put him in positions to blow games.

Also, as far as a cheap backup big goes... If all else fails I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Gasol back for the minimum. Or even Motiejunas. Or another guy who is a terrible defender but can definitely score and also suffers from low BB IQ, Greg Monroe

I think he's a good passer, and would easily be a C with the biggest range; he can hit the 3, so that would give us some options of extending guys out of the paint. If Jakob starts, he's more of a traditional C. He said Spurs staff are with him working on post moves not just shooting, so we'll see how that's implemented. Whenever LMA is the C, well, we know his game, and the 3s are not a big part of it.

I never thought Boogie had low BBIQ just that he did things that took him off the court - these related more to his temper than his game, which can still be impactful in certain sets. As to that, he may know what we expect, but being able to keep his temper in check is another thing. I didn't really see it being a problem in GSW. Sometimes he'd express his emotions, but perhaps next to Dray he looked less aggressive or something. But Kerr is way more laid back than Pop during games, so it would be interesting to see how that would fit. Not every guy can take it and use it the right way. There's always the Stephen Jackson option lol

His defense isn't anything to glow about, especially P&R coverages, so that's an issue, but he does have a skill set that can be utilized. He may want a chance to showcase more of his game whereas we'd need him more as a third option, so not sure how that would work.

D-Mo I think (not 100% sure) has a contract overseas, and a hard no to Gasol - arrange a buy out to pay him more? Plus he was severely washed up before he had surgery on his foot that kept him out for the rest of the year. He wanted to leave because he was unhappy with lack of minutes but was fine towel waving on the Bucks because 'contenders' and suddenly ok with just being a good mentor to younger guys? Sure they went deeper, but it seemed like a bit of turnabout or double speak. Plus, again, severely washed up. Even with his attitude, Boogie is by far the most talent than any of those options, though I liked what D-Mo provided in his limited minutes - good role for him, accepted it without issues.

It seems we'd steer clear of drama-filled players, but we'll see how the spot is filled. We're at 15 players and it seems like half of the are guards so something has to give to balance it all out.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:50 pm

I just know what I see with my own two eyes watching Cousins play. He often doesn't know his assignments. Like you mentioned, he has huge problems with pick & roll defense. He makes very slow decisions. This play has always stuck in my mind about him, it is obvious what needs to happen, they need to defend against a three, but he is clueless and Rondo has to force him to do what he is supposed to and even then he looks unsure.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:58 pm

I think it was a mutual thing with Gasol. He wanted more minutes and we weren't going to give them. I'm guessing he is more realistic with what his role is in the league now. Like I said, I would only sign him for the minimum if that's possible and if he doesn't work out or we find something better, see ya!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#28 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:12 pm

imagump1313 wrote:I just know what I see with my own two eyes watching Cousins play. He often doesn't know his assignments. Like you mentioned, he has huge problems with pick & roll defense. He makes very slow decisions. This play has always stuck in my mind about him, it is obvious what needs to happen, they need to defend against a three, but he is clueless and Rondo has to force him to do what he is supposed to and even then he looks unsure.

Haha yeah I have no explanation for that. Brain fart? Poor preparation by staff or retention by him? I guess for a third string C, you live with certain deficiencies, and he'd never be out there in an end-of-game situation for us given his role. I like to think our staff would adequately prepare guys for set plays, too.

With his injury, it's hard to say whether his speed will get better. Rudy said the second year (last season) he felt a lot more like himself so this would fit with the timeline as to any improvements Boogie can make physically - shedding a bit of excess weight can only help. This is all to say that some issues to on-court play are physical. He may know what to do and want to do it but is unable to. I don't know. That video example did him no favours. But we would have to clear a roster spot for him so if we're bringing him on, it's not a small consideration of just finances and this is where it starts to get tricky and potentially costly in terms of roster moves.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:07 pm

So Boogie reportedly talked to DeMar, now has the same agent as LMA:
Read on Twitter

I'm attributing more causality here than there most likely is, but it's interesting that there seem to be some peripheral circles overlapping...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:59 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:So Boogie reportedly talked to DeMar, now has the same agent as LMA:
I'm attributing more causality here than there most likely is, but it's interesting that there seem to be some peripheral circles overlapping...

Yes, they have been talking about this on NBA radio a bit today. The general consensus is Cousins still hasn't accepted reality about his past actions and current situation and is blaming his old agent for not getting anyone to offer up big money.

I'm guessing he winds up with the Lakers(pretty much what everyone thinks)but it will be interesting.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#31 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:23 pm

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:So Boogie reportedly talked to DeMar, now has the same agent as LMA:

Yes, they have been talking about this on NBA radio a bit today. The general consensus is Cousins still hasn't accepted reality about his past actions and current situation and is blaming his old agent for not getting anyone to offer up big money.

I'm guessing he winds up with the Lakers(pretty much what everyone thinks)but it will be interesting.

Well, there's also this:
Read on Twitter

It was posted on the Boogie thread on the GB. Never heard of this guy, and there's the nebulous 'sources' so big grains of salt. There's word of the Heat as an option, too.

What a whirlwind since the Kings trade and then turning down that two-year offer from NOP and subsequent injury. In some ways his best days are not that far behind him, in others, the game has moved on faster than he anticipated so it's not too surprising he's chasing something while having a hard time believing he has to. But other than KD, has there been a huge deal for a post-Achilles injury player? I hope he finds a situation in which he can prove himself and get that bigger contract. If it's with us and he legit helps, great. It's in his best interest to just grind it out for another year and showcase himself.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#32 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:47 pm

I wouldn't mind Cousins at all.. I like his game overall, defensive concerns and limits aside. His shooting, passing, size around the rim is valuable, and wouldn't be a lead guy offensively. He'd make the team better and add a unique offensive dimension not really had since 2016 in Gasol. Cousins pure size around the paint defensively can be utilized with coaching and the right system...

I think he'd give the team an edge and wouldn't always have to be played (Poetl/Aldridge + Gay or Carroll at C/PF).. I think there'd be some short-term conflict between he and Pop here and there through out the year, but nothing that would force him out of the rotation and off the team. I'm sure Kerr and Pop would talk about him prior and/or after he'd hypothetically be taken on.

Also I think it helps that Rudy is around who he played with in Sac for multiple years, to guide him through the system, and some adaptation issues. Especially in the way of the notable injury, both have had, as well.

Cousins would come in handy against teams like Philly, Denver, Portland where the more size and talent the better.

If he can't get right here, then gets even tougher for him elsewhere. He also has his own well-being at hand to make good.

I'd say bring him in if possible, plus it'd create some "buzz", and a new way the media gets proven wrong again about the team being competitive and not a push-over (like the past 2 seasons).
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#33 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:52 pm

I think Cousins would be a great grab. He understood his role on our team. I think his bball IQ is actually ahead of his foot speed if that makes any sense. Like he knows the right play to make his body just doesn't allow him to do it in the most effective way possible. We saw it a lot last year, where he just could not do the things he was used to doing. A lot of missed shots around the rim where he would have dunked it in previous years, a lot of times he couldn't get to the cup as quickly, couldn't chase back on defense. He played good during the regular season, was getting his stamina and feet back but got injured to start the playoffs and limped to the finish line. But the Cousins in the regular season would have allowed us to steamroll the Raptors, he's still really good no doubt.

He is a bit of an emotional temper, but at least the guy puts it all out to win. He really is a lot like Draymond just in a much bigger body which works for and against him, but he seemed like a solid supportive teammate. Saw a lot of games where he just totally outplayed top centers like Jokic and Capela and neutralized them. Cousins is a big body, Jokic's push game did not work well against him. Capela is active on the boards but couldn't get past Cousins box outs.

I would take him in a heart beat, I think he is still testing the market. But the attitude issues are an overstatement, a lot of great teams had attitude guys like Green, Artest, Rodman.

The difference between this year and last year is health, year 2 after the Achilles is usually the better. He may bring more to the table, and be somewhere between last year and the all-star.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by imagump1313 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:20 pm

I still don't like his attitude and I'm afraid he will be injury prone the rest of his career. But I understand if he was still that good he wouldn't be available.

You guys both make good points. I'm on board with giving it a shot if we can get him super cheap.

If he does happen to sign with us It would be a roster spot taken from someone like Eubanks or Metu so if you ask me would I rather have Cousins or any combination of Eubanks or Metu then that makes a better argument.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by imagump1313 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:52 pm

Leonard/George to the Clippers is ok with me. It makes them a frontrunner in the West but I don't think a juggernaut.
They have a lot less depth than they had last year and I would trust Lou Williams in the playoffs more than I would trust George.

The best thing about this is that the Lakers look dumb yet again :lol:

Also:Nice to see the rest of the league is starting to realize that Leonard and his Uncle aren't as innocent as the media made them out to be. Something we knew already.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:43 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Leonard/George to the Clippers is ok with me. It makes them a frontrunner in the West but I don't think a juggernaut.
They have a lot less depth than they had last year and I would trust Lou Williams in the playoffs more than I would trust George.

The best thing about this is that the Lakers look dumb yet again :lol:

Also:Nice to see the rest of the league is starting to realize that Leonard and his Uncle aren't as innocent as the media made them out to be. Something we knew already.

Your Lakers love knows no bounds! :lol:

Yeah and very finally the great three-year build up with a finale that surprises exactly zero Spurs fans - ending up in LA - with a pattern of scheming behaviour in FA that is awfully familiar to those who've followed the reports for a year and a half or so. They've shown their true colours long ago, and it's such a relief to be free of it all and move forward. As John Schulian pointed out, "Class always tells."

We had a cup of coffee and Boogie is LAL bound. Ah well...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:49 pm

Spurs updates:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

And so:
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add more details about the trade:
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have acquired forward DeMarre Carroll from the Brooklyn Nets. In the three-team deal, San Antonio sends forward Davis Bertans to Washington and the draft rights to Nemanja Dangubic to Brooklyn, while the Wizards send the draft rights to Aaron White to the Nets.

Carroll will wear No. 77 for the Spurs.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-acquire-demarre-carroll
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Sorry to see Davis go, great team mate and will do whatever's asked of him. Low maintenance, resilient, and very coachable. Although he expanded some aspects of his game like driving more, when he's not hitting his 3s, he became a limited player as he was driven by quite a bit despite better defense, and was a surprisingly poor rebounder for his position.

We had a need for more defense and at 3, and now we get more toughness, doggedness, and 3/4 switchability. If losing Davis means gaining a stronger more versatile roster with Carroll and Morris, so be it.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#39 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:46 pm

Once again we acquire or sign a player no one foresaw. Here's a bit of stat info on Morris:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:18 pm

Not for nothing, and this isn't why the deal was done, but there is something of a poetic balance to Davis being moved today, which puts a finality to the whole saga.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs