How do the Jazz stack up against WC Contenders?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

How do the Jazz stack up against WC Contenders? 

Post#1 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:10 am

There's a lot of them, let's discuss.

Los Angeles Clippers
C Montrezl Harrell
F Kawhi Leonard
F Paul George
G Lou Williams
G Patrick Beverly

Key Reserves: Moe Harkless, Landry Shamet, Ivica Zubac, Rodney McGruder

Los Angeles Lakers
C Anthony Davis
F Kyle Kuzma
F LeBron James
G Danny Green
G Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Key Reserves: TBD

Golden State Warriors

C Kevon Looney
F Draymond Green
F Klay Thompson
G D'Angelo Russell
G Stephen Curry

Key Reserves: Willie Cauley-Stein, Glen Robinson III

Houston Rockets

C Clint Capela
F PJ Tucker
F Eric Gordon
G James Harden
G Chris Paul

Key Reserves: Austin Rivers, Danuel House

Denver Nuggets

C Nikola Jokic
F Paul Millsap
F Will Barton
G Garry Harris
G Jamal Murray

Key Reserves: Mason Plumlee, Malik Beasley, Torrey Craig, Monte Morris

Portland Trailblazers

C Hassan Whiteside
F Rodney Hood
F Kent Bazemore
G CJ McCollum
G Damian Lillard

Key Reserves: Zach Collins, Anfernee Simons
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: How do the Jazz stack up against WC Contenders? 

Post#2 » by sipclip » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:16 am

I think we are between 4th and 6th in the west. I have the nugs, Lakers, and Clippers in front of us. The. Houston and the blazers right with us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:17 am

Quick 1 AM thoughts:

LAC - Very tough team, no good C however and that will made defense difficult no matter who they have on the perimeter. Lot of eggs in the Kawhi/PG basket. If one gets hurt or slows down they are screwed. Nothing in particular that's stylistically difficult for UTA.

LAL - Worse version of Clippers, but perhaps better stars. Drama infused team without depth. Don't think they will win that many regular season games but LeBron is a different animal in the playoffs.

GSW - Think Russell helps them get more RS wins, but Iggy was more valuable in a playoff series. Russell will be too their detriment in the PO's if he takes away shots from Curry. Klay still a big question mark. Wide variance...don't think the matchup is that bad because they only have 3 shooters.

HOU - Worst stylistic matchup in the league, but maybe that changes with upgrades to Jazz roster. Feel confident that third time will be a charm in this series.

DEN - Could take the number one seed in the RS, easy victory in a series. The easiest matchup the Jazz can ask for in a playoff series.

POR - Think they got worse, not worried about them...but listed them because their status is somewhat ambiguous.

I think the Jazz take a top 4 seed and then it will depend on matchups. POR and DEN are easy matchups, I'd put us as heavy favorites. HOU and GSW I'm going to call a heads up matchup. So much variability with those two teams with their drama and injuries respectively. LAL and LAC I'd say the Jazz are slight underdogs in a PO series, but nowhere near where it was with the KD Warriors.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#4 » by Lava Rock Kid » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:20 am

It all depends on health. The west top six is a coin flip. Who can stay healthy gets top seed.
My 10 assuming health
Clippers. - defense gods
Utah -
Denver
Lakers
Houston
Portland
Gs
Spurs
Kings
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#5 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:22 am

Depends on what they Lakers can do with their cap space.

They've added Danny Green 2/30 and JaVale McGee 2/8.2. I think they have 8 left, then vet minimums.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:25 am

The seeding is going to be crazy. I'm not sure the LA teams can load manage their way through the year. They're going to need their superstars just to get into the playoffs.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#7 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:26 am

I think the Clippers are as good as the 2016 Warriors. Not going to win 73 games, but talent wise I think they are comparable.

They have 2 top 10 players that are MVP/DPOY worthy. They are going to smother perimeter players. George and Leonard and Beverly will be a nightmare defensively. No guard/wing will score effectively against them. Not to mention they have the 6MOY as well. They are deep. Their 5 spot is their only weakness, but they are really good. That George trade changed everything.

I think they are on an elite level and everyone else is a clear step down.

As for the Lakers, it really depends on what depth they can sign. They also have 2 top 10 players who are MVP level. I think if they have a good starting 5, they just need to make it to the playoffs, and be healthy, and all bets are off as far as what they can do.

I think both LA teams are clearly ahead of us, Clippers being much, much further ahead. I think the Jazz are comparable to everyone else in the league though.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#8 » by sipclip » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:34 am

KqWIN wrote:Quick 1 AM thoughts:

LAC - Very tough team, no good C however and that will made defense difficult no matter who they have on the perimeter. Lot of eggs in the Kawhi/PG basket. If one gets hurt or slows down they are screwed. Nothing in particular that's stylistically difficult for UTA.

LAL - Worse version of Clippers, but perhaps better stars. Drama infused team without depth. Don't think they will win that many regular season games but LeBron is a different animal in the playoffs.

GSW - Think Russell helps them get more RS wins, but Iggy was more valuable in a playoff series. Russell will be too their detriment in the PO's if he takes away shots from Curry. Klay still a big question mark. Wide variance...don't think the matchup is that bad because they only have 3 shooters.

HOU - Worst stylistic matchup in the league, but maybe that changes with upgrades to Jazz roster. Feel confident that third time will be a charm in this series.

DEN - Could take the number one seed in the RS, easy victory in a series. The easiest matchup the Jazz can ask for in a playoff series.

POR - Think they got worse, not worried about them...but listed them because their status is somewhat ambiguous.

I think the Jazz take a top 4 seed and then it will depend on matchups. POR and DEN are easy matchups, I'd put us as heavy favorites. HOU and GSW I'm going to call a heads up matchup. So much variability with those two teams with their drama and injuries respectively. LAL and LAC I'd say the Jazz are slight underdogs in a PO series, but nowhere near where it was with the KD Warriors.
I have no clue why you think the nugs and blazers would be pushovers. They are both really good basketball teams.

KqWIN
RealGM

Post#9 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:34 am

I don't know what to think about LAC in a playoff series. Kawhi, PG, and Beverley are rock solid. There's no leakage there. But the other guys...idk about them in a series. Lou is historically not great in the playoffs, and his scoring is not going to be as important with Kawhi and PG taking the lead. Harrell is going to get crushed on defense, as is Lou and Shamet. If you think our defensive issues are a problem, those guys are much worse. Harkless can defend but can't shoot. McGruder is their only other two way player.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:40 am

sipclip wrote:I have no clue why you think the nugs and blazers would be pushovers. They are both really good basketball teams.

DEN could be the #1 seed, but we should roll them in a playoff series. Their trapping PnR coverage would get smoked against us. Offensively they are great, but we have Gobert to matchup with Jokic and Murray is their only off the dribble shooter in PnR. He'd need to be amazing for them to even have a chance. No team plays into our hands more than DEN.

POR, I think they got worse and I'm totally unsure about their frontcourt. Not a believer in Whiteside and think he would get annihilated in the playoffs. Collins will likely become the preferred C in crunchtime, but he fouls out in 20 minutes anyways. Their forward line is a hodge podge of bad to mediocre players, Hood being the standout. They're a fine team, just don't think they measure up with the rest. They're closer to SAS and the new playoff contenders in my mind.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:43 am

If the Clippers are healthy they are the only team that is better than us on paper in the West. Clippers, Jazz, Philly, Milwaukee are the teams most likely to make the finals.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#12 » by @ndrew » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:12 am

I don't really like forecasts like that because a lot can change throughout the season, but I can say that this season is going to be FUN! It was long time ago I was that excited about NBA.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:25 am

2nd round exit.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#14 » by KDBG » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:30 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:2nd round exit.

You cynical bastard... lmao
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#15 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:36 am

I think people massively underestimate GSW. They are still among the contenders if they can stay healthy and Klay returns by playoff time.

I think we are underdogs against HOU, LAC and GSW. But I think we have a shot against all of them. I like our chances against every other team in the conference.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#16 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:41 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:2nd round exit.

Yup. I'm with you.

Unless somebody is a MVP level player for the Jazz, it'll be more of the same this year.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:11 pm

"2nd Round Exit" is a lame non-answer. It says very little about how we stack up against the other teams. If we lost a few more games during the regular season last year, we probably would have made it past the second round.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#18 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:12 pm

Jeez so much doom and gloom, I think we are easily a Finals contender still because of depth. The clips don’t have our depth or the scorers that we do. Donnie will likely be a 25-26 PPG scorer, Rudy is probably 16-17, Conley will probably be 20, and Bogey will likely add 19 PPG, clips can’t match that.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#19 » by KqWIN » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:13 pm

stitches wrote:I think people massively underestimate GSW. They are still among the contenders if they can stay healthy and Klay returns by playoff time.

I think we are underdogs against HOU, LAC and GSW. But I think we have a shot against all of them. I like our chances against every other team in the conference.

I think they lost a ton of playoff juice with Igoudala. There's no doubt in my mind that I would rather have him in that lineup than Russell in a 7 game series...but you're right, they are being underrated. Curry is my favorite to win MVP as of right now.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#20 » by JazzyPhinz » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:16 pm

GobertReport wrote:Jeez so much doom and gloom, I think we are easily a Finals contender still because of depth. The clips don’t have our depth or the scorers that we do. Donnie will likely be a 25-26 PPG scorer, Rudy is probably 16-17, Conley will probably be 20, and Bogey will likely add 19 PPG, clips can’t match that.
Conley and bogey got those points from being the focal point on their teams last yr. We aren't going to avg 80 pts from 4 starters on this squad.

Return to Utah Jazz