ImageImageImage

Trade for Westbrook?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Trade for Westbrook? 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:41 pm

This is a mirror of Kilo's Blake to OKC thread.

Most of the offers for Westbrook on the T&T board are pretty underwhelming.

Jackson, Snell, and Galloway roughly work salary-wise. Maybe toss in a Drummond for Adams swap.

Then it becomes a question of what kind of incentive we need to add? Sekou? Picks?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Re: Trade for Westbrook? 

Post#2 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:57 pm

Well if you believe wiretap that they tried to trade George and even Westbrook to Toronto for Siakam and were rebuffed, I think Westbrook could be available and OKC is in a teardown.

Our best offer would be Kennard, 2-3 FRP's and then Reggie and Galloway as salary ballasts. Not sure that is enough. I'm crazy as hell right now but I wouldn't include Sekou Doumbouya.

On an aside I think Masai is lining up to bid for Giannis in two years now - his white whale. Lowry, Ibaka expire after this season, they tank out next year and then have max space for Giannis UFA offer.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#3 » by mattao313 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:01 pm

Reggie, snell , Sekou + unprotected 1st
Championships
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#4 » by The Moose » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:04 pm

I could see us offering something like

Reggie, Langston, Kennard, 2 1st round picks

2 expiring contracts, a young prospect and 2 1st round picks. I think that would easily be enough
Kilo
RealGM

Post#5 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:04 pm

It almost certainly costs us Kennard and Doumbouya and 2 FRP's - Do you do that?

(Jackson/Galloway/Kennard/Doumbouya/2020 FRP/2022 FRP for Westbrook)

Westbrook|Rose|Frazier
Brown|Thomas
Snell|Svi
Griffin|Morris|
Drummond|Maker
Weaver = Hinkie
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#6 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:09 pm

Kilo wrote:It almost certainly costs us Kennard and Doumbouya and 2 FRP's - Do you do that?

(Jackson/Galloway/Kennard/Doumbouya/2020 FRP/2022 FRP for Westbrook)

Westbrook|Rose|Frazier
Brown|Thomas
Snell|Svi
Griffin|Morris|
Drummond|Maker

That is a huge overpay. No way we give up both Kennard and Sekou. If it were for George than yeah but Westbrook's value is lower than ever.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:11 pm

It pains me to say that Russ just isn’t worth anything close to his salary. Pains me because I really like(d) him as a player and was one of his last defenders.

He’s flashy and a big name but he’ll never be the star of a contending team. The playoffs this year was a final thesis on that. I’d be really upset if we gave up a lot of future assets for him. We’d be a worse version of the Thunder from last year. Russ plus bad shooting is a bad look.

And I feel for Russ. I really do. It’s just not a good idea. That deal tops 40 million the year after next and stays there until a year after Blake expires.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#8 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:14 pm

I was actually posting Westbrook trade ideas a few months ago or so and people were saying it wasn't realistic and there's no way OKC is trading Westbrook. Looks like I called this one.

Jackson, Galloway, Maker, Doumbouya, 2020 FRP, 2021 LAL SRP.

Westbrook/Rose
Kennard/Thomas
Snell/Brown/Mykhailiuk
Griffin/Morris
Drummond

Definitely lacking depth but at least we have 2 40% 3pt shooters to spread the floor in the starting lineup. Rose can play some SG, Kennard can play some SF, and Morris can play some C.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#9 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:15 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:I was actually posting Westbrook trade ideas a few months ago or so and people were saying it wasn't realistic and there's no way OKC is trading Westbrook. Looks like I called this one.

Westbrook/Rose
Kennard/Thomas
Snell/Brown/Mykhailiuk
Griffin/Morris
Drummond

Definitely lacking depth but at least we have 2 40% 3pt shooters to spread the floor in the starting lineup. Rose can play some SG, Kennard can play some SF, and Morris can play some C.

I'd rather trade Kennard than Doumbouya.
Weaver = Hinkie
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#10 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:18 pm

Kilo wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:I was actually posting Westbrook trade ideas a few months ago or so and people were saying it wasn't realistic and there's no way OKC is trading Westbrook. Looks like I called this one.

Westbrook/Rose
Kennard/Thomas
Snell/Brown/Mykhailiuk
Griffin/Morris
Drummond

If we trade for Westbrook then we desperately need Kennard and his shooting. He is also far more ready. Doumbouya isn't even going to be a real contributor for a couple years probably.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:20 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
Kilo wrote:

Westbrook/Rose
Kennard/Thomas
Snell/Brown/Mykhailiuk
Griffin/Morris
Drummond

If we trade for Westbrook then we desperately need Kennard and his shooting. He is also far more ready. Doumbouya isn't even going to be a real contributor for a couple years probably.

This is why the trade doesn't make sense to me, we have zero shooters, and it's going to take at least Kennard or Sekou or maybe both without giving up picks for WB. WB, Drummond, and Blake as a core with basically no shooters is a 1st round exit at best. Which...is what happened to OKC this year. So we run that back...? Why?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:23 pm

I'll take him
Kilo
RealGM

Post#13 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:23 pm

Khyri Thomas, Svi Mykhailiuk can be our shooters. Galloway as well if we include Maker instead of Langston. We just would need decoys with Russell, Blake and Dre.

But Russell and Dre would clash over who gets to get the rebounds here. Russell's personal triple double quest rubbed PG13 the wrong way as there was reportedly friction between Westbrook and George.
Weaver = Hinkie
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#14 » by DetroitPistons » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:23 pm

DBC10 wrote:This is why the trade doesn't make sense to me, we have zero shooters, and it's going to take at least Kennard or Sekou or maybe both without giving up picks for WB. WB, Drummond, and Blake as a core with basically no shooters is a 1st round exit at best. Which...is what happened to OKC this year. So we run that back...? Why?

That's why we include picks... My proposal included Sekou and picks. Also, we are a very different team then OKC. completely different supporting cast and head coach and we are in the east, which has taken a step back.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 733

Post#15 » by A_dub06 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:31 pm

Could not think of anything worse, Westbrook is a proven selfish loser. We might raise our ceiling to 3rd or 4th in the east but for what? A 2nd round exit? It should be championships that we aim for, they are the real prize, not winning a couple of playoff games.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:35 pm

To further expand, Russ has now driven off 2 stars from his team.

He’s incredibly talented but he stat-pads and takes ill advised shots. Last year I remember a game with OKC where we were going to lose until Westbrook shot his team out of the game.

I’m not sure there’s been a player more disappointing that Russ in recent memory. And as someone who once considered him my favorite non-Piston player, I don’t like saying that. But the facts support it.

I feel like I’m in the minority here. But that’s never stopped me before.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#17 » by Piston Pete » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:38 pm

Sekou, Bone, Khyri Thomas, future 1st rounder, Reggie, Galloway, Snell

For

Westbrook

Westbrook / Rose
Kennard / Brown
Svi / Sirvydis / King
Blake / Morris
Drummond / Maker
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:40 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Sekou, Bone, Khyri Thomas, future 1st rounder, Reggie, Galloway, Snell

For

Westbrook

Westbrook / Rose
Kennard / Brown
Svi / Sirvydis / King
Blake / Morris
Drummond / Maker

I think I just vomited a little.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,543

Post#19 » by pistonsbball » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:40 pm

He plays hard at least and is still one of the better playmakers in the league. Would love to pair him with Sekou as he develops. I don't think we're winning a title or signing a big name in the next 4 yrs anyway. Russ would expire at the same time as Sekou's rookie deal, so if he became a superstar you'd have a chance to sign someone then.

Russ, DRose and Blake would be fun.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#20 » by DBC10 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:40 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
DBC10 wrote:This is why the trade doesn't make sense to me, we have zero shooters, and it's going to take at least Kennard or Sekou or maybe both without giving up picks for WB. WB, Drummond, and Blake as a core with basically no shooters is a 1st round exit at best. Which...is what happened to OKC this year. So we run that back...? Why?

That's why we include picks... My proposal included Sekou and picks. Also, we are a very different team then OKC. completely different supporting cast and head coach and we are in the east, which has taken a step back.

I just don't see us giving up Sekou yet, he's become this insurance policy for the front office in case everything goes wrong and we need to rebuild.

Also, as much as your trade is good, I don't see WB as that type of player anymore. He's just really taken a step back last year with his erratic shooting. Triple doubles are good, but how good are they if they end up just bouncing you out the 1st round?

He takes rhythm out of his own teammates for triple doubles and his dumb full shot clock 3 pointers drove PG and KD out of town. He's not a great playoff player at all.

Return to Detroit Pistons