ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1081 » by JayClips92 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 am

If we're trying to dump Gallo's salary ...

Bucks get - Gallo

Clips get - George Hill (2019 $1 million guaranteed, full if not waived on or before 7/2/19) and Protected 2022 1st Round Pick
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#1082 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:46 pm

JayClips92 wrote:If we're trying to dump Gallo's salary ...

Bucks get - Gallo

Clips get - George Hill (2019 $1 million guaranteed, full if not waived on or before 7/2/19) and Protected 2022 1st Round Pick

I'll take DJ Wilson instead of the 2022 FRP if the Bucks won't use Wilson.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,937

Post#1083 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Hmm... Should the Clips just try and trade their vets to get into the draft? Add another young, talented player to play with Shai, Shamet, and Robinson. Then, round out the roster with some vet players. And, try again next year for a superstar.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#1084 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 pm

JayClips92 wrote:If we're trying to dump Gallo's salary ...

Bucks get - Gallo

Would be nice IF we have someone locked up with Kawhi, but Bucks arent going that route, according to reporting. They are opening space to re-sign Lopez and then hit Middleton and Brogdon.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#1085 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:10 am

Hey guys was hoping to get some insight on Garrett Temple. He looks to be a key addition for the Nets bench at SF. What can we expect from him? Any scouting report would be appreciated.

Good luck on Kawhi. I'm rooting for you guys.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1086 » by QRich3 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:30 am

Rockice_24 wrote:Hey guys was hoping to get some insight on Garrett Temple. He looks to be a key addition for the Nets bench at SF. What can we expect from him? Any scouting report would be appreciated.

Decent wing defender, decent (slightly below average) shooter, can't do much else: handle the ball, pass, attack close-outs, you can't ask him for any of that. Bench player that knows his place and rounds out the rotation at a position where even that much is not easy to find.

Basically, good for what you're paying, but nothing special. Harris and Levert should definitely start over him, probably Prince too. Although depending on the match up (if you don't need length as much) he might end games here and there over Prince, unless Prince steps up his defense. As soon as Durant is back, and with Musa and Kurucs getting comfortable in the league, he's a bench player worth 10-15 minutes at most.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,047

It'd Take A Miracle 

Post#1087 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter

That's gone now...

Read on Twitter

Mexican basketball players are extremely rare in the NBA. Last known one was Eduardo Najera, made a conference finals appearance with the Mavericks. Joining the Mavs, Ayon would have reunited with Real Madrid teammate Luka Doncic. The dream is dead.

Ayon will most likely return to Europe now. If he wants an NBA contract, he'll have to impress through training camp, preseason, the G-League or as a 10-day contract.

Side note: Clippers were interested in him, too.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#1088 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:32 pm

QRich3 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:Hey guys was hoping to get some insight on Garrett Temple. He looks to be a key addition for the Nets bench at SF. What can we expect from him? Any scouting report would be appreciated.

Decent wing defender, decent (slightly below average) shooter, can't do much else: handle the ball, pass, attack close-outs, you can't ask him for any of that. Bench player that knows his place and rounds out the rotation at a position where even that much is not easy to find.

Basically, good for what you're paying, but nothing special. Harris and Levert should definitely start over him, probably Prince too. Although depending on the match up (if you don't need length as much) he might end games here and there over Prince, unless Prince steps up his defense. As soon as Durant is back, and with Musa and Kurucs getting comfortable in the league, he's a bench player worth 10-15 minutes at most.

First, thanks for the props. Appreciated.

QRich3 covered everything well (as usual). I'll add a couple of things--Temple has only played about half his minutes at the SF position in the last few years (46% of court time since 2015). But he has adjusted to that fairly well—he’s short for that position, but has a good wingspan--which is important since most of his value is on D. Temple just isn't a scorer, so don't expect that. Good character guy. He’s typical of the players that were relatively successful for us last year; smart, unimpressive physical gifts/ability, but plays within his skillset. One other thing ... He’s much more of a catch and shoot guy from behind the line; I think he was better suited to the Grizz slower pace than ours, which may account for his poorer three point shooting with us. Tbh, he's a borderline starter/6th man for a 30 win team--but probably more like a 9th man on a playoff team. If you use him properly—as a 20 mpg mid-rotation player that’s primarily going against other non-starters—he’ll be (much) more effective.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#1089 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:50 am

How will the rotation look like? Could we see George or Leonard spend a decent amount of time as a PF?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1090 » by No-Man » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:46 pm

How much capspace you guys got still? I think keeping Green and Zubac and adding a small ball Center like Khem Birch would be key

You might have enough for that and Marcus Morris
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#1091 » by agkagk » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:22 pm

Fischella wrote:How much capspace you guys got still? I think keeping Green and Zubac and adding a small ball Center like Khem Birch would be key

You might have enough for that and Marcus Morris

Ya for the uninitiated, can someone post the clip’s rotation plz

Is Harrell your starting 5? Is Kawhi going to man the 4?
Clips appear to have around 9 million to spend, is it safe to say they are looking for a stretch 4?

From the outside looking in, the clippers might be the best example of positionaless basketball moving forward.

It looks like Paul George could see regular minutes at 3 positions.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1092 » by QRich3 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:45 pm

We don't have any capspace left, the George trade leaves us a bit over the cap, and with Beverley and McGruder's extensions, we are a few millions more over. What we do have is Zubac's bird rights and the room exception which is $4.7M in the first year, for at most two years. I hope JaMychal accepts that, cause he'd round the rotation very nicely.

I'd put the rotation something like this:

Beverly/Lou Will
Shamet/McGruder/Robinson
George/Harkless/Thornwell
Leonard/JaMychal?
Zubac?/Harrell/Kabangele

With Mann as a two-way contract? Lou is the de facto back up PG anyway so you might just roll with him, Trez, and wings. I'd get some minimum third PG like Jarred Bayless or something like that, just in case. I'm ok with our big man rotation being just like that and I want Sham starting, not Harkless. He's an awesome offensive fit.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#1093 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:05 pm

previous rotations are reasonable and sound, but why not have a little fun with it while at it?

all defensive starting 5 plus 4 top rotational players

Pat Bev
Sindarius ( this era's version of Quinton Ross. this guy can start on his D alone, as long as we don't need any offense from him)
Kawhi
PG13
Zubac
+
Sweet Lue
Montrezz
Mo
Shamet

or all offensive starting 5 plus 4 top rotational players

Pat Bev
Shamet
Kawhi
PG13
Zubac
+
Sweet Lue
Montrezz
Mo
Rodney

if we don't start Q Ross v. 2.0, he has little value on the bench. having Kawhi and PG13 together should allow us to sneak in a all D and no shot SG like our Sindi in there a la MIke D Sr style.

just having fun, guys. take it easy. 8-)
ehhhhh f it.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#1094 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:31 pm

QRich3 wrote:We don't have any capspace left, the George trade leaves us a bit over the cap, and with Beverley and McGruder's extensions, we are a few millions more over. What we do have is Zubac's bird rights and the room exception which is $4.7M in the first year, for at most two years. I hope JaMychal accepts that, cause he'd round the rotation very nicely.

I'd put the rotation something like this:

Beverly/Lou Will
Shamet/McGruder/Robinson
George/Harkless/Thornwell
Leonard/JaMychal?
Zubac?/Harrell/Kabangele

With Mann as a two-way contract? Lou is the de facto back up PG anyway so you might just roll with him, Trez, and wings. I'd get some minimum third PG like Jarred Bayless or something like that, just in case. I'm ok with our big man rotation being just like that and I want Sham starting, not Harkless. He's an awesome offensive fit.

I agree about Sham starting--and Harkless becomes a load management starter for George and KAwhi, and a 20-25 mpg guy in other games, so that works out. Now that Zu is signed, I'd love it if JaMychal would stay for the room exception, but I doubt that will happen. If it does--great. But I think we may be looking at guys like Dragan Bender or Jonas Jerebko or Cheick Diallo or Khem Birch. Pair one of those guys with a vet minimum guy like Luol Deng or Joakim Noah and I think we'd be good to go. (Maybe a vet. min. PG as our 14th/15th man as well.)

Starting Lineup

Beverly
Shamet
George
Leonard
Zubac

High Rotation:
Trezz
Lou
Harkless
McGruder/Rome
Diallo

Low Rotation:
Kabengele
McGruder/Rome
Deng

Bench
Thornwell
Mann
Vet min. PG(?)
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#1095 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:37 pm

Do we care who is at the 4 between George and Leonard or they're interchangeable in that regard?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#1096 » by Vae Victus » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:12 pm

I'd say go get Lin for whats left of the cap of like 3mil, to be backup PG. He's a good soldier, good lockerroom guy, played on plenty of playoff teams, familiar with key players (Kawhi and PatBev), should be better after being a year removed from his horrid injury. Is comfortable starting if the team also load manages PatBev (which they should, to keep him fresh), where i'd have Shamet play backup PG mins. Shamet should be developed as a 3D PG, since most of the facilitating during crunch time will be done by the superstar SFs.

Lin's a great buy low candidate, hungry for a structured role after being bounced around for years. Also will be an LA fan favorite for Asian fans, which wont hurt merch sales.

Delon Wright and Trey Burke are younger and have higher upside, but i think they're priced out of what the Clippers have left to give (3mil cap space and Room Exception).

With the Room Exception, go hard after JaMychal Green and Marcus Morris. Both are SF/PF tweeners, which will allow both Kawhi and PG13 to be load managed more effectively as they can start in a pinch at PF while the superstar starts at SF. Also go sign some old C to be 3rd string in case Kabengele cant give decent spot mins.

Full strength Lineup
C - Zubac, Harrell, Kabengele
PF- PG13, Jamychal Green or Marcus Morris, Mann
SF- Kawhi, Harkless, MacGruder
SG- Shamet, Lou Will, JRobinson
PG- PatBev, Lin

Load management Scheme
C- Zubac
PF- JaMychal Green or Marcus Morros
SF- Kawhi or PG13
SG- JRobinson
PG- Lin

IMHO, PG13, Kawhi, PatBev should not be playing more than 65 games a year, since the above team will have the depth to sit them all and not lose too much effectiveness.

Edit: Damnit while i was typing up this post, Marcus Morris signed with Spurs for 2 years 20mil 2nd year team option

Crap, JaMychal Green is prolly priced out of Room Exception range.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1097 » by QRich3 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:53 pm

JaMychal Green's options keep shrinking though. At the moment, only two teams left with significant capspace to give him a salary over the room exception: Dallas and Atlanta. Only other 4 teams with their full non-taxpayer MLE too: Charlotte, Denver, Memphis and Toronto. It's either one of those six teams giving him an offer or he's coming back imo.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#1098 » by SportsFan215 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:55 pm

One free agent that nobody talks/knows about is Anzejs Pasecniks who was a Sixers 2017 1st round pick and they recently had to renounce his draft rights to make cap space for Horford. He was rumored to be interested in coming to the NBA this year and had just signed with the Wizards Summer League roster.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#1099 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:20 am

Lin would be a decent pickup—but we should definitely offer him the vet minimum. He’s going into his 10th year, so he’d get $2.56 million. And we’d only take a cap hit of $1.62 million. (We should get Luol Deng on the same contract, IMO.) Better deal. Lin looked pretty lost with Toronto, though.

Crossing my fingers about JaMychal Green. Still thinking we probably can't/won’t get him . It might worth taking a flyer on Bender. I don’t think he was well coached on the Suns last year. (I don’t think *anyone* was well coached on the Suns last year.) He played well after the break. Plenty of talent/skills; still only 21. Don’t know if we want the risk, though—or if we could get him.
Dunken Dave
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1100 » by Dunken Dave » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:13 pm

We can still use a veteran big man banger type like Joaquin Noah and a pg. I wouldn't mind one of those jitterbug pg. Shabazz Napier could be a good fit for us. Adding some versatility and depth to the roster will be very important.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers