Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Re: NBA Free Agency / Trade Thread 

Post#461 » by enderwilson » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:32 pm

codydaze wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:BTW, if Kawhi stays in Toronto - I think our playoff chances go up quite a bit... fingers crossed.

Unless he goes to the Clippers there probably won't be much of a difference in our playoff odds.

Well, damn...

I see 7 guaranteed playoff spots now.

LAC
UTA
DEN
LAL
HOU
POR
GS

Fighting with SA, OKC, DAL and MIN at this point.

I feel confident we can compete with that bottom four as well as some of those others.

•I don't know what DAL is going to look like with Porzingis. There's so many question marks there. How well will he return from injury? Will he and Luka play well together? etc.? They added Seth Curry, but defensive strategy will always be designed on countering Luka. Limit him, you cut the team off at it's knees.
•We've always competed well against OKC and now they just lost PG.
•SA will still be tough because, well, Pop. But they have been on a slow decline for years and they've made no improvements to their roster in FA.
•MIN is still MIN.

As for the 5-7, if these are guaranteed, I still think we could compete with them.
•HOU has been a challenge for us, but they haven't made significant moves to improve FA. So essentially they're another year older with geezers like Nene and CP3. They still have Harden, but the clock is ticking and old man time is knocking on the door. Can he carry the team another year? Last year it took him half the season to "turn it on". I think with the West landscape looking like it does, it would be very demoralizing for one guy to continuously carry the weight of the franchise into the playoffs and get rebuffed. Now it's got to look even more depressing. I see an opening there.
•GS No Durant. No Thompson next year. I have no idea how Russell is going to fit next to Curry. Basically ???s all over the place, but seeing our I80 rivals take such a tumble talent-wise means I think we can pounce.
•POR Will still be an issue. They're likely still better than us. They've added Hassan who can be an immense talent if he plays with his head on straight. FA for them means at the very least they haven't gotten any worse than last year.

There's my glass is half-full perspective...
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#462 » by Lost in LA » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:48 pm

I am not convinced the Lakers will be that good, especially in the regular season. 2 injury prone stars, probably not playing back to backs, Kuzmic and little else. LeBron's best days are behind him.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,996

Post#463 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:22 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
codydaze wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:
Unless he goes to the Clippers there probably won't be much of a difference in our playoff odds.

Well, damn...

I see 7 guaranteed playoff spots now.

LAC
UTA
DEN
LAL
HOU
POR
GS

Fighting with SA, OKC, DAL and MIN at this point.

sigh...

Okay - so now picking up Iguodala might have made a difference... you can't be a very good GM - you have to be great just to make the playoffs? wow.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#464 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:32 pm

enderwilson wrote:I feel confident we can compete with that bottom four as well as some of those others.

Violently agreed. And really it is about the growth of Fox and Bagley. If they make that huge jump - then we are in...
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#465 » by Call Me Geoff » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:51 pm

2020 Western Confrrence Playoffs, my prediction:

LAC
Utah
Lakers
Denver
Houston
Sacramento
Golden State
Portland

It’s gonna be fun..
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#466 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:59 pm

With the West as it is, we could’ve rebuilt for two more years with top picks the way the new draft is. Our core, minus Barnes, or even including him could have been on inexscapable deals. But I guess that’s bad for culture to shoot for that
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#467 » by enderwilson » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:With the West as it is, we could’ve rebuilt for two more years with top picks the way the new draft is. Our core, minus Barnes, or even including him could have been on inexscapable deals. But I guess that’s bad for culture to shoot for that

We should feel really fortunate to have gotten to this position when we did. From cellar dwellers to on the verge of kicking in the door to the playoffs in a few years, RIGHT when the lottery's new format kicked in to de incentivize tanking. Because our outlook not looking like such a shi*show we're now able convince quality FA's to sign here.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#468 » by bleeds_purple » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:35 pm

Feels like it comes down to Kings, Spurs, and Pels for the final spot. It's frustrating being in the West but I favor us out of those three.
Call Me Geoff
Junior
And1: 68

Post#469 » by Call Me Geoff » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:30 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:Feels like it comes down to Kings, Spurs, and Pels for the final spot. It's frustrating being in the West but I favor us out of those three.

I don’t see GS or Portland as locks. I could see the Kings finishing with a better record than both those teams. To me the Pels aren’t close to competing yet and the Spurs are pretenders.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#470 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:16 pm

Call Me Geoff wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:Feels like it comes down to Kings, Spurs, and Pels for the final spot. It's frustrating being in the West but I favor us out of those three.

I don’t see GS or Portland as locks. I could see the Kings finishing with a better record than both those teams. To me the Pels aren’t close to competing yet and the Spurs are pretenders.

I expect Draymond to have his best regular season in years being that he's in a contract year and will be in **** you mode with Durant leaving. Everyone is gonna be sleeping on GS but I have them as one of the three teams (along with the LA teams) with a realistic chance to make it out of the West.

Portland I can't see missing the playoffs. They got better from last year. Collins is gonna be better.

Spurs everyone wants to write them off every year but they improved from last year. Murray coming back is big for them. Morris is a really nice addition to the roster. They will be in the mix.

Pelicans a lot depends on Zion. If he's the real deal then they can easily make the playoffs. They have a nice mix of young guys and veterans.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#471 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm

I like how Vlade structured most of those contacts with the final year only partially guaranteed.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#472 » by blind prophet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Kosta receiving interest with a few teams, one is Sacramento.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254880/Kosta-Koufos-Receiving-Interest-From-Pistons-Kings-Raptors-Bucks

I'd guess if he comes here Swan gets waived.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#473 » by kalenclayton » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:41 pm

blind prophet wrote:Kosta receiving interest with a few teams, one is Sacramento.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254880/Kosta-Koufos-Receiving-Interest-From-Pistons-Kings-Raptors-Bucks

I’m assuming it’s BJ Johnson who gets waived before Swan, as he is non-guaranteed. Either can go though. I’d like to see both of them gone. I like a lot of the other free agents on the market over both.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#474 » by blind prophet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:25 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Kosta receiving interest with a few teams, one is Sacramento.

I’m assuming it’s BJ Johnson who gets waived before Swan, as he is non-guaranteed. Either can go though. I’d like to see both of them gone. I like a lot of the other free agents on the market over both.

Got a pickup besides Kosta and Brewer as long as Vivek doesn't mind spending some money assuming BJ and Swan go?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#475 » by codydaze » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:55 pm

Interesting move. With Holmes, does that coomplete the roster?

Read on Twitter

Fox/Joseph/Yogi
Buddy/Bogdan/James/Guy (2 Way)
Barnes/Ariza
Bagley/Bjelica/Lydon/Gabriel (2 Way)
Dedmon/Giles/Holmes

Maybe we keep that 15th spot open for flexibility or we bring back a Brewer/Johnson?
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Post#476 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 pm

codydaze wrote:Interesting move. With Holmes, does that coomplete the roster?

Read on Twitter

Fox/Joseph/Yogi
Buddy/Bogdan/James/Guy (2 Way)
Barnes/Ariza
Bagley/Bjelica/Lydon/Gabriel (2 Way)
Dedmon/Giles/Holmes

Maybe we keep that 15th spot open for flexibility or we bring back a Brewer/Johnson?

I'm good bringing Brewer back. Like this signing, he was a recent 1st round pick who never really had an opportunity in Denver so stacked of bigs.

Hopefully our development staff gets ahold of him and turns him into a capable Bjelica replacement.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#477 » by blind prophet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Did Vlade get a non guarantee or partial on year two?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#478 » by blind prophet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:01 am

Vladfather partial in the Lydon deal.

Read on Twitter
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#479 » by sacking123 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 am

I don't mind this Lydon signing. He hasn't had much opportunity in the NBA, but he hasn't exactly been a terrific player in the G league either. Hopefully he can get a fresh start and do something with this group and training staff.
This has to mean Swanigan is gone though right? I was getting the feeling he was going to be salary filler in a trade, but with the new signings etc there isn't too many combinations for him to be involved. Bjelica/Ferrell/Swanigan or some combination of that for X.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#480 » by codydaze » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Not to bring politics into the board but I wonder how stuff like this can affect a locker room?

Especially with how progressive the organization and rest of the young core is when it comes to social issues.

Read on Twitter

Return to Sacramento Kings