Marial Shayok

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Marial Shayok 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:05 am

He is a second round pick that might make it into the first round by draft night. High IQ, but only an average athlete, but with a very very good mid range and 3pt game. His game reminds me of Mike Miller. He just made a name for himself on the national stage after upsetting #4 Kansas in a blow out win and being Iowa's best player.

eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,711

Re: Marial Shayok 

Post#2 » by eminence » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:18 am

Don't see it. Love the Clones, one of my favorite teams growing up, would love to see them all succeed, but Shayok is extremely old for a prospect (~24 at draft time) and fairly limited to being a scorer even at the collegiate level.

Also, it's Iowa St.
I bought a boat.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#3 » by orlandomanic » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:31 am

eminence wrote:Don't see it. Love the Clones, one of my favorite teams growing up, would love to see them all succeed, but Shayok is extremely old for a prospect (~24 at draft time) and fairly limited to being a scorer even at the collegiate level.

Also, it's Iowa St.

eh... Buddy Hield, Dennis Rodman, and a bunch of other good players were drafted when they were 25-26yr.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:22 pm

I reckon he'll get a chance in Summer League somewhere but I don't see him drafted.
eminence
RealGM

Post#5 » by eminence » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:37 pm

orlandomanic wrote:
eminence wrote:Don't see it. Love the Clones, one of my favorite teams growing up, would love to see them all succeed, but Shayok is extremely old for a prospect (~24 at draft time) and fairly limited to being a scorer even at the collegiate level.

Also, it's Iowa St.

eh... Buddy Hield, Dennis Rodman, and a bunch of other good players were drafted when they were 25-26yr.

Hield was 24, but that's not really the point.

It's the combo, he's old, and he's not really NBA good.
I bought a boat.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#6 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:12 pm

He looks good, he looks like a type of player that the Spurs would draft.
nybluemeadow
Rookie

Post#7 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:14 pm

I just checked his stats and he has some really impressive numbers. +20ppg scorer with very good shoot stats and advanced stats. Seems like a decent 2nd round pick.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#8 » by King Ken » Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:49 pm

eminence wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:

Also, it's Iowa St.

6'6 SG's with plus length, decent athletic ability and get steals, can shoot at a high clip and a high % and can really defend are usually draftable prospects. He looks like he has a high floor. I'll look at him in the 2nd round. These types are usually the ones that tend to always succeed in the NBA as role players.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/01/07/draft-notes-question-use-ageinexperience/
eminence
RealGM

Post#9 » by eminence » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:11 pm

King Ken wrote:
eminence wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:

6'6 SG's with plus length, decent athletic ability and get steals, can shoot at a high clip and a high % and can really defend are usually draftable prospects. He looks like he has a high floor. I'll look at him in the 2nd round. These types are usually the ones that tend to always succeed in the NBA as role players.

If the defensive things were true I'd agree. Except he doesn't generate steals, and at least imo he can't 'really defend'.
I bought a boat.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Mon Jan 7, 2019 5:40 pm

5th year seniors don't get drafted very often but in this draft he could easily get a look mid-late 2nd. He's 23 so he damn well better be producing like he has in college
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am

First Kansas and now upset a ranked Texas Tech. Just like in the Kansas game he was the best player for Iowa, with great shooting. He looked like he was always in the right spot, high basketball IQ and made everything look effortless.

He would make a great 2nd round or low first round pick. He can be another Danny Green if he goes to the right coaching environment.

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 pm

I just see a regular dude, nothing special. UDFA at best to me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by orlandomanic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:19 pm

He would be a good to great 2nd round pick. He reminds me of Voshon Lenard or Matt Barnes. He might not be a great player but I can see him as being one of those 2nd round picks that ends up having a 10 year career.

His ages keeps him out of the mid first round but the 2nd round has a history of older player, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the low first round because shooting is such a premium now and shooting seems to be Shayok's only true strength.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#14 » by PLO » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm

EvanZ wrote:I just see a regular dude, nothing special. UDFA at best to me.

This. This seasons Deng Adel.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by orlandomanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:53 am

King Ken wrote:
eminence wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:

Agree with this. He could be a #5 starter, or journey man, or fan favorite bench player, but his game and skills and defense are very solid. He is going to be one of those second round picks that ends up having a 10 year career while alot of guys drafted head of him will be playing in China only after a few years.
nybluemeadow
Rookie

Post#16 » by nybluemeadow » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:56 am

eminence wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:

Also, it's Iowa St.

Boy you really don't know what you are talking about. Shayok was the only guy last night that looked like a legit NBA player. He is no all star, but he is going to have a 10-15yr NBA career. Your old player argument is just stupid :crazy: :lol:
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:04 pm

can't lie, Shayok looks really good out there.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:36 am

I called him a poor man's Mike Miller all the way back in 2018. I'm going to stick with that. He looks like he belongs on the Spurs with how calm and smooth he looks out their.

However, one thing I'll say about him now that he is in the NBA, he looks like a stick out their. He really needs to hit the weight room and burgers hard this season and add 15-20lbs.

Return to NBA Draft