And1: 4,056

Michael Porter Jr 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Tue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Old news, heard about this a few weeks back. Also, new diagnosis of Foot Drop (saw it on the GB) is a lingering impact on him right now.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:17 pm

To not repeat myself I will just quote part of my today post related to MPJ from other thread with the point that we should not expect too much in his rookie year, nor to be disappointed whatever numbers he shows in the first year as a pro, but just be focused on his health. MPJ is a naturally gifted guy, and if he stays healthy he is going to be a star soon or later or at least TOP50 player with all these skills. We must be very patient with him, in year one especially.
THE J0KER wrote:We all have big expectations from Porter, and with a reason, but as I repeat it many times, don't expect a miracle from any small forward in his rookie season. Only LeBron, Durant, Carmelo, Wiggins, and Tatum has starters level worthy numbers in the past 25 years out of all SF rookies, and even they underperformed on some way, for example, LBJ and KD have miserable TS% around 50% for their around TS%60% standards in the rest of the career. Small forward is definitely the last spot where you should expect a miracle from a rookie in playoff level team. I have some hopes from cases of Embiid, Simmons, Griffin, which was redshirted too first season working with the team on the practice court, which all three played their rookie season since start like they are sophomores already not rookies. But I don't know how much MPJ case is comparable with these three knowing he is not in the position practicing too much 5-on-5 last season due to recovery, and he missed his NCAA career too, unlike Griffin-Embiid-Simmons with their notable college years.

For those who want to see more detailed cases of other notable NBA small forwards rookie seasons here is a list of those who debuted before 23. In many cases, these really notable players in their rookie year have a disappointing statistic for a forward like under 10ppg, under 3.5rpg, or under 52%TS%.
Spoiler:
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#4 » by TunaFish » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:02 pm

Good idea to bump up the old MPJ thread as we are likely to overwhelm the summer league thread. Even sports reporters are focusing on him at the moment.

It's almost like xmas in July.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#5 » by TunaFish » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:11 pm

THE J0KER wrote:To not repeat myself I will just quote part of my today post related to MPJ from other thread with the point that we should not expect too much in his rookie year, nor to be disappointed whatever numbers he shows in the first year as a pro, but just be focused on his health. MPJ is a naturally gifted guy, and if he stays healthy he is going to be a star soon or later or at least TOP50 player with all these skills. We must be very patient with him, in year one especially.
THE J0KER wrote:We all have big expectations from Porter, and with a reason, but as I repeat it many times, don't expect a miracle from any small forward in his rookie season. Only LeBron, Durant, Carmelo, Wiggins, and Tatum has starters level worthy numbers in the past 25 years out of all SF rookies, and even they underperformed on some way, for example, LBJ and KD have miserable TS% around 50% for their around TS%60% standards in the rest of the career. Small forward is definitely the last spot where you should expect a miracle from a rookie in playoff level team. I have some hopes from cases of Embiid, Simmons, Griffin, which was redshirted too first season working with the team on the practice court, which all three played their rookie season since start like they are sophomores already not rookies. But I don't know how much MPJ case is comparable with these three knowing he is not in the position practicing too much 5-on-5 last season due to recovery, and he missed his NCAA career too, unlike Griffin-Embiid-Simmons with their notable college years.

For those who want to see more detailed cases of other notable NBA small forwards rookie seasons here is a list of those who debuted before 23. In many cases, these really notable players in their rookie year have a disappointing statistic for a forward like under 10ppg, under 3.5rpg, or under 52%TS%.
Spoiler:

There are plenty of differences. Having a year with NBA coaches helps... a lot. He has been practicing with veterans. That does not mean anyone thinks he will be the best Nugget out of the gate. However, there is a reason for the buzz about him and you can see it; it's obvious. He's going to play... a lot. If he is healthy.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:23 pm

TunaFish wrote:Good idea to bump up the old MPJ thread as we are likely to overwhelm the summer league thread. Even sports reporters are focusing on him at the moment.

Unfortunately, MPJ despite being TOP3 most anticipated player this SL (with Zion and RJ Barrett) will not play at all this Summer League. His debut will be postponed for preseason.

Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. suffers left knee sprain, unlikely to play in Las Vegas Summer League

We must be patient, and I hope our FO will realize finally that we need another SF solution this season. It is very risky for playoff level team if they depending so much on a rookie which two previous years didn't play a single (full) game, no matter how talented he is. We still must be extremely patient and careful about everything related to MPJ health and do everything to prevent any unnecessary risk.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#7 » by Mac1958 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 5:21 pm

gah
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:37 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Good idea to bump up the old MPJ thread as we are likely to overwhelm the summer league thread. Even sports reporters are focusing on him at the moment.

Unfortunately, MPJ despite being TOP3 most anticipated player this SL (with Zion and RJ Barrett) will not play at all this Summer League. His debut will be postponed for preseason.

Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. suffers left knee sprain, unlikely to play in Las Vegas Summer League

We must be patient, and I hope our FO will realize finally that we need another SF solution this season. It is very risky for playoff level team if they depending so much on a rookie which two previous years didn't play a single (full) game, no matter how talented he is. We still must be extremely patient and careful about everything related to MPJ health and do everything to prevent any unnecessary risk.

While I think that everybody is disappointed in Porter getting injured again, to say that he is the only plan at SF is just crazy. We still have Juancho, Craig, and Barton who have all proven capable starters at SF at different times last year, and if Barton goes back to playing the right way or Juancho returns to preinjury form we have 2 very capable starting SFs.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#9 » by THE J0KER » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:57 pm

The Rebel wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

While I think that everybody is disappointed in Porter getting injured again, to say that he is the only plan at SF is just crazy. We still have Juancho, Craig, and Barton who have all proven capable starters at SF at different times last year, and if Barton goes back to playing the right way or Juancho returns to preinjury form we have 2 very capable starting SFs.

I'm obviously don't know what "proven" and "capable" (starter) means, but the fact is that all others 2018-19 teams qualified for playoff have better, more useful starting small forward last season than Denver's starting forward Will Barton. And in 2017-18 season all 16 teams which qualify for playoff have better small forward starter than Nuggets Wilson Chandler was that season. If that is not enough good argument that Denver has a big SF starter problem since Danilo Gallinari has gone, OK, I'm really crazy for lamenting about that past two years and being still unhappy with the current solution.

The only bright spot on SF in past two years was Torrey Craig during 2019 playoff. But let be clear and honnest about it: Craig playoff stats coming from the small sample, his 7-5-1 raw numbers are not that impressive at all, and his spectacular PO 3pt 47% efficiency which makes him look so good is just unrealistic for a career 32%3pt% shooter and was just product of small sample.

No way Malone or our FO didn't notice our weak SF spot in the past two seasons, and fact that they didn't try to fix it once again, making me think they believe in Michael Porter Jr ability to solve that problem already since his rookie year. While I believe in his talent and high ceiling too, I'm suspicious about his chances to take SF starter full-time job already in 2019-20. But to be honest, despite still never seeing any MPJ game vs NBA opponents and knowing his health issues, me too also have more trust in MPJ as our best 2019-20 SF than Barton, Craig, or Juancho. But that is a big gamble.

I always use Sixers Joel Embiid as our role model how to deal with MPJ. Embiid was drafted in 2014, then redshirted in 2015, then in 2016 which was originally sheduled to be Embiid real rookie season he was redshirted once again due to health issues, and in 2017 when he finally debuted his impressive rookie season was shut down for precautions reasons after just about 30 games after a first serious injury. I don't want to see anything in MPJ case to be pushed and rushed. If we need to sacrifice 3 years in his case to get him at the end of the process healthy and ready to contribute - let it be!
LeverRed
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#10 » by LeverRed » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:59 pm

MPJ is never going to be that rugged tough I’m gonna play whatever the circumstances type of player , I think he’s very soft
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:05 am

LeverRed wrote:MPJ is never going to be that rugged tough I’m gonna play whatever the circumstances type of player , I think he’s very soft

I've heard "he's very soft" many times and I've hear "he's a tough guy" even more times and once they play in the NBA - well, let's just say people can be quite surprised. I'll wait to see...
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#12 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jul 6, 2019 12:42 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
LeverRed wrote:MPJ is never going to be that rugged tough I’m gonna play whatever the circumstances type of player , I think he’s very soft

I've heard "he's very soft" many times and I've hear "he's a tough guy" even more times and once they play in the NBA - well, let's just say people can be quite surprised. I'll wait to see...

We just need to be extremely patient in his case, and nothing else. I mentioned already Joel Embiid case which was redshirted two seasons and played just 30 games in the third to be cleared from big injury issues from his young ages.

And for MPJ type of oversized SF players and elite shooters, being soft is not such a big deal at all. If he is going to be new Gallinari, it was the worthy 14th pick for sure. My compatriot Peja Stojakovic was also used to be soft, but as oversized SF with elite shooting skills, he has notable NBA career. Someone even called MVP caliber player Kevin Durant soft. So, MPJ doesn't need to be tough at all, just healthy.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#13 » by Coeur » Sat Jul 6, 2019 1:18 am

Fake injury. Have to keep him out of upcoming trade. Genius. Fake a porter injury. Knowbody thinks twice.

They saw what they wanted to see. Now it’s about cancar and Vanderbilt + some Bolbol. Welsh. Ole miss guard.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#14 » by TunaFish » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:18 pm

Good article on Porter including current status post knee sprain.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-wait-continues-for-michael-porter-jr/
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:42 am

Ironically, but this MPJ minor knee injury which once again postponed his debut (next target: preseasons games), turned at the end into something very positive for the team! It wakes up our FO from all sweet dreams from the previous season, and strategy to depend on the talented youngster which current priority is health, and triggered the move we waiting since Gallinari gone in 2017.

With Jeramy Grant coming there is no more unnecessary and dangerous pressure on Porter to show up early already in the rookie year, so we can be extremely precautions in his case on every warning which is crucial in his development for a player with his injury history. Look at Joel Embiid case which was patiently healed and treat not just 1st year after the draft, but played only 30 games in first three years. But now, after the end of that process, Sixers have TOP10 superstar and TOP3 center in the league.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#16 » by psimanic1 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:20 am

He could be playing in one summer league game they said..But I wouldn't count on it..Maybe 5-10min?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:38 am

An article about rookies with the most to prove this year includes Michael Porter Jr. Here's to hoping he can prove to everyone that he is 100%.

I've copied the section about Porter below the link.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2846749-rj-barrett-and-the-nba-rookies-with-the-most-to-prove-this-season#slide5

Since arriving at Missouri in 2017 as a potential No. 1 overall pick, Michael Porter Jr. has played 53 NCAA minutes and none in summer league, the G League or the NBA. He'll join this year's rookie class after missing all of last season with the Denver Nuggets.

His fall to No. 14 overall in 2018 reflected the league's loss of confidence in the 6'10" forward. Injuries to his back, his hip and, most recently, his knee have raised skepticism.

At this point, Porter should just be looking to prove his body can hold up. But over time, he'll want to prove he can get back to functioning as the scoring mismatch he was in high school.

While coaches and fans will be anxious to see how his jump shot looks, Porter should be more focused on regaining his ability to turn the corner, explode above the basket and take contact.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#18 » by TunaFish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Found this in a general search (so I can't verify):

...from Rafał Juć's (Denver's international scout) interview with Polish radio:

they are very happy they got Michael Porter Jr. They are working on his eating habits: he's a vegan so it's kinda hard for him to get that muscle mass, but "now that his parents are not around" MPJ himself is quietly encouraging Nuggets' chef to "throw some bacon to that scrambled eggs". According to Juć, he's already 33 pounds heavier. Rafał was in Denver all June and he's impressed with MPJ, saying he has a chance to be a starting-five player and one of the top three Nuggets players.

Bol Bol is a project and Rafał does not think he'll play for Nuggets next season at all. They will work with him, and just like with MPJ they'll try to change his eating and workout habits.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:24 am

TunaFish wrote:Found this in a general search (so I can't verify):

...from Rafał Juć's (Denver's international scout) interview with Polish radio:

they are very happy they got Michael Porter Jr. They are working on his eating habits: he's a vegan so it's kinda hard for him to get that muscle mass, but "now that his parents are not around" MPJ himself is quietly encouraging Nuggets' chef to "throw some bacon to that scrambled eggs". According to Juć, he's already 33 pounds heavier. Rafał was in Denver all June and he's impressed with MPJ, saying he has a chance to be a starting-five player and one of the top three Nuggets players.

Bol Bol is a project and Rafał does not think he'll play for Nuggets next season at all. They will work with him, and just like with MPJ they'll try to change his eating and workout habits.

Where's that +10 button when you need it? :D This sounds like great news! Thanks for sharing!!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#20 » by THE J0KER » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:39 pm

OK, I know it is just one single action less than 5 seconds long, but MPJ seems to be in physically really good shape right now, especially for a rookie. Even better, he seems mentally ready too, I don't think someone who is still not mentally recovered from bold back injury and surgery would even try this type of dunk.

BTW I do this little research of current Denver Nuggets practice sessions videos because of Bol Bol, to find of him doing any kind of "contact" practice, and I didn't find anything. Just a couple of shooting sessions. I guess hard practice work he talked lately in interviews is probably connected with a gym. My conclusion is that right now most realistic 2019-20 scenario for Bol Bol is not G-League, but to be completely redshirted, with hard to predict without insider information when he will be ready for 1/1 and 5/5 drills.

Return to Denver Nuggets