Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,642

Re: SPURS IN SUMMER LEAGUE 2019 

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:13 pm

Some thoughts on Game 3:

I only got to watch from when we were down 30-15 in the 2nd Q. Luka and Keldon were out for rest, and for some reason the ball was not moving as crisply on O and we kept allowing defenders to get set as we took too long to execute. On defense, we were a step behind and on our heels much of the night. Once the first defender was driven by, our rotations and close outs were each subsequently late. Still, when we dug down and disrupted passes and shots (5 steals, 3 blocks), we chipped away at the lead. We brought the 17-point deficit down to I think 3 in the second half, but we couldn't get over the hump as they made several runs to keep pulling away. Twelve assists to 11 TO's is an indicator of the seesaw nature of the game in which we helped and hurt ourselves in near equal measure. In a close 84-81 game, the TO's get magnified

Thomas Robinson is hustling and you can tell he wants to get attention the he belongs in the NBA. I said after the second game that he scares me a bit and in this game he flashed a bit of why. Spurs ran out the shot clock without getting a shot up, and Robinson got a tech - in Summer League! - for shoving the ball in an opponent's face. It's not that big a deal, and you could argue it's good to have someone with some grit to him, but I don't trust working for the team's benefit. That said, he was great inside, made good cuts and got good positioning, and used his body very well for 12 points (on only 3-6), 9 rebounds (team-high 5 on O), 1 assist, 2 blocks. He consistently got to the line in Utah, and in this game was 6-6. I hope he finds a spot on a team as he is contributing in various ways.

He was one of four Spurs in double figures, joining Drew, Quinn, and Lonnie. Drew brought out the hook in the key - another tool in the box he's brought out. Fifteen points (6-10) and 7 rebounds, but a poor 3-8FTs. He said the Spurs told him he is in our long-term plans. If he is to stick as our third C, the more he add to his game (outside shot, hook to his rebounding and screens and hustle) the better his chances are.

Quinn had 13 on 5-12, with a solid 2-3 from 3. I like that he just steps into the shot and lets it fly. You can tell it's a shot he's comfortable taking. To be honest I didn't really notice him as much this game, a combination of my attention on him most likely, but maybe him not standing out as much, but also Lonnie having the ball in his hands a lot.

Much praise has been heaped on Lonnie because he was second in PPG during SLC SL, and he did lead the team with 19 points and 8 rebounds (all on D) but it was on 7-17, 1-4 from 3, 4-5FTs. His outside J is much improved, and his drives are ever as crafty, but he's got some habits that stand out in a bad way. For one, he's listed as SF, and maybe we wanted him to get his chances, but he handled the ball and held on to it far too long time and again. The ball movement when Lonnie didn't play last game was noticeably better. In this game he largely functioned as a 1 or 2, and really didn't facilitate well for others.

Again, it may have been by design to see what he could do, but how he did it leaves room for improvement: first half, he was hardly noticeable; late in the 4th Q with about 2 minutes left, we had three or four chances to score, and instead of pushing the ball fast, he trotted up the court as defenders set up; another time he held on to the ball even as Quinn ran on the right side and looked back ready for a pass, but none came; Lonnie kept using screens to try and find driving holes and ended up either shooting or driving against at least two defenders; his game recognition has room to grow as he missed some opportunities by not recognizing opportunities to cut into the key for passes and instead drifting around and out.

Overall, a knock on him was him showing flashes of talent but also tendencies to disappear, and this was once again the case. His game recognition - what to do with and without the ball needs honing, too, as it was too much me-ball that did not benefit the team. Why did he shoot the final 3 when Quinn had the best 3% in the game? I understand it's about process not result in SL, but the process is showing some holes. I have to remember that he's 20 and not far removed from HS, so perhaps it's a bit harsh or too probing, but that style of play on display doesn't mesh with what the Spurs are about. Hopefully it was just all about letting him flex some game muscles and what not. We'll see how he further develops in the team system.

To bring it to within 3 at the end after being down 17 says something about our moxie, and with guys in and out of the line-up, there will be inconsistencies. There are tendencies of guys that are appearing nonetheless, as is the foundations of our play. It'll be interesting to see how we progress in Vegas.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#23 » by G R E Y » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:22 pm

Vegas Summer League starts tonight for us:
Read on Twitter

Our roster and coaching staff:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#24 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:03 am

LV SL Game 1: Spurs vs. Magic
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:02 pm

Game 1 Result:
Read on Twitter

Highlights courtesy of Lonnie:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#26 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:10 pm

The Game Brief:

We got shellacked.

Lonnie was feeling himself too early, saying something along the lines of "Too easy" when on an early scoring streak, and of course the karmic lesson boomeranged and not only his defender but entire opponent proceeded to take it to us.

Luka had an off game, no sugar coating it. You can see the parts, but he is raw and perhaps pushing it a bit trying to dunk over guys.

Thomas Robinson knows how to play: good cuts, positioning, using his physicality, and is impactful in points, rebounds, and getting to the FT line. He rocked the rim on one cut and thundering dunk.

Cue the earthquake: 11:25pm ET and suddenly the camera starts shaking, one court is cleared and the Spurs game was called after the 3rd Q. Mercifully for us, frankly. On to the next one.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#27 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:15 pm

LV SL Game 2: Spurs vs. Hornets

Read on Twitter

Luka at the C. Ok...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#28 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:40 pm

I think Keldon Johnson is going to force his way into getting some decent minutes this season, similar to J. Simmons in 2016, before he got in the rotation the next season (2016-2017) and had his coming out party (for an athletic role-player wing). Keldon to me after watching him numerous times, looks as NBA-ready as any of the top lotto picks, due to his confidence, skillset, physical tools, coordination.

Would really like to see T-Rob make the team, but don't think the room is going to be there. Always really liked his approach, physicality to the game since he came out of Kansas.. he should get on somewhere, if not in Europe. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ultimately ends up making the roster in the Fall. He'll probably be in training camp for pre-season, though.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:29 pm

Game 2 stats:
Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:11 am

Game 2 thoughts and impressions:

Our defense-first, ball-sharing game returned and we were rewarded with the win. All three of our rookies presented well, and the team looks to be gelling well together.

Like Ballings said, we've got a very promising pick with Keldon. Pop says that it's the player's job to force him to give minutes, and KJ's just the type to earn them. He has shown far more on O than a spot up shooter I was expecting (though I do not watch much college ball at all), with creative and physical drives, getting to the right spots (good understanding of where to be and good off ball movement), but also a knack for the ball. It somehow bounces to where he happens to be on O rebounds. He improvises on finishing drives well and stays coordinated to get good shots off and is good at holding on to the ball when driving and physically contested, but even when his shot is not falling, there is no drop off in his defensive tenacity. He's very vocal, too, and I bet he'll be a favourite in the locker room.

Quinn had a very solid showing, consistent defensive effort stepping up to take a charge, getting O rebounds against taller opponents, has a nice shot, and does not back down or shrink from smack talk. His demeanour is as steady as his game.

Luka I think pushes it a bit to prove himself, but after a slow start, he got hot from the arc and showed more flashes of his overall game - smooth quick 3, a behind the back dribble to change direction and finish at the rim, good post-up positioning and finish with a hook. Luka at times misses the pass to teammates ahead on the break, and at other times is a bit fancy with behind the back pass attempts, so fundamentals, but he put it all together better in this game. He's got a good frame on which to put more strength, and he will be dangerous when everything becomes more automatic for him.

Ben Moore is a creative finisher around the rim, and knows when to cut and take advantage of spacing made.

We went on some good runs throughout the game, and these were generated from our system. We had a lot of travel calls for some reason, but these were balanced with great transition game where we didn't waste dribbles, just rebound outlet pass, pass ahead for a layup and +19 at the FT line.

Solid team scoring (five Spurs in double figures) and solid overall game.

Loved the line-up for team hand shakes at the end of the game.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#31 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:23 am

LV SL Game 3: SA vs. TO
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#32 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:13 am

Game 3 stats:
Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:33 am

Lonnie Walker looks amazing!!! He was my fave SG in that draft. I wanted him on the Hawks, but you guys snatched him a pick before we could get there.

Congrats on another draft gem for that backcourt.

PS I wish you guys had gotten Goga in this draft. Spurs would be back on top in no time.

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#34 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Lonnie Walker looks amazing!!! He was my fave SG in that draft. I wanted him on the Hawks, but you guys snatched him a pick before we could get there.

Congrats on another draft gem for that backcourt.

PS I wish you guys had gotten Goga in this draft. Spurs would be back on top in no time.

Read on Twitter

Thanks yeah, glad he slipped down to us (we were reportedly looking to move up for him, but didn't need to, same as for Dejounte). Lonnie's blossomed noticeably, mostly his shot and in that the game looks to have slowed down for him. His handles and facilitating need work, but then I remind myself he's only 20.

We lost the coin toss to the Pacers for that #18 pick and I wonder whether Goga went there in part because of growing interest from other teams. Spurs were reportedly interested, and with two bigs already, adding a third seemed a strange choice for Indy, though it gives them more flexibility and trade assets. Their GM was talking about how he had three to four calls looking to trade for Goga. I wonder if that wasn't also a bit of a sell job, though, perhaps even to his fanbase.

We were reportedly prepared to move up if the guy we really liked went ahead, so either we called Indy but the price was too steep, or the rumours of our interest in Goga were exaggerated (or a decoy to keep our true interests a secret), or all things considered, we were fine with Luka at #19. He has a wide skillset but is more raw. If he had put it all together sooner he'd likely have gone higher. We did scout him for three years...

As excited as I am about what Lonnie has shown, it's tempered with his having to prove it at the next level. I do like the consistency in his shot making and better defense to go along with his brimming confidence. It'll be interesting to see how our back court players fight for minutes. It's only a good thing when we can roll out two very good line-ups.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#35 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Game 3 thoughts:

We were rolling to a 26-point lead for three quarters. Cue the fourth, and their zone defense completely stymied us. No P&R, and we kept passing around the arc with no off ball movement, no purpose and hardly any penetration, leading to one wasted possession after another. If it wasn't a late shot clock heave, it was a turnover which led to transition points for them. The wins all count, but the how is interesting, and given the trend, this one felt like they just ran out of time.

Still, we generated enough offense for three quarters to squeak away a win, and all the while Lonnie showcased his growing repertoire of offensive talent. Much more consistent on that end, and his range and jumper and creative flair are coming together well. Love his body control and finish on drives. On D, Lonnie did well to move his feet and stay upright, hands busy, resulting in a couple of steals and blocks. It is good to see that end of his game grow, just understanding where to be and what to do as the play is developing.

He did handle the ball a lot in those three quarters, and I think ball handling and decision making are works in progress. Sometimes he lost the ball - like in that final possession when he turned it over - and other times he dribbles into a crowd of defenders. Even though he can carve his way through a lot of the time, it's about seeing the other options and taking advantage. He had a very upright torso /straight back when he dribbles, and I'm not sure whether that affects the mechanics or what when he loses the ball. It was good to see him facilitate more in the fourth with some set drive and kicks as it was something we didn't see enough of in other games.

To give credit to our guys, too, though we could score in the fourth, we did well for the most part to run the clock, and our defense especially towards the end of the game was solid. Robinson made a crucial block on their 3 attempt, and though they got too many O boards in the fourth, Ledbetter got the D rebound on their final miss. Every play counts.

Williams and Galen looked good defensively, solid fundamentals of getting steals then looking up and ahead for quick transition passes. Barnett is good at finding spaces to get into for points around the rim, a cut to the key here, a back door cut for a dunk there. I liked Drew's two handed straight up jump block, but not his elbow to an opponent's groin to get himself ejected. Spurs coaches love his relentlessness, but it has to work for us, not against us. I didn't like seeing that play; it doesn't belong in the game.

With our three rookies not playing, other players got minutes and a chance to show their games. Good to see that whoever is plugged into the line-up, we play to our principles, defense first, team-oriented.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 am

LV SL Game 4: Spurs vs. Suns

Lonnie's sitting this one out, but our three rookies are playing:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Ranking the Top 25 NBA Summer League Players so Far

1. Lonnie Walker IV, San Antonio Spurs SG

Stats through four games: 24.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 55.1 field-goal percentage, 30.8 three-point percentage

Through four games between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas summer leagues, Lonnie Walker IV has averaged 24.8 points on 55.1 percent shooting, and that's without using much of a three-ball.

He's looked noticeably sharper and more confident inside the arc, both as a shot-creator with pull-ups, step-backs and slashes and as a shot-maker from mid-range zones and at the rim. Walker showed off more range against the Toronto Raptors on Monday, hitting three three-pointers en route to 32 points.

After falling to No. 18 in the 2018 draft and playing sparingly as a rookie, the sophomore 2-guard is reviving optimism in the upside his explosiveness, physical tools and perimeter-scoring skills fueled out of high school.
Bleacher Report
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:32 am

LV SL Game 4 Results:
Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#39 » by Ballings7 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:31 am

Lonnie will be this year's Derrick White in terms of new, developed impact... not necessarily in a starting role like Derrick eventually got to have.. but he could be so good that he finishes games at times, off the bench and spot starter. Manu-lite, ideally!

If someone gets hurt for some time though? I see him thriving on the opportunity.

I also think Keldon Johnson will force his way into the rotation semi-frequently because of his confidence and array of abilities on both ends. I'd love to see him get experience by playing some 4th qtrs as a primary defender + being a spacer for shots and cuts on offense to help win some games...
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:41 am

Game 4 thoughts:

I know it's 'just' Summer League, and the focus is really about learning and teaching from everyone from coaches to players, but knowing the win was within our grasp and we let it slip away is a bit irritating. It's how we did it: having fought back to get the lead, we let it slip away with some lack of attention to fundamentals at crucial moments. The lessons: every play counts and they add up; playing the right way is not just some platitude but has real consequences.

It was decided that Lonnie would sit this one out, and just as well. What does he have to prove or left to show at this point? Can't wait to see him grow further and contribute on the Spurs this season. Our three rookies were among 11 players who got minutes instead.

We had several nice scoring runs, this from a variety of guys scoring-by-committee, and from D to O transition. Good to see them absorbing the defense-first mindset throughout the SL. Really like Keldon's off-ball movement, curling around screens for Js as well as his ability to change speed on drives to throw off defenders; Ben's drives, creative finishes and O rebound putbacks; Robinson's overall activity and impact, especially how he uses his physicality in getting points and rebounds; Kenny's defensive presence and quick smart transitions; Drew's intensity and hook shot; Magette's and Ledbetter's steady presence and getting others involved. Luka showed some really nice handles. That behind the back dribble looked tighter and smoother, as well as a quick spin drive on the left baseline from a post-up move. Really liked his hustle in getting after contested D rebounds, and speed going the other way to set up shots. He still tends to dribble a bit too long rather than passing ahead, but made good passes, and hit smooth 3s. He is going to be a threat from all over the floor for us once he starts putting it all together.

Quinn led us in scoring with 19 points on 6-13, along with 6 rebounds 3 assists and 1 steal. Really nice all around game for him. Robinson stood out because although he had an off shooting night (1-4) he once again got to the FT line where he did well 5-6. Drew was most efficient, scoring 16 on 7-10 and grabbed 9 rebounds. Luka got his first double double with 11 points and 11 rebounds (3 on O). Although he shot 3-8, he was 1-1 from 3 and 4-4FTs. Each showed a little more from the toolkit.

One of our issues was that without a true go-to scorer, at times we got caught up in passing without guys being as assertive in scoring. In some games we've done well in moving the ball and scoring from the open chances generated, but in this one at times guys looked around at each other as to who was going to score. Hitting only 4-18 from the 3 hurt us as well.

We came back from behind I think 9 or 10 points in the first half to take the lead after 2Qs, and though I missed much of the 3rd Q, it was a pity to see us give up scoring runs and let them back in it. It's always a gem of ebbs and flows, but we could have helped ourselves with some better ball protection. They kept successfully poking the ball from behind us on passes and post-ups and got points in transition on us that way. So ball protection was one aspect of fundamentals we have to heed better, and wasting possessions with travels (irritating) was another.

We could have called a timeout earlier in some of their scoring runs (though in fairness looking back I wasn't sure how many we had left), but really liked seeing Becky call a couple of players over and set up a final play on the sidelines when they were shooting FTs and were were out of timeouts. Good use of the coach's challenge, too, even though it didn't go our way. Weak call, but as Becky said post-game, Quinn bringing up the ball along the sidelines late in the game where he was doubled and had the ball stolen was one of those lessons that guys will take with them.

A close game is a good experience, and though their pressure got to us late in the game (TO here, foul there), these are the situations in which guys will grow. Luka had that final foul after Drew blocked their shot. Drew giveth; Drew taketh away. He is a relentless competitor and added range and a hook shot, but he is too careless in fouling so he has to make sure that intensity and physicality works for us in defensive presence and not untimely fouls (earlier in the game and that flagrant in the other game). Post-game, Luka talked about adjusting to the speed of the game, and learning about playing through mistakes, not letting one play mentally seep into the focus of the present one. If he and we can absorb that lesson alone, it'll go a long way in progressing through each stage of development.

We finished 2-2 in LV SL with this one point loss, so it's likely the consolation round now for us, but it was really good to see our rookies show flashes, some guys hoping to catch on with NBA teams show their games, Lonnie shine, and the guest coaches have this experience.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs