2019 Free Agency

Moderator: G R E Y

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Re: 2019 Free Agency 

Post#41 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:34 am

Marcus Morris:: Awesome pick up! Just the kind of player this team's been missing and needed..

Slowly, but steadily, this team has gotten a lot of versatility, agility, toughness and length defensively and increased ability offensively and shooting the ball.

Murray
White
Walker IV
Marcus Morris
DeMarre Carroll
Rudy Gay
(Keldon Johnson)

Morris will give greater and expanded ability to go smaller but STAY BIG with an additional defensive dimension + floor spacing. Morris can also get his own shot and get to the line consistently. Everyone wanted him to go to a mainstream, media darling team like Houston or LAL... but Nope! Too bad.

Love the Morris pick-up - gonna be pretty huge..

Davis was a pretty good young shooting forward, adequate defender, but was/did not become reliable enough outside of shooting the ball, and forgettable/ineffective in playoffs.. wish him the best.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Cobra Kawhi
Veteran
And1: 5,957

Post#42 » by Cobra Kawhi » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:17 am

I will never doubt Skip Bayless again
7theye
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#43 » by 7theye » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:23 pm

Cobra Kawhi wrote:I will never doubt Skip Bayless again

SKip f-ing Bayless? Why?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Post#44 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:17 pm

Watching Morris up close in Detroit, he was always one of the only players I liked on the team. He always produces when he plays. Same thing can be said when he was with Boston. He can be a starter, he can come off the bench. One thing he has always done is defend, rebound and score when he gets minutes. I am excited by this. He will give us the red-ass I have been looking for on this team.

I might be being homerish but adding Carroll and Morris, getting Murray back and bringing back Rudy have proven that this team is going for it this season.

Aldridge came here to win a title.
DeRozen just watched his friends win a title.
If these guys can have some kind of come-to-Jesus moment and really decide a title is what they want and we stay injury free we have a punchers chance. I am really looking forward to this season.

As far as Bertans goes, great guy but very limited. Like Grey mentioned, if he wasn't hitting threes he wasn't doing much else. I wish him well but we are a much better team today than we were yesterday.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:28 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:We had a cup of coffee and Boogie is LAL bound. Ah well...

I may be in the minority on this but I would take Morris over Cousins any day of the week at this point in their careers.
Good luck to Cousins and that circus in LA
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,627

Post#46 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:35 pm

Cobra Kawhi wrote:I will never doubt Skip Bayless again

Skip is not right a lot, but he wasn't wrong on this one, even if his delivery is for show.

Yeah, it's a bad feeling, but at least you see the true colours in the FA dog-and-pony show / distraction noodle schemes that are well familiar to Spurs. Some good-faith reciprocity is a basic standard, right? Better not to over-cater to a ridiculous point where everything has to flow through one player's and his group's whims, and just move on. In the long run, you are better off.

Take it easy :beer:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:05 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Watching Morris up close in Detroit, he was always one of the only players I liked on the team. He always produces when he plays. Same thing can be said when he was with Boston. He can be a starter, he can come off the bench. One thing he has always done is defend, rebound and score when he gets minutes. I am excited by this. He will give us the red-ass I have been looking for on this team.

I might be being homerish but adding Carroll and Morris, getting Murray back and bringing back Rudy have proven that this team is going for it this season.

Aldridge came here to win a title.
DeRozen just watched his friends win a title.
If these guys can have some kind of come-to-Jesus moment and really decide a title is what they want and we stay injury free we have a punchers chance. I am really looking forward to this season.

As far as Bertans goes, great guy but very limited. Like Grey mentioned, if he wasn't hitting threes he wasn't doing much else. I wish him well but we are a much better team today than we were yesterday.

Good to get some insight on him. I really did do the whole 'which Morris twin' quick search and I'm glad we're getting some grit and sandpaper guys. As to the bold part, I've heard a couple of Spurs speak about those intentions of going for it all this season, like there's unfinished business. I like the focused confidence.

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:We had a cup of coffee and Boogie is LAL bound. Ah well...

I may be in the minority on this but I would take Morris over Cousins any day of the week at this point in their careers.
Good luck to Cousins and that circus in LA

Yeah you know what I agree, just didn't think we were in the running for Morris so Boogie was the second or third option. I think we get more out of Morris for more minutes in terms of need, versatility, and fit. Solid pick-up.

Basically this season we have:

Out: Davis, QPon, Dante

In: Carroll, Morris, Dejounte back, Rudy back

That's a solid upgrade especially given our financial limitations. We did really well to get better defensively, have a better roster balance, and get stronger top to bottom.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#48 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:37 pm

Don't mind Cousins not coming, especially that Marcus Morris was able to be had and of the two, Morris is the better fit, and the better player at this point, especially for a modern NBA game on both ends.

Honestly was surprised he was signed, I thought he'd go somewhere else to a more flashy team.. good work again by the FO
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by imagump1313 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:49 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Basically this season we have:

Out: Davis, QPon, Dante

In: Carroll, Morris, Dejounte back, Rudy back

Exactly!

If those were two different 3 on 3 teams who do you think is winning? Thats a blowout :D
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:07 am

Some info on recent signings:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A range of $4M for Rudy's contract, and reworking DC's deal to make it a S&T allowed us to sign Morris. A better roster with added flexibility.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:20 pm

Just heard about Morris backing out.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

I did find it odd how we got away with paying Carroll more than him. But still ****!!!!!1
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#52 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:23 am

imagump1313 wrote:Just heard about Morris backing out.

I did find it odd how we got away with paying Carroll more than him. But still ****!!!!!1

Yeah it's a big POS move. Only what? the third time it's ever happened? Jordan, Boozer, and not this (if it happens, which given the leaks, looks likely)?

I was JUST thinking hmm looks like Morris has his act together after some run ins with the law, aaaand here we are. I get it, it's a FA's right, but Klutch agency had a congrats to him for going to the Spurs on their Instagram, since taken down, and while the past doesn't determine the future, if a man isn't his word...? Or does that not matter anymore?

Like what's the end game here? We offer a $20M 1+1, the second being a PO, Knicks $15M/1. Ours is likely a starting position in which he could shine. Knicks have 3 PFs already. So unless this is a ploy to get him traded to some other Klutch-laden team (ooooh say, LAL), I don't get it.

I really wish the NBA would do something about deals of this nature going through the moratorium as a sort of 'maybe' now. For complex deals that require a domino effect, I get it, but as a tool to shop around further? BS. We traded Davis to make this deal! And now we could lose him for nothing except the space, but we could have used him as an asset elsewhere.

The question now is, do we want a guy who isn't committed?
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#53 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 am

GREY 1769 wrote:

Yeah it's a big POS move. Only what? the third time it's ever happened? Jordan, Boozer, and not this (if it happens, which given the leaks, looks likely)?

I was JUST thinking hmm looks like Morris has his act together after some run ins with the law, aaaand here we are. I get it, it's a FA's right, but Klutch agency had a congrats to him for going to the Spurs on their Instagram, since taken down, and while the past doesn't determine the future, if a man isn't his word...? Or does that not matter anymore?

Like what's the end game here? We offer a $20M 1+1, the second being a PO, Knicks $15M/1. Ours is likely a starting position in which he could shine. Knicks have 3 PFs already. So unless this is a ploy to get him traded to some other Klutch-laden team (ooooh say, LAL), I don't get it.

I really wish the NBA would do something about deals of this nature going through the moratorium as a sort of 'maybe' now. For complex deals that require a domino effect, I get it, but as a tool to shop around further? BS. We traded Davis to make this deal! And now we could lose him for nothing except the space, but we could have used him as an asset elsewhere.

If the guy is not committed, then he's not committed. Better to have found out now then later into the season had he checked out on the team.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 am

SD2042 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

If the guy is not committed, then he's not committed. Better to have found out now then later into the season had he checked out on the team.

Yes and no. This was well past the stage of are you or are you not committing. We traded a rotation player to make room for him. They gave a verbal commitment which has only twice been backed out of. His own agency had a congrats pic of him to the Spurs. So it's not lack of commitment as it is backing out of one already made when the Spurs made such arrangements to get it done -- we can't get Davis back.

I agree you don't want a player who does not want to be here, but it seems to be an issue of money and Morris's frustration he could not garner a bigger contract this FA. Maybe he got some assurances of a trade to some other team at the deadline? Knicks can put out a starting line-up of all PFs.

But because all of this has now gone public, it's a baaaad look. If this is going to be some character issue, then we should move on.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#55 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:Yeah it's a big POS move. Only what? the third time it's ever happened? Jordan, Boozer, and not this (if it happens, which given the leaks, looks likely)?

Yes and no. This was well past the stage of are you or are you not committing. We traded a rotation player to make room for him. They gave a verbal commitment which has only twice been backed out of. His own agency had a congrats pic of him to the Spurs. So it's not lack of commitment as it is backing out of one already made when the Spurs made such arrangements to get it done -- we can't get Davis back.

I agree you don't want a player who does not want to be here, but it seems to be an issue of money and Morris's frustration he could not garner a bigger contract this FA. Maybe he got some assurances of a trade to some other team at the deadline? Knicks can put out a starting line-up of all PFs.

But because all of this has now gone public, it's a baaaad look. If this is going to be some character issue, then we should move on.

Contractual wise, I can agree to what you're saying. It's binding when to sides agree to meet expectations in accordance to the contract. Since this contract apparently was still open and the Knicks offered "more money" I guess Morris wanted more money albeit it is only for one season. I guess the issue for him is that he's worth more in his mind than he thought he deserves. Probably the reason why he took the one year commitment from the Knicks, rather than two years to become a Spurs player.

As for character issues, we are fully aware of Morris's lack of temper at times. Otherwise, he's been on good behavior since his departure from the Suns several seasons ago. The way things when down it looks bad for Morris to the point of how to trust a player to his word if he reneges on his commitment to a new team. Especially when said team traded away a player to fit another player in the system to only get nothing. What will the Spurs next move be will be anyone's guess.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:29 am

Assuming this is happening, There are still a couple alternatives out there.

Jonas Jerebko
Greg Monroe (ugh)
Kenneth Faried
Dragan Bender
Is it true Kelly Oubre is still out there?

Nobody that compares to what Morris would have brought I'm afraid. If I had to choose, Jerebko would be the best fit but we couldn't rely on him to do much.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#57 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Assuming this is happening, There are still a couple alternatives out there.

Jonas Jerebko
Greg Monroe (ugh)
Kenneth Faried
Dragan Bender
Is it true Kelly Oubre is still out there?

Nobody that compares to what Morris would have brought I'm afraid. If I had to choose, Jerebko would be the best fit but we couldn't rely on him to do much.

Faried's an option I first thought of, but his defense is suspect, and there seems to be a pattern of not defending and complaining about minutes that follows him from one team to another. Perhaps that's an unfair oversimplification, but I'm sure FOs have more insight into these things.

It's been curiously quiet since all the news broke out. I wonder whether there are some negotiations going in the background from the agency's side as a good faith olive branch after this egregious breach, say, helping to find or facilitate an alternative option to Morris? Getting a rep of screwing over a team for Morris? Sounds short-sighted.

Some are saying that we're better off since he's a bit of a chucker, but I still think his defense and grit would be additions, though I do wonder about locker room fit especially now. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

We need not rush to fill the position for its own sake as I think we can have up to 20 roster spots for training camp.

Also, not for nothing but to the whispers about Spurs kicking tires for Westbrook, hard hell no on that one, not for any of our young backcourt, not for cap hell, not for system fit. No. Just no.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:12 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Faried's an option I first thought of, but his defense is suspect, and there seems to be a pattern of not defending and complaining about minutes that follows him from one team to another. Perhaps that's an unfair oversimplification, but I'm sure FOs have more insight into these things.

It's been curiously quiet since all the news broke out. I wonder whether there are some negotiations going in the background from the agency's side as a good faith olive branch after this egregious breach, say, helping to find or facilitate an alternative option to Morris? Getting a rep of screwing over a team for Morris? Sounds short-sighted.

Some are saying that we're better off since he's a bit of a chucker, but I still think his defense and grit would be additions, though I do wonder about locker room fit especially now. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

We need not rush to fill the position for its own sake as I think we can have up to 20 roster spots for training camp.

Also, not for nothing but to the whispers about Spurs kicking tires for Westbrook, hard hell no on that one, not for any of our young backcourt, not for cap hell, not for system fit. No. Just no.

I didn't realize Morris' agent is Rich Paul. Rumor is the plan was to just hang out with the Knicks until Dec. 15th and conveniently be traded to the Lakers. The Knicks have already signed plenty of players at Morris position already. Paul is risking a lot if this happens as well because his clients could be blackballed by any NBA team not named the Lakers. I would normally chalk this up to the Morris twins and their reputations for being not soo good guys but I think it might just be him getting bad advice from his agent.

I'm at the point where I really don't care either way. If he comes, fine. If he doesn't we will be fine without you.

I am a big fan of Westbrook and the way he plays. If we could bottle up an ounce if the passion he plays with and given it to Bertans, Forbes or Anderson when he was here, man they could have been great. Not a big fan of his stat padding ways lately though. Maybe 5 years ago I would have welcomed him but now? He is on the wrong side of 30 with too many NBA miles. You would have to destroy this current team to try to make him fit. That is for loser/desperate teams like Detroit or Washington to attempt. We're fine.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by imagump1313 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 pm

So we just pulled the offer to Morris and signed Trey Lyles. I guess that's not soo bad. I think Morris would had given us more but not if he was being a dick. I know about as much about Lyles as I knew about Carroll so fill me in.

[Removed Twitter link because it makes this site slow as fu_k]
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#60 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:28 am

OK move to rebound off losing Morris to trash, and solid move to replace Bertans.

Guy can definitely shoot, has some size for modern PF, and could be turned into a decent defender at PF in Spurs system, based off what I've generally seen.

I haven't seen too much of him, but from what I have seen, seems like an adequate stretch 4 who has shown other skills but not consistently there, and defensive level of ability, can't really comment on, but haven't heard/read anything really "good", but does have pretty good size at modern PF, and isn't necessarily bad agility-wise. So could turn into something pretty solid defensively here.

So will have to see.. will do some research soon to check him out more. His personality I know from an interview I heard on I think Bill Simmons podcast, is pretty Spursy, low key and seems to have some "school" in him.

Adds depth back in terms of shooting at forward, with length, at least.

Definitely unfortunate and sketchy and garbage situation with Morris, though. I was real disappointed to learn what would probably happen this week, I was looking forward to Morris helping up front a lot. Would of been the best utility forward with mobility since Boris the team has had.. those kind of players are big for playoffs and against top-talent-laden teams to get you out of jams.

Return to San Antonio Spurs