ImageImageImageImageImage

DMC

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

DMC 

Post#1 » by AcecardZ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:17 am

Love him or hate him he’s a Laker! He’s a four time All-Star on a one year veteran minimum contract.
Attitude and likability issues aside this signing has no downside and plenty of potential upside.

DMC averaged 16 pts 8 rebounds and 3.5 assists after returning from his torn achilles while playing limited minutes. Prior to his injury he was a 25/12/5 guy and while he will likely never regain that form playing with LeBron and AD he likely won’t need to put up those numbers to still be able to make a significant contribution to the team.

This is a fortuitous acquisition and come playoff time should pay huge dividends if he can stay healthy.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,831

Re: DMC 

Post#2 » by Beethoven » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:21 am

I agree. I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the table for us.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#3 » by iamworthy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:50 am

He has huge financial motivations to come back like a monster this year. This might be his last opportunity to get a large payday next summer.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,816

Post#4 » by TyCobb » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:53 am

He fits the Lakers better than Golden State, so I think he can have a real bounce back year--not literally of course since his vert is under a foot.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:57 am

I am not a fan... Basically because he's a numbskull who damages his teams with tantrums... And he really doesn't play a role... He just sort of does his thing and hope it helps his team.

That said, LeBron, AD, Rondo... If those guys can't keep him focused, no one can.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:05 am

Kilroy wrote:I am not a fan... Basically because he's a numbskull who damages his teams with tantrums... And he really doesn't play a role... He just sort of does his thing and hope it helps his team.

That said, LeBron, AD, Rondo... If those guys can't keep him focused, no one can.

This is about where I'm at with him too.

The financial motivation is a double edged sword. If he isn't getting the time to prop up his max slot aspirations does he still get in line with a team he most likely won't be with next year? We'll see if he's reached that maturity level.

That said, I think he will get a role that will have him as our best player at times because of load leveling and Davis' penchant to be injured.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#7 » by kblo247 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:13 am

Kilroy wrote:I am not a fan... Basically because he's a numbskull who damages his teams with tantrums... And he really doesn't play a role... He just sort of does his thing and hope it helps his team.

Warriors were massively BETTER defensively with Cousins on court in the finals

Warriors With Cousins off court: 122.4 Drtg in 180 minutes
Warriors with Cousins On court: 108.6 DRtg in 108 minutes

I decided to check out Boogie's stats and advanced stats for last year.

16/8/4 in 25min ~ per 36, 23/11/5.

His TS% was just as good as it's ever been, WS/48 just as high as it's ever been. His advanced +- stats are still a plus across the board. And this was his first year coming back from his injury.

Boogies bad rap comes from being Boogie. He caused no problems in Oakland. He played hard after 9 months off and no way to actually train but just do rehab. He tore his quad and came back over 6 weeks early and won a finals game and made the warriors a massively better defensive team when on the floor. The way he played was like a guy who was hobbled and couldn’t train. Conversely the way he played last year on one leg would still have made him the second best guy on this team by some margin.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by AcecardZ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:35 am

Artest was a numbskull also...

“Kobe passed me the ball. Kobe never passes me the ball!”

The rest is history! :)
XXBKXX
Senior
And1: 253

Post#9 » by XXBKXX » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:49 am

Im a big fan of starting your best 5 players (see Randle 2 years ago). With that said, looks like Kuz will be the odd man out and move to 6th man. He'll be first man off the bench which could work well initially if we want to worry about work load with DMC.

Eventually though I could see a potential issue if Kuz keeps eating at DMCs minutes. DMC is in a contract year and is out to send a message to the league to pay him. I dont see Vogel having the disposition to be able to tame DMC. Hes going to have to rely on the team (Bron, AD, Rondo) to get DMC to buy in. I personally think a front court of Kuz and Coussins will work well together. Id like to see Vogel give them some run together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
BK
-----------------------
Lakers / Angels / Dolphins
TJM217
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#10 » by TJM217 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:53 am

I’m meh on the signing. With Javale we have a more switchy defense. DMC can guard 4s maybe?!? So we are resulting to drop coverage which the clips and GSW will murder.

On offense he’s our best center by far. Excellent at rebounds and put backs. Decent roll man. Can make a 3 every once and a while. Not sure if he has any pull out there tho.
Lake Show Baby!!!
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#11 » by Penberthy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:35 am

XXBKXX wrote:Im a big fan of starting your best 5 players (see Randle 2 years ago). With that said, looks like Kuz will be the odd man out and move to 6th man. He'll be first man off the bench which could work well initially if we want to worry about work load with DMC.

Eventually though I could see a potential issue if Kuz keeps eating at DMCs minutes. DMC is in a contract year and is out to send a message to the league to pay him. I dont see Vogel having the disposition to be able to tame DMC. Hes going to have to rely on the team (Bron, AD, Rondo) to get DMC to buy in. I personally think a front court of Kuz and Coussins will work well together. Id like to see Vogel give them some run together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

I don't see the issue. Give Boogie 28 minutes (25 last year) and McGee 20 minutes (22 last year). They both stay healthy and extend their careers. Give Kuz 32 off the bench and pump up his stats by playing mainly against backups.

Caruso (24) Rondo (24) Cook
Green (26) KCP (22) Daniels
Lebron (32) Kuzma (16) THT
AD (32) Kuzma (16) Dudley
Cousins (28) McGee (20)
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#12 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:26 am

I think your estimate is pretty fair, but I do agree with another poster about how he caused no problems in GSW. We'll see how he fits with us, and hopefully our coach / and Lebron (not a shot...I just think Lebron runs alot of offense out there) can figure out ways to get him involved, and utilize him. The guy has a heap of talent.

I think we had to take him. There was literally nobody else left who you could look at and say "he could be an all-star this year". Call it a 5% chance....but the talent is wrapped up in there. I think he's our X-factor this season. If Boogie works with Lebron and AD...then I think we are the best team in NBA.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by AcecardZ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:55 am

We definitely had to take him for the price we got him at.

How foolish would we look and feel if we didn’t take him for the vet min only to see him go elsewhere and have a solid season? There isn’t a team in the league who couldn’t use a player like Cousins on a minimum contract.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,543

Post#14 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:26 pm

I haven’t liked DMC for many of the reasons mentioned above. On a younger team (pre-injury) where he was ‘it’, that was a different story altogether. I’m not worried about it that much.

We needed a low-post big bruising Center who plays defense and sets hard screens, boxes out, rebounds, can get put backs.

If he behaves, which he will with AD, LBJ, Dudley, Green — and yeah, Rondo has a championship mouth on him, too — we got a total steal in this deal, couldn’t possibly wish for a better option at $3.5M.

He has everything to gain from getting and staying in prime shape and showing that he can fit in and be a good team mate.

I smell championship rings if this team stays healthy, gets along. Every championship team has an enforcer bad guy. Check.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#15 » by AdonisDeMarion » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:33 pm

No problems in New Orleans or Golden State.... Y'all will label a BLACK MAN a problem but will overlook WHITE BOYS like Grayson Allen and compound it with he's just misunderstood....

Y'all kill me
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,801

Post#16 » by infintybeyond » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:30 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:

No problems in New Orleans or Golden State.... Y'all will label a BLACK MAN a problem but will overlook WHITE BOYS like Grayson Allen and compound it with he's just misunderstood....

Y'all kill me

This has nothing to do with race. Who the **** is Grayson Allen? He is irrelevant in this league, so no one really cares what he does. DMC was the franchise in SAC, so everything he did was examined and held to a franchise player standard. DMC has had issues in the past in SAC, but I do think those issues were overblown by the media.

If he is healthy, he will be a very good piece especially with his AD chemistry. His biggest issue is his mobility on defense. After those injuries, he looked unplayable on defense. Luckily, LA has AD and JaVale, so DMC, if healthy, can absolutely feast on second units.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:44 pm

I like him because of the price. I also like him because when healthy, he is the strongest post up player in the league. Meaning, we can get alot of kickouts to shooters. I dont like him, because we still have not seen a full season from him yet, which renders all stats useless. Secondly what i dont like is his speed. Im also not entirely sure if he played the whole playoffs. Cant remember if he went down in the playoffs or not with a leg injury. So we shall see this upcoming season if he holds up.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#18 » by NBAWestFan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:48 pm

Demarcus is a baller that was injured during the Playoffs.

He had hardly played any games and game back to play.

He needs to fully recover and then play before he gets hurt again.

He might not be the same guy but should be a better version and in better shape than when he played for the Warriros.

He can ball in the playoffs. Keep him healthy because he can help alot come playoff time.

He is hard to stop. I don't think PG13 or KL is big enough to stop both DMC and AD.

Even if MH can stay with one of them. He cannot guard both. Zubac there is no way he can guard either.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#19 » by mcscotty » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:46 pm

I'm really excited about Boogie. He gets a bad wrap because of the Queens toxic culture. He wasn't the first or last guy to bolt from that place. Like others have said, no problems in New Orleans, Golden State, nor Kentucky. By most accounts, a liked guy around the league. If Boogie can find his range, and get his mobility back to 80-90%, he's going to be a huge asset. Really like his court vision. Probably the best passer on the team behind LBJ and Rondo. Has wonderful hands around the rim and still displayed his superb post moves in the few games I've seen him play this past season. Just needs to come here with a team first mentality. Not worry about getting a big contract in 2020. If him a Davis can get back to where they left off, it's going to be a very good season. Our medical staff and trainers will have a very important role with this team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:53 pm

AdonisDeMarion wrote:

Y'all kill me

My post and this thread had nothing to do with race... If you haven't seen Cousins self-destructive behavior, including New Orleans and Golden State, you're agenda has left you blind. Warned for derailing. - Kilroy
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers