ImageImageImageImageImage

If you were the GM -- your 2019 off season

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

If you were the GM -- your 2019 off season 

Post#1 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:41 pm

Earlier today I asked Dat how he would have handled this off-season. What his moves would have been if he were the Wizards GM. Doc then asked me what I would have done.

This seemed like a fun idea; so anyone can pitch in. Please outline your off-season. Starting from the final days of last season -- when we signed Jordan McRae & Tarik Phillip to non-guaranteed contracts, what would you have done? How would you have handled the draft? What undrafted guys would you have brought on? What would you have done w/ Sato, Parker, Portis & any other players from last year about whom decisions needed to be made?

What would our roster be? & how much would it all cost?

As to the draft, since this is all fantasy anyway, you are allowed to make any draft-pick trades you like, as long as they are close to equal using Pelton's list of draft pick values at http://nbasense.com/draft-pick-trade-value/2/kevin-pelton-2. You are also (of course) able to use the actual move by which we purchased the #42 pick -- but you can pick anyone you want.

As to deals after the draft -- obviously, we can't know what kinds of deals are available (e.g. the deal w/ the Lakers). You can certainly use anything that actually happened. Other deals would need to be pass an ordinary "common sense" test. To keep close to reality, I'll stipulate that there be no Brad Beal trades!

I know more or less what I'd have done. But I'm going to hold off at least until tomorrow. I'm especially interested in what Dat, nate, Ruz, Doc, & all of you come up with who have had strong responses to our actual moves! Have at it!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: If you were the GM -- your 2019 off season 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:42 am

1. Trade with Boston from 9 to 14/20
2. Use trade exceptions to acquire Ilyasova & DiVincenzo and the 30 from Milwaukee for Aaron White.
3. Acquire Simmons & 42 from Philadelphia.
4. Trade 30/42 to Cleveland move up to 26
5. Draft Goga @ 14, Clarke @ 20, Windler @ 26.
6. Resign Bryant 4 yrs - 32 mil
7. Trade Sato to Chicago for multiple 2nd rounders.
8. Use trade exceptions to acquire Wagner, Bonga, Jones for a 2nd rounder
9. Sign Noah Vonleh to 2 year BAE deal with team option on 2nd year.
9. Sign Delon Wright to full MLE sized deal over 4 years 42 mil ... trade 2 future 2nds to Memphis
10. Sign Jake Layman to $5 mil over 3 years ... trade Howard and future 2nd to Portland.
12. Sign Shamorie Ponds & Ethan Happ to two way contracts.

G D. Wright ... T. Brown Jr ... Wall
G Beal ... DiVincenzo ... McRae
F Layman ... Windler ... Je. Jones
F Ilyasova ... Clarke ... Vonleh
C Bryant ... Bitadze ... Wagner ... Mahinmi
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#3 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:51 am

Dat2U wrote:1. Trade with Boston from 9 to 14/20
2. Use trade exceptions to acquire Ilyasova & DiVincenzo and the 30 from Milwaukee for Aaron White.
9. Sign Delon Wright to full MLE sized deal over 4 years 42 mil ... trade 2 future 2nds to Memphis
10. Sign Jake Layman to $5 mil over 3 years ... trade Howard and future 2nd to Portland.

Screen cap this and blast it on #Wizards twitter. I'd like to see what the Domo brehs of the world tweet at you. :lol:
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#4 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:57 am

FAH1223 wrote:

Screen cap this and blast it on #Wizards twitter. I'd like to see what the Domo brehs of the world tweet at you. :lol:

They'd hate it. Anyone who doesn't average over 18 ppg is just a fringe guy in their opinion and a waste of salary. :lol:

I think my lineup is missing a true starting SF. I just couldn't find any affordable options. This team is supposed to miss the playoffs but the youth, energy & skill makes us quite competitive and if one or two young guys outperform their draft standing then its potentially a solid team.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#5 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:24 am

Dat2U wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

They'd hate it. Anyone who doesn't average over 18 ppg is just a fringe guy in their opinion and a waste of salary. :lol:

I think my lineup is missing a true starting SF. I just couldn't find any affordable options. This team is supposed to miss the playoffs but the youth, energy & skill makes us quite competitive and if one or two young guys outperform their draft standing then its potentially a solid team.

Super -- & not that different from my route (which I'll put in tomorrow). But, 3 problems:

1. The Pelton values don't allow 14 & 20 for #9 -- we're giving 45.75 & getting 57.50. But, #s20 & 22 fit perfectly. How would you address this problem?
2. Didn't Milwaukee do better than your deal? Moreover, they didn't trade Ilyasova or Divincenzo -- what's to make us think they do your deal?
3. Layman went to Minny on a 3 year /$11.5m deal; I don't think we get him for less than half that, do we? :)

Come on guys, lets see another version at the same level of specificity.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#6 » by giberish » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:04 am

As an outside consultant (board fan of another team) here would be my rough offseason. Might end up in the luxury tax but I think under the hard cap.

Draft:
9 - Sekou Doumbouya -> BPA and hopefully long-term starting PF.
42 (after trade) Schofield

Resign Bryant 4/$32M is reasonable
Resign Sato 3/$$28M (full MLE money)
Make LAL deal for Bonga/Jones/Wagner
Sign Danual House for 4/$28M Not sure how Houston resigned him so cheap.
Sign Trey Lyles 2yr/BAE
Sign best min salary backup PG. Lin if he's willing (probably not but for this I'm too lazy to figure out who would actually be gettable).

Sato/Lin/Bonga/Wall
Beal/Brown
House/Schofield/Jones
Sekou/Lyles
Bryant/Wagner/Howard/Mahinmi

Credible starters on good contracts for 4 positions. Backup options questionable but either cheap or existing problems (Don't trade Howard for Miles as Miles was useless last year and more expensive). PF is the big issue. Like Sekou a lot long-term but he's raw. Would prefer he be brought along slower but might have to force-feed minutes. Maybe get a more solid but dull vet PF like Tolliver rather then Lyles (Vonleh might also be a better choice but wanted to get creative).
payitforward
RealGM

Post#7 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks, giberish (great handle btw!). A lot of people here wanted Sekou at #9.

IMO, you'd have to be very secure in your job as a GM to be planning to start Danuel House at one forward, backed up by a rookie R2 pick, & the 18 year old Sekou at the other forward, backed up by Trey Lyles (not sure why you like him...).

BTW, Sato went for 3 years at $30m. Obviously, we can't have him for less. Other than that, all the above would have been possible.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:58 pm

One other point about Dat's off-season & this whole game I've created:

I would expect anyone/everyone to do better than Tommy Sheppard. Why? Because we are looking back at what actually happened in the draft & can arrange trades, etc. to get to the exact spots that it turned out we would need to be in order to pick the guys we want.

Tommy Sheppard, OTOH, operated in a context of uncertainty -- as did every other GM.

That's one reason why I set the stipulation that trades at least have to follow closely Pelton's list of pick values. If those are close to accurate, they indicate that it is always or at least usually sensible to make a given trade of pick positions -- before you know exactly who is going to be available at a given spot.

In any case, dat, what if the best trade you could do with Boston was our #9 for their #s 20 & 22? At 20, you still pick Clarke, lucky you.

Yet... this is the perfect example of the difference between trading under uncertainty vs. trading when you know exactly who'll be available. When you or I made that trade -- which I'd have done too -- we'd have assumed it meant we would NOT get Clarke. We wouldn't have been doing it IN ORDER TO get him!

Still... going on, who do you take at #22? Again, in a context of uncertainty, you might well take the guy you want at #26, Dylan Windler.

So, now, in retrospect your off-season is just as you have it -- except no Goga Bitadze! & some other moves change as well.

OTOH, rereading Dat's off season, I think he means $5m a year to Layman -- which is fine, it's a raise over the $11.75m/3 year deal he got. So I withdraw that objection.

Worth noting that we trade away 4 R2 picks in this scenario -- I'm not sure we have those picks to trade.... Maybe, if you took Windler @22, you use the assets you picked up trading w/ Milwaukee (except that trade too is speculative) & Philly to acquire Delon Wright?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:40 pm

First, while I like Dat's plan, there's no way Milwaukee would do that trade. They're going to need both Ilyasova and DDV.

- Re-sign McRae and pass on signing Phillip (and Randle).
- Draft Doumbouya.
- Buy a second rounder to use on Bol Bol (or do Dat's trade with Philly for pick 42 and use the pick on Bol).
- Sign Emanual Mudiay to a 3 year deal. (He signed a make good deal with Utah for 1/1.7) instead of Ish Smith.
- Go with the deal Sheppard made with LAL.
- Go with the deal Sheppard made re Sato.
- Go with the deal Sheppard made re Bertans.
- Go with Sheppard's excellent re-signing of Bryant.
- Heck, I'll go with the Isaiah signing.
- Re-signed Jeff Green.
- Cut Dwight Howard and Mahinmi.
- Give Devin Robinson another chance.
- Sign Justin Robinson

1. Thomas, Mudiay, Ju Robinson, Bonga
2. Beal, McRae
3. Brown Jr, Green, Je Jones
4. Doumbouya, Bertans, De Robinson
5. Bryant, Bol, Wagner
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#10 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:45 pm

My strategy isn't all that different from what we did in real life because I'm starting to like the Hachimura pick.

1. Trade down from #9 to the 12-14 range and add another pick. Let's assume it's with Charlotte for #12 and #36.
2. Buy Simmons and the #42 pick from Philly for cash.
3. Make the Lakers deal for Bonga/Jones/Wagner and the 2nd round pick
4. Draft Hachimura at #12
5. Trade #36 and #42 for the #28 and draft Keldon Johnson
6. Sign Justin Robinson
7. Resign Bryant to 4/36. (I don't think 4/32 is realistic. He signed a 3/25 deal. To get the 4th year, it would cost.)
8. Resign Sato to 3/30 with the last season only $5M guaranteed.
9. Sign Noah Vonleh with a portion of the MLE: 3/10M
10. Resign Jabari Parker with Bird Rights: 3/21 with third year a TO
11. Cut Howard. Hope someone signs him for the vet minimum so we get back $2.3M in luxtax flexibility
12. Sign Iman Shumpert to a 1-year deal at $3M
13. Retain McRae

PG Sato/Robinson
SG Beal/K.Johnson
SF Brown Jr./Shumpert
PF Hachimura/Parker
C Bryant/Vonleh
End of Bench: Wagner, McRae, Mahinmi, Bonga, Wall

My team is like our current team, banking on the development of Hachimura, Bryant and Brown; except it also has Keldon Johnson who I think is a legit mid first round talent. It also has young veterans with upside in Jabari Parker and Vonleh, signed to team friendly deals for the next 3 years. Even if they never take it to the next level, they're still quality role players in this league and worth their contracts. Finally, the team has a couple of stable vets in Sato and Shumpert as lead-by-example guys who play the right way. McRae and Wagner are useful situational players at the end of the bench. A big weakness is backup PG, but Brown can soak up some minutes there or maybe Justin Robinson surprises to the upside.

The team won't suck this year though they will miss the playoffs. But everyone except Shumpert and Sato should improve over the next few years and they're all affordable for 3 more years. Shumpert and Mahinmi come off the books next year and the cap jumps, so there's some more flexibility. Next year, Wall gets back, Sato moves to backup both the 1 and 2, Johnson becomes a backup 2/3 and the entire front court improves as they mature.

I really believe that Parker can become a trade chip down the road. Guys that can score in this league have real value, and Parker can get buckets. If he just performs like he did in March and April, he will be an asset at that contract. It's why I went with Parker instead of taking the Bertans deal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#11 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:58 pm

Here's what I do:

I sign Phillip & McRae to unguaranteed contracts, as Tommy did. It's insurance, given I'm going to try to make some bold moves.

Draft:
I try to trade our #9 for Boston's #s 14 & 20, but Ainge points out that by doing so I am violating the rules of PIF's game, so he has to say no. So, I take #s20 & 22 instead. Then, I call my friends at SA & trade my #22 to them for their #s 29 & 49 & their R2 pick next year. This works on the Pelton scale. Then I do Tommy's deal with Philly.

I take Brandon Clarke (#20), Keldon Johnson (#29), Bol Bol (#42), & Quinndary Weatherspoon (#49). I sign Robinson undrafted. I sign 2 of Ponds, Happ & Garrison the Pale to SL contracts)

After the draft, like Dat I...
Resign Bryant 4 yrs - 32 mil
Trade Sato to Chicago for multiple 2nd rounders.
Use trade exceptions to acquire Wagner, Bonga, Jones & a 2022 2nd rounder
Sign Noah Vonleh to 2 year BAE deal with team option on 2nd year.
Sign Jake Layman to $5 mil/year for 3 years. If needed to keep under tax, I do the deal as a sign and trade with Portland in which they take Howard off my hands, & I include the 2022 R2 pick I just acquired.
Sign and trade with Memphis for Delon Wright on a full MLE.

I cut McRae & Phillip.

PG D. Wright / Robinson / Wall / Bonga
SG Beal / T. Brown Jr / Johnson / Weatherspoon
F Layman / T. Brown Jr / Je. Jones
F Vonleh / Clarke / Wagner
C Bryant / Wagner / Bol Bol / Mahinmi

(Can't figure out how to get Bertans in there. Plus I have 16 guys.... Maybe Bonga to SA for Bertans? Do they still create the room they needed?)
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#12 » by Eli Babak » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:02 pm

1) Hire Ernie Grunfeld as my assistant

2) Trade #9/Mahinmi/Howard to OKC for #21/Schröder/Patterson and cash for #42/Simmons
"For this season Schröder is a terrific replacement for Wall and the year after that he'll likely be the 6th man of the year."
"PatPat is a local guy and good vet."

3) Draft Nassir Little @21 and Bol Bol @42
"Little is athletic monster and Bol has so much potential."

4) Let Sato walk because S&Ts are too complicated and my plane is waiting

5) Sign
- Thomas Bryant to a 3y/30M deal (3rd year PO) - "youth is important to us"
- Isaiah Thomas 2y/6M (2nd year PO) - "he'll prove doubters wrong"
- Bobby Portis 4y/50M - "a modern big who can shoot, rebound and score"
- Melo, Monta Ellis & Amare Stoudemire to vet minimum - "bargains and they'll give us the boost we need in order to make the playoffs"
- don't waive McRae & Simmons - "the more vets, the better - and to be honest I thought we got Ben instead of Jonathon"

Schröder / Thomas / Wall
Beal / McRae / Ellis
Simmons / Brown / Little
Melo / Patterson / Stoudemire
Bryant / Portis / Bol

And finally on July 2nd I fly to the Bahamas!

:( I'm sorry. Maybe I do a serious one later.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:09 pm

Ok so no Milwaukee trade. I'm ok with the Bertans deal instead.

For Boston, if their only offering the 20, 22 they need
would have needed come up with another asset or pick. Maybe a future 2nd. I'd go Clarke & Windler.

The picks used to acquire Delon come from the Sato deal.

The pick sent to Portland comes from the Wagner deal.

I'd do the deal for the #42 and draft Bol Bol since I missed out on Bitadze.

The Shumpert deal at 1 yr makes alot of sense, he can swing b/w the 2/3

G Delon Wright ... Troy Brown Jr ... John Wall
G Bradley Beal ... Iman Shumpert ... Jordan McRae
F Jake Layman ... Dylan Windler ... Jermerrio Jones
F Davis Bertans ... Brandon Clarke ... Noah Vonleh
C Thomas Bryant ... Bol Bol ... Moritz Wagner

This team may be a little better than the original
albeit Bol is a much more riskier bet than Bitadze.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#14 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:22 pm

Nate -- who do you pick if Minny takes Hachimura at #11?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#15 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:27 pm

Ruz -- 2 problems:

1. You have 15 guys not including Wall.
2. You cut just over $21m in salary; the guys go away, but the $$ obligation doesn't. Is this roster in the tax? Do we simply pay it this year? Part of paying for Ernie's mistakes?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#16 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:38 pm

Dat2U wrote:...For Boston, if their only offering the 20, 22 they need
would have needed come up with another asset or pick. Maybe a future 2nd. I'd go Clarke & Windler....

Not according to Pelton's framework....

(Gotta use something -- otherwise it's too subjective)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#17 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:49 pm

Dat -- where did you hide Mahinmi? Bonga?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:57 pm

payitforward wrote:Nate -- who do you pick if Minny takes Hachimura at #11?

Clarke
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:01 pm

BTW, I love Dat2U's idea of basically trading Sato for Wright. I was going to do that myself but I didn't want to copy him. The one small downside is that it takes up the MLE. I could use the BAE on Vonleh instead, but then it could only be a 2-year deal. I would be unable to sign Shumpert (unless he took the minimum, which is unlikely).
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#20 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:02 pm

Ok so here's my wild scenario where Ted says build a winner right now or else!

Trade 9 for 20/22. Draft Clarke & Windler.
Acquire 42nd from Philly. Draft Bol.
Resign Bryant 4 yrs - 32 mil
Trade Sato for multiple 2nds.
Use multiple 2nds to S&T for D. Wright.
Acquire Bertans via trade exception.

***Trade Wall, Mahinmi & 3 unprotected picks in 2020, 2022 & 2024 for Westbrook & Gallinari.***

Sign Kyle O'Quinn to vet minimum.

New roster:

Westbrook ... T. Brown Jr
Beal ... D. Wright ... McRae
Gallinari ... Layman ... Windler
Bertans ... Clarke ... Vonleh
Bryant ... O'Quinn ... Bol

Gotta fire Brooks too. I'd hire Dave Joerger as head coach.

If you can get Westbrook to tone down the shot selection a tad, this is a really good team.

Return to Washington Wizards