ImageImageImage

Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 8,423
And1: 5,200
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#1 » by Han Solo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:18 pm

I thought for sure he would be league minimum. Couldn’t even get playing time on Pelicans and couldn’t start here when we gift wrapped the starting SF position. We could go on for days at how bad he was here. Shocked.
Image
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,321
And1: 4,068
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#2 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:22 pm

Nah, he's still an 8 OA pick who was on a bad developmental team. There was always going to be somebody who would think they could fix him.

Kid has probably been humbled a bit as well, could be the right situation now. Only issue I have with landing in TO is he won't get much PF minutes there.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,190
And1: 7,776
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#3 » by Manocad » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:34 pm

The who got what?
Image
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,321
And1: 4,068
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#4 » by Kilo » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:44 pm

$7.5M total for two seasons, second year a PO. So basically one year $3M and he opts out if healthy and showed anything.
mattao313
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,414
And1: 2,499
Joined: Aug 29, 2014
       

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#5 » by mattao313 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:00 pm

Kilo wrote:Nah, he's still an 8 OA pick who was on a bad developmental team. There was always going to be somebody who would think they could fix him.

Kid has probably been humbled a bit as well, could be the right situation now. Only issue I have with landing in TO is he won't get much PF minutes there.

The guy had every chance here to show something. He sucks has nothing to do with 'bad development'. I was happy when we drafted him but I was wrong he isnt a NBA player.
Championships
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,538
And1: 3,057
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:02 pm

Nice landing spot for him tbh

Really disappointed he couldn't develop a jumper in his time here.

I had high hopes for him based on intangibles...seems he always had the will but couldn't hone the skills

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,510
And1: 4,888
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:14 pm

Yes.
kellmellus50
Starter
Posts: 2,100
And1: 85
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#8 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:49 pm

LOL now we will clearly beat Toronto in the playoffs.
You have to live,dance,party,and always have fun with everyone.http://buzzlamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/sbBoob1.gif
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 7,927
And1: 819
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:35 am

mattao313 wrote:
Kilo wrote:Nah, he's still an 8 OA pick who was on a bad developmental team. There was always going to be somebody who would think they could fix him.

Kid has probably been humbled a bit as well, could be the right situation now. Only issue I have with landing in TO is he won't get much PF minutes there.

The guy had every chance here to show something. He sucks has nothing to do with 'bad development'. I was happy when we drafted him but I was wrong he isnt a NBA player.


This.

Stanley isn't a victim of poor development, he literally peaked in summer league his rookie year. He never got any better in any facet of the game. SVG gave Stanley plenty enough minutes, and tried him in several different roles.

Good for Stanley for getting another half decent contract, but I'm glad it wasn't Detroit that gave it to him.
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,321
And1: 4,068
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#10 » by Kilo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:46 am

We'll see. Here he was the #8 OA pick, now in Toronto he's a $3M one year free agent signing. He might be more willing to play to a niche than he was here where he was always compared to Booker and what could have been. Johnson is 4 months older than 2019 FRP Brandon Clarke the book on him is still largely unwritten. He was finished here, but I like the price and opportunity for a fresh start for any other franchise. Maybe a different style coach can unlock him.
User avatar
Uncle Mxy
Head Coach
Posts: 7,469
And1: 771
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: I plead the Fifth Dimension

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#11 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:03 pm

Kilo wrote:$7.5M total for two seasons, second year a PO. So basically one year $3M and he opts out if healthy and showed anything.

Who the heck were they competing against?

Who else was gonna make him a $6+ million dollar man?
User avatar
Liqourish
RealGM
Posts: 14,102
And1: 1,812
Joined: Oct 03, 2005
       

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#12 » by Liqourish » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:18 pm

Not really. He basically got a cheap prove it deal for a young guy with some flashes of ability. Seeing these other contracts being thrown around, I’m surprised he only signed for two years.
User avatar
DetroitDon15
Head Coach
Posts: 7,410
And1: 110
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: How in the world do I still have a job?

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#13 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:50 am

Toronto overpaid yes but when I saw a guy like Reggie Bullock get 10 mill per. I said all bets are off. Min contract shoulda made sense to be honest.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
flow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,664
And1: 964
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#14 » by flow » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:14 pm

He can probably thank Spencer Dinwiddie for that contract.

The board thought he was just a terrible player, too. Turns out, he's not. It's amazing the impact coaching can have.

Drafting wasn't SVG's problem.
Han Solo
General Manager
Posts: 8,423
And1: 5,200
Joined: Jan 07, 2011
Contact:
     

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#15 » by Han Solo » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:51 pm

flow wrote:He can probably thank Spencer Dinwiddie for that contract.

The board thought he was just a terrible player, too. Turns out, he's not. It's amazing the impact coaching can have.

Drafting wasn't SVG's problem.

Nah. Stanley can’t shoot, can’t dribble, and can’t finish at the rim. He can barely dunk the ball and he’s 6’6. He also overthinks everything on offense. He is terrible. If someone unlocks his “potential”, I will be completely shocked
Image
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 7,927
And1: 819
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#16 » by thesack12 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:04 pm

Spencer Dinwiddie played a total of 614 minutes across 46 games his 2 seasons in Detroit.

For Detroit Stanley Johnson played 1687 minutes (73 games) his rookie season, 1371 minutes (77 games) his second season, 1894 minutes (69 games) his third season, and 961 minutes (48 games) last season. Total 5,913 minutes in 267 games.

Other than being former Piston players now with different teams, there isn't a correlation to be made here.
flow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,664
And1: 964
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#17 » by flow » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:35 pm

thesack12 wrote:Spencer Dinwiddie played a total of 614 minutes across 46 games his 2 seasons in Detroit.

For Detroit Stanley Johnson played 1687 minutes (73 games) his rookie season, 1371 minutes (77 games) his second season, 1894 minutes (69 games) his third season, and 961 minutes (48 games) last season. Total 5,913 minutes in 267 games.

Other than being former Piston players now with different teams, there isn't a correlation to be made here.

They were both rookies coached by Stan Van Gundy. That's the correlation. The fact that Stanley was subjected to more of it than Spencer was doesn't diminish the correlation.
thesack12
General Manager
Posts: 7,927
And1: 819
Joined: Jun 06, 2008
Location: N DA NAP
     

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:46 pm

flow wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Spencer Dinwiddie played a total of 614 minutes across 46 games his 2 seasons in Detroit.

For Detroit Stanley Johnson played 1687 minutes (73 games) his rookie season, 1371 minutes (77 games) his second season, 1894 minutes (69 games) his third season, and 961 minutes (48 games) last season. Total 5,913 minutes in 267 games.

Other than being former Piston players now with different teams, there isn't a correlation to be made here.

They were both rookies coached by Stan Van Gundy. That's the correlation. The fact that Stanley was subjected to more of it doesn't lessen the correlation.


You realize that Stanley sucked under Dwane Casey, and sucked while barely getting off the bench under Alvin Gentry right?

Darrun Hilliard, Michael Gbinje, Henry Ellenson all have the same correlation you mention yet none of those guys have exactly had thriving NBA careers after moving away from Stan Van Gundy. Hell, Luke Kennard only received a minutes bump of 2.8 per game under Casey than Stan gave him as a rookie. Plus Luke's shooting percentages went down across the board this season.

Dinwiddie is an outlier dude. He didn't have the opportunities in Detroit. Sure part of that is on Stan, but to be fair Spencer was injured for a sizable portion of his time in Detroit and when he did get on the floor he was absolutely dreadful.
hoophabit
Analyst
Posts: 3,406
And1: 1,226
Joined: Jan 19, 2002
 

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#19 » by hoophabit » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:23 pm

Not really. SJ is a 'Cadillac' defensive specialist. He'll go body to body with anyone. Sadly, he's not a starting 3. The Pistons have been desperate for a 3 with a reliable offensive game. New candidates this year Tony and Svi ...?
User avatar
The Moose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,302
And1: 2,567
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: AUSTRALIA
   

Re: Anyone else surprised with how much money Stanley Johnson got? 

Post#20 » by The Moose » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Go check out the Raptors thread on Stanley.
Man they are in for a disappointment
Luka Doncic and Cedi Osman Fan Club member

Return to Detroit Pistons