ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#281 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:25 pm

queridiculo wrote:So I'm watching these Hachimura highlights, and I get it, it's the best of what he has to offer, but I do wonder, where's this notion come from that he doesn't have a feel for the game?

I see him manipulate defenders with pump fakes, using moves to set them up for counters, knowing exactly where his spots are to get shots off cleanly. He seems to have a keen understanding for where his defenders are and is using angles to give himself a better chance at finishing. On top of that he seems to have a far better feel passing the ball than people want to give him credit for.

This doesn't look like a kid that lacks a feel to me.

His frame isn't indicative of how strong he is. You don't really see him get muscled and he's got a surprising physicality to him, uses his body really well.

Can't wait to see him play in the summer league against NBA level athletes.

Rui already has an excellent midrange shooting game and is very impressive (for a big man) handling the ball in the open court on the break. These highlights also show him making a couple of nice passes to wing players while running the break.

I’m looking forward to shouting the rallying cry HACHIMURA! whenever Rui scores or makes a good play. :)
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#282 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:04 pm

DCZards wrote:
queridiculo wrote:So I'm watching these Hachimura highlights, and I get it, it's the best of what he has to offer, but I do wonder, where's this notion come from that he doesn't have a feel for the game?

I see him manipulate defenders with pump fakes, using moves to set them up for counters, knowing exactly where his spots are to get shots off cleanly. He seems to have a keen understanding for where his defenders are and is using angles to give himself a better chance at finishing. On top of that he seems to have a far better feel passing the ball than people want to give him credit for.

His frame isn't indicative of how strong he is. You don't really see him get muscled and he's got a surprising physicality to him, uses his body really well.

Rui already has an excellent midrange shooting game and is very impressive (for a big man) handling the ball in the open court on the break. These highlights also show him making a couple of nice passes to wing players while running the break.

I’m looking forward to shouting the rallying cry HACHIMURA! whenever Rui scores or makes a good play. :)

八 村

Hachi Mura means "Eight Villages".
Rui means "Kind".
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#283 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:22 am

After watching him last night, I’m honestly not expecting anything from him this year. He has a lot of the intangibles that make him potentially intriguing long term. Good attitude, good frame.

But he seems like much of what the scouts were concerned about. A little slow on recognition - especially on D. No shooting range as of yet. Average athleticism. Mediocre feel for the game.

The biggest thing going for him is that he’s only been playing for 8 or 9 years. Maybe he can develop.

In any event, I don’t hate the guy, but I think he was over-drafted especially with Herro and Sekou on the board.
In Rizzo we trust
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#284 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:53 am

JWizmentality wrote:

Thank you! He also seems pretty competent on defense imo. Rewatching the Gonzaga Duke game and he handled Zion pretty darn well when he matched up with him. Zion wasn't able to out-muscle or over power him at all. Rui is going to surprise quite a few people.

Your describing learned skills. Hachimura has an advanced mid range game. He's obviously been taught well. That has nothing to do with having instincts for rebounding, rotating on defense & awareness of other teammates. He's gotten better at finding teammates but its not instinctive. He's going to have a negative assist to TO ratio.

We'll see how he develops. I think he's further away from expanding his range than I had hoped. I assume he'll start off getting rotation minutes next season so he'll get plenty of opportunities to figure things out.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#285 » by Halcyon » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:59 am

I'm not going to extrapolate much from his first summer league game.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#286 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:38 am

I understand the concerns about his range, but let's put it in perspective. He made 40%+ of his 3's last year. So he's not starting with nothing. Is it on low volume? Yes. But he has made 3's.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#287 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:11 am

Hachimura said after the game that he hasn’t played organized basketball in months (keep in mind he didn’t do any pre-draft workouts).

Not taking much of anything away from SL bc he’s probably just using these games for conditioning. Preseason will be a lot more instructive because by then he would have met his actual Wizards teammates and had time to learn the plays.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#288 » by prime1time » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 am

Looking at Rui's games in Summer League it's hard not to get excited. He came out and did exactly what he needed to do.

Got better every game. Made two 3's his last game. So a couple things jump out. Rui's defensive issues have been vastly overstated. Some scouts and posters in this thread claimed that Rui was so bad defensively, that he might not even see the floor because his defense was so atrocious. Now he certainly was beaten here and there off the dribble by smaller guards. But he also won a lot of battles. In addition, he had multiple impressive blocks that demonstrate significant potential to be a rim protector. I could make a long post about what Rui's projects as an offensive player. But it's probably easier just to let him speak for himself.
Read on Twitter

This is a player that is supremely confident. I know this team likes to take draft picks slow, but I don't really see how they are going to keep this guy on the bench. We simply do not have the talent.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#289 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 am

Was there anyone who expected this guy to be hitting pull-up 3s?

Read on Twitter

But I’m most impressed with his hustle plays like this one. Rui is fearless and consistently makes an effort to finish possessions - that’s the same “it” factor I saw in John and Brad when they were rookies

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#290 » by Ferulci » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

Bulls fan here. I wanted us to pick Rui with n°7 but well....
Congrats, you've got a gem with that one. If he can work on his tunnel vision, I'm willing to bet he'll be allstar one day.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,574

Post#291 » by oldshoolballer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am

Rui seems to be quieting a lot of the haters The guy is the real deal very high IQ high efficiency shooter There are weaknesses he gets tunnel vision sometimes has to improve as a playmaker The defense is not as bad as a lot of people say The rebounding will improve,For someone his age he still has room for growth.What I love about him he hates losing Wiz got a good one.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,064

Post#292 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#293 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:Rui seems to be quieting a lot of the haters The guy is the real deal very high IQ high efficiency shooter There are weaknesses he gets tunnel vision sometimes has to improve as a playmaker The defense is not as bad as a lot of people say The rebounding will improve,For someone his age he still has room for growth.What I love about him he hates losing Wiz got a good one.

True, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. A lot of players there putting up numbers won't make it in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#294 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:Rui seems to be quieting a lot of the haters The guy is the real deal very high IQ high efficiency shooter There are weaknesses he gets tunnel vision sometimes has to improve as a playmaker The defense is not as bad as a lot of people say The rebounding will improve,For someone his age he still has room for growth.What I love about him he hates losing Wiz got a good one.

You probably didn't mean anything serious by the term, but I don't think there were a lot of Rui "haters." It's possible to think there's a better way to manage the draft than we did, a way that gets you more talent (including maybe Rui & more) than simply picking Rui Hachimura at #9.

It seems to be really hard to get across the difference between not liking a pick & not liking the player who was picked. Yet, the two aren't the same. In fact, they aren't related at all.

Still, you're right, it's great to see Rui Hachimura play well, & if he really does "improve with every possession," as Tommy claimed in his in-game interview, well... that'll be fun to watch!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#295 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 pm

it's tough for someone to show out in summer league bc everyone is looking to make a splash. it's doubly tough if you're a wing bc the pg has control over the ball, and the big man can show out on defense.

wings basically have to run the break, rain their 3's, or make the most with what they have when they get the ball, typically with very little time left on the shot clock.
Bullets -> Wizards
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#296 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Would love for them to bring in someone to mentor this kid. Think someone mentioned Bernard King. Who is our current big man coach?
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#297 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:19 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Would love for them to bring in someone to mentor this kid. Think someone mentioned Bernard King. Who is our current big man coach?

I think players learn faster when there’s a vet on the team who can show by example.

Paul Millsap is an FA next season and I’d love for them to pursue him on a 1yr deal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#298 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 am

Rui has looked pretty good in the SL (great last game) but let's not declare him a star because he's dominating mostly G-Leaguers. Next step is the preseason and if he keeps improving, he will prove the haters wrong or whatever that means and play a lot of minutes next season. The so-called haters have critiqued every player in this draft outside of Zion and Morant to the nth degree. I hate to agree with PIF but I'm one of those who didn't love the pick because I was hoping to trade down or at least take a chance on Sekou, who I guess hasn't played due to a hamstring injury. I'm happy he's played well, he seems like a great kid and wants to get better.

If he's going to play some three, he's going to have to work on his ballhandling. Defense is solid but he's not Kawhi. Nobody really but the long arms and big hands will help.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 937

Post#299 » by jangles86 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 am

Already more excited about Rui as a prospect then I was about Otto Porter or Kelly Oubre.

Looks a lot stronger then both of them and looks to have a far tougher mindset then both.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#300 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:50 am

I think Rui's ceiling is substantially higher than Otto's or Kelly's.

Return to Washington Wizards