ImageImageImage

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,197

2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: ValleyBoyz are back! 

Post#1 » by King4Day » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:26 am

And the story continues
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Re: 2019 Post draft, free agency, and trade speculation: Oooo where Bre goin? 

Post#2 » by carey » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:41 am

Do we think Okobo makes it to the season opener? He was on the Summer League promotional materials and has yet to even see the floor tonight.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,355

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:47 am

carey wrote:Do we think Okobo makes it to the season opener? He was on the Summer League promotional materials and has yet to even see the floor tonight.

He's playing now. It doesn't seem like most people think he makes it, but I kind of doubt they get rid of him unless they feel they really need the roster spot given his guaranteed contract. I think he will just be more or less an end of bench development guy.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#4 » by carey » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:
He's playing now. It doesn't seem like most people think he makes it, but I kind of doubt they get rid of him unless they feel they really need the roster spot given his guaranteed contract. I think he will just be more or less an end of bench development guy.

I just saw him check in on the stream. I'm delayed a bit. Strange they waited so long.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#5 » by Flying Colors » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:11 am

at this point the most i’d Sign Oubre for is 12 million per year
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#6 » by bwoolf2 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:13 am

Flying Colors wrote:at this point the most i’d Sign Oubre for is 12 million per year

I wouldn't mind over paying a little to keep him happy but 12 right now is an overpay, hell 10 is an overpay based on what's available on the market now.
KLEON
Analyst
And1: 1,943

Post#7 » by KLEON » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:21 am

Morey really wants to have Westbrick and Harden on the same team LOL, go ahead sir do it, please do it
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#8 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:22 am

As long as they don’t lower their offer they will have played it right but I’m sure we’ll the the usual suspects with their Sarver takes. The pressure is on Kelly to get this done.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#9 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:08 am

carey wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I just saw him check in on the stream. I'm delayed a bit. Strange they waited so long.
Id guess it was some type of minor punishment for being late or dogging it in practice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#10 » by Flying Colors » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:31 am

With the Griz signing Tyus Jones for 8mil a year, seems like the last hope for Oubre getting big contract is gone, The market just isn't there for him. Hopefully there are no hard feelings and whatever contract he agrees to with the Suns is a cap friendly one
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,609

Post#11 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:47 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
Flying Colors wrote:at this point the most i’d Sign Oubre for is 12 million per year

I wouldn't mind over paying a little to keep him happy but 12 right now is an overpay, hell 10 is an overpay based on what's available on the market now.

More than happy for him to bet on himself and play on the QO next season
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:55 am

Flying Colors wrote:With the Griz signing Tyus Jones for 8mil a year, seems like the last hope for Oubre getting big contract is gone, The market just isn't there for him. Hopefully there are no hard feelings and whatever contract he agrees to with the Suns is a cap friendly one

I wonder if TWolves will match. I expect they will unless they plan on trading for Westbrook, but that would have to happen fast. Would be surprised if they don't match.

I wonder how much the Wolves offered him though because it seems they would have at least gotten up to around that amount.

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#13 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Flying Colors wrote:With the Griz signing Tyus Jones for 8mil a year, seems like the last hope for Oubre getting big contract is gone, The market just isn't there for him. Hopefully there are no hard feelings and whatever contract he agrees to with the Suns is a cap friendly one

I wonder if TWolves will match. I expect they will unless they plan on trading for Westbrook, but that would have to happen fast. Would be surprised if they don't match.

I wonder how much the Wolves offered him though because it seems they would have at least gotten up to around that amount.

Read on Twitter
Yeah I think they match. Wonder if that deal has a player option for year 3. Those 2+1 are the ultimate go get a match, get paid, and leave in two years as a UFA deal. It's the most player friendly RFA contract structure.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:09 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter
Yeah I think they match. Wonder if that deal has a player option for year 3. Those 2+1 are the ultimate go get a match, get paid, and leave in two years as a UFA deal. It's the most player friendly RFA contract structure.

I'm a little surprised they didn't match Wright. Jones might be better overall as a lead guard, but unless they are sure they can get him, they are risking going with Ja as the starter with Melton as the backup I think....though maybe I forgot about someone.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,632

Post#15 » by Qwigglez » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:20 am

I thought the podcast these guys did on Kelly Oubre a couple months ago was pretty good. They went over why he helped the Suns, and what he can do to improve.

Oubre has never been a good short-midrange shooter from 3-10 feet throughout his career (34% from this range for his career), and I don't expect that to change much. However he's done a good job at the rim shooting 63% at the rim. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Compare that to someone like Ariza who shot 61% at the rim throughout his career (an abysmal 49% when he was with the Suns). Middleton shoots 61% at the rim, and Paul George shoots 63% at the rim too. Paul George actually shoots pretty poorly from 3-10 feet for his career averaging 37% from this distance.
I know I keep using the small sample size when Oubre started during that 12 game run in March, but he's shown he's capable of being that third scorer on our team. I think that's why we were so willing to let go of Jackson and Warren. It's too bad he got injured afterwards, because if he was able to put up those same numbers throughout the rest of the season, I'd think our front office and perhaps other teams would have been willing to overpay Oubre somewhere north of $17mil per year. I think as of now, I'd be comfortable with the Suns offering him a 4 year deal of $52mil, could potentially see $60 mil, if it was a flat $15mil per year. I think a lot of you are undervaluing what Oubre brings as that third scorer behind Booker/Ayton.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#16 » by Moochthemonkey » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:25 am

bwoolf2 wrote:

10 million is definitely an underpay for Oubre in and of itself. His former teammate Otto Porter is set to make 25+ million, and he's not that much better than Oubre. Even though Oubre wouldn't fetch 12 million this season from another team, paying players 'fairly' sets a good precedent and that's something the Suns image really needs right now.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,609

Post#17 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:00 am

Moochthemonkey wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:

10 million is definitely an underpay for Oubre in and of itself. His former teammate Otto Porter is set to make 25+ million, and he's not that much better than Oubre. Even though Oubre wouldn't fetch 12 million this season from another team, paying players 'fairly' sets a good precedent and that's something the Suns image really needs right now.

And we know Porter is super overpaid. Just because Washington made the mistake of vastly overpaying for a slightly above average NBA wing doesn't mean they've set the market for slightly above average NBA wings. 2016 was the year of massive overpays but doesn't mean that is the realistic market for players.

Overpaying for a player doesn't set a good precedent other than setting the precedent that we're the team to go to if you're an average wing that wants to be overpaid. We've done that with Ariza last season and arguably we've done that with Rubio this season. Adding Oubre to that list doesn't help us improve.

The market is dried up now and if 40/4 is the only offer on the table , that's the market.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:08 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Moochthemonkey wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:

And we know Porter is super overpaid. Just because Washington made the mistake of vastly overpaying for a slightly above average NBA wing doesn't mean they've set the market for slightly above average NBA wings. 2016 was the year of massive overpays but doesn't mean that is the realistic market for players.

Overpaying for a player doesn't set a good precedent other than setting the precedent that we're the team to go to if you're an average wing that wants to be overpaid. We've done that with Ariza last season and arguably we've done that with Rubio this season. Adding Oubre to that list doesn't help us improve.

The market is dried up now and if 40/4 is the only offer on the table , that's the market.

Porter also got a huge offer sheet from the Nets, who were doing that when they were desperate, like they did for Tyler Johnson and Allen Crabbe....all 3 teams matched, but none of those contracts should be used to measure what other players are really worth. Every single team that matched those contracts, ended up moving them later...and not for anything good....you know, like Ryan Anderson in one case.
GreatSunnyNorth
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#19 » by GreatSunnyNorth » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
I'm a little surprised they didn't match Wright. Jones might be better overall as a lead guard, but unless they are sure they can get him, they are risking going with Ja as the starter with Melton as the backup I think....though maybe I forgot about someone.

Memphis did get a couple of 2nds from Dallas for letting Wright go. Might be worth reminding the Suns’ front office those can be used to add talent, not only to dump it.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,197

Post#20 » by King4Day » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I see this deal as doing a favor to the player. If the Wolves don't match, it's a nice player under a good contract. If the Wolves match, no harm no foul.
Otherwise, I don't get why they wouldn't have just kept Wright (unless age was a factor)
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley

Return to Phoenix Suns