Putting Dante Exum into perspective

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Re: Putting Dante Exum into perspective 

Post#221 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:41 am

stitches wrote:Dante becomes even more important to us with PG and Kawhi teaming up. We need long wing defenders now.

Maybe the Jazz can just load management Exum until the last 3 weeks of the season. He can spend those 3 weeks working off the rust and be healthy come playoffs. :lol:
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#222 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:44 am

Here's some perspective on Dante Exum: he's 11 million dollars per year of dead weight, stopping us from being title contenders during the two year window of Gobert's prime and Mitchell's rookie deal. :banghead:
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#223 » by pickIBL » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:12 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:
Dude, Exum isn't being shopped. I'm almost certain of it. His Defensive versatility, and his drive & kick ability are needed this year more than ever. Last year they needed shooting, this year, they have shooters so it's ok if that's not his strength. Last year they had Favs anchoring the 2nd unit D, this year the wings & guards don't have the same luxury & therefore need to be able to handle their own. Exum can do that.

Jazz dont leak. You nor I know for sure either way

Right, that's why i said "I'm almost certain of it". :) it's opinion.

Jalen Rose was 99 percent sure Kawhi was going back to toronto. I feel way more confident in my position because the jazz dont have any other sizable contracts they can move.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#224 » by pickIBL » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:16 pm

Luigi wrote:Here's some perspective on Dante Exum: he's 11 million dollars per year of dead weight, stopping us from being title contenders during the two year window of Gobert's prime and Mitchell's rookie deal. :banghead:

You got it my man. Any deal the jazz want to do and send out salary... it literally has to be dante. Which is an obvious reason to see dante is the most likely jazz man to move if anything further goes down.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#225 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:39 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Luigi wrote:Here's some perspective on Dante Exum: he's 11 million dollars per year of dead weight, stopping us from being title contenders during the two year window of Gobert's prime and Mitchell's rookie deal. :banghead:

You got it my man. Any deal the jazz want to do and send out salary... it literally has to be dante. Which is an obvious reason to see dante is the most likely jazz man to move if anything further goes down.

Zero chance Ex is moved.Value is way to high for Utah and way to low outside of Utah. Zero chance.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#226 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#227 » by Rauxcee » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:44 pm

pickIBL wrote:

So what asset are you guys willing to give up to move Dante, and who are we bringing in, in return that is a difference maker, and what else do we have to give up to get that difference maker?

Wondering who is on your guys mind and what cost you're willing to pay to move him.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#228 » by Winglish » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:13 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
stitches wrote:I don't know why people continue to insist on this. The Jazz are not shopping Exum. In fact EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF EVIDENCE and reporting we have is that they are trying hard NOT TO INCLUDE HIM in trades.
We don't have to agree with the FO's evaluation.

Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper haven't admitted to forking. No hard evidence!

But... come on. Dante is not needed on this team this year. Unless there is no good move to make, he's gotta move. He's not an important piece of this ring chase.

Well that is frankly not true. Our depth sucks right now. Exum if healthy (which is a lot to ask as he hasn't proved he can stay healthy) helps a lot with our depth.

Conley averages about 70 games per season. We need someone to start when he's out. If that someone is Mudiay the Jazz are in trouble.

Exum is a great denfender. He's tall and long too. I don't know if you've noticed, but our backcourt is really small now. We need a big guard to guard the big guards we'll be facing in the playoffs for our "title run" we are attempting. Exum can also get to the basket almost at will. Put that up against the opposing teams bench and that is a huge advantage for us.

The only problem with Exum is his health (and he doesn't shoot the 3 great). He has low value due to his injury history. If we move him, we are going to get back something back with even lower value than what you perceive Exum to have. Not to mention we'll have to give up assets to move him. We have none left as we spent them all in the Conley trade.

If Exum can stay healthy, and thats a big if, he fits the team just fine and we need him.
The biggest problems are lack of a handle, can't shoot his way out of a barn, and he's a turnover machine.

He's just bad. That's all.

Sent from my SM-G892U using RealGM mobile app
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#229 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:27 pm

Winglish wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
pickIBL wrote: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper haven't admitted to forking. No hard evidence!

But... come on. Dante is not needed on this team this year. Unless there is no good move to make, he's gotta move. He's not an important piece of this ring chase.

Well that is frankly not true. Our depth sucks right now. Exum if healthy (which is a lot to ask as he hasn't proved he can stay healthy) helps a lot with our depth.

Conley averages about 70 games per season. We need someone to start when he's out. If that someone is Mudiay the Jazz are in trouble.

Exum is a great denfender. He's tall and long too. I don't know if you've noticed, but our backcourt is really small now. We need a big guard to guard the big guards we'll be facing in the playoffs for our "title run" we are attempting. Exum can also get to the basket almost at will. Put that up against the opposing teams bench and that is a huge advantage for us.

The only problem with Exum is his health (and he doesn't shoot the 3 great). He has low value due to his injury history. If we move him, we are going to get back something back with even lower value than what you perceive Exum to have. Not to mention we'll have to give up assets to move him. We have none left as we spent them all in the Conley trade.

If Exum can stay healthy, and thats a big if, he fits the team just fine and we need him.
The biggest problems are lack of a handle, can't shoot his way out of a barn, and he's a turnover machine.

He has to become a defensive juggernaut to give himself a shot of contributing this year. He doesn't have the control or shooting to make the case that he deserves court time unless he can flat out stop the opposing wing from scoring. Not sure if he has it in him...
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#230 » by Luigi » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:11 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

So what asset are you guys willing to give up to move Dante, and who are we bringing in, in return that is a difference maker, and what else do we have to give up to get that difference maker?

Wondering who is on your guys mind and what cost you're willing to pay to move him.

We would have had a lot more flexibility if we just included him as ballast in the Conley trade.

By not moving him, we lost our shot at the full MLE, and a bigger cap space opening. I'd move a first if I had to to get that done. I know how everybody loves their draft picks and wails if we move one, but I think they're overrated. I mean, sometimes they turn into Dante Exum.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#231 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:42 pm

Winglish wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:
pickIBL wrote: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper haven't admitted to forking. No hard evidence!

Sounds like Neto is mad the Jazz picked Exum over Neto? Time to move on and stop the hate.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#232 » by pickIBL » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:02 pm

Rauxcee wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

As of this morning I'm open to schroder because he can score off the bench to start and then eventually take over for conley.
stitches
RealGM

Post#233 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:04 pm

pickIBL wrote:As of this morning I'm open to schroder because he can score off the bench to start and then eventually take over for conley.

Do you see us tanking once Conley is gone?
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#234 » by pickIBL » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:12 pm

stitches wrote:
pickIBL wrote:As of this morning I'm open to schroder because he can score off the bench to start and then eventually take over for conley.

I like Schroder. I liked him before he ever came to the NBA. Trey Burke and Dante Exum are busts. Schroder was available and should have been selected. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but he's flat out better and can help this team much more. Especially in today's NBA.
stitches
RealGM

Post#235 » by stitches » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:19 pm

pickIBL wrote:
stitches wrote:

I like Schroder. I liked him before he ever came to the NBA. Trey Burke and Dante Exum are busts. Schroder was available and should have been selected. Sure hindsight is 20/20, but he's flat out better and can help this team much more. Especially in today's NBA.

I don't necessarily disagree with much of this... I liked him too... but I don't think he's turned into a winning player. Here's a hot take - if you can guarantee me Exum will be healthy for the remaining of his career, I'd take him over Schroder.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#236 » by pickIBL » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:40 am

stitches wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
stitches wrote:Do you see us tanking once Conley is gone?

I don't necessarily disagree with much of this... I liked him too... but I don't think he's turned into a winning player. Here's a hot take - if you can guarantee me Exum will be healthy for the remaining of his career, I'd take him over Schroder.

So you are saying you STRONGLY prefer Schroder. Got it.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#237 » by ConstableChaos » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:11 am

How did Exum injure his patella? Did he bang knees with someone in the Wolves game?

I still think 'most' of his injuries are unlucky if this is true. ACL awkward landing, TJ warren exploding his shoulder, stepping on someones ankle.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#238 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:05 pm

I think someone sneezed on him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#239 » by stitches » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:10 am

Read on Twitter
stitches
RealGM

Post#240 » by stitches » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter

I still think they should play for it one-on-one in pre-season.

Return to Utah Jazz