ImageImageImage

Last roster spot who is it going to be? Prediction time.

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Last roster spot who is it going to be? Prediction time. 

Post#1 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:42 pm

Powell, Boban
KP, Kleber, Kosta
Luka, Jackson, Ryan, DFS, Roby
Seth, THJ, Reaves, Lee *
DeLon, Brunson, Barea

Assume Roby and Reaves are 2 way players and LEE is gone one way or the other. That means we have 14 players. Dow we add anyone else in free agency or will we use that last spot as a way to acquire a player that is S/W or released?

If so who do we add. What position will we most need to consider adding.

Jabari Parker
Kelly Oubre
Kenneth Faried
JaMychal Green
Thabo Sefolosha
Carmelo Anthony
Justin Holiday
Lance Thomas
Lance Stephenson
Pau Gasol
Sam Dekker
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Nenê
Joakim Noah
Jonas Jerebko 39% 3 point shooter with size at 6'10"
Avery Bradley
Trey Lyles
Vince Carter
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Last roster spot who is it going to be? Prediction time. 

Post#2 » by 2011Champs » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:50 pm

Devin Harris or Salah Mejri
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:59 pm

Should probably hang on to Lee instead of waiving him. An expiring contact like that is a nice commodity to have if we are fighting for a playoff spot.

I’d try and sign Oubre though with the rest of the cap
FIRE JASON KIDD
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:19 pm

Noah for the minimum
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:01 pm

If you sign Kelly you need a roster spot to do that with that would be created by S/W Lee. If you want Lee then he is the 15th man. I get it that he would have some value in offering a team a way out of a bad situation when they discover that they are not going to get into the play offs and they want to unload some dead weight its just we are at 15 roster spots with his contract still here. Kostas needs to earn that spot if he is getting upgraded to a roster spot instead of taking up a 2 way or is it Roby who gets that 15th spot?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#6 » by arkuo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:38 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:If you sign Kelly you need a roster spot to do that with that would be created by S/W Lee. If you want Lee then he is the 15th man. I get it that he would have some value in offering a team a way out of a bad situation when they discover that they are not going to get into the play offs and they want to unload some dead weight its just we are at 15 roster spots with his contract still here. Kostas needs to earn that spot if he is getting upgraded to a roster spot instead of taking up a 2 way or is it Roby who gets that 15th spot?

Personally I just prefer to let Courtney Lee expire here.

Lee makes $11M, add our $14M cap room to that and that makes $25M. Offer that whole thing to Jaylen Brown next summer.
Bluelabel24
Junior
And1: 51

Post#7 » by Bluelabel24 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:02 am

I think we still need a good rebounder. Im hoping for either Jerebko or Green.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#8 » by The Sparest » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:02 am

dirkforpres wrote:Should probably hang on to Lee instead of waiving him. An expiring contact like that is a nice commodity to have if we are fighting for a playoff spot.

I’d try and sign Oubre though with the rest of the cap
:nod: Expiring contracts are NBA currency, and you don't throw money away for no reason.

The same reason I'm in no hurry to use assets to get rid of THJ.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#9 » by Darren » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:04 am

I think the Mavs will stretch Courtney and tender another offer to Oubre. If it doesn't work, then go after Van Vleet next offseason. Oubre is potentially the fifth starter. And the Mavs could play pretty good defense. Spacing could be a problem, though.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#10 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:08 am

arkuo wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:If you sign Kelly you need a roster spot to do that with that would be created by S/W Lee. If you want Lee then he is the 15th man. I get it that he would have some value in offering a team a way out of a bad situation when they discover that they are not going to get into the play offs and they want to unload some dead weight its just we are at 15 roster spots with his contract still here. Kostas needs to earn that spot if he is getting upgraded to a roster spot instead of taking up a 2 way or is it Roby who gets that 15th spot?

Lee makes $11M, add our $14M cap room to that and that makes $25M. Offer that whole thing to Jaylen Brown next summer.

We won't have that cap space once KP & co sign. We'll be operating over the cap next summer.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#11 » by realEAST » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:38 am

C. Diallo, likely available for min contract, good defender and rebound, young, can give good 10-15 minutes per game as hustle big, which is something Dallas lacks imo, and he'd be good fit with all bigs in rotation
gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Post#12 » by gh123 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:52 am

Weren't they saying that Harris will get a job at the club? Barea is done, we have too many guards anyway and they're all young and need time. By keeping Barea and Harris, rc will make sure none of the young guards see any playing time at all.
Darren
RealGM

Post#13 » by Darren » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:15 am

bobsquad wrote:
arkuo wrote:

We won't have that cap space once KP & co sign. We'll be operating over the cap next summer.

I'd still rather stretch waived and tender offer sheet to RFA. The Mavs re-sign own player with cap hold and try to steal more talents from FA pool. Once all players are actually signed, there's no more significant amount to sign anyone. Don't waste time on FA in 2020. If the best player is AD and second best player is Van Vleet, do not prepare the Mavs to be major player in FA market again. If we get Oubre, we get one more spot fixed. Then, we have a lot of pieces for player exchange in market. I'm still interested in signing Diallo as an ultimate replacement of Powell or perhaps Kleber as well.

I think the super team will grab nearly all significant pieces next summer. Don't waste time on that. Don't bother to waste money on RFA. Bother about the overall values of trade assets available first. For that reason, I think the Mavs should make an offer to Oubre and reach out to Diallo.
Darren
RealGM

Post#14 » by Darren » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:18 am

Mark Cuban should break his bank for the team. The team has a shortage of trade assets and young role players right now. And yet the Mavs has failed to recruit any significant pieces to Dallas even if they're willing to overpay. Not being able to develop young players is also a growing concern.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#15 » by bobsquad » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:53 pm

Wildcard pick: Nic Batum. If I'm not mistaken we have the cap space to take him for Courtney Lee straight up. That way we're consolidating our cap into one bigger chip.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#16 » by arkuo » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:00 pm

My pick: Jabari Parker

Has Donnie Nelson bargain bin reclamation project written all over it.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#17 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:16 pm

I’ll go with Oubre. Lee will get waived and Dallas will trade Phoenix 2 more second rounders for him
FIRE JASON KIDD
Lowtech801
Senior
And1: 177

Post#18 » by Lowtech801 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:35 pm

arkuo wrote:

No it doesn't that cap room goes away once zinger, DFS and Kleber sign their deals. The plan was to use the cap space and then go over the cap to bring back our guys.

Edit: we need a starting center and i know he isnt the greatest fit but I'm still for trading Lee and a 2nd for Adams. We're gonna be a pretty bad rebounding team unless we get a real center.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using RealGM mobile app
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:18 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Powell, Boban
KP, Kleber, Kosta
Luka, Jackson, Ryan, DFS, Roby
Seth, THJ, Reaves, Lee *
DeLon, Brunson, Barea

Assume Roby and Reaves are 2 way players and LEE is gone one way or the other. That means we have 14 players. Dow we add anyone else in free agency or will we use that last spot as a way to acquire a player that is S/W or released?

If so who do we add. What position will we most need to consider adding.

UNDERLINED = NOT AVAILABLE / SIGNED

Jabari Parker
Kelly Oubre
Kenneth Faried
JaMychal Green
Thabo Sefolosha
Carmelo Anthony
Justin Holiday
Lance Thomas
Lance Stephenson
Pau Gasol
Sam Dekker
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Nenê
Joakim Noah
Jonas Jerebko 39% 3 point shooter with size at 6'10"
Avery Bradley
Trey Lyles
Vince Carter
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#20 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 am

I'm gonna say we will acquire someone through trade but no idea who yet :D

Return to Dallas Mavericks