Free agents left

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Re: Free agents left 

Post#41 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:05 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Adam Stern wrote:Question guys, why do some Rockets fans seem so antsy for the team to make a big splashy move?
Am I missing something?

Screw a big splashy move, just sign someone for our bench depth. Rhj went for the minimum on a one year. He would have helped

Exactly. The Rockets are just sitting on two exceptions. They didn't even use their MLE last year. That's inexcusable for a contending team. anad last year they traded Ryno and Knight with picks purely to dump salary. Either of those contracts and/or the player drafted with the picks would be helpful in adding a player to the roster this year. The Rockets aren't behaving like a team that is really close to a title and haven't been for the past year.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#42 » by texasholdem » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:18 pm

Jonathan Simmons got waived by Washington. He is another local guy who played so well against us in the playoffs 3 years ago when he was a Spur.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#43 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:43 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Adam Stern wrote:Question guys, why do some Rockets fans seem so antsy for the team to make a big splashy move?
Am I missing something?

Screw a big splashy move, just sign someone for our bench depth. Rhj went for the minimum on a one year. He would have helped
Yup. If Shumpert walks this off-season was a disaster. He's somehow the best FA left and their only path to adding salary via trade
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#44 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:44 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

Exactly. The Rockets are just sitting on two exceptions. They didn't even use their MLE last year. That's inexcusable for a contending team. anad last year they traded Ryno and Knight with picks purely to dump salary. Either of those contracts and/or the player drafted with the picks would be helpful in adding a player to the roster this year. The Rockets aren't behaving like a team that is really close to a title and haven't been for the past year.
What exceptions? They aren't going to hard cap themselves for guys like JaMicheal Green. They only have the T-MLE which was used on House
They haven't been cheap this off-season, they've been non existent
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:47 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
jwise44 wrote:Screw a big splashy move, just sign someone for our bench depth. Rhj went for the minimum on a one year. He would have helped

What exceptions? They aren't going to hard cap themselves for guys like JaMicheal Green. They only have the T-MLE which was used on House

Why aren't they hard capping themselves? Flexibility is great and all but a contending team can't just not use the BLE or all of the MLE available two years in a row in the hopes that they can pull off some bigger move down the road. They are too close to contending to just be sitting on exceptions.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#46 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:09 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:

Why aren't they hard capping themselves? Flexibility is great and all but a contending team can't just not use the BLE or all of the MLE available two years in a row in the hopes that they can pull off some bigger move down the road. They are too close to contending to just be sitting on exceptions.
Because they can trade to add salary instead and be better? Green had a good playoffs but he's a pretty meh player. Who else signed for what they have left that would've helped? Carrol, and that's it. I'd rather have the flexibility than either. I'm upset with this off-season but that isn't a good reason to be
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:20 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:What exceptions? They aren't going to hard cap themselves for guys like JaMicheal Green. They only have the T-MLE which was used on House

Because they can trade to add salary instead and be better? Green had a good playoffs but he's a pretty meh player. Who else signed for what they have left that would've helped? Carrol, and that's it. I'd rather have the flexibility than either. I'm upset with this off-season but that isn't a good reason to be

The Rockets have about $5.7MM left of MLE. There are lots of players that have been signed for that amount that could be helpful. Maybe they do a Shump sign and trade and not using it works out. But if neither of those happens it's a good reason to be upset.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#48 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:39 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:

The Rockets have about $5.7MM left of MLE. There are lots of players that have been signed for that amount that could be helpful. Maybe they do a Shump sign and trade and not using it works out. But if neither of those happens it's a good reason to be upset.
Like who? There's a difference between helpful and worth it. I named the only 2 even close to worth it.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:57 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Because they can trade to add salary instead and be better? Green had a good playoffs but he's a pretty meh player. Who else signed for what they have left that would've helped? Carrol, and that's it. I'd rather have the flexibility than either. I'm upset with this off-season but that isn't a good reason to be

Like who? There's a difference between helpful and worth it. I named the only 2 even close to worth it.

You asked me who could help and I am saying a lot of players could have helped for that number. Looney, Wes Matthews, Willey Cauley Stein, Markieff Morris, Ed Davis, and Alec Burks would all be helpful and I could name more if I looked. At some point the Rockets are going to have to stop gambling and relying on flexibility and go close to all in. They were arguably one good rotation player away from a title last year. The team is getting older and needs depth. If they just sign more minimum guys and sit on their exceptions like last year it's a failure of management. I don't want to hear at the trade deadline that nobody was worth going into the tax for.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#50 » by jwise44 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:29 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Because they can trade to add salary instead and be better? Green had a good playoffs but he's a pretty meh player. Who else signed for what they have left that would've helped? Carrol, and that's it. I'd rather have the flexibility than either. I'm upset with this off-season but that isn't a good reason to be

Rhj for the minimum, I don’t know how much Justin holiday went for since it became a ant, but he is worth it to help us

I am fine running it back, so long as we TRY to improve because pj and cp3 are a year older
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#51 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:54 pm

jwise44 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:

Rhj for the minimum, I don’t know how much Justin holiday went for since it became a ant, but he is worth it to help us

I am fine running it back, so long as we TRY to improve because pj and cp3 are a year older
That's fine I completely agree they are whiffing on minimums and that was/is terrible. I'm talking about using the MLE and hard capping themselves over guys who aren't worth limiting yourself in that fashion. They shouldn't just use the mle because they can on guys like gmoney is mentioning
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#52 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:56 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:

You asked me who could help and I am saying a lot of players could have helped for that number. Looney, Wes Matthews, Willey Cauley Stein, Markieff Morris, Ed Davis, and Alec Burks would all be helpful and I could name more if I looked. At some point the Rockets are going to have to stop gambling and relying on flexibility and go close to all in. They were arguably one good rotation player away from a title last year. The team is getting older and needs depth. If they just sign more minimum guys and sit on their exceptions like last year it's a failure of management. I don't want to hear at the trade deadline that nobody was worth going into the tax for.

Most of those guys got the minimum/are minimum level 0layer so your original point about using the MLE does not apply. I agree they have done a terrible job getting minimum level guys. I'm not hard capping the team for a backup center
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#53 » by Adam Stern » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:59 pm

jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

Is RHJ significantly different from James Ennis?
They took some chances last offseason and it blew up in their face. Looks like they're trying to avoid that this year by bringing back guys they know fit.
But what I see from a lot of Rockets fans is desperation for the team to make a move, any move. Like the Rockets are a middle of the pack team trying to hold on to a playoff spot.

I don't get it. Or am I just overestimating how good the team already is.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:05 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Like who? There's a difference between helpful and worth it. I named the only 2 even close to worth it.

Most of those guys got the minimum/are minimum level 0layer so your original point about using the MLE does not apply. I agree they have done a terrible job getting minimum level guys. I'm not hard capping the team for a backup center

It stands when you can outbid another team to get a player. I'm hard capping my team if it has no backup big man at the 4 or 5 and is going to let the MLE just go to waste on the hopes that you can make a trade. The Rockets don't need to swing for the fences. They need to add depth and have guys they can actually count on instead of hoping somebody falls into their lap. It's probably too early to say not using the MLE is failure because they can still make a move. But I am completely against going into the season with just minimum guys in the hopes that a big trade can be made at the deadline.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:08 pm

Adam Stern wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

They took some chances last offseason and it blew up in their face. Looks like they're trying to avoid that this year by bringing back guys they know fit.
But what I see from a lot of Rockets fans is desperation for the team to make a move, any move. Like the Rockets are a middle of the pack team trying to hold on to a playoff spot.

It's the opposite for me. I realize how good the Rockets are and want them to use their exceptions or a Shump S&T to add a good rotational player. If Morey is incapable of doing either of those two he is failing miserably. He came out himself this off-season and said he was going to use the MLE to get a good rotational player. This isn't a big ask, it's what a contending team should be able to do.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#56 » by jwise44 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:10 pm

Adam Stern wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

We lacked something last year, and someone like rhj has already proven he has what we lacked ina defensive wing whereas ennis was in Europe, I’m not saying it’s a game changer, but a 1 year minimum on a 24 year old is a Chance we should have taken...and still tried on iggy, and holiday has proven he can play in this league as a player that helps

Take a shot and we can still make mid season moves
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#57 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:43 pm

Adam Stern wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

He's not but they need depth really bad right now. RHJ probably wouldn't play when the team is healthy but they won't always be
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#58 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:32 pm

Trey Lyles is unrestricted now. He was terrible last year's but the year before hit over 38% on 3s and wasn't too bad on D. Would take a look at him as a Pick and pop guy
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#59 » by BallerTalk » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:34 pm

Adam Stern wrote:
jwise44 wrote:
Am I missing something?

You are not alone:

Read on Twitter

The horrible start and the disappointing end last season make it easy to forget how good the team was when they got healthy and cleared out the riffraff.

Also, all the high profile movement in free agency (albeit to lesser teams) may have set expectations high.
For some people, anything short of a huge move (Butler, Westbrook) is a failure. Those people can be kinda loud.

But, as you can see, most of us understand that keeping House and Rivers was huge and what the team needs now are tweaks like adding height/rebounding in the frontcourt and depth on the wings.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#60 » by Adam Stern » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:01 am

Okay. I was just surprised to see some Rockets fans in panic mode.

Return to Houston Rockets