ImageImageImageImageImage

Easy Money Slim Reaper - The Official Kevin Durant Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#141 » by SpeedyG » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:53 am

DarkXaero wrote:As much as I always held hope that we could one day sign him (or other stars in FA), I still gotta admit that I was completely wrong about one thing: record doesn't matter in attracting FAs. I felt that it wouldn't have been a factor if we didn't win many games, but now I think that it most certainly was one of the deciding factors for these guys. If we hadn't made the playoffs this year, I don't think KD & Kyrie would be Nets right now. Because even though we were only sixth seed, and won just one game in our series, it still proved the credentials of our young guys, our coaching staff, and our organization. And that's perhaps the most appealing factor to these guys, who want a solid supporting cast around them, and go into a situation where they know that the supporting cast is capable, rather than just unproven potential.

And while the media right now is (sadly) more obsessed with the Knicks' failure rather than Nets' success, I think that the whole narrative of "KD would have picked the Knicks if he didn't get injured" is wrong. I think it was decided some time ago by both of them that they'll play in Brooklyn, and it may have not been 100% certain on KD's side until the start of free agency, but I do think this was the case. I think the much bigger factor would have been if the Knicks landed Zion, that could have changed everything. With time, hopefully this info will come out, and the media can stop talking about that narrative.

It still doesn't really.

What was Lakers record last year?

If the Nets weren't in Brooklyn, would the Knicks have been an option for KD?

We were the option because we were also in NY...but have the advantage of having a more stable infrastructure.

If this team was the NJ Nets...with Marks and Kenny and the exact same situation cap and roster wise...

Do these guys sign here? My gut feeling is no.

And you can replace NJ with whatever most other NBA cities (Memphis, Utah, Sacramento, etc).

It was NY...and we were the more attractive NY option.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#142 » by SpeedyG » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:56 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
J9Starks3 wrote:
Paradise wrote:I think most Nets fans understand that but are annoyed by the idea this is somehow similar to the Garnett-Pierce days.

We acquired Taurean Prince on a rookie contract for cap space and he was a 1st option starter for the same rebuilding Hawks everyone loves.

- We acquired a 2020 1st to make up for losing one in the Crabbe deal.

- We add a heavy protected 1st for Kevin Durant/D’Angelo Russell S&T.

We may even find a way to land another 1st for a three team S&T between Rozier to CHA, Kyrie to BK, cap space to BOS for the MLE.

We’re building a contender and building our assets. Can’t say the Knicks are doing that. Signing a bunch I’d bench scrubs isn’t cute to me. We tried that and ended up with Bargnani, Ellington, Markel Brown and 20 wins.

What have the Knicks done since the KP trade aside from drafting RJ Barrett and signing random 2K free agents? No other additional salary dumps? No additional picks?

The Grizzlies had no picks outside of #2 and may end up with a haul of assets entering 2020. By 2022, Memphis could be ready to contend around Jaren Jackson. That’s how you rebuild.

We have as many 1st round picks as anyone over the next 5 years...RJ May end up being the best in a fairly loaded draft class...we have good young talent in RJ, Robinson, Knox, Smith, Trier, Dotson (hopefully Iggy). Randle and Payton aren’t bench scrubs...

My issue with Brooklyn’s offseason is a couple of things..
1 - your team overachieved last year based on chemistry. DLo was a big piece of that and he’s gone now for a dude not known for his chemistry.
2 - You’re talking about at least 18 months before you can really see what you have. KD will take time to be back to normal, I hope he does... that’s a long time into 4 year deals to finally start to see if this will work. And if you really want to be in the same league in NY as the Knicks from a perception pov, that comes with unrealistic expectations. Media expects immediate results and won’t settle for “but let’s wait to see when KD gets back...look now let’s wait till he has half a season under his belt to get ready...ok now let’s wait for the team chemistry to form”...so how will Kyrie take it when they are peppering him about why they aren’t a top seed immediately.
3 - You’re gonna regret Jordan at 4/40... that deal will hurt your flexibility - he’s really not good anymore and with KD/Kyrie your flexibility is gonna be key. Those assets you have will want to be paid too. And it could hurt Allen’s development if he’s eating into his late game minutes.

Best of luck though...you guys took a big swing and it may be a huge payoff...and, to your point, at least you didn’t mortgage the future this time like with KG/Pierce. Worst case you start over again in 4 years but with your picks...

1. The idea that we overachieved last year is laughable. The Levert injury killed our season. If he doesn't go down we would have won more games. And all of our players were young and improving. They would only get better.
2. Media can expect whatever they want. If KD comes back and gets us a title it will supplant any other narrative.
3. Jordan deal came from Kyrie/KD taking less and ends at the same time. So its a bad contract but its not big deal. I think he was dogging it for the Knicks last year and can still be good. We shall see.
Well we did overachieve. But we could have achieved even more had it not been for all the injuries we had.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#143 » by Netaman » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:48 pm

The literally numerical record doesn't matter but you can bet that to win a FA like KD from nothing, like we just did, the progress of the franchise is important. The PROGRESS we showed in every way the last couple years (record included) was critical to landing him. Teams that lose as much as the top teams in the lotto are inevitably doing so embarrassingly. When you play like an embarrassment it's because you have players that are an embarrassment.

That is exactly the "losing culture" that doomed the knicks. The stability and competence everyone has talked about with regards to our franchise (and the Clips for that matter) hasn't been anything special - it is solid, consistence, competence. Both orgs found good players through draft + FA, competed hard on the court, had good coaching and management, and showed the league they are places players would want to go. The Lakers were a disaster and lucked into Lebron. We aren't the Lakers so we couldn't count on that. The Knicks tried to count on that, while tanking no less, and ended up with egg on their faces.
Teal25
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#144 » by Teal25 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:23 pm

Congrats Nets’ fans. I’m a KD fan so I will be rooting for you guys especially until Badump and Zeller comes off our books. I hate Rich Cho.

Anyway I think people are doing the most with KD’s injury. If he was 6’0 instead of 7’0 I could get the hysteria but he’s still 7ft. Plus of all the players that were never the same after an Achilles injury, how many of them were pure shooters like Kevin?

Most of these same people keep mentioning Kobe but has always trashed talked Kobe’s shooting. Ignore the haters. Yall have drafted extremely well and I love your core. Hopefully some day we can start hitting on our draft picks as well.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Welcome KD!!! 

Post#145 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:32 pm

“I’m too nice!” - KD drops 50 to eliminate the Clippers.

KD - 51 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists vs Kawhi Leonard in Toronto.

KD - 50 points, 6 assists vs Lillard in Portland.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,574

Post#146 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:01 pm

You are kidding yourself if the team's progress last year wasn't a factor in all of this. It made us look like the BETTER of the two NYC teams, which we are.

If the Nets had won 19 games last year, we are not having this discussion.

Either way, who cares. Easy Money Sniper is in the building!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#147 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:44 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:You are kidding yourself if the team's progress last year wasn't a factor in all of this. It made us look like the BETTER of the two NYC teams, which we are.

#RIPAttendanceComments.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#148 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:07 pm

I am so tempted to post those tweets on the GB in a thread titled "So Knick fans, about the attendance in Brooklyn..." but I'm pretty sure the mods will know I'm trolling hard af

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#149 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:08 pm

And the fact that Durant CHOSE us without even meeting Sean Marks first is insane. WTF is happening here!!?

Paradise

Post#150 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#151 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:And the fact that Durant CHOSE us without even meeting Sean Marks first is insane. WTF is happening here!!?

Marks probably just said that so he don't get hit with tampering lol

I need me one of those coogie KD jerseys and I'm hoping to go to at least 5 games a year from here on out.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#152 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:You are kidding yourself if the team's progress last year wasn't a factor in all of this. It made us look like the BETTER of the two NYC teams, which we are.

if the knicks land zion instead of RJ, and deal him for AD we might be looking at Kyrie/KD in NY as well. alot plays into it. i think record is the least important of:

-Available Cap (so you can team up multiple stars)
-Assets (so you can trade for third stars)
-Culture/Coach/GM/Ownership
-Prior seasons record

do you really think that if Kyrie/AD/KD teamed up with the knicks they would be concerned they only won 17 games the year before?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#153 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I am so tempted to post those tweets on the GB in a thread titled "So Knick fans, about the attendance in Brooklyn..." but I'm pretty sure the mods will know I'm trolling hard af

make it less obvious

POLL: who will have higher attendance next year knicks or nets?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#154 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:And the fact that Durant CHOSE us without even meeting Sean Marks first is insane. WTF is happening here!!?

Location + teaming up with Kyrie

the rest didnt really matter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#155 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I am so tempted to post those tweets on the GB in a thread titled "So Knick fans, about the attendance in Brooklyn..." but I'm pretty sure the mods will know I'm trolling hard af

make it less obvious

Nah I'm on shaky ground after the Kevin Durant avatar thing so I have to tread lightly

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#156 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:13 pm

KD signed a 3 plus 1 deal, player option for the the fourth year, 2022-2023.

So in July of 2022, he could opt out and either negotiate a bigger contract with the Nets or go to some other team.

He will turn 34 in September 2022.

Assuming he doesn't play much in 2019-2020 season, Nets are guaranteed to get 2 full seasons from him. That first season though, he may not be fully rehabbed. Rudy Gay played okay his first season after Achilles but he was much better the second season. Wes Matthews, some would argue, hasn't recovered at all.

So who will sign him in July 2022 if he opts out, when he's two months from turning 34? He will no doubt be expecting a max but what if he's looking for a 4 or 5 year deal?
Paradise

Post#157 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 pm

KD drops 66 at Rucker Park in Harlem during the lockout:

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#158 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 am

Man, I'm super tempted to throw a hundo on the Nets for this season to win the title.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#159 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Man, I'm super tempted to throw a hundo on the Nets for this season to win the title.

I think people are underestimating this roster because KD is out

We have excellent depth in the backcourt, wings, and Allen and Jordan are probably the best center rotation in the league. Elite floor spacing and Irving, LeVert, and Dinwiddie all hit the north south lanes hard af.

I think we very much will be a top 3 team in the east without Durant.

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#160 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

make it less obvious

Nah I'm on shaky ground after the Kevin Durant avatar thing so I have to tread lightly

Yea don't even bother, these Mods are super sensitive and will have a fit about the least bit of tension it's annoying with them.

Return to Brooklyn Nets