Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#201 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:22 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:What does the tweet say?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Shams Charania

@ShamsCharania
Sources: Minnesota No. 6 overall pick Jarrett Culver is not expected to play in NBA summer league as he fully integrates himself into Timberwolves system ahead of his rookie season
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#202 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:26 pm

And lmao at Him proving something to Hunter. If we go by potential, Culver has way more of it than hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#203 » by TheDominator273 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:27 pm

rulas95 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

For me this is that he´s going to be traded!!!
He's signed his rookie deal so he can't be traded for 30 days from the day he actually signed. So no trade with Culver can happen until August.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#204 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:38 pm

Id rather him training with the main guys than the d-leaguers

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#205 » by King Malta » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:49 pm

Couldn't really care less tbh.

I'd like to see him play, but if the coaching staff/FO feel he's better served to not be doing so then I'll defer to them on that.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#206 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:25 am

_AIJ_ wrote:And lmao at Him proving something to Hunter. If we go by potential, Culver has way more of it than hunter.

He has more potential as a shot creator and facilitator. However, Hunter completely punked him when they went H2H. Just one game. Small sample size.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#207 » by minimus » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:56 am

TheDominator273 wrote:
rulas95 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's signed his rookie deal so he can't be traded for 30 days from the day he actually signed. So no trade with Culver can happen until August.

I would not be surprised if we trade Culver by preseason though.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#208 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:21 am

minimus wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
rulas95 wrote:

I would be. :o
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#209 » by wildvikeswolves » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:He's signed his rookie deal so he can't be traded for 30 days from the day he actually signed. So no trade with Culver can happen until August.

I would be. :o

I would be really surprised as well
stra0448
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#210 » by stra0448 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:14 pm

Culver is the most slept-on lottery pick in Wolves history. We’re really lucky to draft him. So many rubes were disappointed we didn’t draft Garland, then disappointed we didn’t trade for DLo, what about the stud SG we got for Dario Saric?! I’m excited to see our perimeter D with Cov/Culv/Wiggins/Okoge.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#211 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:22 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:
rulas95 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That seems like the plan all along. Either for Dlo or someone else, in August.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#212 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:03 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
rulas95 wrote:
Culver is not getting traded.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#213 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:09 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
rulas95 wrote:

Russell can't be traded until December
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#214 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:08 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:He's signed his rookie deal so he can't be traded for 30 days from the day he actually signed. So no trade with Culver can happen until August.

Russell can't be traded until December

Well then, December it is for him. Big difference. Although I'm not sure yet why they would get in the middle if they planned to send him our way in the end. Maybe it was for the favors, like those we've already been involved in to help them with their cap swimming.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#215 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:10 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Culver is not getting traded.

Is this like one of those positive affirmation things where you just keep saying it and hope that's enough for the universe of connected matter to hear you and make it so?

Just please don't get angry with me about it. I'm just saying the signs seem to point to such a thing. A clear decision not to allow him to play Summer League at all cemented the thought in my head when before it was just a "I hope not" scenario to me.

It's also possible they saw Zion hurt his knee already and said forget that for Culver! I might be wrong. If you want me to list the other couple signs I see that have me thinking they are open to moving him, just let me know.

I would hope we get to see him play some before he's ever moved. Just so we can make up our own dumb minds before the decision is made by the FO. Knowing the great hyped Zion / Barret pair could bust could leave Culver as a possibility for being one of the greats remembered from this draft. Just don't want him to end up yet another of those that we had access to that a different team got because we were foolish. He has yet to display the shooting level necessary to become one of those but you never know.
Pooh24
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#216 » by Pooh24 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:29 pm

Culver’s athleticism has the chance to be a dark cloud that follows him around on draft day. While he’s a very fluid athlete he’s certainly not explosive and some teams at the top of the lottery might be a little bit gun-shy when it comes to picking players without elite athleticism. With the league predicated on physical ability nowadays there might be some questions regarding whether Culver will be able to get the separation he lived on in college when taking on NBA defenders. Everything about Culver’s game revolves around his ability to make plays with the basketball and if he’s unable to be a scorer and distributor out of the pick and roll his ceiling suddenly plunges.

One of the reasons Culver needs the ball in his hands is because he’s not much of a threat off the ball as the shooter. Hitting only 30.4% of his threes in college he’s not going to be a floor spacer and that could be a concern for teams evaluating him. As a young player entering the NBA he’s probably not getting the chance to be the primary initiator he was in college but if he can’t be a role player stretching the floor he could have some challenges getting playing time.

Building muscle also needs to be a priority for the skinny Culver as he’s going to get pushed around by stronger NBA veterans with lower centers of gravity. While he’s a good defensive player he relies a lot of his ability to be disruptive with his hands to make up for the fact he’s not an explosive athlete and doesn’t have a really strong base but NBA players are going to protect the ball and take it into his body with regularity and if he doesn’t bulk up he’s going to get blown through.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#217 » by andyhop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

Pooh24 wrote:One of the reasons Culver needs the ball in his hands is because he’s not much of a threat off the ball as the shooter. Hitting only 30.4% of his threes in college he’s not going to be a floor spacer and that could be a concern for teams evaluating him.

He was a 38% 3pt shooter his freshman year so the idea that he can't be a good shooter in the NBA seems premature
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Pooh24
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#218 » by Pooh24 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:05 am

andyhop wrote:
Pooh24 wrote:One of the reasons Culver needs the ball in his hands is because he’s not much of a threat off the ball as the shooter. Hitting only 30.4% of his threes in college he’s not going to be a floor spacer and that could be a concern for teams evaluating him.

He was a 38% 3pt shooter his freshman year so the idea that he can't be a good shooter in the NBA seems premature

what's alarming about that , is once defense adjusted, he didn't have the talent to re-adjust. Very concerning!
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#219 » by andyhop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:09 am

Pooh24 wrote:
andyhop wrote:

what's alarming about that , is once defense adjusted, he didn't have the talent to re-adjust. Very concerning!

The same problem Curry had dropping from 44% to 39% between his sophomore and junior seasons, that really foretold his struggles from 3 in the league.

Harden had a 5% drop between college seasons ,as did Klay and Dame.

Unsurprisingly low sample sizes of something as variable as 3 point % aren't particularly even in their values
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
alabamawolf
Senior
And1: 321

Post#220 » by alabamawolf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 am

Pooh24 wrote:
andyhop wrote:

I’m not sure why I’m biting but...Culver completely changed his shot form from his freshman to sophomore season and he went from being a complimentary player to the #1 option. Josh Richardson shot 22% from 3 after his first 2 seasons in college and now he’s a pretty good shooter. Tobias shot 30% in college. I’m not the least bit worried about Culver with his attitude and work ethic

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves