Paul George Appreciation Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Re: Paul George Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by blanko » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:47 pm

Look paul george gave more to okc than dura nt , he got you record setting returns. What did kd do? Liked to russ and dipped out.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#22 » by slick_watts » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:27 pm

thank you paul george, for setting sam presti on the path that should have been taken from the beginning. without your betrayal, we'd be clawing for a 7th seed with a 70 million tax bill. now our future is a blank page with endless possibilities.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#23 » by NoZoLakers » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:27 pm

picks on paper with the word "unprotected" sounds good in essence but considering who those 1st come from, all will most likely range between teens-late picks (3 being from LAC within PG/KL era, while the other 2 comes from Mia Butler era where you guys also might be sending Russ to). Yea PG gave you guys ALOT more than KD but dude did you guys dirty none the less.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#24 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:42 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:picks on paper with the word "unprotected" sounds good in essence but considering who those 1st come from, all will most likely range between teens-late picks (3 being from LAC within PG/KL era, while the other 2 comes from Mia Butler era where you guys also might be sending Russ to). Yea PG gave you guys ALOT more than KD but dude did you guys dirty none the less.

It seems to be the popular consensus among a lot of the media right now to devalue picks. I tend to disagree with that. Beyond two years, we really have no idea what any teams picks are worth. If I were a clippers fan do you know what my biggest fear would be? The health of Kawhi and George. Kawhi's issues are well documented George has had four surgeries in the last two offseasons. He's already suffered a career altering injury.

The picks by themselves might not enough to build a good team but they can be traded to move up in the draft or for other players that become available. All good players were just a pick at one time. Before the George trade our shelf life had expired and we've got tons of options moving forward. If we are contended to make 2-3 picks a year in the late teens and twenties, we'll probably wallow in mediocrity. I don't think that's what we'll do though. Also, there's a decent possibility that Shai develops into a really good player. If he hadn't been included in the deal I'm much less optimistic about a quicker rebuild.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#25 » by NoZoLakers » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:52 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:picks on paper with the word "unprotected" sounds good in essence but considering who those 1st come from, all will most likely range between teens-late picks (3 being from LAC within PG/KL era, while the other 2 comes from Mia Butler era where you guys also might be sending Russ to). Yea PG gave you guys ALOT more than KD but dude did you guys dirty none the less.

It seems to be the popular consensus among a lot of the media right now to devalue picks. I tend to disagree with that. Beyond two years, we really have no idea what any teams picks are worth. If I were a clippers fan do you know what my biggest fear would be? The health of Kawhi and George. Kawhi's issues are well documented George has had four surgeries in the last two offseasons. He's already suffered a career altering injury.

The picks by themselves might not enough to build a good team but they can be traded to move up in the draft or for other players that become available. All good players were just a pick at one time. Before the George trade our shelf life had expired and we've got tons of options moving forward. If we are contended to make 2-3 picks a year in the late teens and twenties, we'll probably wallow in mediocrity. I don't think that's what we'll do though. Also, there's a decent possibility that Shai develops into a really good player. If he hadn't been included in the deal I'm much less optimistic about a quicker rebuild.

I agree with SGA and yes I understand your take on the picks as far as using them to move up, but the "unprecedented, record setting" mantra from Woj is misleading IMO, quantity doesn't always equal quality. Yea KL has that load management thing but he seems to be getting more healthy while PG broke a leg randomly out of no where but he seems to have recovered from that relatively well, the shoulder thing is just wear and tear
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:22 pm

NoZoLakers wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I agree with SGA and yes I understand your take on the picks as far as using them to move up, but the "unprecedented, record setting" mantra from Woj is misleading IMO, quantity doesn't always equal quality. Yea KL has that load management thing but he seems to be getting more healthy while PG broke a leg randomly out of no where but he seems to have recovered from that relatively well, the shoulder thing is just wear and tear

I look at it like this, you pretty much need a core of 3 guys to have a decent team. Shai is potentially part of our core moving forward. We have the next two years to get the second part of that core with our own pick which could be in the top 5. It doesn't have to be the number one pick to be a really good all star level player. We also have 13 picks to do whatever we can to trade or find the third member. We probably won't end up with Harden, Russ and KD again but if Shai develops to a Mike Conley level player, maybe we find an Oladipo/Beal type player in the draft and through trades, I'm good with that while they are young as Presti finds a real coach, doesn't trade for Dion Waiters 2.0.

I know it's not as simple as it sounds but having Shai can't be understated. Check back in two years. If Shai has tore his achilles, we fail in the draft and Billy is still coaching then I'll probably feel differently.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#27 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:25 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:It seems to be the popular consensus among a lot of the media right now to devalue picks. I tend to disagree with that. Beyond two years, we really have no idea what any teams picks are worth. If I were a clippers fan do you know what my biggest fear would be? The health of Kawhi and George. Kawhi's issues are well documented George has had four surgeries in the last two offseasons. He's already suffered a career altering injury.

I look at it like this, you pretty much need a core of 3 guys to have a decent team. Shai is potentially part of our core moving forward. We have the next two years to get the second part of that core with our own pick which could be in the top 5. It doesn't have to be the number one pick to be a really good all star level player. We also have 13 picks to do whatever we can to trade or find the third member. We probably won't end up with Harden, Russ and KD again but if Shai develops to a Mike Conley level player, maybe we find an Oladipo/Beal type player in the draft and through trades, I'm good with that while they are young as Presti finds a real coach, doesn't trade for Dion Waiters 2.0.

I know it's not as simple as it sounds but having Shai can't be understated. Check back in two years. If Shai has tore his achilles, we fail in the draft and Billy is still coaching then I'll probably feel differently.

Also, isn't the farthest of those picks like 6 years out? There's a terrific chance that's a high lotto pick. Most guys aren't LeBron, humming along at mvp level into their mid thirties.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#28 » by Drygon » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:01 am

blanko wrote:Look paul george gave more to okc than dura nt , he got you record setting returns. What did kd do? Liked to russ and dipped out.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

The Thunder were fortunate that the Clippers were leveraged into having to do whatever it took to get a 2nd star to attract Kawhi.

Anyway, Paul George's exit from OKC was much worse. At least Durant left as a free agent.
lalalaker
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#29 » by lalalaker » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 am

Im sorry but wat appreciation do PG deserve after leaving 1 yr after saying hes there to stay at westbrooks b-day party. Why dont you try and tell ur boyfriend/girlfriend that you are leaving for someone else after being a couple for 1yr. I have never ever seen a worse backstabbing by a player in my life. Basically PG had this girl he wanted to date all along but couldnt so he went with someone who he felt comfortable with but as soon as his love charm him he jumps like a hor ny dog lol.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#30 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:49 am

lalalaker wrote:Im sorry but wat appreciation do PG deserve after leaving 1 yr after saying hes there to stay at westbrooks b-day party. Why dont you try and tell ur boyfriend/girlfriend that you are leaving for someone else after being a couple for 1yr. I have never ever seen a worse backstabbing by a player in my life. Basically PG had this girl he wanted to date all along but couldnt so he went with someone who he felt comfortable with but as soon as his love charm him he jumps like a hor ny dog lol.

Are they giving me a bunch of money and possessions when they leave me in a year? If so I could totally be down with it. PG yielded one of, if not the best, trade returns for a single player in NBA history.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:54 pm

lalalaker wrote:Im sorry but wat appreciation do PG deserve after leaving 1 yr after saying hes there to stay at westbrooks b-day party. Why dont you try and tell ur boyfriend/girlfriend that you are leaving for someone else after being a couple for 1yr. I have never ever seen a worse backstabbing by a player in my life. Basically PG had this girl he wanted to date all along but couldnt so he went with someone who he felt comfortable with but as soon as his love charm him he jumps like a hor ny dog lol.

Do you believe okc is as anything more than a first round exit despite having two superstars? I never did. Now that the trade is complete it seems like many okc fans are finally admitting they felt the same way but they wouldn’t admit it at the time.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#32 » by Sinobas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Appreciation for what? He cost you two rising stars, in Sabonis and Oladipo, then left you guys high and dry. You get picks, but they will most likely be low inconsequential players. He got his feelings hurt because Damian Lillard slapped that game winning 3 in his face, so rather than face it and try to get better, he just quits on the team. Just like Durant did. You guys put too much stock in that head-case Russell Westbrook.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#33 » by slick_watts » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Sinobas wrote:Appreciation for what? He cost you two rising stars, in Sabonis and Oladipo, then left you guys high and dry. You get picks, but they will most likely be low inconsequential players. He got his feelings hurt because Damian Lillard slapped that game winning 3 in his face, so rather than face it and try to get better, he just quits on the team. Just like Durant did. You guys put too much stock in that head-case Russell Westbrook.

i don't get it either, tbh. i appreciate the circumstances for sure. the clippers needed george and the thunder were able to get a king's ransom for him. but if we're going to appreciate someone for that, it should be kawhi leonard, who demanded the clippers acquire george. george himself signed a contract, said he's "here to stay", and then demands a trade after one season. there's nothing to appreciate about that despite the circumstances out of his control resulting in a lucrative and timely return.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder