Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:50 pm

Continued from here
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:49 pm

Right now we have 14 guys who would start the season with us if it began today: Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Brown & Bryant are holdovers from last season. Miles, Ish, IT, Rui, Wagner, Bonga, Bertans, Schofield & Robinson are new.

Assuming Robinson & Schofield at @$1m each, those 14 guys will cost @$125m. But... arithmetic done in head, head old, ergo I could be off.

We also have McRae, Phillip & Jones who are not guaranteed. Each of them is at @$1.5m. Assuming no other moves, we would keep one of them & be @$6m under the tax threshold (the number I have for that being $132,627,000).

But, we have a request for an exception in progress, which would allow us to sign another FA. If so, none of those 3 would be with us. I hope we get to keep Jones; don't care about the others.

Of course, other moves are also possible. For example, I note that we could simply waive Mahinmi, eat his salary, keep Jones & McRae, & still be under the tax threshold. I hope it is obvious that that would make sense.

Other moves are also possible....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#3 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:31 pm

payitforward wrote:Right now we have 14 guys who would start the season with us if it began today: Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Brown & Bryant are holdovers from last season. Miles, Ish, IT, Rui, Wagner, Bonga, Bertans, Schofield & Robinson are new.

Assuming Robinson & Schofield at @$1m each, those 14 guys will cost @$125m. But... arithmetic done in head, head old, ergo I could be off.

We also have McRae, Phillip & Jones who are not guaranteed. Each of them is at @$1.5m. Assuming no other moves, we would keep one of them & be @$6m under the tax threshold (the number I have for that being $132,627,000).

But, we have a request for an exception in progress, which would allow us to sign another FA. If so, none of those 3 would be with us. I hope we get to keep Jones; don't care about the others.

Of course, other moves are also possible. For example, I note that we could simply waive Mahinmi, eat his salary, keep Jones & McRae, & still be under the tax threshold. I hope it is obvious that that would make sense.

I hate to break the news to you buddy, but Jones isn't going to last. The team is not going to retain a wing who can't shoot, not when two of our core pieces: Brown and Hachimura, also have suspect outside shots.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#4 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:25 pm

Also Sannon is 19 Jones is 24 ND they are looking like they might be the same player, hard playing D guy who isn't a great shooter the difference is Sannon has time to learn how to shoot
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Right now we have 14 guys who would start the season with us if it began today: Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Brown & Bryant are holdovers from last season. Miles, Ish, IT, Rui, Wagner, Bonga, Bertans, Schofield & Robinson are new.

I hate to break the news to you buddy, but Jones isn't going to last. The team is not going to retain a wing who can't shoot, not when two of our core pieces: Brown and Hachimura, also have suspect outside shots.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#5 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:50 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yeah...can't see how McRae doesn't stick given this roster's lack of scoring and shooters. When given the opportunity at the end of last season, McRae showed that he could also handle the rock and create some for himself and others.

However, I'm hoping Jones gets some good run during SL so we can see how he does as a rebounder and defender.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#6 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:08 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Also Sannon is 19 Jones is 24 ND they are looking like they might be the same player, hard playing D guy who isn't a great shooter the difference is Sannon has time to learn how to shoot

Sannon is irrelevant. He's going back to Europe to season.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#7 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:50 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:59 pm

nate33 wrote:

I will survive if so. Even though I know you only say that out of your disappointment that we didn't sign Jabari. :wink:
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#9 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:08 pm

DCZards wrote:Yeah...can't see how McRae doesn't stick given this roster's lack of scoring and shooters. ...However, I'm hoping Jones gets some good run during SL so we can see how he does as a rebounder and defender.

I've had my eye on McRae for at least 4 years (not to sound like Ernie...), & I'll be glad for him if he establishes himself in the NBA. He's certainly worked hard to reach that goal. When I say that I wouldn't keep him, just as when I say that I wouldn't re-sign Jabari, nothing is implied except what seems to me the best choices for the Wizards. Nor am I always right about that question.

Seems likely that there are more moves to come. What's great is simply to feel that the franchise has an opportunity now to recover from the disasters of Ernie's tenure.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#10 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:28 pm

doclinkin wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Also Sannon is 19 Jones is 24 ND they are looking like they might be the same player, hard playing D guy who isn't a great shooter the difference is Sannon has time to learn how to shoot

This. Sannon is so far away from NBA usefulness. If he ever plays in the NBA I will be shocked.

Its sorta like including Aaron White in lineups the last few years, yeah we own his rights, but that doesn't mean he's ever going to actually make an NBA roster.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#11 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:57 pm

Wizards shoutout at 6:50

:lol:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:12 pm

As the smoke clears, it really makes me wonder why they didn't go after guys with 2 year offers. Summer of 2020 is an absolutely horrendous free agent class. I'm looking at their cap sheet over on BBall Insiders: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/

I count about $95 million in guaranteed salaries, with them releasing cap holds on Mahinmi, Miles, etc. Cap is projected to be $117 million, which means we'd have a ballpark of $20 million in space.

Then I look at the 2020 free agents: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-free-agency-top-30-players-available-in-next-years-class-led-by-anthony-davis-draymond-green-kyle-lowry/

We have a clear weakness at the 4, and the wing positions need shoring up. My top target would be Paul Millsap. I know he's 34/35....but if we're all about changing the culture, you can bring him in a 1 year deal possibly (the cap is expected to make another jump to $125 million in summer 2021, maybe he goes for 1 last payday then). Derrick Favors would be another option, especially if he shows any outside range this season. Favors has been in the league damn near 10 years and he's only 27.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#13 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:38 pm

My point is if you have two guys who do pretty much the same thing. You bet on the younger one is all I'm saying !
Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

This. Sannon is so far away from NBA usefulness. If he ever plays in the NBA I will be shocked.

Its sorta like including Aaron White in lineups the last few years, yeah we own his rights, but that doesn't mean he's ever going to actually make an NBA roster.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#14 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:58 pm

gambitx777 wrote:My point is if you have two guys who do pretty much the same thing. You bet on the younger one is all I'm saying !

Really? Why?

& what does "do... the same thing" mean, anyway? Jemerrio Jones dominated real NBA games against real NBA players last year. That's the thing he did, & no Sanon does not "do... the same thing."

Let me put it slightly differently: if you had Jemerrio Jones but not Sanon, would you trade Jones straight up for him? No, I didn't think so.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:25 am

gambitx777 wrote:My point is if you have two guys who do pretty much the same thing. You bet on the younger one is all I'm saying !

Sure, when they are comparable NBA players but Sanon is not in the NBA nor is he close to it.

Sanon will be back overseas.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 am

Here's my "how far away are we from being a legit contender" tracker.

The ??? represent what we don't have. We have alot of those. We lack 3 legit starters & 2/3 legit backups. I'm being nice and will give Ish Smith passable backup PG status. I don't trust any big after Bryant.

I would assume the goal is that Hachimura & Brown develop to the point where they can be quality starters. I don't see how this is not a multiyear rebuild.

G ??? ... I. Smith ... I. Thomas ... Ju. Robinson ... Wall
G Beal ... ??? ... McRae
F ??? ... T. Brown Jr ... Miles ... Je. Jones
F ??? ... Bertans ... Hachimura ... Schofield
C Bryant ... ??? ... ??? ... Wagner ... Mahinmi
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#17 » by truwizfan4evr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:47 am

2020 free agent not great but good. Wouldnt mind signing caris
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#18 » by WallToWall » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 am

Dat2U wrote:Here's my "how far away are we from being a legit contender" tracker.
The ??? represent what we don't have. We have alot of those. We lack 3 legit starters & 2/3 legit backups. I'm being nice and will give Ish Smith passable backup PG status. I don't trust any big after Bryant.
I would assume the goal is that Hachimura & Brown develop to the point where they can be quality starters. I don't see how this is not a multiyear rebuild.

G Beal ... ??? ... McRae

No doubt that this is at least a 2 year rebuild, unless someone on the roster surprises us. For a rebuilding team, I think the intent is to have Brown and Bertans penciled in as the starters. I can envision Hachimura working his way to being a starter as the season goes on, and that may happen sooner rather than later. The PG position will be done by committee. Unless there are other trades in the making, or pickups to be made (and I think there will be), this will be a team that will go as far as Beal takes them.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#19 » by DCZards » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 am

Dat2U wrote:Here's my "how far away are we from being a legit contender" tracker.

G Beal ... ??? ... McRae

It absolutely is a multi-year rebuild. I doubt that anyone here--or in the Zards management--thinks otherwise. We're not going from a lottery team in 2019 and (probably) 2020 to being a legit contender by the 2020-21. I think the first goal should be making the playoffs by the 2020-21 season.

Of course, that will depend in large part on Beal remaining a Wizard, Wall getting healthy and continuing to be a very good NBA player, the development of Rui, Bryant and Brown, and, hopefully, a 2020 lottery pick who can get quality minutes and have an impact.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#20 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:42 am

Rafael122 wrote:As the smoke clears, it really makes me wonder why they didn't go after guys with 2 year offers. Summer of 2020 is an absolutely horrendous free agent class. I'm looking at their cap sheet over on BBall Insiders: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/washington-wizards-team-salary/

I count about $95 million in guaranteed salaries, with them releasing cap holds on Mahinmi, Miles, etc. Cap is projected to be $117 million, which means we'd have a ballpark of $20 million in space.

Then I look at the 2020 free agents: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020-nba-free-agency-top-30-players-available-in-next-years-class-led-by-anthony-davis-draymond-green-kyle-lowry/

We have a clear weakness at the 4, and the wing positions need shoring up. My top target would be Paul Millsap. I know he's 34/35....but if we're all about changing the culture, you can bring him in a 1 year deal possibly (the cap is expected to make another jump to $125 million in summer 2021, maybe he goes for 1 last payday then). Derrick Favors would be another option, especially if he shows any outside range this season. Favors has been in the league damn near 10 years and he's only 27.

2020 class is horrendous in terms of superstars/max FAs which isn't relevant to us anyways.
But there are a lot of guys there who could help the Wiz . Gallo, Favors, J Grant, Millsap, Ibaka are all guys we should be looking at to fill holes in our rotation, and won't necessarily have to break the bank. I think Millsap in particular would be great as a vet mentor for Hachimura.

A lot of teams are planning not to spend next summer because they're fantasizing about 2021, so we could swoop in and grab some of the less-heralded players for a bargain.

Return to Washington Wizards