ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#621 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:26 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
https://www.basketballworkouttips.com/chris-paul-shooting-form/

DSJ's struggles are basically his mid-range game and Chris Paul is a master at it. Hopefully, CP3 can perform some Yoda type-mind transplant on DSJ.

The King of Mid-Range

Chris Paul may have the best mid-range pull-up in the NBA. He takes a high percentage of his shots from between 10-feet to the 3pt line.

Let’s compare CP3 to two other elite sharpshooter point-guards, Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry.

% of Shots Made From 10-feet to the 3pt Line:
Chris Paul – 50%
Stephen Curry – 36%
Kyrie Irving – 28%
You can clearly see that Paul easily shoots more pull-ups than both Steph and Kyrie.

Now let’s look at Paul’s shooting percentage compared to Steph from 16-feet to the 3pt line.

% of Shots Made from 16-feet to the 3pt Line:
Chris Paul – 48.7%
Stephen Curry – 39.4%
That’s a big difference!

Chris Paul
Head to Head – Paul and Curry
Chris Paul Shooting Mechanics
Let’s break down Paul’s shooting mechanics and his favorite moves.

Paul is a turn shooter, meaning that he turns his legs when he shoots.

He’s also a dipper when shooting off the pass, meaning that he lowers the ball a bit when catching it before pulling it up.

In addition, he uses the sweep & sway technique (especially when shooting 3s) – his feet move forward and his shoulders sway back. This allows him to get better range and better arc on his shot.

And one more thing Chris does is to hop – he is so quick off the dribble because he dominates with the hop. He hops… and hops… and he’s hard to stop.

I think this is due to his height (5’11”). The smaller the player is, the more he probably needs to hop. And at 5’11”, Paul is a really small guy for the NBA.

But what he lacks in height, he makes up for with his shot. He has made the mid-range pull-up fade-away an impossible shot to block.

And to top it off, he also has a solid floater which enables him to finish over big defenders after he’s done slicing through the defense.

analytics people hate it, but it's free candy if you're a good shooter. teams hardly even defend the midrange anymore. i get the risk/return element. i also get trying to make that same shot a three if you can. but the best shot is an open one. if the defense is handing you the 15-footer, you'd be well served to take the basket.

i wouldn't run a play for it necessarily. but in your reading and reacting you might see an open spot on the floor from the elbow. eat up.

Exactly.
That's actually Kawhi's bread and butter, was Kobe and MJ's as well.

it still works. kawhi just won a title for a rag tag bunch of scrappers doing just that.

i recognize kawhi is a machine and an aberration. but if you got it like that and can shoot 50% from the floor doing it... :dontknow:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#622 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:01 pm

DSJ coming out and showing production much closer to the top end of probabilities people thought were possible when he was drafted would be pretty much the best thing that could happen to the Knicks this season - even better than RJ doing it, IMO. At least with RJ him coming out meh wouldn't necessarily mean anything except needing to be more patient with any potential development. DSJ being a stud would be so incredibly valuable in a guard-driven league because he was acquired at a price far below that and he's entering his third season.

So please make the leap and be awesome this year, Dennis.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,020

Post#623 » by moocow007 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:27 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Former Advanced NBA scout on DSJ’s shot. Should I trust him or the shooting coaches on our board :lol:
Read on Twitter

Heavy ball workouts is actually a very real thing when it comes to basketball training. The goal is to help build strength in fingers, wrist, fore-arms, shoulders, legs, etc. and can be used to improve ball handling, passing and shooting (especially long range shooting). By the sound of the ball hitting the floor (meaty thudding sound), it does sound like a heavy ball.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#624 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:56 am

moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Former Advanced NBA scout on DSJ’s shot. Should I trust him or the shooting coaches on our board :lol:
Read on Twitter

Heavy ball workouts is actually a very real thing when it comes to basketball training. The goal is to help build strength in fingers, wrist, fore-arms, shoulders, legs, etc. and can be used to improve ball handling, passing and shooting (especially long range shooting). By the sound of the ball hitting the floor (meaty thudding sound), it does sound like a heavy ball.

whose hot boy ass notifications are those in the video?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,116

Post#625 » by drekwins » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:42 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:The shot looks ok. It's the FT hitch that needs to be fixed like yesterday. Need him to start hitting at least 70-75% to take advantage of that burst to the rim.

He has always hit 70%. He was injured with the Knicks. He shot 70% in college and with Dallas. His Knicks numbers were an outlier. We were sending out YMCA guys with him.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#626 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 am

DSJ wants to help RJ win Rookie of the Year.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#627 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:07 am

Worst_to_First wrote:

DSJ wants to help RJ win Rookie if the Year.

His maturity is coming around. Sounded more like a leader than he ever has. Now let’s hope he keeps to his word and doesn’t play keep away with the ball.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#628 » by blanko » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 am

we know you can score dennis, it's good that you are working on your shot. Now let's work on defense.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,607

Post#629 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#630 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:

I have big hopes for him. He seems like he’s coming into this season with a chip on his shoulder. Just imagine if he pans out for us...best thing to happen for the Knicks in a minute lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#631 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:15 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

I have big hopes for him. He seems like he’s coming into this season with a chip on his shoulder. Just imagine if he pans out for us...best thing to happen for the Knicks in a minute lol

Imagine if he puts KP on a poster. I don't know if I would prefer that or a championship.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,566

Post#632 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 pm

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#633 » by Sark » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:26 am

Read on Twitter
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#634 » by EliteSmarts » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 am

Zenzibar wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:DSJ worked out with Chris Paul yesterday. Saw it on one of his trainers story on IG.

8-)
Read on Twitter

https://www.basketballworkouttips.com/chris-paul-shooting-form/

DSJ's struggles are basically his mid-range game and Chris Paul is a master at it. Hopefully, CP3 can perform some Yoda type-mind transplant on DSJ.

The King of Mid-Range

Chris Paul may have the best mid-range pull-up in the NBA. He takes a high percentage of his shots from between 10-feet to the 3pt line.

Let’s compare CP3 to two other elite sharpshooter point-guards, Kyrie Irving and Stephen Curry.

% of Shots Made From 10-feet to the 3pt Line:
Chris Paul – 50%
Stephen Curry – 36%
Kyrie Irving – 28%
You can clearly see that Paul easily shoots more pull-ups than both Steph and Kyrie.

Now let’s look at Paul’s shooting percentage compared to Steph from 16-feet to the 3pt line.

% of Shots Made from 16-feet to the 3pt Line:
Chris Paul – 48.7%
Stephen Curry – 39.4%
That’s a big difference!

Chris Paul
Head to Head – Paul and Curry
Chris Paul Shooting Mechanics
Let’s break down Paul’s shooting mechanics and his favorite moves.

Paul is a turn shooter, meaning that he turns his legs when he shoots.

He’s also a dipper when shooting off the pass, meaning that he lowers the ball a bit when catching it before pulling it up.

In addition, he uses the sweep & sway technique (especially when shooting 3s) – his feet move forward and his shoulders sway back. This allows him to get better range and better arc on his shot.

And one more thing Chris does is to hop – he is so quick off the dribble because he dominates with the hop. He hops… and hops… and he’s hard to stop.

I think this is due to his height (5’11”). The smaller the player is, the more he probably needs to hop. And at 5’11”, Paul is a really small guy for the NBA.

But what he lacks in height, he makes up for with his shot. He has made the mid-range pull-up fade-away an impossible shot to block.

And to top it off, he also has a solid floater which enables him to finish over big defenders after he’s done slicing through the defense.

Great analysis dude I knew Chris Paul was a great mid-range shooter but I didn't realize he was so much better than Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving in the mid-range as well
EliteSmarts
Pro Prospect
And1: 969

Post#635 » by EliteSmarts » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:39 am

I'm confident in DSJ skillet. I think he has similar game with Lillard and this season he's going to make a leap, similar to Russell on the Nets. Working with Chris Paul is fantastic news as CP3 is a great mentor to learn from.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#636 » by Swish1906 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Sark wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Smith Senior is a pretty bad influence and is all about money as fast as possible.

First the NCAA stuff and then this whole "staying away from the team" with the Mavs and trying to force a trade because DSJ was "just" playing offguard in Lukas shadow (even DSJ and Luka being really good buddies). But i guess Senior was stressed about the big payday after the rookie contract if DSJ turns into an offguard roleplayer and not a lead guard somewhere else...

Read on Twitter
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#637 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

DSJ wants to help RJ win Rookie if the Year.

His maturity is coming around. Sounded more like a leader than he ever has. Now let’s hope he keeps to his word and doesn’t play keep away with the ball.

DSJ has always been pretty media savvy from what i've seen. he also seems honest, which i appreciate. i don't think he's going to say something just to say it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#638 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Sark wrote:
Read on Twitter

:(

fortunately we see that kind of thing not having impact once the athlete transcends to pro. may hurt the wolfpack tho.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#640 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:56 am

Read on Twitter

LAS VEGAS — Dennis Smith Jr. saw this summer as the right one to undergo a transformation on his jumper.

Those working with him this summer have said it’s drastic. Smith, too.

“It’s a big difference,” he said. “It’s a really big difference. I can feel it. Everybody can see it, from my pops and my friends. Adding that to my game and getting consistent, I think that’s going to open up the floor, not only for me but for everybody else and make my reads a lot easier. It’s major for me.”

Smith believes his work has gotten his shot to a consistent motion, and he will need the changes to stick. He’s hit just 31.6 percent of his 3s over his first two years in the NBA. Of the 150 players in the league last year to take at least 200 pull-up jumpers, Smith’s 35 percent shooting ranked 131st.

A reliable jump shot could help Smith unleash his potential. The No. 9 pick in the 2017 draft has nearly-peerless hops and is among the best point guards at getting to the rim. Even when opponents have given him room to shoot — he shot 179 of his 208 3s last year open or wide-open, as classified by NBA.com — he hasn’t taken advantage; he shot just 32.9 percent on those 3s.

Smith realizes that he’ll need to start producing more this upcoming season, his third in the league. Still only 21, he’s entering a pivotal year. The Knicks will have to make a decision on whether to pick up the fourth year on his contract before the 2019-20 season starts. They also just signed Elfrid Payton, a former lottery pick when general manager Scott Perry was in Orlando’s front office, who could take the starting job away from him.

If there ever was a time to prove himself, Smith knows it’s now. He has memories of falling in the 2017 draft as fuel.

“I think it is,” he said. “I honestly feel I was supposed to be (No. 1), like everybody else in the class. This is the perfect time to come out and prove why I feel that way.”

This summer will allow Smith a chance to reset. He was traded from Dallas to New York midseason, then missed several weeks over the second half due to injury. He’ll spend this offseason working on his conditioning, along with his jumper. More time with Brandon Payne, Steph Curry’s trainer, is in store. So is a summer with Ja-Rell Bailey, his longtime trainer.

The goal, Bailey said, is to get Smith to 192 pounds, which is his ideal playing weight, after Smith spent this past season around 198. Smith is changing his diet and Bailey intends to focus his summer workouts around conditioning, boxing and yoga, all with the intention of getting Smith ready for a heavy workload.

“Just being able to be quicker left to right on defense,” Bailey said. “Working on the jump shot a lot, free throws a lot. Playing 94-foot offense and defense. Getting up the floor 30 times without breaking.”

Bailey traveled to Las Vegas with Smith this week, but Smith has also spent time working with Chris Paul while he’s here. The two have known each other for years. Paul tried to get a teenaged Smith to play for his AAU team in North Carolina. Paul, the Rockets’ star point guard, says they’ve been working on their dribbling and handle, among other things.

“Dennis is special, special,” Paul told The Athletic. “I think being here with Fiz, getting an opportunity to play, getting up and down, I was happy for him when he got traded to the Knicks last year because he got that New York grind in him.”

He added: “We were just talking about how as you learn the game more and more, it slows down for you. I think with Dennis, everything is confidence. Having Fiz backing him, and his teammates and all that, if he gets the city of New York behind him — you should have seen all of North Carolina behind him. He’s got it.”

Return to New York Knicks