Pacers sign TJ McConnell

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: Pacers sign TJ McConnell 

Post#21 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:41 pm

I like. Sounds like our kind of guy.

I've read before that every NBA player has a nickname (or gets a nickname) so it won't necessarily be the case that there will be confusion in the locker room, LOL. In any case, they all have different given names, so they can just avoid using initials perhaps. For the curious, they're Ty Jacob, Tony Jr., and Timothy John according to BR.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#22 » by Jake0890 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Don’t like this unless he’s not cutting into Holiday and Sumner.

I see Holiday fluid at the 1 and 2. I see Brogdon being fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. I've seen the Indystar list Lamb as fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. Warren at 3/4. I could see Dougie as a 2/3. Vic as our 2. McConnell as a 1. Alize as a 3/4/5.

I think with rest and proper game planning, it can work out just fine. Though, I think TJ is clearly the 3rd PG in pecking order. Maybe a bit more money, or an extra year, to sign on for a year over a lesser role?

Agree on Sumner, but not sure I see Aaron Holiday having the size or strength to play the two...

I'm just saying hopefully Holiday is the #2 PG going into the season. But the fact that McConnell was averaging 19mpg last season and signed a 2 year deal at 27 years old, I'd figure he has some expectation of similar playing time.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#23 » by Grang33r » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:18 pm

We're talking about a third string point guard here? I feel like, a guy who is decent and has NBA experience, which this guy does, you can't really be too disappointed in the signing. I can't imagine he would get more playing time then Holiday, after the Pacers essentially told teams in the past few months that he's off limits. As a third stringer, i think it's an upgrade over someone like Joe Young or Donald Sloan that we've had in the past.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:45 am

Jake0890 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:Don’t like this unless he’s not cutting into Holiday and Sumner.

I see Holiday fluid at the 1 and 2. I see Brogdon being fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. I've seen the Indystar list Lamb as fluid at the 1, 2, and 3. Warren at 3/4. I could see Dougie as a 2/3. Vic as our 2. McConnell as a 1. Alize as a 3/4/5.

I think with rest and proper game planning, it can work out just fine. Though, I think TJ is clearly the 3rd PG in pecking order. Maybe a bit more money, or an extra year, to sign on for a year over a lesser role?

Agree on Sumner, but not sure I see Aaron Holiday having the size or strength to play the two...

I'm just saying hopefully Holiday is the #2 PG going into the season. But the fact that McConnell was averaging 19mpg last season and signed a 2 year deal at 27 years old, I'd figure he has some expectation of similar playing time.

Offensively the two. Not defensively on Holiday.

Otherwise, this is a 3rd PG salary nowadays unless you go vet minimum or undrafted type of guy. I think you’ll see McConnell and Sumner battle for minutes early in the season since we could start Brogdon at the 1 or 2.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#25 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:02 am

Great signing. Dude is a prototypical Pacer. Kev continues to have a great off season.

For people saying I hope he doesn’t cut into Holidays minutes... guess what... Aaron has a chance to prevent that in training camp. If he can’t beat out McConnell then he’s just a 3rd string PG anyways.

Let’s not act like we brought in Conley to take away Ja Morants minutes.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:23 am

Even better

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#27 » by Pacersike » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:18 am

pacers33granger wrote:
MNPacersfan wrote:I think that what's really been lost in this is that the Pacers have now acquired all the TJ's in the league.

We cornered the market on CJs a few years back too, so maybe it's our thing.

All the Hills were ours for a moment as well.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#28 » by Moooose » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:12 pm

I like this signing very much. One of my wish list for the offseason. Good and always a willing defender, highly intellectual, and very professional. Obviously not much of a scorer and is very selective of his shots and needs to have an outside shot.

On him pairing with Holiday together on the court, I am not so sure either as I was thinking more of time sharing. Holiday is not really a playmaker. Never was. But he can definitely play 2 and Holiday's actually a good one on one defender especially if he gets stronger.
Maybe a matchup call if the other teams go small in the backcourt? He will get more minutes if Brogdon needs to be rested or eased into next season.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#29 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:38 pm

you need 3 point guards if only for injuries and foul trouble. that box is now checked.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:37 pm

Wizop wrote:you need 3 point guards if only for injuries and foul trouble. that box is now checked.

I also like not having a 2nd rookie contract/young guy. TJ is 27. He knows his spot and that he’s getting around $4.5m no matter what. $7m if he makes it worth it for us. I like how that chemistry comes together better than bringing in a guy like Dunn.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#31 » by pacers33granger » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:you need 3 point guards if only for injuries and foul trouble. that box is now checked.

I also like not having a 2nd rookie contract/young guy. TJ is 27. He knows his spot and that he’s getting around $4.5m no matter what. $7m if he makes it worth it for us. I like how that chemistry comes together better than bringing in a guy like Dunn.

Yeah I had kind of been interested in Dunn since he fit into our remaining space prior to this signing and seemingly could be had for free. But I had wanted to use him in a role it seems the team has envisioned for Sumner, so not much of a point. Plus he's looking for his next contract.
PTA
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#32 » by PTA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't think this deal has been finalized yet. I don't see a press conference.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 pm

PTA wrote:

Correct. Some final formalities of the contract are apparently still being ironed out. Probably guarantee dates, since the last year is only $1m guaranteed.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#34 » by Grang33r » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
PTA wrote:

Correct. Some final formalities of the contract are apparently still being ironed out. Probably guarantee dates, since the last year is only $1m guaranteed.

Yeah i was wondering whats taking so long also. In any case, he's already in Pacers mode-

The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#35 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:18 pm

contract was signed today. (7/29). Sumner's too.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#36 » by Boneman2 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:13 pm

"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers