ImageImageImage

Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2019 off-season 

Post#61 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 pm

NatiboyB wrote:shouldn't we have moved or waived JR Smith by now even with that agreement for a few extra days? also I'd bring Criss back before Yabu.

I think the new deadline was 15th so unless they extend it again, he will be off the roster by 16th
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#62 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254843/Celtics-Waive-Guerschon-Yabuselelooks like the Dancing Bear is available... still has some solid upside and would be a nice pickup for us...I mean it's difficult to gauge his value given his per 36 numbers are really good but he rarely saw the court for Boston. I would definitely give him that 15th roster spot.
If you don't know this guy here is a couple highlights from 17-18:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Boston drafted him and didn't want him to have the bust label. They're really, really thin at PF. If they cut him loose in spite of all of that, it's not a good sign.

Also, read the reviews on the Celtics board. Yikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

idk I mean he never got any PT to speak of with AH on the roster and they do have some decent bigs besides him still so I don't think it's a case where he is a bust, but they may have felt they over picked him given some of the later taken prospects have done more , but then again those that have were also given a lot more opportunities in the past couple seasons.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#63 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Stillwater wrote:
NatiboyB wrote:shouldn't we have moved or waived JR Smith by now even with that agreement for a few extra days? also I'd bring Criss back before Yabu.

I think the new deadline was 15th so unless they extend it again, he will be off the roster by 16th

I thought it was August 1st.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#64 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

wait you saying they extended it a 2nd time already? august 1st was the latest it could get extended to but I thought they had until the 15th on the 1st one before they had to renegotiate another extension to the 8-1 deadline
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#65 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think the new deadline was 15th so unless they extend it again, he will be off the roster by 16th

wait you saying they extended it a 2nd time already? august 1st was the latest it could get extended to but I thought they had until the 15th on the 1st one before they had to renegotiate another extension to the 8-1 deadline

Maybe I misread the report. I thought the initial report said it was extended to the 1st of Aug, maybe I was mistaken and it was the 15th.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,155

Post#66 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254843/Celtics-Waive-Guerschon-Yabuselelooks like the Dancing Bear is available... still has some solid upside and would be a nice pickup for us...I mean it's difficult to gauge his value given his per 36 numbers are really good but he rarely saw the court for Boston. I would definitely give him that 15th roster spot.
If you don't know this guy here is a couple highlights from 17-18:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Boston drafted him and didn't want him to have the bust label. They're really, really thin at PF. If they cut him loose in spite of all of that, it's not a good sign.

idk I mean he never got any PT to speak of with AH on the roster and they do have some decent bigs besides him still so I don't think it's a case where he is a bust, but they may have felt they over picked him given some of the later taken prospects have done more , but then again those that have were also given a lot more opportunities in the past couple seasons.
Sounds like he showed up at Vegas pushing up close to 300lbs and is being badly outplayed. If you're getting sonned at summer league after being in the league for as long as he has, you're not an NBA player.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm

I'm really hoping for a third choice in that scenario.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#68 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Yeah, I don't know about that. Boston drafted him and didn't want him to have the bust label. They're really, really thin at PF. If they cut him loose in spite of all of that, it's not a good sign.

Sounds like he showed up at Vegas pushing up close to 300lbs and is being badly outplayed. If you're getting sonned at summer league after being in the league for as long as he has, you're not an NBA player.

if that's true I guess he just doesn't care about Boston and wanted out... I doubt somebody who is a competitor would have any interest in continuing to stink up the bench instead of getting some minutes on a lesser team to try to improve his game.
He apparently has not developed much from the time he was brought over , but I attribute that to Boston being poor at player development these days.
Or maybe he is done with basketball and would rather eat doughnuts
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:00 pm

I think the main reasoning why Boston waived the dancing bear in addition to having Grant Williams on the roster now was in order to clear a spot for Tacko who I would love to see the Cavs sweep in and grab asap.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Stillwater wrote:I think the main reasoning why Boston waived the dancing bear in addition to having Grant Williams on the roster now was in order to clear a spot for Tacko who I would love to see the Cavs sweep in and grab asap.
Tacko strikes me as a two-way contract guy. He's still really raw and years away from being able to contribute at the NBA level.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#71 » by substancej » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 pm

I really think we should try to keep Henson at all costs.

He's leagues above Zizic.
Kevin Love finna get traded
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#72 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think the main reasoning why Boston waived the dancing bear in addition to having Grant Williams on the roster now was in order to clear a spot for Tacko who I would love to see the Cavs sweep in and grab asap.
Tacko strikes me as a two-way contract guy. He's still really raw and years away from being able to contribute at the NBA level.

Thats where we disagree, I mean he has shown to be pretty reasonably skilled arounf the basket and his iq is far from raw...
but yeah he can't hit a ft to save his life.
I just like him as a long term development player that is worth keeping durring the rebuild to see if he can improve that ft shooting enough to get in games late, because his impact defensively along with a lock for 3 or 4 easy dunks in 7-10 minutes off the bench can be a game changer not to mention how much he alters offenses just being out there and would definitely give us a rim protector that is far more athletic than most realize.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 pm

substancej wrote:I really think we should try to keep Henson at all costs.

I agree if he wants to be here and they can work out a fair deal after this year, but I think he will be moved and probably wants to be on a team farther along in the rebuild process.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 pm

His entire career consists of having a single game like that and then playing very mediocre ball for months. There's a reason he's not being guarded on a majority of those shots.

The Bucks held out hope for him for years before adding a first to dump Delly and him. It's a contract year so maybe he'll play inspired, but if the Cavs can get good value for him in a trade, they shouldn't hesitate. No on one roster who is over the age of 25 is a keep at all costs player.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#75 » by substancej » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 am

jbk1234 wrote:

His entire career consists of having a single game like that and then playing very mediocre ball for months. There's a reason he's not being guarded on a majority of those shots.

The Bucks held out hope for him for years before adding a first to dump Delly and him. It's a contract year so maybe he'll play inspired, but if the Cavs can get good value for him in a trade, they shouldn't hesitate. No on one roster who is over the age of 25 is a keep at all costs player.

Yeah, well Zizic could only dream to have as good as production as Henson. Zizic is basically a waste of a roster spot.
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 am

substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yeah, well Zizic could only dream to have as good as production as Henson. Zizic is basically a waste of a roster spot.
He's making the league minimum and can match up against guys like Drummond, Embid, and Kanter. I'm not say Zizic is a great player. He's a third string center who provides value commensurate with what you're paying him. If Bolden can provide the same production, I've got no problem moving Zizic.

Nance is really the only big I'd identify as a keeper.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#77 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Nwaba gone
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nwaba gone
We're going to be the worst defensive team in the NBA next year.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#79 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nwaba gone
We're going to be the worst defensive team in the NBA next year.

yep thats what happens when you prioritize offense early in a rebuild,which i am fine with since they at least are committed to it and are not using moderation tactics. some of these kids could become defenders but i think in a lot of ways it makes sense to target defense next summer.
esp considering a decent role playing defender can usually he had late first.
But I'm actually hoping they targeting Jalen Smith if they are in the 5-10 range on draft night
and with the early top 5 including 2 centers in Wiseman and Stewart both projected to be high level defenders etc I think they should be able to at least hit on some interior defense next summer bare minimum.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Cavs are supposedly kicking the tires on Bender.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers