Future draft classes

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: Future draft classes 

Post#1741 » by nolang1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Does anyone have a feel yet for the top 21’ guys?

Kuminga Clark Baldwin Holmgren

I like Kuminga the best, think he'll go into the draft as the best two-way wing prospect since at least Tatum. He needs to keep improving his shot, but it's not busted and he's physical enough that he'll be able to play 4 quite a bit. Clarke is pretty old (a year and a month older than Kuminga) and I'd bet on him reclassifying eventually. Baldwin is about guaranteed to have a 10+ year NBA career as a 6'8 wing who can really shoot, but he's more of a finesse player and not too explosive so I have a hard time seeing him as a future #1 offensive option. Holmgren will get Bol Bol comparisons as an anemically skinny shot-blocking three-point shooter and at least plays with more of an edge to make up for being not quite as tall and long as Bol.

The two 2021 players who looked the best during FIBA U16s were Jabari Smith and AJ Griffin. I wrote about them both earlier in the page, but Smith in particular belongs right up there with the players you mentioned; he kind of splits the difference between Kuminga's defensive versatility and Baldwin's shooting.
crows2
Senior
And1: 557

Post#1742 » by crows2 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:03 am

EricAnderson wrote:Does anyone have a feel yet for the top 21’ guys?

Kuminga Clark Baldwin Holmgren

Here’s a look at the top 2021 performers in the EYBL. Banchero and Hardy have been impressive.

https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/1031815
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#1743 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-is-streaming-818-games-live-and-free-from-across-europe-this-summer

Just a heads up - FIBA will be streaming every game of their european summer events. Not sure it's accessible in the outside Europe, but that's probably an easy work around with a proxy/vpn.
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#1744 » by Curtis Lemansky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 am

how is 2020 draft looking in terms of star power / depth?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#1745 » by splendidham » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Australia's u19 would've been a lot of fun if they brought in any of their US based talent - Makur Maker, Josh Green, and Jayden Stone, namely.

Unfortunately the best we can put out there is Froling and Wigness and that only got us so far.

Pity we couldn’t get Mojave in playing with us, too. Hopefully sometime soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1746 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 pm

splendidham wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Australia's u19 would've been a lot of fun if they brought in any of their US based talent - Makur Maker, Josh Green, and Jayden Stone, namely.

Unfortunately the best we can put out there is Froling and Wigness and that only got us so far.

Yeah hopefully his citizenship stuff gets worked out asap. Don't want a Chima Moneke situation.

I watched Mojave last night playing for NBA Academy, absolutely dominated.
TYO23
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#1747 » by TYO23 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:34 am

I saw all over twitter that Kuminga outplayed Jalen Johnson and Baldwin Jr yesterday in a head to head matchup at peach jam.
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#1748 » by splendidham » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:22 am

GimmeDat wrote:
splendidham wrote:

Yeah hopefully his citizenship stuff gets worked out asap. Don't want a Chima Moneke situation.

I watched Mojave last night playing for NBA Academy, absolutely dominated.

As did I. His athleticism really pops. Really quick. His shot in the first game looked pretty off honestly but last night it looked nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#1749 » by EricAnderson » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong I don’t see many hs games I’m just going by what I see on social media and websites from people who cover this for a living but there seems to be a lack of elite potentially franchise changing players in HS.

From the sounds of it the only one with that type of potential currently is Emoni Bates
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,831

Post#1750 » by ejftw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:33 am

Class of '21 guys I've seen more than a handful of times, in person/live games: Devin Askew, Jaden Hardy, Paolo Banchero, Nathan Bittle, Isa Silva, Peyton Watson, DaRon Holmes, Reese Dixon, TyTy Washington, AJ Burgin, Jahmai Mashack, Malik Thomas, Wilhelm Breidnbach, Tyler Powell, TJ Wainwright, Shaqir O'Neal, Harrison Hornery & Frankie Collins.

Really believe Askew is vastly underrated, he's a true point guard that can flip the switch whenever needed.

Malik Thomas is a good utility guy as well, doesn't really have any major holes in his game.

AJ Burgin is one of my favorites to watch. Dude really LOVES to lock his opponent down.

TJ Wainwright has a sweet shot.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,831

Post#1751 » by ejftw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 am

Curtis Lemansky wrote:how is 2020 draft looking in terms of star power / depth?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app

As of now, no one really stands out to me as a huge franchise changer. Wiseman/Edwards/RJ/Anthony are the guys with the highest ceilings, I'd say as of now.

Plenty of potential solid depth as well, guys like Juzang, Josh Green, Lewis, Mobley, Carey, McDaniels and Mannion are expected to be mid to late teens.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1752 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:00 am

A couple of Australian names I'm tracking (they're usually the only guys I follow intently of future draft classes so I usually stick to talking about them) -

If anyone's wondering who I was talking about above - Mojave King is unanimously being considered the #1 prospect out of the NBA Academy games that just wrapped up. Per 247/Evan Daniels he's "made it clear over the last year he's one of the world's top 2021 prospects".

I don't know exactly how high he projects to be in 2021 but to me he's probably the best Australian prospect I've seen outside of Josh Green/Makur Maker. Seen him listed anywhere from 6'4 to 6'6, my understanding is the wingspans a few inches bigger than the height, but he's a great athlete both vertically and speed wise, and a really blistering 3 point shooter. High IQ/plays hard. Just how high the upside is depends on the creation stuff, he's only 16 right now and haven't seen much advanced initiator stuff just yet.

Other guy worth tracking is Josh Giddey, came out of nowhere and is getting some NBA potential buzz, I know people over here really love him. PG with great feel/passing who recently shot up to 6'7.

There's one more, mentioned him before here, Tamuri Wigness, just a super dynamic on ball scorer/passer, great handle and insane speed. 17 years old, just played U19 FIBA, will play U17 Oceania next month along with Giddey. If he has a growth spurt he's a sure-fire NBA guy imo, as it stands right now he's 5'11 or so though and obviously will have to be elite to crack the league at that height. He's likely playing in the NBL next season so might get to see him go against LaMelo/RJ and co.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#1753 » by DirtyDez » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:01 am

Better prospect at the same age Mobley or Ayton at the same age?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#1754 » by King Ken » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:02 am

DirtyDez wrote:Better prospect at the same age Mobley or Ayton at the same age?

Mobley, Ayton made significant strides at Arizona but in HS, Mobley.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#1755 » by Justwar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Ayton is the better player. Mobley is way overrated
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,078

Post#1756 » by The-Power » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:20 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong I don’t see many hs games I’m just going by what I see on social media and websites from people who cover this for a living but there seems to be a lack of elite potentially franchise changing players in HS.

From the sounds of it the only one with that type of potential currently is Emoni Bates

Don't buy into that. Which players are truly franchise-changing is for the most part impossible to predict that early. Look at the last ten years and which players have truly changed their franchise(s).

That would be Curry, Harden, Leonard, Davis (in terms of talent at least), Lillard, Giannis, Embiid and Jokic. Some others are debatable and some others can still get there but that would be a rough list. How many of them would have been labeled ‘elite potentially franchise changing players’ a couple years before the draft?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#1757 » by clyde21 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 pm

Adem Bona looks like a monster rim protector
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#1758 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 pm

Anyone have any early thoughts on Jonathan Kuminga? I think its always hard to gauge just how good 6'7-6'8 athletic wings are in high school. So many of them look so dominant. But damn the more I see about this kid the more I see why he is #1 in his class for 2021 (2022 draft class). The dude is an effortless athlete, has tremendous body control, the jumper is slow and across his face but it looks workable to me.

I would love for him to reclassify to the 2020 class (born in October). Kuminga, Cade, Green, Johnson and Ziaire would look to be a crazy strong wing class (said the same about 2018 and we saw how that kind of fell apart haha).
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#1759 » by clyde21 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 pm

only glanced quickly at some Kuminga vids but he didn't see as athletic as many people say he is the first go around.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1760 » by GimmeDat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 am

A couple of updates on some of the aforementioned Aus. prospects (sorry for banging on but they're the few prospects this far out I follow closely enough to talk about) -

Josh Giddey (2021 PG, 6'7, currently 16)

He's come out of no where to be probably our most talked about prospect. He has offers from Arizona, Baylor, Utah, Iowa State, TCU +. Also interest from Louisville and Wake Forest.

Just finished playing in the FIBA Oceania u17's, was a bit of a waste of time because the quality of opponent was so low, but we had 2 games against NZ who provide decent competition and he had 25/8/5 w/ 6 steals (9/11 FG, 2 TO's) and 26/5/7 with 2 steals (8/15 FG, 2 TO's) in those 2 games. Just clearly the best guy out there.

Great size for the PG spot, who knows may even grow to be a big wing initiator type prospect, has excellent feel for the game, great passer, very all-around high IQ type. Needs to keep working on his jumper, shot 4/13 at the aforementioned Oceania's from 3 and 18/23 FT.

Mojave King (2021 SG, 6'6, currently 17)

The talk has been NBA bound, probable 1st rounder, but early days. Hasn't played for Aus. in any tournaments yet because he's still clearing up his citizenship but grew up here.

The next in line of Aus. prospects with a former US import father ala Simmons, Bolden, Green, etc., one of the most athletic prospects we've had come through of late, really quick and can rise up. Evan Daniels said he was the best prospect at the NBA Academy Games (which included Giddey). Shoots the 3 really well, 18/36 at those Academy Games, for instance, scores well but within the offense.

"King’s father, Leonard told 247Sports that multiple colleges have established contact, and include Iowa, TCU, Louisville, LSU, St. Mary’s, SMU, UCF, Charlotte, Arizona, Portland, USC, UConn, , Oklahoma, Colorado, George Washington, Ole Miss, Maryland and Miami." - so plenty of interest on the college front.

Luke Travers (2020 SF, 6'7, currently 17)

He's planning on taking the NBL route as opposed to the college one, which has him going under a lot of radars, but a lot of people over here are extremely high on him and believe he's NBA bound. A solid athlete, defender, does a bit of everything, my understanding is his jumper still needs some work but not bad, but he has standout feel/passing, like Giddey. 'A jumpshot away from a top level elite prospect'. He has been compared by many over here that watched Ingles grow up to him in that respect. Just signed on to be a 'development player' (i.e. unpaid so retains college eligibility) for the Perth Wildcats, who are the basically the Spurs level org. of the NBL. He's leaving the door open for college just in case, but at this time he's deemed college 'not for him' so I doubt we see him go over.

I've only seen Travers play at the u17 WC last year and he impressed me, probably the best player on that team.

They're probably the big 3 guys right now that are Australian based (until they head to college, ofc). Of course you've got Makur Maker (latest talk is NBL is a legitimate option for him instead of college but it'll depend on how LaMelo/RJ go) and Josh Green as the existing big name prospects.

There's more out there that *could* be something, but thought I'd stick to the guys who look like legitimate 1st rounders at this stage. More peripheral names are Tamuri Wigness (I love this guy but he has a pretty set jumper and at 5'11 that probably breaks his NBA chances, desperately hoping he has another growth spurt), Jayden Stone (US based, 2020 SG, has had some great college offers), Sam Froling (left Creighton to play NBL this season, might even start on LaMelo's team, both he and his brother could get NBA interest very soon). Alex Ducas is a guy starting at Saint Mary's who can really score as well.

Return to NBA Draft