Anfernee Simons-Potential?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Anfernee Simons-Potential? 

Post#1 » by LSandersBong » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Heya Bucks fan here !

Might be going out on a limb here, but does anyone else see borderline allstar potential in Anfernee? Haven't watched heaps of Anfernee but based of the last game of the regular season (yeah I know both teams weren't playing there best players) and summer league (summer league lol). His shooting and overall scoring plus the ability to be primary ball handler at times really looks like someone who could be a special offensive player. Haven't watched enough to make a fair assessment of his defense but apparently its okish/average?

Probably won't be able to achieve his ceiling playing behind CJ and Dame, but if he had the opportunity to play starter minutes for the Blazers or else where could easily see him average 20 PPG and a few assists on good efficiency and if was to play in the east in the future maybe make an all star team or 2 in his prime.

Am I being way too optimistic or does anyone else see something special here?
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Re: Anfernee Simons-Potential? 

Post#2 » by Roy The Natural » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:38 pm

LSandersBong wrote:Heya Bucks fan here !

Might be going out on a limb here, but does anyone else see borderline allstar potential in Anfernee? Haven't watched heaps of Anfernee but based of the last game of the regular season (yeah I know both teams weren't playing there best players) and summer league (summer league lol). His shooting and overall scoring plus the ability to be primary ball handler at times really looks like someone who could be a special offensive player. Haven't watched enough to make a fair assessment of his defense but apparently its okish/average?

Probably won't be able to achieve his ceiling playing behind CJ and Dame, but if he had the opportunity to play starter minutes for the Blazers or else where could easily see him average 20 PPG and a few assists on good efficiency and if was to play in the east in the future maybe make an all star team or 2 in his prime.

Am I being way too optimistic or does anyone else see something special here?

I think you're preaching to the choir. We've all seen it, and most believe in it. The likely scenario is that CJ is probably not going to come back after his current contract. ESPECIALLY if Simons starts to take off this year. You'll probably be CJ moved for a player who better balances the roster, and the Blazers will expect Simons to come in at the 2.

Simons to me has all the makings of a 20+ppg guy. His shot is butter, his handles are there (could use some tightening up though), he's got natural length and athleticism. He's probably going to at least be a 6MotY competitor at a minimum.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#3 » by Blazinaway » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 pm

seems to me what you are asking is could he become CJ basically? I have read Lou Williams as well but for me is its way too early, I have hope he may be pretty good but lets give it a season
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#4 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 pm

It's early.

He does look like he has that x-factor. Different. Noticeable. As a rough comparison, not all comic book figures are of equal ability or skill. Mutant vs. otherworldly vs. practically divine vs. ... but what's different about a heroic figure becomes apparent.

Simons as a future all star? 6th man microwave catalyst? I don't know. But he's different from most NBA players. What he's able to work upon and become will take time.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm

It's very early for he's likely still growing and will fill out.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#6 » by Soulyss » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Right now he reminds me of that Lou Williams / Jamal Crawford 6th Man microwave offense kind guy... It's unclear if his ability to score will translate to court vision that helps others score... Is his assist rate a measure of what the team is asking for him to do, or is it tunnel vision? For him to be an All-Star he's going to need to show an ability to make other better.
plyrically
Junior
And1: 49

Post#7 » by plyrically » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Baring a colossal failure (not making the playoffs?) I don’t see Blazers moving CJ so fast
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,519

Post#8 » by zzaj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 am

He's obviously got a knack for scoring the basketball. What will get him into an ASG is if he can do so with consistency. Plenty of players could put up 20+ one night and 3 points the next...Jamal Crawford has made a career out of it. But putting up 20+ in 3 out of 4 games? Different story, and exponentially more difficult. Once you can do that than you make others better by proxy simply by warping defenses.

One of the things keeping Simons' ceiling slightly low is his body. His body is never going to be a thick, Wes Mathews type. Right now he has issues getting knocked off balance and diverted on his drives and finishing. Let's hope he can continue to add some core strength and weight without sacrificing any quickness.
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#9 » by Blazer50 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 am

Made this point on another thread- but you have to realize Simons came out of the IMG program - and is 20yr - 1mo. CJ had 4 years in college to develop his game. Blazers probably want to see Simons development give them the option of moving CJ - which will leave them with 3 major contracts to choose from in finishing their roster. Nice problem for Olshey to work out!
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#10 » by Goldbum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 am

To me he showed that he can keep his eyes up and make plays for other guys that last game of the year. I feel like his instructions now are more along the lines of “get to your spots... pass out of double teams”. When he was just doing his thing he facilitated the best game if Skal’s career. He doesn’t need to be a pass first guy, just put pressure on the defense and take what’s given. Understand the difference between a good play and a bad one. That would be enough for me year two. Let your obscene scoring talent produce plays, some for yourself, some for others. Spend time off ball as a decoy. Then when you receive the pass decide quickly creating a sort of residual gravity that slows down defensive rotations.
I believe Trent, Bazemore, Skal and Mario offer enough spacing to allow ANT to shine.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
LSandersBong
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#11 » by LSandersBong » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks some interesting input haha not alone in what I see, yeah its going to be exciting to see how he develops, based on what I've seen so far he seems to have strong shot selection and can control the pace of a game rather then your typical microwave 6th man scorer but who knows at this stage.

Never really understood the trade CJ narrative, sure not a huge back court but based on the trail blazers results and lack of other talent surrounding Dame and CJ I think if anything they've over achieved together. If Simons develops and makes CJ expendable that would be awesome but CJs a pretty good player would have to be an allstar in return.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#12 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I am very high on Simons, but he is a 6th man until his body really fills out IMO. And thats probably2-3 years away.

I think his potential is around that Lou Williams role, but Simons seems to have better PG instincts IMO. He has a smoothness on offense that I compare to Jeremy Lamb.

One thing is certain, he was a born to score a basketball. He just looks so natural on offense.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by dunlop212 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Having three elite players in the back court is intriguing. Brings to mind the Blazer team that went out and acquired Ainge after being beaten by Detroit's three guard combo in the finals. Unfortunately, salary cap concerns may dictate moving CJ at some point to balance the roster.

Simons' ceiling? A CJ with 2 guard size.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#14 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:04 pm

LSandersBong wrote:Thanks some interesting input haha not alone in what I see, yeah its going to be exciting to see how he develops, based on what I've seen so far he seems to have strong shot selection and can control the pace of a game rather then your typical microwave 6th man scorer but who knows at this stage.

Never really understood the trade CJ narrative, sure not a huge back court but based on the trail blazers results and lack of other talent surrounding Dame and CJ I think if anything they've over achieved together. If Simons develops and makes CJ expendable that would be awesome but CJs a pretty good player would have to be an allstar in return.

It's about balance. I don't think anybody wants to trade CJ just to trade him. It's that the Blazers have been just plain awful at the forward spots for about 4 years now. The forward spots are the most important in the NBA. Portland needs something at those spots, and at least in my view they have solid players capable of replacing a good bit of CJs production.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:38 pm

dunlop212 wrote:Simons' ceiling? A CJ with 2 guard size.

Simons was measured as being the exact same height in the combine as CJ...6'2.25. He had a 3 inch wingspan advantage but only about a 1 inch wingspan advantage on Lillard. CJ has a bit of the T-Rex arm syndrome

now it's possible, since he was measured when 19, he has grown a little, but even then, he'd likely be in the range of Beal or Oladipo, SG's a little on the small-side. He'll always be at a disadvantage, height-wise, against SG's like Klay or Devin Booker or Khris Middleton
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#16 » by d-train » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Has Simon improved his status from "potential" to "potential bust"? The only difference so far is expectations have gone from nothing to near all-star in extreme opinions.

My expectations for Simon are unchanged. I haven't seen any reason to raise my expectation.
dunlop212
Senior
And1: 83

Post#17 » by dunlop212 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression that wingspan means more than height re defense. So longterm, I think Simons will be better at guarding twos than CJ. Neither of them are postup guys.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#18 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 pm

dunlop212 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression that wingspan means more than height re defense. So longterm, I think Simons will be better at guarding twos than CJ. Neither of them are postup guys.

wingspan can be important, but anticipation, reflex, and lateral mobility are more important. I haven't seen enough of Simons on D against good NBA players to know if he has any of that

it wouldn't take much for him to be a better defender than CJ
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#19 » by Goldbum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:45 am

Simons is drastically more athletic than CJ...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#20 » by Goldbum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:45 am

Simons is drastically more athletic than CJ...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers