2019 Off-Season Questions

Moderator: G R E Y

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 am

1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

4. Who are you willing to trade?
NYG
RealGM

Re: 2019 Off-Season Questions 

Post#2 » by NYG » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:11 am

Cklbmk wrote:.

What’s your take?
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#3 » by Mykhyn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:27 am

Gay- 95%. Spur for life... hopefully
Pondexter- 10% 2 1sts need his roster spot
Cunningham-10% 2 1sts need his roster spot
Gasol-50% Depends if he really wants out

2. SF // be competitive for rest of Pops career

3. :(

1 of Mills / Forbes
Belinelli
Lonnie Walker(if Pop doesn't retire)
Poeltl(if big coming back, Gasol resigns, or Metu shows hes ready)

If Pop retires... it doesn't make sense trading Lonnie Walker. The main argument to trade him is he looks about 2 years away and Pop doesn't have that long
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,253

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:41 am

NYG wrote:1. Who are your free agents and what percentage would you put on them re-signing?

Gay - I hope he stays if he is healthy 95%
Pondexter - He is just a roster fill this year 0%
Cunningham - Another roster fill 0%
Gasol - Isnt a FA, but I would like him to go because of his huge salary cap hit

NYG wrote:2. What are your team needs and the overall short term goals of the team?

Weed need a wing that can spread the floor and play defense.
We also need a big that can spread the floor to play next to Aldridge(Like a 25 year old Gasol)

NYG wrote:3. Is there any reason your coach may not be in place next year?

Pop is here until the Olympics are over in 2020

NYG wrote:4. Who are you willing to trade?

Gasol
Mills(PLEASE!)
Poeltl(if we get a big in return)
One of our first round picks if we get someone useful
I would even be open to trading DeRozan if we can get something back that fits our system better with Aldridge.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#5 » by Phreak50 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:33 am

I honestly think we missed a big opportunity to trade Aldridge for some youth/picks.

He had his 56 point game, made the allstar team and there were a bunch of teams in win now mode at the deadline.

We are not competing to win it all in the next few years so it’s just wasting Aldridge and the Spurs’ time.

We could have said thanks for your efforts and good luck on a contender.
NYG
RealGM

Post#6 » by NYG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:31 am

If Pop retires, who gets hired?

Do you trade DeRozan and Aldridge?
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,429

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Well thankfully Pop is back on a three-year deal. We did lose two assistants so that has to be addressed. RC touched upon it in the post-draft presser, saying that they have a list of candidates, but there are steps to address before then (draft, FA, Pop's Team USA commitment this summer). I'm sure it's an ongoing process.

What would be fair for us to pay Rudy and for it to be enticing to stay? I think $12M-$13M (tops) range, around 2 years or 2+1? He is eligible for up to $17M/yr in Early Bird rights, but oh my God, wow:
Since he’s been with the Spurs for two seasons, the Spurs now have Early Bird rights to Rudy. That means they can offer him a deal starting at 175 percent of what he made last season (would be roughly $17 million) and up to four years in length, with eight percent annual raises. That is a lot of money. Now, Gay is not going to get the maximum in years and likely not the max yearly sum either, but there’s one thing that is non-negotiable: in order to use Early Bird rights to him, the minimum the Spurs can offer him is a two-year contract, as is stipulated in the collective bargaining agreement.

Interesting possibilities are outlined in the article. Worth a read.
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/5/27/18640042/re-signing-rudy-gay-could-be-tricky-for-the-spurs

It looks as if we are not (since we have not yet) signing and bringing over Nikola Milutivov:
Read on Twitter

Could this be related to Rudy? If we retain Rudy, we will have 14 players on the roster. Our bigs rotation consists of LMA(4/5), Rudy (3/4), Davis (4), Jakob (5), Drew (5 - he's been working on his range this summer, hitting 3s with ease - in practice), and Metu (4), though he might need more seasoning (had the worst stats among him, Lonnie and Drew last season - have to look the details again). Perhaps Luka gets some minutes, but I'd expect most of his time will be developing in Austin.

We had a glut of guards going into the draft, and with our last two picks we chose Johnson who is a 2/3 (can guard 1-4, if it's small ball 4, and said he played 2,3,4 in UK), and a combo guard in Quinndary. So instead of relieving our guard glut, we added to it but in interesting ways. It looks as if in the future we will no longer go with a Hobbit back court. Quinndary is 6'4" and is the shortest of the three. What I think happens is these guys develop in Austin and when they're ready to step up we'll have many options with Bryn, Marco, Davis.

We still do not have a true 3, so if we stand pat, it'll be 3-by-committee. Rudy can be one, but his starter role is likely behind him. We have to tender a QO to F Ben Moore, who was injured and rehabbed and played in Austin, so we'll see how that progresses. There's been some speculation about Spurs and Pacers FA Bojan Bogdanovic, but we cannot afford him unless we trade players away and free up cap space (where the guard glut speculation comes in; then again, it's always great to have back ups for backs, as the last couple of years have taught us). He's a Spursy type of player, but at 30, does he fit our timeline? I wouldn't say no outright based on age alone, but as with all things, it's about counting the cost. It's interesting that Luka and Bojan both being Croatian may make for a great learning and assimilation environment for our young forward, too, while filling a needed position.

We have some interesting Summer League signings like F Thomas Robinson, G Kenny Williams, and French C Darel Poirier. It'll be interesting to see how we choose to fill out the Austin roster and who makes it up to the big club (I think Drew and of course Lonnie are the likeliest candidates).

So much off season work to be done even though most of the roster is filled out.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#8 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:30 am

Always liked Thomas Robinson's game as a traditonal PF despite not really sticking around with any team... love his energy, athleticism, toughness around the paint. If he has a solid jumper now, or even 3P shot, would love to see him stick somewhere.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
h4rrison
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,102

Thoughts on Bradley Beal 

Post#9 » by h4rrison » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:36 pm

Know Beal isn't on the trade block but seems inevitable that Wizards may explore trading him and seeing what they can get in return. Not sure if the assets are available to make the trade but what are your thoughts on trading for Beal if he's available?

Murray, Walker, FRP's, filler for Beal?

Basically a win-now mode with Demar, Lamarcus, and Beal for the Spurs, while Wizards do this for young assets and multiple unprotected picks for their rebuild.

Is there a better package for the Wizards? Most of the suitors for Beal don't have the assets/picks to make the trade.

Thoughts?
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Re: Thoughts on Bradley Beal 

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 am

h4rrison wrote:Know Beal isn't on the trade block but seems inevitable that Wizards may explore trading him and seeing what they can get in return. Not sure if the assets are available to make the trade but what are your thoughts on trading for Beal if he's available?

Murray, Walker, FRP's, filler for Beal?

Basically a win-now mode with Demar, Lamarcus, and Beal for the Spurs, while Wizards do this for young assets and multiple unprotected picks for their rebuild.

Is there a better package for the Wizards? Most of the suitors for Beal don't have the assets/picks to make the trade.

Thoughts?

Not being a homer because I know how good Beal is and would love to have him but this franchise is wayy too much in love with Murray at this point. They would never trade him right now.

I think they would be more likely to trade DeRozan than Murray but I doubt that will ever happen. I think they are pretty happy with the roster
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#11 » by Black Mage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:34 am

Hey Spurs fans. Over on Sixers board we're all trying to figure out how to build out a shooter/PG depth. I noticed the Spurs are STACKED at the guard position to the point that it looks like Bryn Forbes might be available. So can you guys give some feedback on how Forbes is used, does he play as primary ballhandler/backup PG? Can he play that roll? How's his outside shot? What would you think the Spurs would want for him? Sixers could send over Jonah Bolden and 2nd rounder or two to make it work.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:13 am

Black Mage wrote:Hey Spurs fans. Over on Sixers board we're all trying to figure out how to build out a shooter/PG depth. I noticed the Spurs are STACKED at the guard position to the point that it looks like Bryn Forbes might be available. So can you guys give some feedback on how Forbes is used, does he play as primary ballhandler/backup PG? Can he play that roll? How's his outside shot? What would you think the Spurs would want for him? Sixers could send over Jonah Bolden and 2nd rounder or two to make it work.

Hey, well Bryn grew a lot over last summer in terms of putting on muscle and conditioning, and he needed it as he became the defacto starting PG after Dejounte and Derrick were out. So it was trial by fire and he stepped up. Of course DeMar helped in facilitating and ball handling, but the point is that Bryn's guard game expanded. He can execute the P&R, and start the sets and move off ball, though he is not a pure facilitating PG. He will be coming from the bench next season most likely, and probably more at 2 than 1, but it's good that we know he can play some 1 if we need him to in a pinch, and still use him as a great out of timeout 3 guy.

He grew from a spot up 3 shooter - which was his initial calling card, and he's excellent from the arc at 42.6% last season - to one who looked for his shot be it off screen Js or drives. He is not afraid of contact, and has also developed a nice floater. Great at the FT line last season 88.5%. Very team oriented guy, streaky shooter, does well within a system. At 6'3" he's not going to wow you with highlight dunks. On D he has improved, better footwork, hands up, very good effort around screens, but if he gets switched on by a bigger guy, well...

Came from Izzo's system to Pop's - he has gotten where he is on his effort and remaining coachable. Started 12 games two seasons ago (19 min per game), then started 81 games last season (28 minutes per game) so conditioning no longer an issue. They told him to get bigger and fitter, and that's exactly what he did. It's also a function of situation and opportunity, but he did improve from 6.9PPG to 11.8 PPG on better efficiency from 2s and 3s. Really made the most of his opportunity last season.

No idea what we'd want for him - I am terrible at trades, sorry haha! But I do know he's on a sweet deal and has played himself to a nice bigger next contract. Important bench contribution guy for us, but we do have a glut of guards. If Morris decides to not honour his word with us, we need someone to fill a grit defender 3/4 with a 3 shot role. Hope that helps.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
ThreeMileAllan
Veteran
And1: 770

How do Spurs fans feel about cp3? 

Post#13 » by ThreeMileAllan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm

As an outsider, I am just trying to get a gauge for how the fanbase feels about cp3.

There arent a lot of contracts that would matchup.... but maybe the Spurs can find a way to make it work. We have seen a lot of teams make magic happen when it didnt seem possible.

But if we can roll out cp3, Marco, DeMar, Gay, Aldridge with Lyles, Carroll, Murray, White off the bench.... I think that team could do damage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
On the Crawford/Rose bandwagon in 2002... 2009, 2011, 2012, 2017... :laugh: Finally in 2018! 16 year wait!
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: How do Spurs fans feel about cp3? 

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:08 pm

ThreeMileAllan wrote:As an outsider, I am just trying to get a gauge for how the fanbase feels about cp3.

There arent a lot of contracts that would matchup.... but maybe the Spurs can find a way to make it work. We have seen a lot of teams make magic happen when it didnt seem possible.

But if we can roll out cp3, Marco, DeMar, Gay, Aldridge with Lyles, Carroll, Murray, White off the bench.... I think that team could do damage

To whatever extent there may have been interest in the past, I believe that ship has sailed. Salary-wise at least one of LMA or DeMar would have to go the other way, and we're not stunting Dejounte or Derrick's development for taking on Paul's bloated contract and a player on the decline.

At least Dejounte if not also Derrick will be starting next year. Dejounte was handed the reigns when Tony was still here, so he is the designated PG of the future. Marco is in no way a starter.

So there is really no fit in terms of contract - we've been carefully constructing deals that end in the next one or two years - or our youth development.

We do have a lot of guards, so there's still something there that may be addressed, but it'll likely be for a 3/4 fit to address team needs and better balance the roster.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Re: How do Spurs fans feel about cp3? 

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 pm

ThreeMileAllan wrote:As an outsider, I am just trying to get a gauge for how the fanbase feels about cp3.

If Paul was on an expiring it might be slightly interesting but that contract is ridiculous. Like Grey said, we have a bunch of guards and the last thing the Spurs are going to do is stunt the growth of Murray. Plus we just went through the Morris thing and many people think Morris is a dick and didn't want him here. But we all know for a fact Chris Paul is a dick so no one would want him here.

On top of that, Aldridge or DeRozan would have to be involved and I'm sorry but Paul isn't half the player of either of them. If they want draft picks why would they want ours? We are an annual playoff team. The Spurs want to win now so they wouldn't take on Paul to get one of OKCs picks either.
I just don't see any benefit at all for us man.

Return to San Antonio Spurs