ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Re: So how are you feeling now? 

Post#161 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:06 am

Arsenal wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
The 2010 lakers had 2 guys over 14 points per 36 in the playoffs (well 3 if you count Sasha Vucicic who only played 10 games). The 2011 Mavs had 3.

I don’t think your theory that you need 7 scorers really holds up. There are a lot of top heavy champions, in fact I would say that’s the norm.

That and a prime Kobe Bryant and a prime Dirk Nowitzki. I remember that both of them were absolutely outstanding those years. Both were the best of the best on the floor during their championship run. We'll definitely need that from either Simmons or Embiid as I think having the best player on the floor matters quite a bit unless it's 2004 Pistons. Point taken though, we have the role players, i'm a little concerned about the bench but that's to be determined.

Joel Embiid is that guy. Right now he is a top 5-10 player.

When he graduates to MVP form, we're winning chips. Could very easily be next year.

I believe it. His year to truly dominate the league is coming. None of us know how long he's going to last, but the moment he can dodge the injury flu will be the moment he takes the league over. Hopefully Simmons is right there with him.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#162 » by Arsenal » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:11 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
That and a prime Kobe Bryant and a prime Dirk Nowitzki. I remember that both of them were absolutely outstanding those years. Both were the best of the best on the floor during their championship run. We'll definitely need that from either Simmons or Embiid as I think having the best player on the floor matters quite a bit unless it's 2004 Pistons. Point taken though, we have the role players, i'm a little concerned about the bench but that's to be determined.

Joel Embiid is that guy. Right now he is a top 5-10 player.

When he graduates to MVP form, we're winning chips. Could very easily be next year.

I believe it. His year to truly dominate the league is coming. None of us know how long he's going to last, but the moment he can dodge the injury flu will be the moment he takes the league over. Hopefully Simmons is right there with him.

Yep. I think a big problem was our depth was so weak last year that we had to overplay him. He played 33.7 mpg last year after only 30.3 mpg the previous season.

We need to get him down to 32 mpg or less this year, which should be possible with Horford here. Take 10-15 games off also for load management, and then hopefully healthy for the playoffs for the first time.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#163 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:24 am

It's really hard for a non ball handler to be the man.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#164 » by Arsenal » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:35 am

Kobblehead wrote:It's really hard for a non ball handler to be the man.

That's true, but Joel Embiid is an anomaly. All you have to do is look at our +/- splits in the TOR series (or anytime really).
GreenTeamah
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#165 » by GreenTeamah » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:51 am

hookshot199 wrote:
GreenTeamah wrote:As of right now y’all are the clearcut favorites, but this time last year Celtics were the clearcut favorites, by the trade deadline we’ll have a clear understanding because Milwaukee, Indiana or Boston could make a move that puts them right there with you

I don't think we're clearcut favorites. I think the Sixers and Milwaukee are basically equal. For us, much will depend
on whether Embiid and Horford stay healthy and whether Simmons is willing to take a shot. We still need a shooter
off the bench and a backup point guard who can shoot (TJ with a 3-point shot). Our roster isn't complete. I'm not too
worried about it - yet - but am antsy about picking up a veteran shooter, a guy like Korver.

For Milwaukee, if Giannis improves his mid-range and long-range shooting, they'll be formidable. They've got in my
opinion, the best backup point in the league in George Hill.

For Indiana and Brooklyn, it depends on when Oladipo and KD return and if they return at top form. For Toronto,
it depends on whether Kyle Lowry has another year.

The issue for the Celtics - and I live down the road in Providence - is lack of a starting center and, more generally,
lack of depth in the front court. Kemba will give you more stability at point, but let's be honest, Kyrie, without all
the psycho-drama, is a better player. Nevertheless, I'd go for stability after last year.

In addition to your front-court deficiency - you really needed to be the third team in a Butler-to-Houston trade to
get Capela - you've got Hayward. I realize C's fans think he'll have a better season - and you're probably right - but
he's not a good defensive player even if he continues his recovery. He's not quick and athletic. The Sixers are long
and athletic. He'll have trouble against us unless we leave him wide open. But unlike last year, we've now got
Horford playing the top of our zone and running people into Embiid.

And then Tatum, who will be a big-time shooter. He's not a creator. He reminds me a bit of Tobias Harris.

I still believe you have a better coach. He'll get the most out of your roster. Jaylen will be playing for a contract.
That's all good. But basically, I think your biggest team structural problem is at the 5. Losing Baynes hurt. And
Horford, assuming he stays healthy, was always one of the glue guys on your roster. You still have Marcus Smart.

Again, our roster isn't complete. And just like the Celtics, we're capped out, thus have to depend on signing vets'
minimums to complete it.

Re the Celtics not meeting expectations last year, you had too many of the same players - short 4s and athletic
2s and 3s. It was predictable that Jaylen Brown would be unhappy with his minutes cut as you tried to re-integrate
Hayward.

Just my opinion.

All fair points I thought Milwaukee took a step back with the offseason they had but I didn’t know they had signed Robin Lopez, I don’t know how that one slid by me I mentioned they should do that on a YouTube video I think they addressed a need they had nothing behind Brook but at the same time Bledsoe is still their starter who has been exposed every year in the playoffs and they lost Brogdon, to me at some point they need to start George Hill and Bledsoe needs to shut his mouth about it
mhunt
Rookie
And1: 172

Post#166 » by mhunt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:13 pm

taking a step back, the piece this team is missing is that solid 6th man who could start when embiid or horford sit out. with no mle, it wasn't really possible to get that guy this offseason. so we're stuck with basically the same bench as last year (ennis/scott) while praying that o'quinn is an upgrade over boban/monroe & that one of the young guys breaks out.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#167 » by Black Mage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:15 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:I’m asking this honestly, not sarcastically, but can someone please explain how to our bench/depth got better?

I keep seeing this narrative on every Sixers forum and I feel like I’m on an island here because I just don’t see it. If anything I feel like we actually lost a little depth we had.

I’m not seeing how the likes of a raw rookie, Shake Milton, Kyle O’Quinn, Raul Neto are some big upgrade.

Boban, TJ, Amir, Furkan, Simmons, Monroe certainly weren’t very good. But they were bodies at the very least. And I’m not seeing how we’re deeper this year.

Seriously???

During the regular season Amir/Furkan were unplayable and blew so many leads that we had to put starters back int to salvage a game.

TJ was playable... sometimes... but certainly not with a second unit that lacked any of the main starters.

In the playoffs, Bobi, TJ, Amir, Furkan, Simmons and Monroe (except for a brief stretch) were ALL UNPLAYABLE. They were unplayable because they either lacked athleticism, height, length. Worse, they couldn't or wouldn't shoot from deep)

Our bench couldn't possibly be worse. At the very least we know Zhaire and Thybulle have the above elements covered and are willing to and have looked okay shooting from deep. With them it's just a matter of gaining experience and confirming their 3 pt shot translates to in game action.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#168 » by Black Mage » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:24 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:When your starting five all pretty much average 15 ppg or above, then they are going to do the bulk of the scoring. The key is having a bench that can collectively get you 25 or above points...and in Scott, Ennis and O'quinn we have three vets in three different positions who have proven they can get 8 ppg throught a season. Add in the others and i'm hopeful our bench will be just fine.

What's your prediction for ppg for the starting 5?

For me, conservatively, I see it as:

Embiid 23-25 ppg
Simmons 17-20 ppg
Harris 20-22 ppg
RIchardson 16-19 ppg
Horford 10-13 ppg

Added together that's: 86-99 ppg
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#169 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 am

Black Mage wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:When your starting five all pretty much average 15 ppg or above, then they are going to do the bulk of the scoring. The key is having a bench that can collectively get you 25 or above points...and in Scott, Ennis and O'quinn we have three vets in three different positions who have proven they can get 8 ppg throught a season. Add in the others and i'm hopeful our bench will be just fine.

Embiid 23-25 ppg
Simmons 17-20 ppg
Harris 20-22 ppg
RIchardson 16-19 ppg
Horford 10-13 ppg

I actually think Horford can average 15 plus on this team tbh..he'll be on the floor In two different roles at times so I think he'll get his fair share of buckets.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#170 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 am

Black Mage wrote:

Embiid 23-25 ppg
Simmons 17-20 ppg
Harris 20-22 ppg
RIchardson 16-19 ppg
Horford 10-13 ppg

Looks alright. Might be a tad high on Richardson. He averaged 16 last year but that was also on 20% usage and I'm not sure he gets that here. On the other hand, it's reasonable to expect an uptick in his efficiency since he won't be the focus of the defense.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#171 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 am

Some things I'm looking forward to:
--Embiid getting to dump passes to Horford out of doubleteams, and Horford drilling 12 footers or making a sweet pass to a shooter or cutter when the defense rotates
--Our revived dribble hand-off sets (which normally drive me crazy), since Richardson and Harris can actually dribble and shoot off the dribble
--Simmons and Zhaire as cutters within a more fluid offense
--Our combo of length, athleticism, and quick hands on defense, esp when the rotations are crisp
--Harris getting to run pn'r with Horford all day; scoring, dumping to Horford, or making quick reads to shooters in the corners

Things I'm not looking forward to:
--Crunch time against good defenses on days when Embiid isn't in good rhythm
--Stretches when Harris, Richardson, Ennis, Scott, and Horford miss long 2s in consecutive possessions and I start worrying about our spacing (and all the guys on the general board who will be gloating about it)
--Struggling against mediocre teams with quick backcourts and worrying that all this talk about being a legit contender was foolish/presumptuous
--Simmons and Embiid still doing the easy effective things against meh teams, not pushing themselves to constantly practice what'll work against legit teams
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#172 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:07 am

Arsenal wrote:Joel Embiid is an anomaly. All you have to do is look at our +/- splits in the TOR series (or anytime really).

takes me back to Moses, if only we simplify things and use him for what he's built for. our only problem with Malone was he had spent his best years elsewhere before we got him. that first year we had him though...
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#173 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:49 am

Play-offs is a game of match-ups.

Last 2 seasons, we won whenever Biid got the edge on match-ups. We lose whenever we faced teams that loads up on Biid and attacks our weak links on defense.

This team is built to counter teams that tries to load up on Biid. With Horford, this opens the stage for Ben and Tobias to perform. Horford also allows us to not have drop-offs whenever Biid is off the floor, which has been our achilles heel for the last 2 seasons.

Our GM knows basketball.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#174 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 am

rzzzzz wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Joel Embiid is an anomaly. All you have to do is look at our +/- splits in the TOR series (or anytime really).

takes me back to Moses, if only we simplify things and use him for what he's built for. our only problem with Malone was he had spent his best years elsewhere before we got him. that first year we had him though...

Let me tell you one thing.

The ISO ball at the perimeter is about to die and the league will trend toward bullyball.

Now teams are adapting to the screen plays and are more advanced in switching. A good example is how our defense was in 2017-2018 and in 2018-2019. We were switching a lot more last season. Our guys will be improved in switching this upcoming season. You sort of see this kind of development with the Warriors where their switching schemes are far advanced.

Once you see the 30 teams switching at an advanced level. It will come down to the post play. We almost beat the Raps when we countered them with putting Tobias on Marc. When their biggest edge is the Sf-Pf dynamic where they attack the weaklink PF with Siakam.

This offseason, you see teams like the Knicks loading up on PFs, Sixers and Lakers running big frontcourts units and big line-ups to counter switching.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#175 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:22 am

I actually think we’re going to need Richardson in the 20+ ppg area, especially come playoff time, if we’re going to be a legit contender. We’re going to lean on him quite a bit at the end of the shot clock.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#176 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 am

Negrodamus wrote:I actually think we’re going to need Richardson in the 20+ ppg area, especially come playoff time, if we’re going to be a legit contender. We’re going to lean on him quite a bit at the end of the shot clock.

Let Tobias be what he is born to do.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#177 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 am

Black Mage wrote:

Embiid 23-25 ppg
Simmons 17-20 ppg
Harris 20-22 ppg
RIchardson 16-19 ppg
Horford 10-13 ppg

It'll be a big disappointment if Embiid only averages 23-25 ppg, he should be 26-30 ppg easily. Generally that doesn't drop down after you've had such a dominant season. Even with the added talent I'd say he will be 26-27 at minimum.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#178 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 am

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I actually think we’re going to need Richardson in the 20+ ppg area, especially come playoff time, if we’re going to be a legit contender. We’re going to lean on him quite a bit at the end of the shot clock.

Disappear in the playoffs?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#179 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 am

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Disappear in the playoffs?

Carried us in the Nets series. Dont forget
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#180 » by Aussiepiston1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Embiid 23-25 ppg
Simmons 17-20 ppg
Harris 20-22 ppg
RIchardson 16-19 ppg
Horford 10-13 ppg

It'll be a big disappointment if Embiid only averages 23-25 ppg, he should be 26-30 ppg easily. Generally that doesn't drop down after you've had such a dominant season. Even with the added talent I'd say he will be 26-27 at minimum.

Agreed I think He averages 27.5ppg
Simmons 17.5ppg
Harris 25ppg and becomes an all star
Richardson 17.5ppg
Horford 12.5ppg
=100ppg

Return to Philadelphia 76ers