Welcome Shai Gilegous-Alexander

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Welcome Shai Gilegous-Alexander 

Post#1 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:18 pm

I know a lot of people are torn about the trade. However this guy could be a really good player for us for years to come. I'm glad he's here.

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,052

Re: Welcome Shai Gilegous-Alexander 

Post#2 » by slick_watts » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:30 pm

welcome, gilgamesh
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#3 » by Pillendreher » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:29 pm

I don't trust people with hyphenated last names.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#4 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:46 pm

He'll be better than George this year.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,382

Post#5 » by WestbrookGOATed » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:08 pm

I'm really excited about him, just anxious to see what happpens next, since we have 3 starting point guards.
mr570
Senior
And1: 293

Post#6 » by mr570 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:41 pm

Dude is our future. Welcome!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#7 » by City of Trees » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:31 pm

Big fan of SGA.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#8 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:17 am

Hopefully he's around long enough and progresses well enough to be a cornerstone piece of what is hopefully a successful rebuild 5-7 years from now.

From his perspective, I'm sure it kinda sucks to know you had to be one of the trade pieces in order to complete a mega-blockbuster deal that may result in you watching your former team win 58+ games the next several years and possibly a championship and/or deep playoff runs while your current team struggles to win 30-35 games.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:59 am

NaturalThunder wrote:Hopefully he's around long enough and progresses well enough to be a cornerstone piece of what is hopefully a successful rebuild 5-7 years from now.

From his perspective, I'm sure it kinda sucks to know you had to be one of the trade pieces in order to complete a mega-blockbuster deal that may result in you watching your former team win 58+ games the next several years and possibly a championship and/or deep playoff runs while your current team struggles to win 30-35 games.

Oladipo probably felt the same way and decided to become and all star.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:14 am

In three years the top 2 PGs in the West will be SGA and Fox. For clarification, Luka isn't a PG!

SGA's TS% as a rookie matched Russ' career high! SGA's eFG% as a rookie was higher than anything Russ has done.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,079

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:35 pm

Guy is really good. I'm excited he's with OKC. There were some rumors about him not wanting to play for a small market, hopefully he's good with being in OKC. And having Diallo on the team does give him some familiarity.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:03 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Guy is really good. I'm excited he's with OKC. There were some rumors about him not wanting to play for a small market, hopefully he's good with being in OKC. And having Diallo on the team does give him some familiarity.

Are these recent rumors or from when he was drafted?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,079

Post#13 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:03 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Guy is really good. I'm excited he's with OKC. There were some rumors about him not wanting to play for a small market, hopefully he's good with being in OKC. And having Diallo on the team does give him some familiarity.

To be clear they are just random posters throwing things out there. I have no idea if they were ever actually sourced rumors, but are likely from the draft if so.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#14 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:27 am

ThunderBolt wrote:

It's probably true. But who cares what he said over a year ago at some predraft workout b.s.? Once he's here we'll try to win him over with our mismash of Southern/American Southwest/Midwestern charm.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,052

Post#15 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:44 pm

the thunder will just throw him a party and nas will show up and they'll play safe hip-hop music from the 70's like sugarhill gang.
oreojenkins
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#16 » by oreojenkins » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am

slick_watts wrote:the thunder will just throw him a party and nas will show up and they'll play safe hip-hop music from the 70's like sugarhill gang.

Fun fact IIRC, Sugarhill Gang was the halftime show for Game 1 of the Finals against the Heat.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#17 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 am

slick_watts wrote:the thunder will just throw him a party and nas will show up and they'll play safe hip-hop music from the 70's like sugarhill gang.
If a player doesn't like DJ Jazzy Jeff then he isn't a thunder guy anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#18 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Some Intel for you guys. He had no issue or preference with market size. He bonded with Jerry West and Clippers execs so much that he refused to work out for or interview with other teams so he could fall to the Clippers. The Hornets caught wind of it to draft him and leverage it to get some second rounders out of the Clippers. It's heartbreaking because I thought he was destined to be a Clipper for his career. I would of even given up Harrell instead (whom I love). Or Shamet and another pick.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:54 am

The Thunder May Already Have Their Next Face of the Franchise

Oklahoma City scored an unprecedented haul of draft picks this summer, but Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the lone young player it acquired, could easily become the cornerstone for its next title push. Here’s why.

The Westbrook era is officially over, and SGA has the skills to become the new face of the franchise in Oklahoma City.

There are two reasons Gilgeous-Alexander is such an intriguing prospect:

1. Positional size. At 6-foot-6 and 181 pounds with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, SGA is a point guard with the length of a small forward. He towers over most players at his position, which allows him to shoot over them on offense and cover them up on defense. He was the rare rookie who was not a liability on that end of the floor. His defensive versatility also allowed the Clippers to start him on the wing next to two smaller guards in Patrick Beverley and Landry Shamet. Gilgeous-Alexander, who turned 21 in July, is still fairly lanky. His size will only become more valuable as he matures physically and adds muscle, which will allow him to bully smaller opponents.

2. Basketball IQ. SGA is wise beyond his years on the court. He rarely gets sped up or rattled by the defense, and he’s an excellent passer who always has a plan for what to do with the ball. He knows how to take advantage of a mismatch: He can get to his preferred spots on the floor and force the defense to send help. Clippers head coach Doc Rivers, a former NBA point guard, is known for being tough on young point guards. But Doc didn’t have any issues allowing Gilgeous-Alexander to run the offense as a rookie, moving him into the starting lineup a few weeks into the season and increasing his role during the next six months. The most telling number from his rookie season was his limited number of turnovers (1.7 per game). He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes.

SGA, unlike Luka Doncic and Trae Young, wasn’t given an unlimited green light on a bad team. His usage rate (18.2) paled in comparison to that of both Luka (29.6) and Trae (27.7). He excelled in a smaller role on a veteran team that won 48 games and pushed the Warriors to six games in the first round. His relatively pedestrian stats (10.8 points on 47.6 percent shooting, 3.3 assists, 2.8 rebounds, and 1.2 steals per game) are more impressive once you put them in that context.

Spoiler:
Gilgeous-Alexander was the rare rookie who didn’t tire over the course of the season. He went from averaging 8.4 points on 48.8 percent shooting and 3.6 assists per game in October to 14.2 points on 52.3 percent shooting and 4.5 assists per game in March. SGA was even better in the playoffs, with two brilliant performances against the Warriors: 25 points on 9-for-15 shooting in Game 4 and 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting and six assists in Game 6. He was also the primary defender on Klay Thompson, an assignment few young players would ever get.

Shot creation and getting to the rim are the strengths of his offensive game. Gilgeous-Alexander isn’t an elite athlete, but he knows how to change speeds and keep the defense off balance, and his size means he needs only a crack of daylight to get his shot off.

There is no ceiling to how good SGA can be. The national perception hasn’t quite caught up with his talent.
The Ringer
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Spoiler:
Jamaaliver wrote:
The Thunder May Already Have Their Next Face of the Franchise

Oklahoma City scored an unprecedented haul of draft picks this summer, but Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, the lone young player it acquired, could easily become the cornerstone for its next title push. Here’s why.

The Westbrook era is officially over, and SGA has the skills to become the new face of the franchise in Oklahoma City.

There are two reasons Gilgeous-Alexander is such an intriguing prospect:

1. Positional size. At 6-foot-6 and 181 pounds with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, SGA is a point guard with the length of a small forward. He towers over most players at his position, which allows him to shoot over them on offense and cover them up on defense. He was the rare rookie who was not a liability on that end of the floor. His defensive versatility also allowed the Clippers to start him on the wing next to two smaller guards in Patrick Beverley and Landry Shamet. Gilgeous-Alexander, who turned 21 in July, is still fairly lanky. His size will only become more valuable as he matures physically and adds muscle, which will allow him to bully smaller opponents.

2. Basketball IQ. SGA is wise beyond his years on the court. He rarely gets sped up or rattled by the defense, and he’s an excellent passer who always has a plan for what to do with the ball. He knows how to take advantage of a mismatch: He can get to his preferred spots on the floor and force the defense to send help. Clippers head coach Doc Rivers, a former NBA point guard, is known for being tough on young point guards. But Doc didn’t have any issues allowing Gilgeous-Alexander to run the offense as a rookie, moving him into the starting lineup a few weeks into the season and increasing his role during the next six months. The most telling number from his rookie season was his limited number of turnovers (1.7 per game). He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes.

SGA, unlike Luka Doncic and Trae Young, wasn’t given an unlimited green light on a bad team. His usage rate (18.2) paled in comparison to that of both Luka (29.6) and Trae (27.7). He excelled in a smaller role on a veteran team that won 48 games and pushed the Warriors to six games in the first round. His relatively pedestrian stats (10.8 points on 47.6 percent shooting, 3.3 assists, 2.8 rebounds, and 1.2 steals per game) are more impressive once you put them in that context.

[spoiler]Gilgeous-Alexander was the rare rookie who didn’t tire over the course of the season. He went from averaging 8.4 points on 48.8 percent shooting and 3.6 assists per game in October to 14.2 points on 52.3 percent shooting and 4.5 assists per game in March. SGA was even better in the playoffs, with two brilliant performances against the Warriors: 25 points on 9-for-15 shooting in Game 4 and 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting and six assists in Game 6. He was also the primary defender on Klay Thompson, an assignment few young players would ever get.

Shot creation and getting to the rim are the strengths of his offensive game. Gilgeous-Alexander isn’t an elite athlete, but he knows how to change speeds and keep the defense off balance, and his size means he needs only a crack of daylight to get his shot off.
There is no ceiling to how good SGA can be. The national perception hasn’t quite caught up with his talent.
The Ringer

This kid is young and I'm trying to temper my expectations. It's hard because if I were to design my ideal pg, he checks almost every box.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder