Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,845

Re: Oumar Ballo 

Post#21 » by Nuntius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 am

Ok, what's up with Gonzaga and international bigs? Why do they have so many of them? Do they specifically target them?
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Pekovic_MIP21
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#22 » by Pekovic_MIP21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Nuntius wrote:Ok, what's up with Gonzaga and international bigs? Why do they have so many of them? Do they specifically target them?

Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd is one of, if not the best international recruiter in college hoops so the Zags have developed relationships internationally which have helped them in recruiting and were one of the first colleges to recruit heavily out of the country because they couldn’t get the same level of American talent at that time. In addition to that with the success of other foreign big men such as Sabonis, Turiaf, Olynyk, Karnowski, Elias Harris, Hachimura, Tillie, etc many young foreign big men see Gonzaga as a great place to further their development due to their successful track record with international recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#23 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Fischella wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is 17, Gonzaga has already 5 bigs, Tillie, Watson at PF, Timme at PF/C, Zakharov and Petrusev at Center, all of them are readier than Ballo

Gonzaga redshirted Rui, they have done this, he is likely not playing at all next season

I am a diehard Gonzaga fan, travel all over the country watching them since 1998. You’ve got the lineup a little wrong. Tillie is the starting power forward, Petrusev will be the starting center. Timme will back up Tillie and Ballo will back up Petrusev. Watson will be backing up Kispert at the small forward spot. Ballo is going to get playing time this year not only because he’s extremely gifted but also because Tillie and Petrusev are notorious for picking up silly fouls. Ballo does not foul at all, I think he only had 10 in the entire tournament. Look for Zakharov to get maybe 5-7 mpg like Rui did(Rui didn’t redshirt), But Ballo will get plenty of minutes, as many as 15 per game. He is just too good not to play.

I'd bet you whatever you want that Zakharov plays over Ballo

OK, that’s a deal. How about a username bet? If after the first month Ballo plays more minutes per game then Pavel you have to change your username to whatever I choose and if the other happens I will change my username to whatever you want? Deal? Now this is provided that neither one red shirts for his injured obviously. We have a bet?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Nuntius wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
I missed him previously but my goodness - 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan. Seems like a good athlete for that size too -

Wow, he looks very good, altho the level of competition is noticeably not great.

Man among boys in the youth leagues. We'll see how he performs in the men's team but playing in Barca is a good sign.

Impressive. What's his first year of draft eligibility?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#25 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Nuntius wrote:Ok, what's up with Gonzaga and international bigs? Why do they have so many of them? Do they specifically target them?

Yes, the assistant head coach, Tommy Loyd is literally world famous among international basketball for recruiting kids to Gonzaga. It started with Ronnie Turriaf and has taken off from there.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#26 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Fischella wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is 17, Gonzaga has already 5 bigs, Tillie, Watson at PF, Timme at PF/C, Zakharov and Petrusev at Center, all of them are readier than Ballo

Gonzaga redshirted Rui, they have done this, he is likely not playing at all next season

I am a diehard Gonzaga fan, travel all over the country watching them since 1998. You’ve got the lineup a little wrong. Tillie is the starting power forward, Petrusev will be the starting center. Timme will back up Tillie and Ballo will back up Petrusev. Watson will be backing up Kispert at the small forward spot. Ballo is going to get playing time this year not only because he’s extremely gifted but also because Tillie and Petrusev are notorious for picking up silly fouls. Ballo does not foul at all, I think he only had 10 in the entire tournament. Look for Zakharov to get maybe 5-7 mpg like Rui did(Rui didn’t redshirt), But Ballo will get plenty of minutes, as many as 15 per game. He is just too good not to play.

I'd bet you whatever you want that Zakharov plays over Ballo

You do realize that Ballo was first team all tournament playing against kids two and three years older than him, correct? And Pavel did not even make his team.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#27 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:Ibou Diankou Badji from Senegal is more intruging

Why wasn’t he on the Senegal U19 team in the tournament last week?
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#28 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Never mind, he was. He averaged seven points and five rebounds. Some people are saying that he’s better than Ballo?

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u19/2019/player/Ibou-Dianko-Badji
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Nuntius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Pekovic_MIP21 wrote:

Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd is one of, if not the best international recruiter in college hoops so the Zags have developed relationships internationally which have helped them in recruiting and were one of the first colleges to recruit heavily out of the country because they couldn’t get the same level of American talent at that time. In addition to that with the success of other foreign big men such as Sabonis, Turiaf, Olynyk, Karnowski, Elias Harris, Hachimura, Tillie, etc many young foreign big men see Gonzaga as a great place to further their development due to their successful track record with international recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see. Thanks for the info. I didn't know about Tommy Lloyd as I'm not too much into college hoops. Gonzaga does have the reputation of a school that produces NBA-level bigs so I can see why bigs would want to play for them.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Nuntius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Wow, he looks very good, altho the level of competition is noticeably not great.

Man among boys in the youth leagues. We'll see how he performs in the men's team but playing in Barca is a good sign.

No idea how that works, honestly.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#31 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

You are Greek? My father is from Greece
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#32 » by peZt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:59 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Never mind, he was. He averaged seven points and five rebounds. Some people are saying that he’s better than Ballo?

Ballo can be better now but that doesn't mean that Badji won't be better than him in the future. Potential has little to do with actual output at such a young age. Otherwise guys like Kanter, Harrison Barnes, Valanciunas etc. would be the best players in the world.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#33 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:04 pm

gundysmullet wrote:Never mind, he was. He averaged seven points and five rebounds. Some people are saying that he’s better than Ballo?

A better prospect, a higher ceiling.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Nuntius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:20 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Impressive. What's his first year of draft eligibility?

Yeah, I am :D
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#35 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:27 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:

A better prospect, a higher ceiling.[/quote
Based on what, because it is certainly not on their on court performance. Ballo is 16 and was just named to the first team all tournament team playing against guys two or three years older than he is and this other kid that you guys are drooling over wasn’t even the fourth high-scoring player on his own team for Senegal.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#36 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:27 pm

peZt wrote:

Ballo can be better now but that doesn't mean that Badji won't be better than him in the future. Potential has little to do with actual output at such a young age. Otherwise guys like Kanter, Harrison Barnes, Valanciunas etc. would be the best players in the world.

And LeBron James
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#37 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Nuntius wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Where in Greece do you live? He and his wife life half the year in Evia and half the year in the states
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Nuntius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:21 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:You are Greek? My father is from Greece

Where in Greece do you live? He and his wife life half the year in Evia and half the year in the states

Athens, the capital. Like half of the country's population :P

Euboea is a beautiful island. Great for camping trips too.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#39 » by gundysmullet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Nuntius wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Athens, the capital. Like half of the country's population :P

Euboea is a beautiful island. Great for camping trips too.

Yes it is. Most of my dads family splits their time between Athens and Karystos
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#40 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

A better prospect, a higher ceiling.[/quote
Based on what, because it is certainly not on their on court performance. Ballo is 16 and was just named to the first team all tournament team playing against guys two or three years older than he is and this other kid that you guys are drooling over wasn’t even the fourth high-scoring player on his own team for Senegal.

You're entitled to your opinion just like we are, why you so mad though, you must be Oumar Ballos girl or something :lol:

Return to NBA Draft