Melvin Gordon holding out

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Melvin Gordon holding out 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Sucks....running backs should realize this isn't a great idea by now...

Read on Twitter
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Re: Melvin Gordon holding out 

Post#2 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Considering how injury prone Melvin has been I don't see the Chargers taking the bait. This reeks of the LeVeon Bell situation.
CoachSant
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#3 » by CoachSant » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Sucks that all RB's value are declining.... I can't see him winning this. This is good for my Raiders though
ReaderCollector
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#4 » by ReaderCollector » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I don't blame him one bit ... however as running backs have a more significant risk of injury and shorter careers than any other player, I also wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers trade him, as it just doesn't make sense to pay running backs big money with the way the salary cap is.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:27 pm

ReaderCollector wrote:I don't blame him one bit ... however as running backs have a more significant risk of injury and shorter careers than any other player, I also wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers trade him, as it just doesn't make sense to pay running backs big money with the way the salary cap is.

They are also easier to replace, and seem to decline more quickly than other positions.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#6 » by Jay 20 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Austin Eckler and Justin Jackson isn't a bad duo. They may let him hold out then.

For Gordon, he will probably get paid. Bell eventually did even though he lost a years worth of salary.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:12 am

Read on Twitter
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#8 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:17 pm

Hmmm, guessing from Charger history, he will be given a tough battle and big fight from the Chargers. They wont pay sh&# until they are required to do so. So hes in a tough situation. Play get hurt, get kicked to the curb. Play well, get lowballed, dont like lowball offer, get franchise tagged. Have another good season, get franchise tagged again. Finally get freedom, your 30 years old and seen as over the hill. So...heres a guess...a theory...nah, its a tough decision hes gonna have to make.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
OKCman
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by OKCman » Sun Sep 8, 2019 8:23 pm

If Melvin Gordon wants to be traded I think he should go to the New Orleans Saints. There he could share the workload with Alvin Kamara, with him being option 1A and Kamara being 1B. I think the Saints have some assets that they could send to San Diego like Terron Armstead and a couple of draft picks in exchange for Melvin Gordon. As for as salary I think the Saints can afford to keep both Melvin Gordon and Alvin Kamara with Gordon commanding somewhere around $11 or $12 million and Alvin Kamara commanding somewhere around $8.5 to $10 million.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:54 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Hmmm, guessing from Charger history, he will be given a tough battle and big fight from the Chargers. They wont pay sh&# until they are required to do so. So hes in a tough situation. Play get hurt, get kicked to the curb. Play well, get lowballed, dont like lowball offer, get franchise tagged. Have another good season, get franchise tagged again. Finally get freedom, your 30 years old and seen as over the hill. So...heres a guess...a theory...nah, its a tough decision hes gonna have to make.

They are fine with Ekeler and Jackson, so he has no leverage. They will probably let him go and get a compensatory pick in the offseason.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 9:54 pm

OKCman wrote:If Melvin Gordon wants to be traded I think he should go to the New Orleans Saints. There he could share the workload with Alvin Kamara, with him being option 1A and Kamara being 1B. I think the Saints have some assets that they could send to San Diego like Terron Armstead and a couple of draft picks in exchange for Melvin Gordon. As for as salary I think the Saints can afford to keep both Melvin Gordon and Alvin Kamara with Gordon commanding somewhere around $11 or $12 million and Alvin Kamara commanding somewhere around $8.5 to $10 million.

That sounds like way too much money to commit to RBs.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:38 am

bwgood77 wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Hmmm, guessing from Charger history, he will be given a tough battle and big fight from the Chargers. They wont pay sh&# until they are required to do so. So hes in a tough situation. Play get hurt, get kicked to the curb. Play well, get lowballed, dont like lowball offer, get franchise tagged. Have another good season, get franchise tagged again. Finally get freedom, your 30 years old and seen as over the hill. So...heres a guess...a theory...nah, its a tough decision hes gonna have to make.

They are fine with Ekeler and Jackson, so he has no leverage. They will probably let him go and get a compensatory pick in the offseason.

49ers have a dire need for anything above the below average guys they seem to be showing off right now. Short trip, but at least they would be sending him to the NFC.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 1:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

49ers have a dire need for anything above the below average guys they seem to be showing off right now. Short trip, but at least they would be sending him to the NFC.

Would they be willing to give up a 2nd round pick AND pay him $12-$13 million a year? That's the problem. Finding someone to give up more than what they will get as a compensatory pick and someone who will give that up AND pay him what he wants.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#14 » by Jedzz » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:55 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Would they be willing to give up a 2nd round pick AND pay him $12-$13 million a year? That's the problem. Finding someone to give up more than what they will get as a compensatory pick and someone who will give that up AND pay him what he wants.

Well. If they draft a 2nd rounder or above trying to get someone that can really make a dent, they'll end up paying that guy first or second round money and then a real contract if he's worth keeping. So really, what's the difference? At least know he's not a bust. I suppose you can easily find them in later rounds if you know how to assess RBs. Doesn't seem like they've been too successful lately doing so. Biggest problem I see is the money they already sank into those they have, including the wasted money on McKinnon. Although I'm not sure how much of that they are on the hook for given he's never played a down.

I guess if you never want to pay a single RB 12-13/year then they won't. But what do you tell your fanbase if you can't run the clock out to hold your lead when you sat on $21,025,683 of cap space heading into the season?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 am

Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Well. If they draft a 2nd rounder or above trying to get someone that can really make a dent, they'll end up paying that guy first or second round money and then a real contract if he's worth keeping. So really, what's the difference? At least know he's not a bust. I suppose you can easily find them in later rounds if you know how to assess RBs. Doesn't seem like they've been too successful lately doing so. Biggest problem I see is the money they already sank into those they have, including the wasted money on McKinnon. Although I'm not sure how much of that they are on the hook for given he's never played a down.

I guess if you never want to pay a single RB 12-13/year then they won't. But what do you tell your fanbase if you can't run the clock out to hold your lead when you sat on $21,025,683 of cap space heading into the season?

I guess maybe for the Niners it makes sense. For some reason I think I was thinking of the Saints earlier, and it didn't make sense. The big question to me is how good Gordon really is. He never averaged over 4 yards a carry until last year, and he's missed games every year but 1. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GordMe00.htm

Even last year when his yards per attempt were pretty good, the other RBs did just about as well or better and were much better at yards after contact (YAC). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2018.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

Here you can see how Ekeler was better at YAC/attempt https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2018_advanced.htm#all_advanced_rushing
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:06 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I guess maybe for the Niners it makes sense. For some reason I think I was thinking of the Saints earlier, and it didn't make sense. The big question to me is how good Gordon really is. He never averaged over 4 yards a carry until last year, and he's missed games every year but 1. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GordMe00.htm

Even last year when his yards per attempt were pretty good, the other RBs did just about as well or better and were much better at yards after contact (YAC). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2018.htm#all_rushing_and_receiving

Here you can see how Ekeler was better at YAC/attempt https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2018_advanced.htm#all_advanced_rushing

Somewhere someone had posted 3 convincing stats proving where someone like Gordon makes his money for the team. I can't remember enough details to post it, so if I find it i'll come back to quote it here. For some reason I think one of them had to do with YAC but may have been qualified to speicifc downs or situations or something. Ekeler looked decent yesterday.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:25 am

Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Somewhere someone had posted 3 convincing stats proving where someone like Gordon makes his money for the team. I can't remember enough details to post it, so if I find it i'll come back to quote it here. For some reason I think one of them had to do with YAC but may have been qualified to speicifc downs or situations or something. Ekeler looked decent yesterday.

The arguments for him are that he has played mostly behind a bad OL until last year, and when it was better last year his ypc were up. AND he is a good passing catching back. I still personally wouldn't put him top 10, and honestly, the way Ekeler and Jackson hit the holes or even pound through when there isn't much of one is preferable to me. Gordon usually doesn't go anywhere unless he has clear running room. With a good OL he is solid. We will see how well the Chargers do for the rest of the year with Ekeler and Jackson. I won't be surprised that even when Gordon comes back (he has to for the latter half of the season to be eligible for FA) if they don't make him the automatic starter, particularly if those guys and the team have been playing well...in that case there will be no reason to mess with it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#18 » by Jedzz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:27 am

bwgood77 wrote:
The arguments for him are that he has played mostly behind a bad OL until last year, and when it was better last year his ypc were up. AND he is a good passing catching back. I still personally wouldn't put him top 10, and honestly, the way Ekeler and Jackson hit the holes or even pound through when there isn't much of one is preferable to me. Gordon usually doesn't go anywhere unless he has clear running room. With a good OL he is solid. We will see how well the Chargers do for the rest of the year with Ekeler and Jackson. I won't be surprised that even when Gordon comes back (he has to for the latter half of the season to be eligible for FA) if they don't make him the automatic starter, particularly if those guys and the team have been playing well...in that case there will be no reason to mess with it.

The Rams may have an embarrassment of riches at the position and the offense overall. But plenty of other teams don't right now. However I can also see them steering clear of a RB that will hold out into a season. At the very least they probably feel they can wait a year and get him for less asses. That is, those GMs and Coaches who aren't on the hot seat already this season.

Return to The General NFL Board