ImageImageImage

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 122

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,820

Re: Do you want Westbrook on our team? 

Post#81 » by AirP. » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:After years of Westbrook being in the top 10 in real plus-minus because of his athletic ability and effort level, last year he was 42nd while his teammate was #1, the decline has started while on that supermax contract, he relies too much on that athletic ability to stay near his prime while going deeper into his 30s.

Miami would be doing OKC a favor getting them out of that contract, hopefully, if Miami trades for him none of the young players are included, at the bare minimum they're needed for the rotation.

If we get Westbrook he wouldn't be playing 36 minutes a game like he is in OKC. That should help him some, even if he wouldn't like it.

Getting Westbrook could be a big plus depending on what Miami sends out, he dropped last year in real plus-minus which I'm sure is at least partly decline, the other factors may not be. The best way to look at the contract is he's a ~30 million player(each year) but has a bad contract attached to him(without taking up a roster slot but also not able to get rid of) and of course his last year he's an incredible expiring contract where a team who wants to move on from a player will have to toss in filler(maybe a good player as an asset) and draft asset(s).

If Westbrook is good with Butler as the closer and Butler is good with Westbrook being the main playmaker the first 3 quarters, it could work well if they don't figure that out it could be a disaster, an expensive disaster. Having 2 high effort players, especially in the playoffs, is very, very intriguing.

If it were me, I'd really consider expanding the trade with Houston, letting Westbrook go there and grabbing CP3(shorter contract) and someone like PJ Tucker or possibly Capella(with Bam at the 4).
Magic Boo
Bench Warmer
And1: 953

Post#82 » by Magic Boo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Hell no. I dont understand how anyone would want him on his team. This dude could not win with Durant but hes going to win with Butler because "heat system"? bull. Bringing him in means no more point winslow and less touches for Jimmy. This will cause chemistry issues real quik. His contract coupled with jimmys puts us in an island and i tell you it will take years to recover from it bc we will probably send assets to get rid of westbrooks contract in 1-2 years and also cant sign any players in free agency.

I hate how Riley is so quik to jump on any All Star player whos available no matter the circumstances.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#83 » by contract » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm

AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:After years of Westbrook being in the top 10 in real plus-minus because of his athletic ability and effort level, last year he was 42nd while his teammate was #1, the decline has started while on that supermax contract, he relies too much on that athletic ability to stay near his prime while going deeper into his 30s.

Miami would be doing OKC a favor getting them out of that contract, hopefully, if Miami trades for him none of the young players are included, at the bare minimum they're needed for the rotation.

If we get Westbrook he wouldn't be playing 36 minutes a game like he is in OKC. That should help him some, even if he wouldn't like it.

Getting Westbrook could be a big plus depending on what Miami sends out, he dropped last year in real plus-minus which I'm sure is at least partly decline, the other factors may not be. The best way to look at the contract is he's a ~30 million player(each year) but has a bad contract attached to him(without taking up a roster slot but also not able to get rid of) and of course his last year he's an incredible expiring contract where a team who wants to move on from a player will have to toss in filler(maybe a good player as an asset) and draft asset(s).

If Westbrook is good with Butler as the closer and Butler is good with Westbrook being the main playmaker the first 3 quarters, it could work well if they don't figure that out it could be a disaster, an expensive disaster. Having 2 high effort players, especially in the playoffs, is very, very intriguing.

If it were me, I'd really consider expanding the trade with Houston, letting Westbrook go there and grabbing CP3(shorter contract) and someone like PJ Tucker or possibly Capella(with Bam at the 4).

Oh I fully expect a train wreck. I was just referring to his individual performance. But yeah, two hyper-alphas with massive egos and their own ideas on how to do things can't possibly turn out well. Spo would age 20 years coaching these guys together for 2 years. But this is what Pat Riley wants to do so ...

All I ask is that Pat be held accountable when the stuff hits the fan and we're facing another 4 or 5 years just to dig out of this hole.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,820

Post#84 » by AirP. » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Magic Boo wrote:Hell no. I dont understand how anyone would want him on his team. This dude could not win with Durant but hes going to win with Butler because "heat system"? bull. Bringing him in means no more point winslow and less touches for Jimmy. This will cause chemistry issues real quik. His contract coupled with jimmys puts us in an island and i tell you it will take years to recover from it bc we will probably send assets to get rid of westbrooks contract in 1-2 years and also cant sign any players in free agency.

I hate how Riley is so quik to jump on any All Star player whos available no matter the circumstances.

From what I've heard, Spoelstra has had an idea of how he'd like to use Westbrook for years now. Although Westbrook is strong-willed, with the organization backing Spoelstra he might get Westbrook to be more efficient. I think OKC has been far too lenient towards Westbrook allowing him to do basically whatever he wants. It is a risky move but it seems that Miami thinks they can use him(well, unless this is a ploy to get Washington to decide to move Beal before Miami is no longer a suiter this year or next).
contract
RealGM

Post#85 » by contract » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Magic Boo wrote:Hell no. I dont understand how anyone would want him on his team. This dude could not win with Durant but hes going to win with Butler because "heat system"? bull. Bringing him in means no more point winslow and less touches for Jimmy. This will cause chemistry issues real quik. His contract coupled with jimmys puts us in an island and i tell you it will take years to recover from it bc we will probably send assets to get rid of westbrooks contract in 1-2 years and also cant sign any players in free agency.

Pat is 74 years old. Patience is a luxury he can't afford. He seems ready to go all in one final time.
delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#86 » by delanka » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm

King_Supreme wrote:Even though it likely won’t end w/ winning anything, let’s do it. We can’t tank since we did the Butler trade, let’s go all in.

Westbrook and Schroeder for Winslow; Bam, Dragic, and James Johnson

:banghead:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#87 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Wiltside wrote:I’d definitely prefer Westbrook over CP3 and it isn’t close for mine.
Is that individually compared, playing alongside Jimmy Butler with Jimmy being the #1, or both?

I like CP3 better than Westbrook but could concede Westbrook maybe better at this stage of his career. However as a shooter CP3 should age better plus he will likely be a better costar / role player compared to RW.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#88 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:25 pm

contract wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
contract wrote:What's the proposed deal? If we could get CP3 for nothing but salaries we'd like to dump, I'd be willing to go that route.

I would have to imagine some combo of Dragic, Winslow, Waiters, and Johnson would be what Miami is willing to part with right now. I don't think Houston would be that interested in that package. So i think the best way to get CP3 to Miami would be a 3way trade

Miami gets - CP3
Houston gets - Russell Westbrook
OKC gets - a combo Dragic, Johnson, Waiters, and Winslow

If I'm Miami I wouldn't part with Bam or Herro for Westbrook or CP3.

Nope. That's too rich for a guy that age with that contract. If I'm going that route, it's only going to be if it preserves ALL of my trade assets.

Make it ...

Miami gets - CP3
Houston gets - Westbrook
OKC gets - Waiters, Johnson, C.Lee + 2 Houston 1st round picks
Mavs get - Dragic

http://tradenba.com/trades/BJvnWr7br

Then we can talk.
Love this trade too

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Post#89 » by delanka » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 pm

OKC has asked the Heat to include impressive rookie guard Tyler Herro in the proposed trade, but the Heat has been very reluctant to do that. Because Herro signed with the Heat on Wednesday, he cannot be included in any trade for 30 days, but that isn’t viewed as an obstacle.

At another point in the discussions this week, the Thunder asked the Heat to include two among Herro, Bam Adebayo and Justise Winslow, according to a source in touch with one of the two teams. The Heat also is opposed to including Adebayo, whom Erik Spoelstra ranked among the best centers in the league in the final months of last season

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883203.html
tv24lakers
Junior
And1: 96

Post#90 » by tv24lakers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:38 pm

If I were the Heat FO I would exchange salaries for Russ and a draft pick or two, provided that Herro and Bam are excluded.

Russ is a 3 year gamble, his fourth season is a Player Option. Should he choose to stay, which I expect he would, his expiring contract becomes a nice trade asset.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,387

Post#91 » by svart » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Not pretending to be a Miami hardcore fan, but i watched this team closely since i got full access to NBA through League pass six years ago, so i have an ideea what’s going on.

So i’ll say no, if it will cost bam, justice and herro, or even two of them. You are better off, waiting for another season to clear cap. I am also not sure how butler will get along with him anyway.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#92 » by tv24lakers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 pm

svart wrote:Not pretending to be a Miami hardcore fan, but i watched this team closely since i got full access to NBA through League pass six years ago, so i have an ideea what’s going on.

So i’ll say no, if it will cost bam, justice and herro, or even two of them. You are better off, waiting for another season to clear cap. I am also not sure how butler will get along with him anyway.

The fit w/ Butler is key here. If they cannot gel together the move would be disastrous. Clearly, Pat Riley knows that going in and will use that to his advantage negotiating an equitable exchange. & I suspect Pat having a run with the "Heatles" understands how to manage egos.
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#93 » by Maroko » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:21 pm

delanka wrote:OKC has asked the Heat to include impressive rookie guard Tyler Herro in the proposed trade, but the Heat has been very reluctant to do that. Because Herro signed with the Heat on Wednesday, he cannot be included in any trade for 30 days, but that isn’t viewed as an obstacle.

At another point in the discussions this week, the Thunder asked the Heat to include two among Herro, Bam Adebayo and Justise Winslow, according to a source in touch with one of the two teams. The Heat also is opposed to including Adebayo, whom Erik Spoelstra ranked among the best centers in the league in the final months of last season

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883203.html

svart
Analyst
And1: 3,387

Post#94 » by svart » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 pm

tv24lakers wrote:
svart wrote:Not pretending to be a Miami hardcore fan, but i watched this team closely since i got full access to NBA through League pass six years ago, so i have an ideea what’s going on.

The fit w/ Butler is key here. If they cannot gel together the move would be disastrous. Clearly, Pat Riley knows that going in and will use that to his advantage negotiating an equitable exchange. & I suspect Pat having a run with the "Heatles" understands how to manage egos.

Neither of russ and jimmy is wade or bosh, talking about egos.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
tv24lakers
Junior

Post#95 » by tv24lakers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm

svart wrote:
tv24lakers wrote:

Neither of russ and jimmy is wade or bosh, talking about egos.

True. I would say Jimmy more so than Russ has a reputation of being a difficult teammate. The concern with Russ has been his inability to dial the motor down and play a more controlled. If Riley & Sploestra are able to break through to Russ... the Heat will be dangerous.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#96 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Hell freaking no to Chris Paul like if eva regardless if they give up some freebees on top. Paul is the worst contract in entire NBA for a 34 year old aging PG. He already dropped 5% in FG% last year while dropping 3point percentage yearly last 2 years and hasn't played more than 61 games in a season in over 3 years. Is that worth $44 mil per season?????

I take Westbrook hands down any day of week as long as it costs only one of the 3 youth aka Winslow, Bam or Herro. I prefer to keep Bam as Heat big.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
contract
RealGM

Post#97 » by contract » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:01 pm

tv24lakers wrote:If I were the Heat FO I would exchange salaries for Russ and a draft pick or two, provided that Herro and Bam are excluded.

Russ is a 3 year gamble, his fourth season is a Player Option. Should he choose to stay, which I expect he would, his expiring contract becomes a nice trade asset.

Fans say this all the time, but what was the last large expiring contract that turned out to be a trade asset? Those things generally have to be hauled away. We ended up giving up a 1st round pick to clear Whiteside's expiring deal. Also, as far as I can tell, no one has tried to acquire Dragic's expiring contract.
contract
RealGM

Post#98 » by contract » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:07 pm

But the thing is that we've already traded for Butler who is 30, and the clock is ticking on his prime. Every year wasted narrows the window to win if he's who we're building around.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,192

Post#99 » by TroubleS0me » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 am

Read on Twitter
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#100 » by Maroko » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 am