ImageImageImage

Guerschon Yabusele appreciation thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Re: Guerschon Yabusele appreciation thread 

Post#61 » by cl2117 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Wish him nothing but the best.

Really not his fault that Ainge jumped on him way too early. Set him up for failure from the start. When we drafted him I was shocked because I had him pegged as a random Euro stash that might be worth a pick at the top of the 2nd round. 16 was a reach and everyone knew it. Yabu did us a solid and stayed in China, probably best for both parties, which also was part of the reason we took him.

He was always going to be a guy who wasn't ever actually going to contribute to the C's, which is why it was such a misused pick. Best case scenario was that he ended up blossoming right at the end of his rookie contract, at which point he'd likely have priced himself out of Boston. He was so raw there was no way for him to contribute in a meaningful way for at least a couple years.

I was really high on a couple other guys who haven't exactly panned out either, so I can't really trash Danny too much on this (I liked TLC, Zizic, Korkmaz all of whom have been "meh" themselves).

I definitely don't want to blame Yabs for his draft slot. Seemed like a good guy, great locker room presence, teammates seem to be really pulling for him which says a lot to me.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#62 » by Leprechaun18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Yabu had some skills in the post, but his post skills where not as advanced as Sullinger's, and he never made full use of his size and power. One needs to use what they got.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#63 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:07 pm

As bad as the Giddens pick.. Terrible pick there - guy was supposed to be Rodney Rogers - not half as good as BBD or Sullinger.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#64 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Well, there were six guys available after #16 who turned out to be good players: Siakam (#27) Murray (#29) Zubac (#32), Brogdon (#36), VanVleet (undrafted) and Ferrell (undrafted). Except for those guys, no one drafted after #16 has done much at all.

Bender (#4), Dunn (#5), Chriss (#8), Maker (#10), Papagiannis (#13) and Valentine (#14) were also busts. It was a weak draft overall--not as bad as 2000, but weak.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#65 » by El Hespiritu » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

What's all of that body shaming stuff?

He's so thick as Jason Momoa.

-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
TinyArchibald
Freshman
And1: 150

Post#66 » by TinyArchibald » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Why are people feeling bad for him?

He got waived, right?

That means he gets $3 Million or so not to play, right?

If I had to lose my job, getting that much money to sit on my butt and figure out what I should do next in life would be a good way for it to happen.

(Back when I was thirty something and single, got a six month severance pay. A couple of my fellow laid off co-workers and I tried to start our own business. It failed, but I ended up getting a better job before I ran out of money. Trying my hand at owning a business was a good life experience.)

Unless he's a complete idiot, Guerschon should be able to set himself up for life.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#67 » by Taget » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:54 pm

He was a reach we took a gamble on. But some gambles don't work out. None of this is his fault. He was too much of a long term project and we needed the roster spot for better prospects. He will find a team in Europe closer to home who will pay him and he'll be just fine.

Hopefully he had a great time playing for a great team in a great city and has success in the future.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#68 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Taget wrote:Hopefully he had a great time playing for a great team in a great city and has success in the future.

Yes, he seems like a nice kid. Hopefully some agents are starting to call Danny now that there is an open roster spot in Boston.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#69 » by canman1971 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:26 pm

This is why I have a problem with "appreciation" threads. Certainly some are warranted, but WTF is there to appreciate about Yab? Good for him for making millions for doing nothing for the Celtics and I only wish him the best but appreciation? Sorry, not happening.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,640

Post#70 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Read on Twitter
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#71 » by greenroom31 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

One love baby — Yabu always part of the family even if not the prince.
Domenico
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#72 » by Domenico » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Just signed in China.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#73 » by darrendaye » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:34 pm

I suspect this wasn't really meant to be an appreciation thread. /sarcasm :)
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#74 » by Tiny ball » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 pm

:roll:
Curmudgeon wrote:
Taget wrote:Hopefully he had a great time playing for a great team in a great city and has success in the future.

Yes, he seems like a nice kid. Hopefully some agents are starting to call Danny now that there is an open roster spot in Boston.

Why in the world would you call a six foot eight two hundred 60 plus pounds black man a kid. It is totally disrespectful. He is not a baby goat!!

Male goats over the age of 6 months are called bucklings, which are simply immature male goats. Once a female goat has reached maturity, she is called a doe. A mature male goat is called a buck.Dec 21, 2017.

A kid is a under 6 month old baby goat. If I remember correctly.

I have, I'm sure called young players pups and youngens before. After listening to Danny I will try to be more respectful. I'm fairly sure I have not called them kids?
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#75 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Yabs with some curious things to say (eg, via google translation: "One day, Danny Ainge (the Celtics General Manager, ed) came to see me to tell me that I was one of the best players on the team and he did not understand why I was not playing. It's incomprehensible.":

http://sport24.lefigaro.fr/basket/nba/actualites/yabusele-j-ai-encore-plus-la-rage-et-les-crocs-pour-tout-casser-970859
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#76 » by Roddy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:40 pm

- He wants playing time, this is why he will play in China. Still want to play in the NBA. He has received some interest from teams but it was non guaranteed contracts.
- He has learned a lot with Al, Kyrie, Jayson... he thinks that he should have worked more on his game.
- He thinks that Stevens didn't have confidence in him. It was hard mentally to not play, even in garbage time.
- Danny told him that he was sorry that it didn't worked for him.
- It was hard to go from 30 minutes in China to 0 minute in the NBA.
JAYZGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,528

Post#77 » by JAYZGOAT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:20 pm

He definitely had CAKE
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#78 » by Half-Full » Sun Oct 3, 2021 6:14 pm

Not sure where to post this, but I guess this is as good a place as any. Never was much love for Guerschon on this board, and I understand why. He was a little raw to say the least, but I've always gravitated to end of benchers, hoping that they might develop beyond expectations. In any case, that never happened for Guerschon during his time with the Celtics. Lately, though, he seems to be finding his groove. He played well for the French team in the Olympics, and recently with top Euroleague team, Real Madrid. Here are highlights from a few days ago, vs Anadalou Efes. I'm happy to see that things seem to be going well for him. Do we still retain his rights?

Note: Old friend Shane Larkin plays for Anadalou Efes.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#79 » by Spin Move » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:31 pm

Half-Full wrote:Not sure where to post this, but I guess this is as good a place as any. Never was much love for Guerschon on this board, and I understand why. He was a little raw to say the least, but I've always gravitated to end of benchers, hoping that they might develop beyond expectations. In any case, that never happened for Guerschon during his time with the Celtics. Lately, though, he seems to be finding his groove. He played well for the French team in the Olympics, and recently with top Euroleague team, Real Madrid. Here are highlights from a few days ago, vs Anadalou Efes. I'm happy to see that things seem to be going well for him. Do we still retain his rights?

Note: Old friend Shane Larkin plays for Anadalou Efes.

No rights, he was waived
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#80 » by Matt5 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:27 pm

I appreciate the fact that this is his last year on our payroll!

Return to Boston Celtics