Landry Shamet
Ivica Zubac
Moe Harkless
JaMychal Green
Rodney McGruder
Jerome Robinson
Mfiondu Kabengele
Terance Mann

What is your ideal depth chart right now?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

Re: 2019-20 LAC Depth Chart 

Post#2 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm

PG: Beverley (+SG), Shamet (+SG,+SF)
SG: George (+SF), Williams (+PG), Robinson
SF: Leonard, McGruder (+SG), Mann, Coffey (+PG,+SG)
PF: Harkless (+SF), Green (+SF,+C)
C: Zubac, Harrell (+PF), Kabengele (+PF)

(Coffey is a part of the team for having signed a two-way contract)
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#3 » by Forte IV » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 pm

PG: Pat / Lou / Mann
SG: PG13 / Shamet / Rome
SF: Kawhi / McGruder
PF: JaMyke (shooting/d) / Harkless
C: Zubac / Trez / Fi

Only 4 consistent starters will be Pat, Paul, Kawhi, and Zu. 5th starter can be switched out depending on matchups.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:04 pm

The dream with the 2-3-4 is to play "positionless basketball"
depth charts should be less important this year than any in Clippers history

Zubac is the 5 when we need one
Harrell can only play the 5--unless the jumper he's worked on all summer is NBA-ready
otherwise, you can go "positionless" there too

so mostly, it's about PG

--Beverley and Paul George averaged 4 assists last year so they should split the starters' playmaking

--@ 5.4 apg, Lou ends up as the PG with the 2nd unit

--Shamet has PG experience too, so if he can just bring the ball up sometimes, that might be enough, and you might see him with the 2nd unit to relieve Lou of that thankless job

in fact Shamet with the 2nd unit might have some real traction, stretching the floor for Lou and Trezz

Mann is already pencilled in as the 3rd string PG I think
he's killing it in summer league

Robinson's supposed to be able to play some point but he's been on the floor with Mann as the 2

for that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Mann works into the rotation ahead of Robinson, who's really a duplication of Shamet

Coffey thinks he can play the point :-)--we'll see

https://www.twincities.com/2019/07/10/amir-coffey-proves-he-belongs-in-nba-finds-a-home-with-clippers/

regardless, I don't think our two-way guy is gonna get much burn with this stacked roster
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#5 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 pm

I don't know what the depth chart will look like as we have multiple players who can play and guard multiple positions, pretty versitile roster. I think if everyone stays healthy, we'll finish the season with below MPG averages.

Kawhi Leonard 33
Paul George 31
Lou Williams 28
Pat Beverley 28
Montrezl Harrell 28
Landry Shamet 24
Ivica Zubac 22
JaMychal Green 18
Moe Harkless 15
Rodney McGruder 8
Mfiondu Kabengele 3
Jerome Robinson 1
Terance Mann 1
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#6 » by SK21209 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Forte IV wrote:PG: Pat / Lou / Mann
SG: PG13 / Shamet / Rome
PF: JaMyke (shooting/d) / Harkless
C: Zubac / Trez / Fi

Only 4 consistent starters will be Pat, Paul, Kawhi, and Zu. 5th starter can be switched out depending on matchups.

This. I hope Jerome doesn't get buried on the bench with all the depth on the wing now, but Doc will probably rather have McGruder out there for some defense with Lou and Shamet (because we all know we're still getting a lot of all-bench lineups). I'd also like to see JaMychal switched out of the starting lineup for Shamet or Harkless occasionally depending on matchups.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#7 » by illastrate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 am

esqtvd wrote:Mann is already pencilled in as the 3rd string PG I think
he's killing it in summer league

Mann has already shown more in 3 games than Sin has in 2 years. I know, it's Summer League, but he has a real tangible skillset.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:19 am

donemilio21 wrote:I don't know what the depth chart will look like as we have multiple players who can play and guard multiple positions, pretty versitile roster. I think if everyone stays healthy, we'll finish the season with below MPG averages.

Kawhi Leonard 33
Paul George 31
Lou Williams 28
Pat Beverley 28
Montrezl Harrell 28
Landry Shamet 24
Ivica Zubac 22
JaMychal Green 18
Moe Harkless 15
Rodney McGruder 8
Mfiondu Kabengele 3
Jerome Robinson 1
Terance Mann 1

This looks good. And it will add up to much more than 240 minutes because of load management, where guys skip entire games and the back of the bench either plays extended minutes or doesn't play at all. And I'd like Lou to come in at 24 mpg and get some entire games off as well.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Dunken Dave
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#9 » by Dunken Dave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 am

Kawhi. LouWill
Shamet. PBev
PG. Harkless
Green. Montrezl
Zubac. Kabengele
ACM_Wunder Dirk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by ACM_Wunder Dirk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm here in peace, guys :)
Don't u think Clippers are too weak in the center position? Is Zubac ready to face people like Jokic? And are Green+Harrell enough as PFs? I'm asking it cuz I really like Clips team.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#11 » by Vae Victus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Clippers need a thug bruiser C and a veteran playmaking PG

Those are the 2 main weaknesses right now. Quality size and someone other than Kawhi/PG13/Lou Will that can create.

With luck TOR will buy out Marc Gasol and/or Kyle Lowry if their season ends up a mess, since theyre expiring. If the Clips can pick up players like that after the buyout deadline they'll be loaded.
Hype97
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#12 » by Hype97 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:05 pm

I like the idea of Green and Shamet splitting time as starters depending on the matchup at the 4. I'm not very keen on the idea of Mo starting at the 4.

The part I'm interested to see is if doc's hand is finally forced to stagger his stars now that they play the same position or is it still gonna be the Lou/Trez show off the bench?
illastrate
Starter

Post#13 » by illastrate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm

ACM_Wunder Dirk wrote:I'm here in peace, guys :)
Don't u think Clippers are too weak in the center position? Is Zubac ready to face people like Jokic? And are Green+Harrell enough as PFs? I'm asking it cuz I really like Clips team.

They're actively looking for him. Guys like Noah make sense. If nothing happens now, they'll wait for the buyout market to pick up a big.

Vae Victus wrote:Clippers need a thug bruiser C and a veteran playmaking PG

Those are the 2 main weaknesses right now. Quality size and someone other than Kawhi/PG13/Lou Will that can create.

With luck TOR will buy out Marc Gasol and/or Kyle Lowry if their season ends up a mess, since theyre expiring. If the Clips can pick up players like that after the buyout deadline they'll be loaded.

There's no rush for them to find those two guys right now, so the buyout market may be the play.
UKClipperfan
Junior
And1: 181

Post#14 » by UKClipperfan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 am

PG: Bev / Lou / Mann
SG: PG / Shamet / Robinson
PF: Green / Harkless
C: Zubac / Trezz / Kabengele
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#15 » by Young Sterling » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:34 am

PG: Shamet / Bev
SG: PG / Lou
C: Zubac / Trezz

**Closing Death Lineup: Sham, Bev, PG, Kawhi, Trez

I'm torn between Shamet and Bev for starting PG.... Adding Sham to Kawhi and PG could essentially look the same as if you added Curry to that duo... On the other hand, Pat Bev is a defensive menace and we know what that would look like...

Golden State Route w/ Landry offers a dimension which would make people fear us for our 3 Pt shooting.
Chicago Bulls Route w/ Bev offers a dimension which would make people fear us for our defense. As well as 3s sure, but Landry nails more and would nail more with all the extra spacing.

Soooo many options!
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,425

Post#16 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 pm

I actually don’t think a C is super necessary--it would be nice insurance and a bonus, but not a necessity. We’ve got a big C (Zubac), we’ve got a shorter but long armed, high motor, 6 MOY C (Trezz). We’ve got a rookie that should get some garbage time burn (Kabengele). We saw that JaMychal can effectively play small ball C in some matchups. I think Trezz could should get time at PF from time to time, but still …. There are about 3950 minutes at the C position. If you break down the minutes as

Zubac 1700, Trezz 1550, Kabengele 350, Green 350

we’re pretty comfortable there. I’ll say again—I’m in favor of a vet min guy … Noah would be great. Luol Deng would be very good. But those players are insurance more than anything. If we load manage our stars and have only occasional injuries, we are talking about acquiring a player who would play, maybe, 400-600 minutes.

As for the PG thing … I guess I’m the only one that doesn’t think we really need another PG. I mean, it wouldn’t be bad or anything … but Sham played PG in college. Mann played some point. Pat Bev is a PG. Lou was actually the best distributor on the court last year. And Kawhi and PG combined for nearly 7.5 apg last year. I don’t think PG play or ball movement is an issue.

C/PF Trezz, Green, Zubac (s), George (s), Harkless, Kabengele
SF—Kawhi (s), Harkless, George
SG—Sham (s), Lou, McGruder, George, Rome, Mann
PG—Bev (s), Lou, Sham, Mann

I agree that we’re positionless—there will be games where Harkless will start because of load management, and games where JaMychal will start because of matchups. Sham may start sometimes at PG. As long as the team gets enough reps to get a feel for the play of individuals, that’s a (big) strength for us. If we don’t have the practices and court time, though, it could be a short term problem. We’d play our way into figuring it out, but it would be better done outside of game time.

Anyway, I think a vet min PG is likely to play even less that a FA SF/PF or PF/C … if you Bev plays 1850 minutes next year, and 1100 of Lou’s minutes are at PG (and with Sham and McGruder, not mention George and Rome, we’ve got terrific depth at the 2 … so Lou will be coming in at the 1 as far as I can see), you’ve got 1000 minutes to fill at the position. That’s not a huge amount, and I’m curious about how Sham and (especially) Mann could do there. Sure, I’d like to have a vet min guy for coverage … but I think the F/C vet is more important.

Keep in mind that we’re talking about, like, 13th and 14th men here. Our depth is unbelievable.
illastrate
Starter

Post#17 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 am

Young Sterling wrote:PG: Shamet / Bev

I'm torn between Shamet and Bev for starting PG.... Adding Sham to Kawhi and PG could essentially look the same as if you added Curry to that duo... On the other hand, Pat Bev is a defensive menace and we know what that would look like...

Golden State Route w/ Landry offers a dimension which would make people fear us for our 3 Pt shooting.
Chicago Bulls Route w/ Bev offers a dimension which would make people fear us for our defense. As well as 3s sure, but Landry nails more and would nail more with all the extra spacing.

Soooo many options!

I think Doc will go with Lou over Sham purely because of his elite shot creation and clutch genes.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#18 » by Young Sterling » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:40 am

illastrate wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:PG: Shamet / Bev

Soooo many options!

I think Doc will go with Lou over Sham purely because of his elite shot creation and clutch genes.

LOL. Dude our team is so deep I legit forgot about Lou when I was thinking of our death lineup. Yeah Lou's definitely going to close games. I wonder if Doc is gonna close with Shamet or Bev though with him. I could totally see him closing with a Lou + Sham backcourt, similarly to how he would end with Jamal Crawford, JJ, and CP3 backcourt, even though it came at the expense of defense. Don't think our defense would take a nose dive with a weaker backcourt... all things considered.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#19 » by og15 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 pm

I think the starting lineup will fluctuate based on opponent.

Against most teams:
Patrick Beverley / Lou Williams
Landry Shamet / Rodney McGruder
Paul George / Landry Shamet
Kawhi Leonard / Mo Harkless
Ivica Zubac / Montrezl Harrell

Against teams with a bigger PF they don’t want George or Kawhi going against:
Patrick Beverley / Lou Williams
Paul George / Landry Shamet
Kawhi Leonard / Mo Harkless
JaMychal Green
Ivica Zubac / Montrezl Harrell