ImageImageImage

Trade for Westbrook?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Re: Trade for Westbrook? 

Post#921 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 am

440BB wrote:It looks to me like both Miami and Detroit were just being used to bump up the deal with Houston from the start. They said early on that they were going to honor Westbrook's preference. I think Westbrook was in on it with his teasing retweets about Miami.

I could be wrong but if I am, Houston was his second choice. We were never really in the conversation.

This is the right answer. We were probably "interested" for a couple of days and then waned off once we knew WB's desire to play with his BFF Harden and using Miami as his side piece.

Stories are going to come out to say we were never really in the running, which is true considering how fast the HOU thing happened once Windhorst reported it.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,219

Post#922 » by vege » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am

:( I wish we got him.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#923 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

Gores is a phony conman. Don't accept that bull that he's willing to pay the tax "for the right player". Westbrook was one of those "right players" and went elsewhere for nothing.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#924 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am

i'm so happy we did not get this albatross contract that would have destroyed the rebuild for at least 5 years.

The pistons we not losers it's all you people who thought he was really coming here that lost their minds.

47 pages of preaching deals what a waist of time.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#925 » by 440BB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

Stefanski probably had two conversations, one to talk about the idea and one to make an offer.

That's led to thousands of conversations here and elsewhere, about a guy that likely wasn't ever going to come here.

Hope Westbrook has four good years in the western conference. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...the summer league!
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
ChuckVanBrown
Senior
And1: 352

Post#926 » by ChuckVanBrown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:15 pm

We dodged a bullet by not trading for Westbrook. It might have been exciting for a season or two, but that contract would have put a stranglehold on the franchise after that. He’s incredibly talented but his skillset won’t age well. We all know that, so why take such a high stakes gamble?

Above all else, OKC wanted to accommodate Westbrook, and rightfully so. He put his heart and soul into that franchise, and likely would have objected to coming here. OKC wouldn’t have traded him here unless he was on board. Sounds like he wasn’t, so no sense in dwelling on something outside of our control.

It’s been a successful offseason thus far. Nothing earth shattering, but our bench is improved and we held onto our future assets. We drafted a high upside player, and Hopefully Brown and Kennard can improve. Expirings like RJ and Galloway will likely play hard, and will hold value at the deadline. We can always cash in at a later point if needed.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#927 » by The Penguin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:20 pm

I wanted Westbrook. I thought he was obtainable and the price would be right. It was. But he wasn’t obtainable. This is a new age of “pre-agency”, guys with multiple years on their deals getting dealt to there selected destinations. The Clippers didn’t care about Blake, which is why we got him and we overpaid to do it. But this isn’t even free agency, we’ve seen nearly a dozen “star” level players dealt for packages we could have matched or beat. We aren’t even in the conversation.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#928 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 pm

^Which is why drafting Doumbouya could pay off - there isn't a home town he can demand to be traded too in the league. I'm about ready to go all in on international players who don't hand pick their cities.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#929 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:21 pm

I was OK with the idea of getting him, for the right price. One FRP would've been too much for me, though, much less two.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#930 » by ducler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Kilo wrote:^Which is why drafting Doumbouya could pay off - there isn't a home town he can demand to be traded too in the league. I'm about ready to go all in on international players who don't hand pick their cities.
Sekou has also played for Poitiers and Limoges in France, cities where there is pretty much nothing to do.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#931 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter

That answers the great trade kicker mystery
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#932 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:57 pm

The Penguin wrote:I wanted Westbrook. I thought he was obtainable and the price would be right. It was. But he wasn’t obtainable. This is a new age of “pre-agency”, guys with multiple years on their deals getting dealt to there selected destinations. The Clippers didn’t care about Blake, which is why we got him and we overpaid to do it. But this isn’t even free agency, we’ve seen nearly a dozen “star” level players dealt for packages we could have matched or beat. We aren’t even in the conversation.

I didn’t agree with giving 2 picks. The Rockets had to give two picks because adding Paul for OKC didn’t get them below the luxury. The price probably was too high for Detroit. I’m assuming that the Pistons front office learned from SVG’s approach/trade for Blake. Good job Ed because I know Gores would pulled the trigger on a Westbrook deal if presented to him.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#933 » by The Penguin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:06 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:I wanted Westbrook. I thought he was obtainable and the price would be right. It was. But he wasn’t obtainable. This is a new age of “pre-agency”, guys with multiple years on their deals getting dealt to there selected destinations. The Clippers didn’t care about Blake, which is why we got him and we overpaid to do it. But this isn’t even free agency, we’ve seen nearly a dozen “star” level players dealt for packages we could have matched or beat. We aren’t even in the conversation.

I didn’t agree with giving 2 picks. The Rockets had to give two picks because adding Paul for OKC didn’t get them below the luxury. The price probably was too high for Detroit. I’m assuming that the Pistons front office learned from SVG’s approach/trade for Blake. Good job Ed because I know Gores would pulled the trigger on a Westbrook deal if presented to him.

I think 1 pick was for taking on CP3’s contract and a 2nd was the price. So playing it straight up with us likely would have been the something like the expirings of Reggie / Galloway / a 1st / a pick swap / maybe Thon to get the money a bit closer. But I’m sure Westbrook made it clear he had no interest in coming. Teams have historically been afraid of agents in these situations, that or OKC wanting to do Westbrook a favor were likely big factors.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#934 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 pm

The Penguin wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:

I think 1 pick was for taking on CP3’s contract and a 2nd was the price. So playing it straight up with us likely would have been the something like the expirings of Reggie / Galloway / a 1st / a pick swap / maybe Thon to get the money a bit closer. But I’m sure Westbrook made it clear he had no interest in coming. Teams have historically been afraid of agents in these situations, that or OKC wanting to do Westbrook a favor were likely big factors.

In the end, I’m glad that we didn’t trade for him. Smart move by the Pistons front office for once.

Return to Detroit Pistons